Memories of the Lovenkrands Cup Final

atcolin

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Apart from the obvious ones did anyone have any funny tales or memories from this day?

Had not long turned 18 and was weeks away from leaving school.The first trophy I watched us win in a pub.Absoulte scenes when the winner went in.Ive still got the life size cardboard Scottish cup Tennents issued the pub.

Boy next to me fell on the stairs and cracked his head open nasty gash.
Great view of the winning goal mind :cool:

Have never seen scenes of bedlam like it

Was just about to settle down for extra time as well, which I was convinced we'd have won in as we were finishing much stronger than them.

Have never seen scenes of bedlam like it

Was just about to settle down for extra time as well, which I was convinced we'd have won in as we were finishing much stronger than them.
They were dead on their feet by the end of the game. No better way to win a game but had we gone to extra time I'd have fancied us to run out convincing winners.

Sure i was only around 21 at that time, never had a ticket so watched the match in the mission on Battlefield Rd.

Mass hysteria when the Lovenkrands goal went in, seem to remember a full table of drink going over during the celebration and no one caring less. Even seen bears with tears of joy that day. We celebrated long into the night.

A classic match which will always be remembered.

Was flying from Manchester to Frankfurt that night then onto Mexico City to go travelling for 3 months.
Stuck next to a huge German guy for 14 hours but you couldn’t get the grin off my face!

11 year old and my dad hid from me we had tickets for the game. Every Saturday I would go down to my dads mums and spend the afternoon with her then get my dad at the pub and go to his. Anyway thinking I never had a ticket I was down there and he phoned her house and told her to tell me to start walking. As I knew I was going to be watching it with him and he would be pished no doubt i was in no great rush to get up there and get him. Was before I had a mobile so I was walking up slowly passing time and ended up holding the bus up by about half an hour. He was not a happy chap that’s for sure. What a surprise it was to know I was going to the game.

The rest is absolute history and up there with one of the best days of my life.

I remember the winner clear as fu.ck.

my seat was right next to the staircase behind the goal.

There is Numan running himself in the ground as he broke down the left, I think he passed it into Amo who then got it into the feet of McCann, in it comes and its in the net.

Well the staircase next to me was a sea of bodies flying in directions that seemed impossible!

Had just split up with my Celtic supporting wife the day before,had a half day off worked booked anyway so went to watch the game was pished by halftime after lovenkrands scored I threw a pint of lager over my auld man and ended the night pumping some auld women that had a fondness for kidney punches

Was watching it in a pub near Peckham rye,they had half the boozer for our final and the other half for the English one.

Was watching it with my flatmate at the time who was a celtic fan,he was giving it some when they went 2-1 up but was fecking gutted when I was screaming away at the end :)

My son and I were behind the goal a couple of dozen or so rows up. When he scored it was mayhem - my young son disappeared and I couldn't see him anywhere. I was beginning too panic when I seen him down at the bottom. He was passed overhead all the down by the fans.
What a day, and still my greatest moment at any game

I was 9 and my old man used to lift me up after every goal. Unfortunately, he’d ruptured his Achilles and was still on one crutch at this game so couldn’t lift me easily. When the winner went in I was begging for him to lift me up and he couldn’t. The guy behind me (mid 20’s probably) whipped me off the ground and onto his shoulders whilst still going absolutely mental. Was the best celebration I’d ever been involved in and fair play to the guy for giving me that experience when he had no idea who I was and vice versa.

Watched the trophy presentation from the concourse at the back and an old guy had fell and smashed his head open after the winner. Paramedics were there and determined to get him on a stretcher and out but his words were ‘I’m not leaving the stadium until I see the Rangers lift that fucking trophy’. Paramedic had to hold him up to watch it before he’d leave.

Great day!

I was 9 and my old man used to lift me up after every goal. Unfortunately, he’d ruptured his Achilles and was still on one crutch at this game so couldn’t lift me easily. When the winner went in I was begging for him to lift me up and he couldn’t. The guy behind me (mid 20’s probably) whipped me off the ground and onto his shoulders whilst still going absolutely mental. Was the best celebration I’d ever been involved in and fair play to the guy for giving me that experience when he had no idea who I was and vice versa.

Watched the trophy presentation from the concourse at the back and an old guy had fell and smashed his head open after the winner. Paramedics were there and determined to get him on a stretcher and out but his words were ‘I’m not leaving the stadium until I see the Rangers lift that fucking trophy’. Paramedic had to hold him up to watch it before he’d leave.

Great day!
Amazing mate both parts to the story

I look back on this match with special fondness because, as far as I can remember, it was about the time my youngest took an interest in football, as he had been too young to appreciate it before that; so it was the first final I remember watching with all of my kids together. Great day; the timing of the winning goal was perfect.

This was the game that made me a Rangers supporter. I was 5 and although I'd been to the club with my dad for every game I didn't really pay attention till the final. We had over 100 people I seem to recall in the pub, free pies and sausage rolls as well as a raffle. Rangers News were also there doing a write up before the team came out to Giants Stadium that summer. I don't remember much of the match, but remember the bedlam when Lovenkrands scored and he immediately became my favourite player (even met him at my first time at Ibrox the following November).

