In praise of Katic today

Jan Wyck

Acknowledgement 1: Goldson and Helmander had perfectly good games today even if they were not pressurised to any great extent. They still had a job to do, and they performed well.

Acknowledgement 2: I'm in real danger of becoming Niko's FF fanboy but apologies shall there be none.

My polemic is thus. We came up against a team that played with a negative bank of 4/5, 5/4 as the game suited. Up to them. But we had numerous situations of corners and free kicks to profit from. We eventually did when Barasic scored. Yet, we have all observed from this season so far that Katic is our most potent weapon in these situations. I appreciate in a rotation formation that Stevie G operates he won't play in every game but we missed him today.

Also Jordan Jones has made a promising start, but I'm yet to be convinced that he is effective against a packed defence as he is an open game. We should have an alternative on the bench.

Last edited:
I thought we missed Ojo and Davis more than Katic today, albeit Davis did come on.

Craft and the ability to do the unexpected were what we were crying out for.

On saying that, will be stunned if Katic isn't back on Thursday.

Katic is a huge loss in the opposition box but I'm not convinced he's a better defender than Helander just yet. I see where you're coming from regarding these games where set-pieces are often the difference, though.

Great to have options after the dross we've put up with at center back in recent times.

Acknowledgement 1: Goldson and Helmander had perfectly good games today even if they were not pressurised to any great extent. They still had a job to do, and they performed well.

Acknowledgement 2: I'm in real danger of becoming of becoming Niko's FF fanboy but apologies shall there be none.

My polemic is thus. We came up against a team that played with a negative bank of 4/5, 5/4 as the game suited. Up to them. But we had numerous situations of corners and free kicks to profit from. We eventually did when Barasic scored. Yet, we have all observed from this season so far that Katic is our most potent weapon in these situations. I appreciate in a rotation formation that Stevie G operates he won't play in every game but we missed him today.

Also Jordan Jones has made a promising start, but I'm yet to be convinced that he is effective against a packed defence as he is an open game. We should have an alternative on the bench.

That alternative will be Kent imo

I think Davis and Aribo will be the two most important players for us over the course of the season.

Katic, though, will be a really important weapon from free kicks, and Morelos seems to be playing on another level this season so far, so really hope we can keep him too.

For me katic is our best cb . I think he is a massive presence in both boxes . Jones is a squad player imo . I know it's wishful thinking but , I think Kent on the left flank would really make a huge difference. I hope we can make Europa league groups and the board pushes boat out for Kent and a left back.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree, but given the fixtures coming up, I understand why we're not yet able to shuffle the team appropriately. Will be interesting to judge after the international break.

I thought we could have changed to a back 3 today and play for set pieces, Goldson, Helander & Katic all attacking the ball at corners, Tav & Barasic getting the crosses in, it was always going to take a set piece to win this type of game.

I thought we could have changed to a back 3 today and play for set pieces, Goldson, Helander & Katic all attacking the ball at corners, Tav & Barasic getting the crosses in, it was always going to take a set piece to win this type of game.

In a game where we didnt need to CDMs let alone three CBs, I cannot get my head round this thinking?

Why not just put the three of them AND Edmundson in the team and take Defoe off too?

We really shouldn’t have to rely on centre halves to get us goals especially v the likes of st mirren but the op is correct the big guy is a real threat in set piece situations. Sadly we are very limited in the air when he’s not in the team.

There are 3 good centre backs competing to partner Goldson.
He is the manager's trusted general in central defence.

Acknowledgement 2: I'm in real danger of becoming Niko's FF fanboy but apologies shall there be none.

Gerrard was guilty of overplaying Goldson last season and so far has fallen into the same trap. You're correct about jj, he needs to develope his one on one , today was a day for Stewart who has quicker feet around the box.

I love Niko and was surprised he wasn't playing. But we've done alright today and he's still our player. I suppose I'm saying, in Gerrard I trust.

For me katic is our best cb . I think he is a massive presence in both boxes . Jones is a squad player imo . I know it's wishful thinking but , I think Kent on the left flank would really make a huge difference. I hope we can make Europa league groups and the board pushes No at out for Kent and a left back.

Agree with this.

