Union Bears Statement on UEFA's decision

So the filth can sing in praise of that vile bunch of child killers but we can't sing in displeasure of them. What nut-job makes up these lop sided rules?

It's laughable because we all know what songs we can and can't sing. The Sash, Derry's Walls, Rule Britannia and Rangers songs are all fine. Songs about 19th Century Terrorists, the Pope, Catholics etc aren't.

Without the add ons to the likes of the sash and FF bastardising them.

It's laughable because we all know what songs we can and can't sing. The Sash, Derry's Walls, Rule Britannia and Rangers songs are all fine. Songs about 19th Century Terrorists, the Pope, Catholics etc aren't.
For someone that doesn't agree with most of my postings these last few days I actually think that we're in agreement broadly maybe I've just been wording my views wrong.

The board have failed because they didnt engage with the fans. Issuing statements and launching well meaning but futile campaigns doesnt work. Ask uefa if you dont know this already.

They need to do more a lot more. For a start they could tackle the constant attacks on the club and fans including the press, media, NBM and FARE. That would show the fans that they care. They could employ a researcher to gather evidence an# present this as proof of the bias, double standards and lies.

Finally, and more importantly, they could engage and liaise with fans at a meaningful level. Dont dictate. It doesnt work. Seek agreement and cooperation.

It isn’t a matter of negotiation, agreement, co-operation or compromise. It is black and white.
The fans either tow the line, cause massive further damage to the club or don’t come back to Ibrox.

The club were charged and found guilty and had to remove sections totalling no less than 3000 seats. BF1 was in the charges that we were found guilty on.

It’s not inevitable- we have an opportunity to sort this once and for all
The club once again say zip.
Do you know there are 24 languages spoken in Europe, did the club ask if FARE have representatives fluent in every language?

Because in Warsaw on Thursday night Warsaw were singing about Huns and also some of their polish songs make the Billy boys seem like a nursery rhymn.

Also did the club query how attacking Mbappe on a pitch where player safety was compromised gets £8,900 yes £8,900 for swinging a kick and a punch yet we lose £75k and labelled racist.

No matter what the club does they never get it, dignified silence personified, bollocks.

Let's see what Celtic will get for throwing missiles at Cluj players....will be their 15 summons, the force the coin was thrown could have taken eye out, club says nothing.

Take 3000 seats out the mortuary which is the club deck and range the uefa flag up there.

When we are at it, ask how investigation into the corruption re final of Europa being in Baku with Uefa.

We need to self police every week home and away. If sections of the support or indeed individual ST are engaged in this type of behaviour let's deal with it as a club. Utilise the new strategy the club is trying to implement. Maybe the club need to name and shame folk to deliver a clear message. Nonetheless, the board need to recognise that this is a societal issue. It's not just football. The UB have been the succulent lamb and handed over to UEFA on a plate. Wait till Sunday. There's NO WAY in the planet that folk won't be singing songs that have add ons. Whose fault will it be this time?

But if the Club actually came out and named the offending songs it would both show leadership and remove any ambiguity. I really can't see your problem with my suggestion.

And does anyone think if Dave King thought we’d had any chance whatsoever of winning an appeal that he wouldn’t have looked into it? It’s costing us in both cash and reputation. The fact it’s been accepted and not challenged shows we are guilty

Not seen many asking him to appeal the decision.

I'm asking him to fight the process that is FARE/Uefa in it's current guise by whatever means possible.

It is clearly a distorted process that needs challenged.

Unless there was a clear statement from FARE/UEFA stating the songs were coming from BF1 then I find the whole situation unbelievable.

On the songs that are deemed unacceptable, as I’ve stated before it’s only one word in the 2 songs. Any other song we sing is perfectly defendable. I’ve heard Build my gallows, Here lies a soldier, 1912, UDR4, Fathers advice and men behind the wire are under scrutiny. If I’m ever charged with an offence for singing these songs it will be took to the highest level I possibly can.

It isn’t a matter of negotiation, agreement, co-operation or compromise. It is black and white.
The fans either tow the line, cause massive further damage to the club or don’t come back to Ibrox.

That approach doesnt work. Havent you noticed?

The answer is more complex but you carry on claiming its easy. A bit like the "just say no" approach to drugs. A simple solution for simple minds.

