Union Bears Statement on UEFA's decision

There is the assumption that the club hasn’t spoken to any of the fan base. That’s not accurate. But equally it has to continue and grow. I’ve spoken to bloggers, podders, influencers, RSCs, fan groups and more but it’s an ongoing process. We have a massive fan base and I believe the vast majority of us now know what has to be done.

What about letters Greg? Have they been sent to all season ticket holders?

People on here are completely mistaking their unhappiness with the board for defiance over sectarian songs. I haven't seen any indication from anyone within the UB that they are going to belt out the billy boys as defiance to UEFA or the board. They love Rangers like the rest of us and the boys at the top in the UB will know fine well the ramifications. This and other comments they are making is down to the fact that the board isn't taking part in meaningful communication with them, and the fact they've been singled out from the rest, when it wasn't just them singing.

There is definitely a contingent of people who care more about the UB as a group, and their right to say and sing whatever they want, than they do about Rangers as a club. For example, there was posters on here the other day happy to lose European football if it meant we still sang TBB. However that seems to be more the "stauncher than thou" brigade rather than the UB themselves.

The only issue i have with it is - what exactly can the board do in this situation? They cant exactly go to war with UEFA, because they are the decision makers and their word is law. They cant go about arguing the meaning of the word "19th Century Terrorist" either, that's an absolute pipe dream and would make the club look absolutely ridiculous. Especially when we have been found guilty of a breach of their rules, and rightly so (according to their rules).
FARE is another kettle of fish altogether. And though i have severe reservations over their aims, i dont feel we can go on the offensive now, at least until this dies down and we can be seen as a credible opponent of them, as right now itll just come across as sour grapes and make us receive more punishments

As part of the conversation on safe standing the club discussed the singing and how it could come to bite us if it went on. That’s what has happened - unfortunately despite the clubs warnings it’s still come as a shock.
Out of interest has it ever moved on from conversations or are we still at the "looking into it"phase

so lets just take it all bit by bit , till we lose our identity, our beliefs and our integrity. Its already started ie orange strips, whats next? Rule britannia?

Lets just give in and roll over!
Getting kicked out of European football either this season or the next would do almost immeasurable damage to our club and reputation mate.

We simply can’t run that risk. But we need to get the gloves off in terms of dealings with this FARE mob as well as that vermin across the city. The board can’t sit still here and at the same time the fans can’t pretend that all is well and rosy with the songbook and we don’t need to change.

Probably the most difficult times since 2014 we are facing as a club here. Let’s remember we also have this slug Ashley to deal with as well! Losing revenue and sponsorship from UEFA sanctions could be critical to our viability

A statement which, in the current circumstances, is extremely dangerous and foolhardy imo

The UBs, in their statement, refusing to understand the realities and gravity of thd UEFA punishment and at the same time effectively turning this into a 'battle' with the board, (as well as UEFA). This leads to some fans thinking, I'll sing what the fck I want - no blazer is telling me what to do. An extremely precarious position given the fact that UEFA have explicitly told us that another infringement will result in stadium closure

My advice to the UBs would be to think very very carefully about the legacy that might leave them with

This isn’t difficult. We were told by UEFA in 2006 that the Billy Boys and 19th Century Terrorist were not acceptable. There competition their rules. And they don’t care what you or I think a 19th Century Terrorist is. Even if they did, they would point to the decisions of the Scottish Courts.

We had a 3 year suspended stand closure in 2011. The only surprise is people are surprised by this.

Rangers or UB07

There’s no choice here

I love my club...I for one will never sing any of the offending songs again(not that I think that will be enough)

The UB07 need to take responsibility. Offer guarantees to the club TBB and Super Rangers will never be sung from their section.

We can move in from this but we need to move on together.

If the UB07 can’t accept this then it’s bye bye lads

so lets just take it all bit by bit , till we lose our identity, our beliefs and our integrity. Its already started ie orange strips, whats next? Rule britannia?

That's the strategy the board has adopted. They'll probably start banning lots of fans now. Another cowardly approach.

We were cited for the offensive songs, they claim to be the ‘Voice of Ibrox’ - are they going to take responsibility for this or not?

I have defended the UB's and do believe they are being unfairly targeted.

However they have shot themselves in the foot though saying that they are the voice of Ibrox so surely they then have to accept they have sung songs which they were told not to sign.

Self entitled statement from the self entitled.

The first sentence tells everything a complete unwillingness to accept that there is a problem and to take a role as the solution rather than being part of the problem.

What do you see our identity and beliefs as?

I suspect for everyone it's a bit different.

The only collective belief we have is that Rangers are the greatest football club on the planet and should be successful in everything it does.

Greg

In these meeting were specific songs named as not to be sung ?