Katic I think is our best CB, more aggressive and dominant in the air than Helander

Helander needs game time and today was a good opportunity.
Masterstroke by Gerrard to play Barasic as left back, we did not need another "defender"

I'm hugely impressed by the way Katic has turned around his shaky start to his Rangers career.
For me he's played himself into a position of first pick for the heavy artillery games.
It's still a great position to be in with Helander and Edmunson vying to grab their chance as automatic starters.
I would be happy with a combo of any one of them!

Katic is a huge loss in the opposition box but I'm not convinced he's a better defender than Helander just yet. I see where you're coming from regarding these games where set-pieces are often the difference, though.

Great to have options after the dross we've put up with at center back in recent times.
I'd have gone with Helander and Katic and rested Goldson

I understand why SG made the change and it’s more than likely going to work like this in several games. Katie on Thursday will be like a warrior and more than likely be our attack plan in set pieces. I fancy him to score on Thursday night.

Katic looks faster tougher and looks more dangerous when he goes up for set pieces.
I think Helmander looks more cumbersome.
I also think Edmondson looks a better player than Helmander.Just my opinion.

Katic should play all the league games because Set Pieces are going to be crucial.

Steve Davis makes our midfield tick and should be prioritised to start league games.

Jones is a player that needs space to run into and should be benched in place of Kent, who is more skillful, when he arrives in time for Sunday's game.

I wasnt impressed with either of the CBs today.

Helander gets a pass given relative fitness levels, but Goldson made a few mistakes too many.

Katic should play all the league games because Set Pieces are going to be crucial.

Steve Davis makes our midfield tick and should be prioritised to start league games.

Jones is a player that needs space to run into and should be benched in place of Kent, who is more skillful, when he arrives in time for Sunday's game.
I think we’ll see the league prioritised once we’ve made the group stage. The income is vital.

Ive not been ovey impressed with Helander thus far. ...which is weird as it's 2 from 2 clean sheets.
I'm actually leaning towards Katic and Edmundson as those who have impressed most.

I wasnt impressed with either of the CBs today.

Helander gets a pass given relative fitness levels, but Goldson made a few mistakes too many.

Eh whit o_O what mistakes did goldson make exactly ? The big man has been brilliant so far this season and today I can’t remember any mistakes.

Katic looks faster tougher and looks more dangerous when he goes up for set pieces.
I think Helmander looks more cumbersome.
I also think Edmondson looks a better player than Helmander.Just my opinion.

Helander is a 26 year old international centre back who has won titles in Sweden, played in Serie A and been to a World Cup, mate. I wouldn't be surprised if Katic turned out to be a better player than him one day, but right now, for me, the Swede is ahead in his development.

For all Katic brings to the side aerially, he still has to improve when it comes to keeping a line and concentrating. I'm sure Gerrard has also alluded to this.

Not doing Niko down here - he's been an excellent signing and I'm sure will be a Rangers player for years to come.

When was the last time we had 4 very good cb's that all offer something different and seldom put a foot wrong?
I thought yesterday we looked solid, they tried to get in amongst it with Hellander and he stood tall so fair play.
Goldsons probably the gaffers number 1, Hellander will be the second pick with Katic and Edmundson slotting in as and when.
Op - I will join the fanboys club, big Katic is a beast he will attack everything for 90 minutes, definitely one of my favourite players just down to sheer effort and determination to win everything.

Our best two centre backs are Katic and Helander

Goldson is our best central defender and that's why the manager always selects him.

The strongest physically and doesn't dive in the way Niko does at times.

Katic is definitely the most dangerous in the opposition box however.

All 4 of our central defenders are of a very high quality, but Katic and Goldson deserve to be 1st choice at the moment.

I think Helander will cost us goals, he wants too much time on the ball and as we know you don’t get that in Scotland. It’s early days for Helander but right now I’d have katic and one other.

Katic for me is the first pick of the centre halves.

He can be a bit naive defensively at times but with him in the side you genuinely feel every attacking corner he'll be on the end of or causing enough grief that he creates space for someone else.

I said as much yesterday to some friends that a game like that away from home in the SPL you're crying out for that guy who can nick you something from a set piece.

As it turned out it was another Croatian that saved us!

Spot on, makes me wonder why we actually had to spend 3 million on another centre back? I know gerrard wanted 4 but surely a space couldve been left Available for experience to the youth academy.

Hellander was always looking for the ball and was far better at distribution than Katic. Also Barasic looked better beside

I felt Hellander was better at covering LB. Hard to say as StMirren didn’t push that hard. But promising start of a better left side with Hellander and Barasic maybe working better together.

Back