Union Bears Statement on UEFA's decision

The way I see it is no ones expecting the club to try and fight uefa to allow us to FTP and sing about 19th Century Terrorist.

That ship sailed a long time ago.

But, and it’s a big but, the club needs to get ready to go on the offensive. FARE won’t be happy with tbb being banned, they will go after all the other songs like fathers advice, bmg, Derry’s walks etc

So are the club ready to fight the long game?

Probably not

Make no mistake war is being declared against the club and the support (and the OO but that’s a different argument). All these organisations now watching, commenting, campaigning. Call it out is specifically for anti catholic or anti Irish issues. They don’t give a shit about a level playing field. Even that wank commenting on the orange strips.

At some point the club is going to have to decide their line in the sand.

Have you never sang the billy boys at a game in your life?
Personally I have. Many hundreds of times and probably much worse since the mid 1970s. However, times do and have changed. Not necessarily improved, but certainly changed. There is no option but to accept that, but I'm not sure the UB statement does. Pointing the finger at the club, FARE, UEFA, but taking zero responsibility itself, there just isn't a good outcome with that attitude. The club and the atmosphere did not and has not peaked with the formation of UB. Both have been much better in the past and can be in the future. Grateful as I am for their contribution in very recent times, the UB should perhaps remember that.

Deedle, I will try and find something to back it up by I vividly remember it being quoted somewhere as BMGs and I was quite vocal in the FARE agenda back then.

When it’s 19th Century Terrorist and TBB we will pay the price but when the likes of BMG were punished (which we’ll need to confirm) it’s majorly concerning because there’s nothing sectarian in it.

Hope I’m wrong.

RANGERS believe that a campaign to get them kicked out of Europe is being waged in SCOTLAND.

Ibrox bosses insist they are stunned by UEFA's threat to ban Gers fans from away games and fine them.

That threat follows a UEFA probe into sectarian singing at Gers' Europa League clash with PSV in Eindhoven last month.

Ibrox chiefs claim the UEFA delegate at that game PRAISED Gers fans in his report.

They believe the potential punishment has come as a result of an internet campaign designed to put the boot into the club.

SunSport understands that UEFA delegate Geir Thorsteinsson's dossier was NOT overly scathing of Gers' fans behaviour although he did highlight 'anti-IRA chants'.

Gers, who have been fined and warned three times by UEFA since 2006 over sectarian songs and offensive behaviour by fans, do not believe that is enough to land them in hot water again.

The uefa sanctions and inevitably being kicked out of Europe (I don’t think the support will be able to stop the chanting) will see him gone very quickly after.

There's an interview out today where SG talks of the importance of competing and managing in Europe. It's a huge draw for him and (probably) some of the players. Remove that and I don't imagine too many will hang around.

No surrender is being severely misused nowadays. If this is a war we are conceding all the tactical advantages by continuing along this path. We need to adapt or lose.

Indeed, when a battle is already lost saying "no surrender" makes no sense, and this particular battle is not lost.

Much more sensible to look at where you are and consider the option.

No surrender is being severely misused nowadays. If this is a war we are conceding all the tactical advantages by continuing along this path. We need to adapt or lose.

Saying No Surrender was to show a bit of solidarity with the UB. They have been treated unfairly by the club on this matter.
But you are correct.

Personally I have. Many hundreds of times and probably much worse since the mid 1970s. However, times do and have changed. Not necessarily improved, but certainly changed. There is no option but to accept that, but I'm not sure the UB statement does. Pointing the finger at the club, FARE, UEFA, but taking zero responsibility itself, there just isn't a good outcome with that attitude. The club and the atmosphere did not and has not peaked with the formation of UB. Both have been much better in the past and can be in the future. Grateful as I am for their contribution in very recent times, the UB should perhaps remember that.
I agree, I think you have missed my point.

My point was that no one who has ever sang the billy boys at a game can get on their high horse and have a go at the people who sang it this time.

With everything else going on in the recovery of the Club, the last thing the Board need is to start fighting UEFA and having supporters groups seek a confrontation. And that's exactly what has happened.

Significant revenue has been lost and there's potential for a stadium closure. Maybe the UB wish to consider their position. I know they have to be anti-Establishment and independent of the Club but surely due to recent times, a little more cooperation and understanding would be appropriate.

Typically, though, it's about ego.

Or teenagers behaving like teenagers. Maybe since the UB seem to consider themselves superior to the rest of us, they can collectively cough up the £60K their selfishness has cost the club this week, and potentially more in the future. When your comparative set is not being as bad as terrorist loving, paedo apologists, it is a poor day.