I for one do not sing the sectarian words but do sing the songs . On the whole it is very confusing

I don’t think it is confusing tbh. It’s possibly just unpalatable to those who have sang them for years.

Anything that is perceived to be sectarian. Any reference to the F word or catholics/pope in any form that could be considered discriminatory.

We can’t negotiate our way away from this crossroads. The songs stop or the club could be immensely damaged.

There is the assumption that the club hasn’t spoken to any of the fan base. That’s not accurate. But equally it has to continue and grow. I’ve spoken to bloggers, podders, influencers, RSCs, fan groups and more but it’s an ongoing process. We have a massive fan base and I believe the vast majority of us now know what has to be done.

Greg, I get the impression that you work tirelessly for the good of the club and for that you have my sincere thanks.

I do question the clubs strategy of back-door engagement though. It's something we've seen a few times. It's akin to all the times The Board uses c1872 rather than being forthright and direct.

I'm not blaming you. I do wonder who is advising the club to conduct "guerrilla" engagement though.

It seems to be their go-to position and it's dangerously close to being counter-productive.

Your efforts would be much more successful if the club were also capable of something much more straightforward. Something that DK and SR would hang their own hats on.

Do you remember Walter Smith saying that he'd sung the songs and that times changed?

I always thought that was impressive leadership.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn’t difficult. We were told by UEFA in 2006 that the Billy Boys and 19th Century Terrorist were not acceptable. We had a 3 year suspended stand closure in 2011. The only surprise is people are surprised by this.

What about the fine for Build My Gallows? You forgot to mention this. Is this still a problem?

What are we the support and the Union Bears going to do going forward, that's what I want to know. Laying the blame and pointing fingers isn't going to fix this. How do you solve a problem like a 19th Century Terrorist, or singing about them for that matter.

Yeah that’s a unbelievably daft statement with zero accountability and zero grasp of reality.

Yeah talk about trying to have your cake and eat it too. I’m really not sure how people can back that, the club had to act, it isn’t their fault yet all that statement does is paint the board as the bad guys. Wired to the moon.

Cake and eat it is the perfect quote.

When the atmosphere is positively electric - it’s all because of the UBs (nobody else)

Yet when we have “unfortunate” chants and songs - it’s somebody else’s fault!

Have to say I agree with that, they could have gone further and suggested they use the UB’s to positively determine the song choice at Ibrox and away.

I’ve said this for years this operational board are abaw hair away from Bain et al in how they engage of enemies and positively engaging the UB’s.
Not for me. We have many great songs and that’swhat we should be singing. I am not a fan of ultra style chants and as for fuucking drums at the football. Just a racket.

Reactions: GF7
I think it’s a poor poor statement from
The UB! I think there are some genuine grievances they can bring up. But that statement is poor.

The takeaway from that statement is:

1. They haven’t addressed the problem of the songs that were sung.
2. They haven’t denied it so no.1 above should apply
3. They feel like they have been smeared but to say basically that the club has tacitly approved of their songbook has exacerbated the situation and is a massive own goal (although I get their point....but need to engage brain here and play smarter....that’s just more ammunition for our enemies).

The whole theme of this statement is not conciliatory and a willingness to move forward. Which we as a support NEED right now. Have your grievances but at least acknowledge there is a common enemy and we need to move forward together. Don’t take the huff. Be the bigger man, and choose to affect the change needed to see us flourish. Still fight on multiple fronts. As rangers fans we do this daily anyway.

This statement comes across as stubborn and huffy. And that’s from someone with no axe to grind.

I have defended the UB's and do believe they are being unfairly targeted.

However they have shot themselves in the foot though saying that they are the voice of Ibrox so surely they then have to accept they have sung songs which they were told not to sign.

There the voice of Ibrox who are stuck away in a corner where sound travels shite.
Ah listen to them every 2nd week trying to start traditional Rangers songs with absalutely no one joining in except BF2.
Maybe if the fucking club gave them a proper section they could influence the crowd more.
The guy with the mic has never started the billy boys or the 50 p pish it’s always came from other parts of the ground.

Their FC Midtjylland efforts at Ibrox

Will cause Ibrox Stadium to be shut

And still they will only deny everything and wail and blame others

Having cost Rangers FC, our only focus after all, money and European Football.

But hey, this is UB07FC after all.