It’s only natural views and opinions on a matter like this one is going to cause a divide but in what is a massive week for our football club and the feel good factor start to the season, seeing this thread tonight and seeing the bitching and in-fighting amongst our support over this issue, it’s very disappointing.

This is what years and years of the board having a dignified silence, refusing to back the fans and deciding to sit and watch the club get battered from pillar to post looks like.

Thats the reality.

On the pitch things might be running smoothly for Gerrard and the boys but off the pitch the level of communication between the fans and the board is at critical level. It just took one sanction from UEFA for fans to explode and show their true feelings.

But if the Club actually came out and named the offending songs it would both show leadership and remove any ambiguity. I really can't see your problem with my suggestion.

If the club comes out with a list of songs we CAN sing it will simply lead to our enemies generating a debate on why it’s not OK to sing those songs and why we shouldn’t.

If the club comes out with a list of sings we CAN’T sing then our enemies will simply sit with their headphones on and listen for a single fan amidst thousands singing one of those songs.

We know what’s right and wrong. We know what we can and cannot sing. What we need is common sense and realism, not lists.

Last edited:
While I appreciate that most people are well aware, as Bowery Boy says, I tend to agree the club could provide 100% clarity by naming the songs that are not acceptable.

I think UEFA would probably take a favourable view of a proactive move like that.

Good statement. I have a ST in BF1, not a UB member but generally love what they do and feel the section has been unfairly treated being the only ones to miss out on Thursday.

Thankfully I have located a ticket elsewhere. A huge week ahead and glad there is no "silent protest" as our team and manager need support and backing to the hilt for Legia and the Old Firm.

A vitally important week as I think Euro group stage qualification may give us the income to push Kent over the line which would be a great coup.

It’s simple - their punishments don’t fall under article 14.

We were fined for throwing paper on the pitch against progres 2 years ago - that didn’t fall under that scope either.

There are things that UEFA can fine you over but anything under article 14 closes sections and then stadiums. We can’t point at anyone to get away from this. We need to own our problem and deal with it as unpalatable as it may be to some.

Celtic fans singing racist anti-British pro IRA and sectarian songs don't come under Article 14? Id find that hard to believe.

In 2011 they were brought before UEFA for their fans " up the ra chants"..now thats racist anti -British and political

• November 2011 v Rennes (H) - Illicit chants (Up the Ra) - £12,700

Then they brought politics into it again with their banner
• December 2013 v AC Milan (H) - Banner (Bobby Sands) - £42,189

then they brought politics into it again with
• July 2017 v Linfield (H) - Illicit banner (paramilitary) - £20,500

this was the headline for those banners
Sectarian banners unfurled at Celtic Park after cops form human barrier during Celtic’s Champions League qualifier against Linfield

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4056279/riot-cops-celtic-linfield-banner/

Now , when you even get the Rangers haters The Scottish Sun describing their banners as sectarian, its clearly sectarianism.

I also thought that bringing politics into European football was a no-no but still no partial closure of a stand!
Id also like the club to explain why we have been charged and found guilty of racism for a song but Celtic on their charges was found guilty of " illicit chanting" for singing racist anti-British songs and chants. why wasn't what they sung deemed to be racism by UEFA?

I stand by what I posted in my original post....

Last edited:
It’s all there in the second sentence of the second paragraph. “...and at no time have we been taken to task for the nature of the songs or the content therein.”
Why not? Why has the club not had a quiet word in the ear of the leadership of the UB and told them to cut it out? If they have and produce the minutes then I’ll stand corrected but a lot of people need to get of their high horse here. It’s not enough to be reactive Mr Robertson or the clown who is head of security (I saw him in action when I was over from the states and marked him as a pompous buffoon who was full of himself). It’s not enough the bring the LGBTQ community in, have the players wear rainbow colored laces and declare “everyone anyone” that is but the guys who produce the atmosphere they can get tae fk! To everyone that says”they know what songs were banned” so did Robertson and co. But they allowed it to be belted from the stands apparently unchallenged until our mentally challenged enemies have a word in UEFA’s ear.
Proactive not REACTIVE is what these lads are looking for.

The important thing is definitely to ensure that absolutely everybody gets the blame apart from those singing the actual songs.