The trousers I was wearing had a velcro fastener when he scored I jumped up and my breeks fell down.so there i was in the middle of absolute bedlam going mental with my trousers round my ankles

Apart from the obvious ones did anyone have any funny tales or memories from this day?

it was my first old firm cup final and indeed my first old firm being allowed to go unsupervised as a young lad. It was bedlam. What a view I had at the winner

Was 18, first Scottish cup final, had been unlucky not to get a ticket for the 2000 cup final.

Was behind the goal, looking directly onto where the ball hit the net for 2nd and 3rd goal, knew it was in as soon as it hit his head.

Sheer pandemonium at the goal, remember when leaving the stadium I seen a guy I had met doing the Amsterdam arena tour the day before the feyenoord game, always remember when we got back on the train to go back to Amsterdam he opens his jacket and produces a few goods he had 'borrowed ' from the club shop.

Was a member of Texas True Blues at the time. Club was absolutely packed, since I think OTC might have been going on.
Took my 10 year-old son. He's been to games before, but the place being shoulder to shoulder gave it that big game feel. When Ferguson's free kick went in, we both went nuts jumping up and down celebrating. Only realized a couple of minutes later, I'd dropped my phone and been jumping on it while celebrating.
Oh well, getting up the mhanks at the cost of a new phone. No biggie. :)

Gave my ticket to my then girlfriend, now wife, to go as she'd never been to a final. Watched it in my flat right next to Hampden. We had an open door policy that day. Eight flats in the tenement, seven good guys and one tim, but we all got on great. Got the sound in stereo from the TV and through the window when we scored. Can't believe to this day I was such a romantic idiot!

Even my ex who hated me and Rangers cheered that goal before she realised how much it would mean to me

Was right behind the goal where Lovenkrand's scored.
Utter carnage all around.
By the time wee came back down to earth big mate and myself looked up and scum end was empty.

After much merriment long into the night I managed to get home.
In the door and took a flyer for the brick wall in lounge.
Don't know how I stopped but did, turned around went in the other direction and stuck my head right through lounge door.
Sunday got the cold shoulder all day, Monday morning timber merchants for a new door.:oops::(

Even my ex who hated me and Rangers cheered that goal before she realised how much it would mean to me
You sound like you would have a couple of good stories for the psycho ex thread in the lounge.

I was still ranting about the penalty we didn't get when the winner hit the net.
Never gone from anger to utter delirium so quickly!

Went with a mate who had a spare ticket.Walked into the Crown Bar(yes that one) and saw a guy I used to go on the bus with.Said to him are you going?
He said nah didnt get one in the ballot.
I said you want go?
Looked at me like..aye F*kin right!!
Said I've got a spare and it's yours. the joy on his his face is what being part of the Rangers family is all about!

Ended up absolutely steaming that day/night. Mind going mental when Lovenkrands scored but totally forget where I was?! Always sign of a good day out.

it was the last game i attended with both my dad and uncle together, both still alive but health stopped my uncle going from that game on. What a memorable day.

Never forget it, Always remember I was in row AAA, when he scored I somehow managed to be near the front of the stand, but the time the I got my breath back there was no Sticky tapes left in their end. What a feeling, 2nd only to Fiorentina

The winning goal was literally one of the greatest moments of my life.

I can still see it in slow motion in my minds eye. I was in the north stand/ west stand corner about 20 rows back on the edge of a row.

I see McCann crossing over...the header going in and then utter carnage. Bodies and limbs everywhere. I had torn my ankle ligaments at 5vs a few days before so could barely walk. I ended up about 5 rows from where I started in agony. When I looked up the tims had gone. It is genuinely one of those goals I could watch in slow motion with a “raging bull”soundtrack for the rest of my life. Have never know elation like it. Christ I’m welling up typing this.

Always a tiny regret that the bbc footage doesn’t quite capture the magnitude of the moment by focussing in on lovenkrands. Seeing the Bears celebrate in full surround sound wide angle is the greatest sight that I will ever see. Weirdly I remember the Hately goal against Marseille in a similar fashion. Seeing the whole main stand (where i usually sit) go mental from an unusual angle (the Copland front) sticks with me

I was down near the front and right in line with Barry’s free kick. As soon as it left his foot I was going mad because I knew it was going in. When the winner went in, the place just went mental. Some big lad beside me lifted me about 3 foot in the air, I thought he was gonna drop me :))

Just watching the vid again, some of the tackles that weren’t even bookings would have the offended bus shouting murder now

The day was sensational from start to finish.

Up early. Down to the halls to drink and play pool and meet mates.

Then on to the game on a double decker that was literally bouncing.

Game brilliant.

Bus brilliant on way home then pub and club with mates

Home at 11.30 the next morning.

We were living in Edinburgh at the time and my Mrs went in to labour mid morning on Cup Final day so off to The Simpson we went.

The delivery room had a TV so I managed to watch the game until, just after they went 2-1 up, my wee yin decided it was time to appear so telly went off and I tried to be an attentive and supportive dad. By about 5pm my Mrs had given birth to a lovely,healthy and very long 10lb baby girl but I had to wait over an hour to go to the car park and phone my auld man to ask about the score. He just managed to say, "We won 3-2" before my auld dear snatched the phone from him to ask about the wean so I didn't get all the details until the next day.

The wee yin was 17 this year, is a 5'11 stick insect and about as nice as a teen girl can get and is a brilliant aide-memoire to a memorable day.

I was at the game with my brother, who had tears of joy running down his face when the winner went in.

It’s the elation at games like this that keep you going back time after time, year after year, looking for the same high.

Back