Why are you saying that Nelster ? Can’t say I remember much from the match but I’m in the Main Stand,

Fucking weans the lot of them. Grow up

I feel that this is the point people are missing when they try to engage people on this subject. That's who you're dealing with. Either actual children/teenagers or people stuck in a state of arrested development. The ultras thing is one of the few things from European football that we shouldn't have looked to bring in to our club. It almost inevitably becomes an elitist thing between the group and the rest of the fans. That statement basically says that we are the ones who sing and we are important and must be listened to. If it means that the atmosphere at Ibrox is a bit quieter in run of the mill home games, I remember us winning every other week without them doing it. They shouldn't be humoured. The club doesn't trust them to not sing the songs that UEFA have said they aren't allowed to sing. That's why they've been 'punished' and that's the only thing they should be taking away from this and reflecting on.

UEFA have a fixed punishment for this, once the offence has been established, it is in the regulations.

"If one or more of a member association or club’s supporters engage in the behaviour described in paragraph 1, the member association or club responsible is punished with a minimum of a partial stadium closure"

That being the case, and a specific section being identified as where the singing started, it only makes sense for it to be that section is closed.

It is also worth saying that this is also in the same regulation.

" a second offence is punished with one match played behind closed doors and a fine of € 50,000"

So if it happens again that is the punishment, and people already know it.

You've all heard it from the horse's mouth. They were warned and they did not change. Personally, I think they should be disbanded. I'm sick to the back teeth of their "we're better fans than you" shite. %^*& off the lot of ye
The club can close the section and hand out bans but they can't disband the group and either can poster's like you.

Greg, I get the impression that you work tirelessly for the good of the club and for that you have my sincere thanks.

I do question the clubs strategy of back-door engagement though. It's something we've seen a few times. It's akin to all the times The Board uses c1872 rather than being forthright and direct.

I'm not blaming you. I do wonder who is advising the club to conduct "guerrilla" engagement though.

It seems to be their go-to position and it's dangerously close to being counter-productive.

Your efforts would be much more worthwhile if the club were also capable of something much more straightforward. Something that DK and SR would hang their own hats on.

Do you remember Walter Smith saying that he'd sung the songs and that times changed?

I always thought that was impressive leadership.
It seems to me that King and Robertson shy away from any "proper" fan engagement.

For things to change they need to adapt their approach. If not we will just go round in circles. We need leadership. And we need it now more than ever!!

Let's be hearing you Dave King, Stewart Robertson. Engage with the most important people in Rangers!!

Do you think this is actually that complicated?

Everyone surely knows what we can and cannot sing, we had years of the OBFA, people jailed, etc. The reality of it is that we have had a heavier punishment than previous, with worse to come if it carries on, and it needs to stop.

The club have been at this with the fans for many years, we are all grown ups, we need to take responsibility for our own behaviour, and even moreso when it is damaging the club.

Rangers are bigger than any fan, group, song.

Ffs! I'm asking for engagement with those who hold some influence with the rank and file supporters. If you think that's a bad thing that's fine but t's blatantly obvious there are some who need some education about what to sing or we wouldn't be in this position ffs!

Is ongoing engagement between the club and fan groups bad? For me it's the only way forward if we want any atmosphere what so ever.

I wont back the board fully on this until they come out swinging and highlighting the witch hunt against the club and calling out the likes of FARE for their impartiality.

I struggle to see what it is you want them to do? ( the board )

The songs were caught on tape and the club were f....d.

Why do we sing about other religions anyway! We are super Rangers and no one likes us we hate Celtic scummy bastards - a mean is it really that hard.

I am sick fed up of hearing UVF songs as well, what are they to do with our club? The UB bring it in on themselves and they are not the voice of Ibrox the 50 thousand who attend every week are and not one rogue section that seems to think they saved our club

I don’t think it is confusing tbh. It’s possibly just unpalatable to those who have sang them for years.

Anything that is perceived to be sectarian. Any reference to the F word or catholics/pope in any form that could be considered discriminatory.

We can’t negotiate our way away from this crossroads. The songs stop or the club could be immensely damaged.
We can, however, highlight that there are many who work for FARE who make it their business to damage us in anyway they can.

They will continue to do so if the Club doesn't call them out for what they are.

UEFA have a fixed punishment for this, once the offence has been established, it is in the regulations.

"If one or more of a member association or club’s supporters engage in the behaviour described in paragraph 1, the member association or club responsible is punished with a minimum of a partial stadium closure"

That being the case, and a specific section being identified as where the singing started, it only makes sense for it to be that section is closed.

It is also worth saying that this is also in the same regulation.

" a second offence is punished with one match played behind closed doors and a fine of € 50,000"

So if it happens again that is the punishment, and people already know it.

We've had 5 games to commit the same offence again without any supporter knowing (officially it seems anyway).

Guess what's coming next?

Has no one ever heard of communication?

I think people are misunderstanding how UEFA apply their rules. We are being punished. Rangers will have been told which sections to close where songs were coming from. I’m sure if Rangers could re-allocate all supporters they would have done so.

Poor statement. Wrong tone.

Back