Do pissed-up Euroneds know? Do they care? They act like children, we need to treat them like children.

The sanction was from UEFA, the club adhered to it in the most logical way possible.

We need communications between the board and the UB to put on the table what the current state of play is.

I chose my words carefully because I don’t believe we’re on even ground with other clubs. But, ultimately, the UB are here to support the team and the club, so rather this show of infighting, there needs to be a clear remit for the UB, with backing from the club.

Personal opinion only but the closure of BF1 was a given when it came down to it.

I'd like to ask defenders of the UB position one very simple question;

Will you take the club and manager's advice and cease songs with the word 19th Century Terrorist or pope/IRA references, or not?

next weekend when they sing Pro-IRA songs inside our stadium will all those attacking the UB go to the nearest copper and demand action is taken against the tramps?

No. Fans refusing to stop singing about the pope or 19th Century Terrorist got us here.

Pretty simple.

No. Fans refusing to stop singing about we are the people or no surrender in our songs, sectarian slogans according to many of our club's haters, will be next for FARE to go after. Pretty simple. FARE, a far left hate group, are relentlessly targeting our club. Unless fans and the club itself waken up to that reality, the sooner FARE can be discredited before UEFA. The fans are divided when they really shouldn't be.

It absolutely terrifies me that people cannot see the gravity of this and think the club going against FARE is an option here. UEFA do not care. Calls for parity right now are a scream into the void. If people cannot grasp this everything we have worked to rebuild over the last 8 years could be destroyed.

I've been absolutely dismayed reading some of the stuff on here and social media over the last few days. But at the end of the day, I think it's just people venting about being singled out by FARE, and we're entitled to it.

We'll keep getting threads on it for the near future but I do think the bottom line is that everybody realises these songs have to stop now and I think they will.

The support today showed that it can be done, apart from maybe one wee slip up which stopped quite quickly.

Don't dare criticicize the board they saved our club
Paul Murray and John Gilligan are gone ;)

Just saying.

The borad need to be a bit more robust, that's for sure but we can't sing certain songs. Simple as that

FARE turning a blind eye to others needs explanation but we know why it happens.

How can singing against murdering terrorists get you in bother but singing in praise of those vile murderers not? Not that either have got anything to do with football.

That approach doesnt work. Havent you noticed?

The answer is more complex but you carry on claiming its easy. A bit like the "just say no" approach to drugs. A simple solution for simple minds.

The simple minds are anyone who continues to put the club in jeopardy.

Look lads the union bears create a great atmosphere at Ibrox,what we all need to do now,is stop the add ons,give them nothing to report.then our board can start picking a fight about what others get away with.lets all make plenty of noise in the next 2 games,and show the world w.a.t.p. no surrender

Ah but I had read everything on the thread. Your post(s) have nothing to do with irony but nevertheless you choose to abuse my post(s). I pointed out I have never heard polite clapping to any Rangers goal in all of my time following Rangers. OK? Oh and you must have scarcely believable hearing that you are able to pick up people sighing. Unless that occurs in whatever part of the ground you are in.
So you've quoted me and still not read the post you quoted. Give it a bye.

While I appreciate that most people are well aware, as Bowery Boy says, I tend to agree the club could provide 100% clarity by naming the songs that are not acceptable.

I think UEFA would probably take a favourable view of a proactive move like that.
I don’t think it would provide clarity, quite the opposite.
Ok so the Club issues a list. The immediate assumption made would be its ok to sing anything not on the list. A recipe for further disaster.
I find it totally disingenuous for anyone involved with the Club as a fan, for any meaningful period of time, to claim they don’t know what is and is not acceptable.

Missed opportunity with that statement - by the Union Bears for the Union Bears and just comes across as a greet rather than something more constructive. Couldn't even mention those in the Club Deck that will miss out.
Miss out? They’re getting relocated.

Thats the whole point of the statement.

Totally agree. It's all very well saying folk should know what is and isn't acceptable but we are on a tightrope here. In the coming days the club have to set the agenda. If it means airing our dirty linen in public and being totally transparent then so be it, it's maybe what we've been needing for a while. People have to be in no doubt what is banned and the consequences for them individually and for the club. We have to show we are sincere in our desire to eradicate our issues. Instead of looking forward to an amazing week for our team I feel sick worrying about what we're going to sing and it stinks. We have to nail this now.

