Does anyone have a Grandparent older than Rangers?

Off topic a bit ,but my great grandfather played for Hearts against the bears when the stadium we stiil play in was opened think it was 1899 and rangers won 3-1 or 4-1 . Up till then he was a Hearts supporter but changed to Rangers after the game . Unfortunately he was also at the game watching when the first Ibrox disaster happened never spoke about it as he was very close to where it happened .
Then a few years later a German sniper at the Somme took him .
Your great great grandfather actually played in the first game at Ibrox?

That is fùcking magnificent.
I'd be posting that every day if it was me.

Off topic a bit ,but my great grandfather played for Hearts against the bears when the stadium we stiil play in was opened think it was 1899 and rangers won 3-1 or 4-1 . Up till then he was a Hearts supporter but changed to Rangers after the game . Unfortunately he was also at the game watching when the first Ibrox disaster happened never spoke about it as he was very close to where it happened .
Thanks for making this already magnificent thread all the more interesting. :)) ;)

One for the oldies of FF. Unlikely, but a possibility if we have a decrepit FFer.

I was thinking about my old Ma this morning and it came to me that her mother gave birth to her at the age of 45 in 1931. That would mean Rangers were only in existence 14 years when she(Granny) was born.

It sort of amazed me that I had such a close relative within touching distance of the great birth.

If nobody has a Grandparent older than the gers, who can claim the closest?
Went to see two trains running last night , Aunt Esther was 329

The weans and I went to Motherwell for my auld dear's 90th a couple of years back and took her out for a hurl to the (we are the) People's Palace. We were having tea and scones in the Winter Gardens and she said, first time I've heard it, "My grandfather got a tram from Airdrie to here to watch Rangers".

So no, I don't have a grandparent older than Rangers but I do have a family connection that goes back to the Fleshers' Haugh days.

I get my love of Rangers from my grandfather who was born in 1902. Obviously a few decades short but I loved his tales of Alan Morton. One of my big regrets is that I was too young at 17 when died as there's so much I'd love to ask him now about Rangers and indeed other things.....

Really liked that wee story @Buster apart from the last bit.

Your great great grandfather actually played in the first game at Ibrox?

That is fùcking magnificent.
I'd be posting that every day if it was me.
Just as side note
Really liked that wee story @Buster apart from the last bit.
Never knew him obviously but my grandfather told me about him , he played for Hearts at the weekend but worked down the pit through the week left Hearts and packed football in because he got a promotion at the mine which meant he had to work a Saturday morning and the money was better .How times have changed

I am 68 years of age
My Father born 1913
My GF born 1870
My GGF born 1824
My GGGF born 1796
My GGGGF born 1766

All validated via Scotland’s People and all paternal side.

Any more predecessors requires guesswork.

I am the first RFC man in my family. My Father supported the Hi Hi.
Going back to this post again.

This man's faither's Granda was walking this earth before football was even played and was in his thirties before the first British club even appeared.

That's got to be interesting ya miserable fuckers.:))

My grandfather was born in 1881.He went off to fight in the Boer War in 1900 with the Cameron Highlanders served in World War 1 in the Navy and worked as a coastguard for the MOD in the Second World War as he was too old to fight. He would have been a Rangers fan if he had the chance but as far as I know he never saw them play.

Your grandfather could have been born in, say, 1871.

When he was 50, his wife (perhaps 15 years younger) could have given birth to your father. So this is 1921.

Your father may have been in his 40s when you were born, making your birth sometime in the 1960s. So you'd be in your 50s now.

Plenty of Bears on here in that age group. Not a silly thread at all.

I've a photo of my great grandad taken when he was about 4 years old, in the picture are his dad (born 1875) and also his grandad (my great, great, great grandad) who was born in 1850.

None of them are alive.

The closest I know of is in my Wife's family, her Great Great Grandfather on her Dads side played for Rangers from 1909 - 1918 making 142 appearances and scoring 7 goals for The Famous.....

I married into royalty.......

It’s a fecking stretch is this. I’ve just turned 69 and the eldest of my grandparents was born in 1884.

I’d have to go back a further generation to find an ancestor who was alive when we were founded.

Edit for those who think I've lost my marbles rather than being a little bit drunk and thought I meant a living grandparent.

Does anyone on FF have a grandparent born before Rangers' formation?

One for the oldies of FF. Unlikely, but a possibility if we have a decrepit FFer.

I was thinking about my old Ma this morning and it came to me that her mother gave birth to her at the age of 45 in 1931. That would mean Rangers were only in existence 14 years when she(Granny) was born.

It sort of amazed me that I had such a close relative within touching distance of the great birth.

If nobody has a Grandparent older than the gers, who can claim the closest?
I believe my great grandfather was born in 1878 and was a big bluenose. Not quite there, but fairly staunch. I'm fairly sure his father wasn't a Tim ;)

My grandparents were married in 1910. I'd need to check what ages they were but my grandfather would have to have been 38.

He was very old when he died in 1965. If he was 93, it's possible

I'm 42, my dad was 34 when I was born and his dad was 42 when he was born but that still only takes me back to 1900.

Well my grampa told me about Rangers beating Dundee when Little big horn battle was going on in America. When he spoke about best player was a player from 1910 can’t remember the players name. He was also one of the first along with his brothers to have season tickets. They used to circle to games as well.

My great-grandfather was a big Rangers man, hence why I am even though no member of my family has lived in Scotland for over 100 years. Think he was born late 1880s/early 1890s.

My paternal grandparents were both born in the 1890s.

Need to go back a generation to both of their sets of parents who were born in the 1860s to pre-date Rangers.

Just checked. Grandfather was born in January 1878. His sister, my great-aunt was born in 1875.

A happy time before the dark days of 1888.

Last edited:
My own Gran was 1900 (Gorbals) but her dad my Great Grandfather William Stark was born in 1867 in Anderson .
From good OO stock im led to believe same as the rest of his family who were mostly from Newton Ayr.
spent a fortune on census lookups etc on Scotland's People and quizzing my old dear about it.
on a side note my Grans brother and my Great Uncle Louis Stark was a Black and Tan, not many people speak kindly about him!

I am 68 years of age
My Father born 1913
My GF born 1870
My GGF born 1824
My GGGF born 1796
My GGGGF born 1766

All validated via Scotland’s People and all paternal side.

Any more predecessors requires guesswork.

I am the first RFC man in my family. My Father supported the Hi Hi.
same here mate, amazing info, furthest back i got was 1775 and what a mixed bag of family lol

Back