Subdued build up to the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Tack

Anyone feel that the build up to tomorrow nights game is a little subdued ? Feels more low key .

I think with the old Firm defeat and the dodgy homemade performance v Livingston I’m not sure we feel so confident .

However the gaffers record on Europe should encourage us all ,I’m sure come kick off time the place will be bouncing.

It does feel a little lowkey. I think the abject defeat to the bheasts, then a 2 week international break, followed by a low key game against a side we are expected to comfortably beat, has contributed to this. By tomorrow, I’m sure, the mood might be a bit more what you’d expect.

The important matches were in qualifying. Now we are here, I think we can just go out and enjoy these games. I was far more nervous v FCM and Legia.

It only feels 'lowkey' because there is no pressure on us to win, getting there was the most important part financially, now we can just go and hopefully enjoy it.

Exactly this. I’m looking forward to the game and more generally seeing how we get on but I’m approaching the Group with no major expectations. I was a bag of nerves for days before both Legia matches in contrast.

Might reassess if we get off to a flier like last year but the pressure is off now for me personally at least.

Rather low key than over confidence. That and the fact FARE will be all over this game. Whilst the support has delivered since those bastards chased us, there is still an area of concern.

Positive result and no injuries.

Not low key in my house been buzzing for it since full time on saturday. Time to mix it up with the bigger teams of europe again. All of the teams in our group are Champions League quality we need to see where we are

Haha you're at it
I'm not really mate.

We were told it would be rocking against Legia, but it was only decent towards the end of the game. Up until then it was pretty pish.

Much depends what's happening on the pitch, but more often than not we are the classic 'only sing when we're winning'.

Hope it's good though. It deserves to be.

I want us to get tore right into this.

I think it’s low key because it’s feeling normal again if that makes sense

Last season the Europa group stages were a huge achievement and it was shiny and new

This season it is what is expected of a club like ours

Exactly what I came in to post. We as a club should bare minimum be competing at Europa group stages again every year. We all know that our shit seeding makes that very hard for the next few years but doing it two years in a row with our (lack of ) seeding has very quickly normalised it.

If we go 1-2 years drawing an arsenal in round 4 before we are either seeded well enough or get a fortunate draw to make the groups again there will be another shiny new feel probably one last time and we are probably then seeded and into the realms of “the norm”.

It only feels 'lowkey' because there is no pressure on us to win, getting there was the most important part financially, now we can just go and hopefully enjoy it.

Also very true! Bank the money and move on.

I've read folk wanting a reserve team out so the players are fresh for St Johnstone on Sunday.

3 points behind with 33 games to play and folk are panicking already.

I hope the players are more composed and a bit more confident than some of the fans.

I wonder if those same individuals will have forked out a small fortune for a 3 match package to watch said reserve team?

I think the Old Firm defeat, horrible injuries and the Jekyll-and-Hyde performance against Livi have been a right boot in the baws.

The build up to the game is exactly the way it should be for me. Players getting on with their preparations in the background and I’m counting down the hours until Thursday.

I’ve missed the last couple of matches as I’ve been away, so absolutely buzzing for tomorrow night’s game.

BATTLE FEVER ON!
Let’s get right into these Dutch cunts! No surrender!!!

Last edited:
Is it low key because we are only in it to make up the numbers? After all Julie has been telling anyone that will listen that Celtc have already won the trophy.

For me the built up usually starts once I've watched the managers press conference which should be later today.

I've read folk wanting a reserve team out so the players are fresh for St Johnstone on Sunday.

I hope the players are more composed and a bit more confident than some of the fans.
A reserve team is pushing it, but I’d definitely be having a rotation system of 2-3 players for EL and SPL.

This is going to be hugely unpopular, but I’d be starting Defoe in EL and keeping Alfie for the league. Not to say he shouldn’t come on at some stage, but the league is paramount and Alfie is going to be our main man more often than not during the league campaign. I’d be keeping his as fit and fresh as possible. Defoe is more than capable in the EL.

On the flip side, I’d be using Arfield only for the EL and giving him a break from league duty. He’s a big loss when not at full fitness and I think this could work well.

Left back - use Barisic in EL and Flanagan in SPL

I can't wait for the game but can't blame people for feeling a bit fed up after two lacklustre performances in a row, one of which against them, and our star signing getting injured after only half an hour.

The atmosphere will be great tomorrow.

I’d rather have players keeping their powder dry than the likes of ‘Big Julie’ spouting that they’re going to win the Europa League.

Maybe he should start with *getting a game* against Cluj :rolleyes::D

Thursday is exactly what we and the players need! A big European game at Ibrox in the group stage after 2 months and 8 games through 4 qualifiers- we have earned this. We will all enjoy it, the pressure of a league match isn't there on Thursday, we can let our hair down and give it our all.

In terms of myself, due to the Uefa sanctions I feel a bit more anxious about the games at Ibrox now as I know if any section starts singing dodgy songs then Porto at home WILL be behind closed doors.

Loud and proud on Thursday yes but nothing that is in any way dangerous.

Over the past couple of years some of the most animated scenes from SG have been in European competition.

So the manager will be for it. Many of the payers he signed came to us to experience proper European football. They will be up for it.

We ALL need to be up for it !!!!

Let's Go !!!!

I do op, i am usually quite poitive but the old firm game really knocked the stuffing out of me, some of Gerrards decisions are concerning me and the team are not playing with the tempo and flair that we know they can.

I really hope something sparks us into life because our euro run has been brilliant.

I wonder if those same individuals will have forked out a small fortune for a 3 match package to watch said reserve team?

No doubt also the same ones that would destroy Gerrard and the team if we were to play a weak side and lose.

Just people that talk shite and don't understand the sport or devoid of any long term vision.

Anyone feel that the build up to tomorrow nights game is a little subdued ? Feels more low key .

I think with the old Firm defeat and the dodgy homemade performance v Livingston I’m not sure we feel so confident .

However the gaffers record on Europe should encourage us all ,I’m sure come kick off time the place will be bouncing.

Jeest get on wi it and stop the fuukin bleatin.

Long way to go for anything much to happen, the players know what the stakes are.

Get a backbone.

Pot 3 team at home. On paper this should be the least difficult game of the group for us.

Domestic success is priority, but I think SG will be all in for a win tomorrow.

The buzz will arrive as soon as we all finish work tomorrow. Hopefully we do the business.

The UEFA charges, the media backlash, the clubs handling of Union bears, the subsequent negativity and affected atmosphere, pressure on and off the field, the old firm defeat, the injuries and poor performance v Livingston. They are all connected and are the reason for this quiet build up. Once again our enemies seen us flourishing and used their guerrilla tactics and espionage to derail our momentum.

Always up for every one of our games. Have to confess to feeling as though I've been punched in the stomach with the news of the loss of Fernando though. Tomorrow night seems miles away right now.

Been on a downer since the old firm tbh, a win tomorrow night would certainly boost morale.

As for Fernando such sad news, if the players show half the fight he has we will be fine

Following on form the terribly sad news, it has floored us all.

However, we know that Fernando wouldn't want us to mump and groan. It's never been his style. He would want us to turn up tomorrow night and give it our all from the stands. His strength through all this should be an inspiration to every one of us.

For me, Sunday's game is the more important of the two. I know many will disagree with that , but that is how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back