The Club tell us exactly what songs are going to get us in bother then ban anyone who doesn't heed their advice gets a ban. No ambiguity, the Club showing leadership, everyone fully aware of what is expected. What is so laughable about that?

The club are only likely to mention certain songs that are on the radar of FARE and Uefa which have already been targetted. I can't see them stating that a number of loyalist songs are ok to sing - something some fans would welcome. By not doing so, somewhere down the line one or two of these songs might be heard and we could be targeted again.

It would be easy to suggest that only Rangers themed songs should be sung but it's unlikely to be the case considering those supporters who love the old loyalist songs - many of which are not sectarian but in time will be deemed so by a certain organisation out for blood. All the board can do is ask fans to sing Rangers songs only - which I'm not against, but it's hardly likely to appease the whole support.

I've been absolutely dismayed reading some of the stuff on here and social media over the last few days. But at the end of the day, I think it's just people venting about being singled out by FARE, and we're entitled to it.

We'll keep getting threads on it for the near future but I do think the bottom line is that everybody realises these songs have to stop now and I think they will.

The support today showed that it can be done, apart from maybe one wee slip up which stopped quite quickly.

100% correct, and this is where the club need to take action.

Fans have dug up so much shit on the people involved for years that has always fell on deaf ears, the club need to start taking action on it in some sort of official capacity.

I think the majority are at the 'enough is enough' stage now.

If the club comes out with a list if songs we CAN sing it will simply lead to our enemies generating a debate on why it’s OK to sing those songs and why we shouldn’t.

If the club comes out with a list of sings we CAN’T sing then our enemies will simply sit with their headphones on and listen for a single fan amidst thousands singing one of those songs.

We know what’s right and wrong. We know what we can and cannot sing. What we need is common sense and realism, not lists.
The club are only likely to mention certain songs that are on the radar of FARE and Uefa which have already been targetted. I can't see them stating that a number of loyalist songs are ok to sing - something some fans would welcome. By not doing so, somewhere down the line one or two of these songs might be heard and we could be targeted again.

It would be easy to suggest that only Rangers themed songs should be sung but it's unlikely to be the case considering those supporters who love the old loyalist songs - many of which are not sectarian but in time will be deemed so by a certain organisation out for blood. All the board can do is ask fans to sing Rangers songs only - which I'm not against, but it's hardly likely to appease the whole support.
Nothing wrong with songs that celebrate our heritage and culture, that's why they should say what we CAN'T sing and not what we can.

Nothing wrong with songs that celebrate our heritage and culture, that's why they should say what we CAN'T sing and not what we can.

And if they say it’s OK to sing The Sash - and the FTPs creep in at the end again?

Either way, we know what to avoid - FTP and 19th Century Terrorist would be an appropriate start.

Long story short it’s uefa’s ball, and if we want to be at the party (and we need to be) we have to give them what they want. The club have no choice but to offer up the ub’s for sacrifice on Thursday, because that’s what uefa require of them. What’s vital is that we gain control of this and it is not allowed to happen again. To prevent this, we have to come together supporters and club. Those who are unwilling to do this must be left behind.

Still people who want the club to literally tell them what songs are the problem ? After years of the club telling them to cut it out ?

Deliberately obtuse or thick ?

There has literally been no definitive answer to what is and isn't acceptable. Although it may be obvious to you and I, clearly that's not the case for everyone. What would be the harm in simply saying, "Anything referencing 19th Century Terrorists or the Pope will see you banned for life from Ibrox Stadium."?

I think many of the fans, including the Union Bears, are just frustrated at the obvious FARE vendetta against the club and support not being addressed by the Board. Make no mistake, fans are deluded if they believe that FARE will leave the club alone if certain songs cease to be heard. FARE have the bit between their teeth now that they've achieved a partial closure of Ibrox. They'll see this as only phase one in their campaign to have more severe sanctions placed on our club.

And if they say it’s OK to sing The Sash - and the FTPs creep in at the end again?
That's why they say what songs and words are unacceptable. Show some leadership and make an example of anyone who doesn't listen and tries to hurt the Club with their words, give our enemies nothing to work with.

Back