Kompany testimonial on sky

Have to say working in Manchester no interest but nice touch it all goes to charity Like him to be honest and his shot won them the league a deserved testimonial which is unusual these days

Last edited:
Giggs and Scholes amongst others playing in a city legends testimonial. Has the equivolent ever happened with the old firm for a testimonial? Seems unlikely.

Giggs and Scholes amongst others playing in a city legends testimonial. Has the equivolent ever happened with the old firm for a testimonial? Seems unlikely.
I seem to vaguely remember a Rangers/celtc select in a match at Hampden(I think).
The team wore blue and green quarters on their shirt.
Is my mind playing tricks on me?Anyone have better details?
Not sure if it was a charity affair.

Scholes is just ridiculously talented.

Could watch him spray that ball about all day.

I seem to vaguely remember a Rangers/celtc select in a match at Hampden(I think).

Edited, talking shite.

Last edited:
Queen's Silver Jubilee game in 1977?

Top was blue/green vertical stripes

Made up of teams in Glasgow FA
Was at at also mate but for the life of me can remember much about it, was it an English select as the opposition?
Remember it being a cracking day but that’s about it.
Google here I come.
To save anyone else from a Celticwiki page:eek:
Silver Jubilee Appeal match as part of the Queen's Jubilee in 1977. This game was played at Hampden on May 17th 1977 - a Tuesday - but with a 3pm kick-off.

The Glasgow FA team was: Rough (Partick), McGrain (Celtic), Whittaker (Partick), Jardine (Rangers), MacDonald (Celtic), Forsyth (Rangers), McLean (Rangers) - sub McNaughton (Queen's Park), Dalglish (Celtic), Craig (Celtic), MacDonald (Rangers), Johnstone (Rangers) - sub Somner (Partick)

Football League side was: Corrigan (Man City), Clements (Man City), Peach (Southampton), Stanley (Chelsea), Watson (Man City), Wilkins (Chelsea), Francis (Birmingham), Channon (Southampton), Royle (Man City), -sub Barnes (Man City), Owen (Man City), Tueart (Man City)

The reason for the preponderance of Man City players was that they had completed their league programme and many other English sides hadn't. Players from Liverpool and Man Utd couldn't be considered anyway as these clubs still had to play in the FA Cup Final and Liverpool also had the European Cup Final coming up.

By contrast the Scottish domestic season was over. In any case Man City were a strong side at the time and had finished runners-up to Liverpool by just one point.

Dennis Tueart put the FL ahead in the first half. Sandy Jardine equalised from the spot after the break and Kenny Dalglish scored to make the final result 2-1 for the home team. The attendance was 28,380.

Edited, talking shite.

I recall an OF match at the Chamber of Secrets where there was a half-time 5-a-side match between that lot and our under 16's (I think) where we wore their strips and they wore ours. I think this was some sort of pathetic 'let's sort out sectarianism' effort promulgated by god-knows-who.

I don't remember who won (if anyone) but the whole 60,000 or so crowd watched on in close to silence.

Never saw the game but got sent a clip of the Scholes pass which was superb.

With the proceeds going to charity it’s a good event to have during an International break. Kompany has done his bit over the years & from watching the Man City docu, he came across really well, married a local lass and was round visiting the Outlaws who still lived in a normal house/led normal lives. (At their own bidding I’m sure).

Did Ashley Cole play in it?.Saw him in Euston station yesterday lunchtime and wondered if he was heading for the Manchester train

Some player RVP. If he could have kept himself fit I think he might have been entering more conversations on best forwards in the EPL.

Was at at also mate but for the life of me can remember much about it, was it an English select as the opposition?
Remember it being a cracking day but that’s about it.
Google here I come.
To save anyone else from a Celticwiki page
Silver Jubilee Appeal match as part of the Queen's Jubilee in 1977. This game was played at Hampden on May 17th 1977 - a Tuesday - but with a 3pm kick-off.

The Glasgow FA team was: Rough (Partick), McGrain (Celtic), Whittaker (Partick), Jardine (Rangers), MacDonald (Celtic), Forsyth (Rangers), McLean (Rangers) - sub McNaughton (Queen's Park), Dalglish (Celtic), Craig (Celtic), MacDonald (Rangers), Johnstone (Rangers) - sub Somner (Partick)

Football League side was: Corrigan (Man City), Clements (Man City), Peach (Southampton), Stanley (Chelsea), Watson (Man City), Wilkins (Chelsea), Francis (Birmingham), Channon (Southampton), Royle (Man City), -sub Barnes (Man City), Owen (Man City), Tueart (Man City)

The reason for the preponderance of Man City players was that they had completed their league programme and many other English sides hadn't. Players from Liverpool and Man Utd couldn't be considered anyway as these clubs still had to play in the FA Cup Final and Liverpool also had the European Cup Final coming up.

By contrast the Scottish domestic season was over. In any case Man City were a strong side at the time and had finished runners-up to Liverpool by just one point.

Dennis Tueart put the FL ahead in the first half. Sandy Jardine equalised from the spot after the break and Kenny Dalglish scored to make the final result 2-1 for the home team. The attendance was 28,380.

Yeah against an English League XI although as it pointed out other issues prevent a different selection of players

Presume the 3pm kick-off it was due to the nature of the event that day

We also played as a Rangers/Celtc Select V Scotland XI in a benefit match for the Ibrox Disaster, at Hamden in 1971. I remember being there, and the Select team wore all white strips. Match details below :

Opponents: Scotland XI vs Rangers/Celtic Select
Competition: Disaster Appeal Match
Date: 27/01/1971
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Score: unknown
Scorers: unknown
Referee: W. Anderson (East Kilbride)
Attendance: 81,405
Comments: This match was played in aid of the Lord Provost's disaster fund. The fund was set up to help the relatives of the fans that were killed at the Rangers v Celtic match on 2nd of January 1971 when a barrier broke on a stairwell and 66 people were killed in a terrible crush.

Rangers manager Willie Waddell said "This was a Rangers commitment, but we were not left on our own. Celtic rallied to our side immediately. Bobby Charlton personnified the willingness of his fellow footballers when he said "I'm thrilled to be asked. Just tell me when you want me and where."
Celtic manager Jock Stein said "I would like to think there could be no greater silent memorial to the disaster victims than the joining together of the fans here at Hampden tonight to tumble the barriers which have besmirched Scottish football so often in the past."
The Rangers/Celtic Select was captained by John Greig and included Bobby Charlton and George Best of Manchester United, Peter Bonetti of Chelsea, Jardine, Smith, Henderson, Johnston, McCloy and Conn of Rangers and Celtic were represented by Murdoch, McNeill, Johnstone, Brogan and Hood.
The Scotland XI was taken from Jim Cruikshank (Hearts), Pat Stanton (Hibernian), Joe Harper and Bobby Clark (Aberdeen), John O'Hare and Archie Gemmill (Derby County), Bobby Moncur (Newcastle), Charlie Cooke (Chelsea), Tommy McLean (kilmarnock), Peter Lorimer (Leeds United), Tommy Gemmell and Davie Hay (Celtic), and Ron McKinnon, Colin Stein and Sandy Jardine (Rangers).

Back