'The voice of Ibrox stadium'

That's a bit... self righteous, in my opinion. The UBs are just paying fans, no more than that. We are all the voice of Ibrox. The UBs are the ones with the megaphone and a drum.

Must have went to catholic schools some of them, But seriously your spot on mate
Aye only catholic’s want the best for Rangers while the best Rangers fans desperately want to carry on singing songs that will have the stadium closed. Maybe it’s poets who have infiltrated who are arguing to keep doing something that harms Rangers. That would be more logical.

It's difficult. But I do think the club is victimising the Union Bears. %^*& me, the whole stadium was belting out Super Rangers at Midtjylland, myself included. Unless the club, the fans, and the Bears get together, we'll end up fragmented and weaker (if that's possible) than we are now.
Celtic are 19th Century Terrorist bastards ..own fans admit it

Maybe the club should sit down with the union bears and supporters clubs ECT. and talk to each other and try and find away forward. What is done is done we need to move forward together.

What do you think this ‘talking’ would be, other than everything we already know, which is “don’t do it”?

Let’s get past this particular episode and unite as a support. Our fragmentation only empowers the haters.
If it doesn’t happen already I would like the SLO to liaise between the UBs and the Board, find the common ground and build towards a working relationship. The Board should not look down on any group of supporters but equally our supporters must recognise the ultimate authority of the Board.

Aye only catholic’s want the best for Rangers while the best Rangers fans desperately want to carry on singing songs that will have the stadium closed. Maybe it’s poets who have infiltrated who are arguing to keep doing something that harms Rangers. That would be more logical.

We’re doomed

Did no one proofread the statement before release?

Even if you agree with the sentiment the fact they can't tell that attack's = attack is and attacks = many attacks is just amateurish.

Saying No Surrender was to show a bit of solidarity with the UB. They have been treated unfairly by the club on this matter.
But you are correct.

They have suffered as all in BF1 have on this occasion due to the area being the source of the punishment.

I can understand that many did not sing the songs and that it’s unfortunate that innocents have suffered here but it’s a 3,000 closure - innocents suffer due to the actions of a minority.

Read the statement and to be honest I'm afraid we have taken the easy option as a club.
If there is a differential in the terminology of the emails that frankly is a disgrace.
The UB are not the enemy here, that said they will need to adapt and stop being so precocious in there opinions.
We are all supporters.
The truth is we are getting set up again , and by creating division we are weakened.
It's absolutely inescapable that as a collective ,at boardroom level ,we are f@ckin hopeless at fighting our corner.
The truth is we need an attack dog Who instead of rolling over , challenges the slurs and assaults on the club and its support.
I hope the UB think it through , but I will not jump on the orchastrated band wagon to condem any of our support .

My point was that no one who has ever sang the billy boys at a game can get on their high horse and have a go at the people who sang it this time.

Disagree entirely. It didn’t used to be banned it is now. It really isn’t that difficult to follow. Normal people manage to go about life without it, why can’t the rest of us do do. Clearly we have a group of Rangers fans (including UB) who feel their right to chant unacceptable phrases is more important than the reputation and health of the club. How ridiculous is that?

Maybe the club should sit down with the union bears and supporters clubs ECT. and talk to each other and try and find away forward. What is done is done we need to move forward together.
There'd be no harm in that at all.

And I don't know how much UEFA actually speak with clubs on such matters but it would be good for everyone to be 100% clear on what is expected.

IMO, if we are ambitious about being a modern club which is able to challenge in Europe, we should stop seeing this as some kind of battle with UEFA and work to improve our PR and our standing at home and abroad.

Ibrox can generate an amazing noise on European matchnights - we don't need these contentious songs.

Round and round we go, and yet the facts are simple. Stop singing the songs we know will get us into trouble, or face the consequences. The fact the union bears refuse to acknowledge any fault is embarrassing. That statement reads like they have did nothing wrong. Ever. And some will say they haven’t - but what matters is uefa do think that, so to be quite frank, those you think they are blameless and uefa are out to get us need to suck it up, get it out their system and move on.

And for those saying the board bent over and took this without fight - what the %^*& did you expect them to do? It’s uefa - there is no fighting it, no debating it. It would be an even bigger act of self harm to not do what they have done.

So many folk on here are stuck in the dark ages it’s frightening.

i said on a goup chat with mates that go to the football " name a club that has taken UEFA on and won "

Or teenagers behaving like teenagers. Maybe since the UB seem to consider themselves superior to the rest of us, they can collectively cough up the £60K their selfishness has cost the club this week, and potentially more in the future. When your comparative set is not being as bad as terrorist loving, paedo apologists, it is a poor day.

