Porto independent travel routes

GeckoBear29

Proud Bronze MyGers Member
Official Ticketer
Trying to put together a plan how to get there fairly cheap.

What’s everyone else doing?

Looking for suggestions that I can use/use a combo of

going tuesday Glasgow to Dublin was£10. Dublin to Porto was £45.Coming back friday via Brussels was £125 though have to spend friday night in Brussels which was another £50.

I know! Kinda have my heart set on going. Have got myself to Porto until the £25th for £104.00

Just trying to work out how to get back
If any good i have just looked at
porto - brussels

Brussels - edinburgh on the 25th £189

What’s the actual latest on the Thomas Cook day trip? Has anyone actually heard anything to suggest it will get cancelled? Other than assuming it will down to TC financial difficulty.

What’s the actual latest on the Thomas Cook day trip? Has anyone actually heard anything to suggest it will get cancelled? Other than assuming it will down to TC financial difficulty.
Assumption on my part but can’t see the flight still going

For the way back we booked Friday morning

Porto to Faro
Faro to Newcastle
Then train booked for up the road

That cost about £130

Edinburgh - Barcelona - Porto Wed
Porto - Luxembourg - Edinburgh Fri

I wonder what the chances are of Sport Options doing a daytrip now, the overnight doesn't really suit me with work.

Glasgow via Heathrow & Madrid to Porto & back same way with BA if they are not on strike. Tuesday to Friday.

Travel Club insist Thomas Cook Sports are a different company.

That would be a result

Clearly the fleet of aircraft they have access to would be affected ?

Edit. 2 minute google says they are gubbed come morning. T&C on the website relate to ‘Thomas Cook Retail Limited’

Hopefully SportOptions see an opportunity to get an official deal

Last edited:
That would be a result

Clearly the fleet of aircraft they have access to would be affected ?

Edit. 2 minute google says they are gubbed come morning. T&C on the website relate to ‘Thomas Cook Retail Limited’

Hopefully SportOptions see an opportunity to get an official deal

Would be a result but it’s untrue. Try going into Thomas Cook Sport website. Sorry, just saw your edit.

Last edited:

Tuesday-Edinburgh -London -porto
Friday Porto-Madrid-London -Edinburgh

Just booked the Sports Options one. Bit of a gutter as was trying to use the official route for a ticket on 0 points. Now not guarantee a ticket but would still need to travel anyway. Still be a good laugh though sure plenty of us will be there in the same boat.

Travel Club insist Thomas Cook Sports are a different company.
The Thomas Cook Sport website has been updated to show the below message,

Thomas Cook UK Plc and associated UK entities have entered Compulsory Liquidation and are now under the control of the Official Receiver.

The UK business has ceased trading with immediate effect and all future flights and holidays are cancelled.

A dedicated support service is being provided by The Civil Aviation Authority to assist customers currently overseas and those in the UK with future bookings.
Please visit:
thomascook.caa.co.uk
for further information.

For the way back we booked Friday morning

Porto to Faro
Faro to Newcastle
Then train booked for up the road

That cost about £130
I'm on the porto faro flight on friday morning but then its faro to prestwick for me, cost me about 140 last week.

There was a Edinburgh to Brussels then Brussels to Porto on Wednesday morning costing about 130 quid a few days ago.
Lots of options to come in home on the friday, especially if you dont mind fuckin about with 2 or 3 flights

There was a Edinburgh to Brussels then Brussels to Porto on Wednesday morning costing about 130 quid a few days ago.
Lots of options to come in home on the friday, especially if you dont mind fuckin about with 2 or 3 flights
I’m sorted for going out but what’s the few options on Friday?

Flying out from Luton to Porto Direct on Wizzair on the Thursday Morning returning Saturday on Easy Jet, Porto to Luton Direct. It wasn't the cheapest at £250.

I’m sorted for going out but what’s the few options on Friday?
My route is porto - Faro - prestwick.
Only taking 5 hours all in, I got it for 140 but its nearly 200 quid now.
If you dont mind a lot of travelling and a long journey you can go Porto - Madrid - birmingham - Glasgow for about 100 quid.
Takes all day though.
Theres also lots of flights via London dining in less than 150 quid.

Flying out from Luton to Porto Direct on Wizzair on the Thursday Morning returning Saturday on Easy Jet, Porto to Luton Direct. It wasn't the cheapest at £250.
What flight are you on from Luton mate? The half 6 or half 10?

I’m actually in Spain till the Wednesday night on holiday with the family which is why had registered to go official day trip meaning could come home with them. Am looking at
Alicante-Barcelona-Porto on the thurs morn and Porto-stanstead-Glasgow home on the Friday.

Hotels are about £60 a night.
Thats the flights that i am on you can also go wednesday same route for£70.
You can get for £45 on Wednesday if you're happy to wait around in Palma all day.

Glasgow 07:00 - 10:50 Palma
Palma 21:50 - 22:50 Porto

My faither and I booked -

Edinburgh to Lisbon on the Tuesday direct - Ryanair - 0745 departure, 1055 arrival.

Lisbon to Edinburgh via Dublin on the Saturday - Aer Lingus 1120 departure, arrival 1415, then Ryanair, 1935 departure, 2030 arrival.

I paid £156 per person in total on the day of the draw, now sitting at £238.

Going on the Tuesday from Edinburgh to Lisbon is still cheap - for example, £39 via Dublin and the total journey time is under 7 hours (there are multiple options, both direct and indirect), however you might have to revise the inbound flight as it is significantly more expensive than when I booked.

Of course I'll have to add a couple of trains onto that to get to and from Porto, which I haven't done and the longer you are away, the accommodation costs add up. Got a decent looking Airbnb in central Porto for two nights for £34 per person per night. Still need to book accommodation in Lisbon for Tuesday and Friday nights.

Obviously not going to work for those short on time though we wanted to make a short holiday out of it and I'm looking forward to seeing both cities.

Last edited:
Edinburgh-Luxembourg- Porto on Wednesday
Porto-Copenhagen-Edinburgh on Friday.

£160 return by booking seperate tickets. Ryanair and Easy Jet combo

Wednesday Prest - Faro - train to Lisbon
Stay at mates, Benfica v Lyon
Thursday Lisbon - Porto - stay over
Friday Porto - Lisbon- back to mates -night out on the town
Saturday Lisbon - Dublin - Glasgow
Total transport and Porto hotel approx £180

Back