You don't do irony, do you?

why didn't the club in their statement, accept the charge but also point out a few facts in FARE and ask some questions re; Their clear reluctance to recommend Celtic are given a punishment that we have been given?

How can a club ( Celtic) have 11 previous charges against them over the years for entering the field of play and attacking a player , singing, political banners ( pro IRA ) etc but never have the punishment we have been given. Even the other week their fans were throwing objects at cluj players but no charges for them when there would have been observers at their game!

It clearly stinks of corruption from FARE and UEFA...

It’s simple - their punishments don’t fall under article 14.

We were fined for throwing paper on the pitch against progres 2 years ago - that didn’t fall under that scope either.

There are things that UEFA can fine you over but anything under article 14 closes sections and then stadiums. We can’t point at anyone to get away from this. We need to own our problem and deal with it as unpalatable as it may be to some.

The union bears think they are better then the rest of the support new fare were going to the game but just said we sing what we want call older fans rangers da,s well I must be a rangers grand da having stood in the old Derry shed in 60s Copland road in the 70s

I want them to discredit FARE.. they clearly have an agenda against us, Martin Bain could even see that and he was hopeless!
How did that work out? UEFA heard his accusations of bias ignored them and treated us with even more contempt than before. The ban stood.

and
Quality patter. He seriously isn't right either, he's been spouting garbage ever since the punishment was handed out. To describe people wanting these songs to be ditched as "panty wetting", after we've had a partial closure of our ground and have the threat of expulsion from Europe hanging over us, is utterly braindead.
I've stated numerous times I'm not talking about FTP and 19th Century Terrorist this or that I do neither of these things and don't want the Rangers support to do them.

I'd like to ask defenders of the UB position one very simple question;

Will you take the club and manager's advive and cease songs with the word 19th Century Terrorist or pope/IRA references, or not?

This is all that needs to be said. We are in a wonderful position on the park with a living legend as manager. He's asked us not to do things which could land us in bother. Forget anything that happened before he said it - do we do as he reasonably asks or do we carry on whining about something we know is wrong, belt out stuff that lies in a grey area of acceptance and run the risk of losing him?

Do you seriously believe that if someone has done something in their life, even if they accept that it is no longer acceptable, they cannot comment on people who now do it.

In the past things like this were part of football, but the World has change. If it happens again the club will play behind closed doors, if allowed to play in Europe at all.

Should people not comment on that if they have ever sung the song themselves.

There'd be no harm in that at all.

And I don't know how much UEFA actually speak with clubs on such matters but it would be good for everyone to be 100% clear on what is expected.

IMO, if we are ambitious about being a modern club which is able to challenge in Europe, we should stop seeing this as some kind of battle with UEFA and work to improve our PR and our standing at home and abroad.

Ibrox can generate an amazing noise on European matchnights - we don't need these contentious songs.

What other clubs in Europe come under the same scrutiny as us for the words in their songs?

Do you genuinely not think we are being singled out?

The board would be able to easily discredit FARE if our fans hadn't been guilty of offensive singing.

FARE were discredited where our club and support are concerned long before this latest nonsense, mate. They've had a vendetta against our club for quite some time, years even. Rangers refusal to go after them has brought us to where we are.

This is all that needs to be said. We are in a wonderful position on the park with a living legend as manager. He's asked us not to do things which could land us in bother. Forget anything that happened before he said it - do we do as he reasonably asks or do we carry on whining about something we know is wrong, belt out stuff that lies in a grey area of acceptance and run the risk of losing him?
My worry is that the UBs and others sing in defiance against a combination of the board/SLO/UEFA/FARE - to do so may reflect their frustration, but would be a massive own goal

It’s simple - their punishments don’t fall under article 14.

We were fined for throwing paper on the pitch against progres 2 years ago - that didn’t fall under that scope either.

There are things that UEFA can fine you over but anything under article 14 closes sections and then stadiums. We can’t point at anyone to get away from this. We need to own our problem and deal with it as unpalatable as it may be to some.

Recidivism under article 14 can also lead to fines.

"The following disciplinary measures apply in the event of recidivism:

a. a second offence is punished with one match played behind closed doors and a fine of € 50,000;

b. any subsequent offence is punished with more than one match behind closed doors, a stadium closure, the forfeiting of a match, the deduction of points and/or disqualification from the competition."

Back