Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

A Rangers v Partick Thistle match at Hampden in the 1950s, probably a Glasgow Cup Final I'm reckoning:

wZAVYyp.jpg

A Rangers v Partick Thistle match at Hampden in the 1950s, probably a Glasgow Cup Final I'm reckoning:

wZAVYyp.jpg

Played Partick Thistle 3 times in the Glasgow Cup Final at Hampden in the 1950s...

1952–53Partick Thistle3–1Rangers
1954–55Partick Thistle2–0Rangers
1959–60Rangers2–1Partick Thistle

Reactions: ao2
I've got photos of Bears celebrating in The Jungle after Colin Jackson's winner in 1974 for anyone who doubts we were ever in there :D
There is a great photograph immediately after the Bomber had scored. Quinton Young is hugging big Jackson and in the distance, Tommy McLean is facing the jungle with arms outstretched and looking at a human maelstrom of celebration. Iain McDougall had a great game that day too and scored the first iirc. A great day out for the supporters and the first hint we had that we could finally break their IAR run.

I've got photos of Bears celebrating in The Jungle after Colin Jackson's winner in 1974 for anyone who doubts we were ever in there :D
My late dad and I stood in the old jungle for the 73, 74 and 76 victories, it was always a lucky part of the ground for us.
Most of the goals for us were at our end.
I can't remember being in there after the 76 Glasgow cup final.

My late dad and I stood in the old jungle for the 73, 74 and 76 victories, it was always a lucky part of the ground for us.
Most of the goals for us were at our end.
I can't remember being in there after the 76 Glasgow cup final.
i was only allowed to go to the piggery from season 77,78 and Rangers fans had our end and about a quarter of main stand was wire m barriers between our end and jungle as we would stand there and point and laugh at the tramps

I think the last time we got a part of it was the 1976 Glasgow Cup Final?

I’m pretty certain it was the 1-1 draw in November 75. I was in it standing almost on the halfway line. The next time we went there in May 1976 we had won the league the previous weekend and the Jungle was full of them. We never got back in it after that.

Sam English had a sad life after the death of John Thomson in 1931, not least as a result the outrageous comments of scum manager Maley at the inquest. Not one player on the field thought the coming together was anything other than accidental but Maley's comment "I hope it was an accident" scarred English for the rest of his life and he died at the early age of 58 in 1967. Here he is in another Rangers v Celtic match, this time at Hampden:

Re32BzH.jpg

Rangers 2-2 Celtic, 17th October 1987. Chris Woods lamps one on McAvennie and both are sent off, followed soon after by Terry Butcher (also in the photo), with Graham Roberts (behind Butcher) famously taking over in goal and conducting the Ibrox choir after Richard Gough's late equaliser that almost blew the roof off Ibrox. Unbelievably all four would end up in court:

R7UyV7G.jpg

Last edited:
I’m pretty certain it was the 1-1 draw in November 75. I was in it standing almost on the halfway line. The next time we went there in May 1976 we had won the league the previous weekend and the Jungle was full of them. We never got back in it after that.

You could be right mate. I know they put the fences up there after a pitch invasion in a game v Hibs in a game that was abandoned because of fog with the scum losing 0-2 (if it had ended on time the fog wouldn't have been too bad). They got a 1-1 draw in the replayed game. I think that was October 1975. It was definitely around that time we last got part of The Jungle and they cut our allocation regularly after that.

Old Rugby park?

The fences around the pitch in the background look like Rugby Park mate, so I think you're right. I loved games down there back in the day. Now with that pitch and their petty ticket allocations they've diminished the experience I think.

You could be right mate. I know they put the fences up there after a pitch invasion in a game v Hibs in a game that was abandoned because of fog with the scum losing 0-2 (if it had ended on time the fog wouldn't have been too bad). They got a 1-1 draw in the replayed game. I think that was October 1975. It was definitely around that time we last got part of The Jungle and they cut our allocation regularly after that.

That was the same day we were at Motherwell winning 1-0. Then the fog came down, you couldn’t see a thing and we lost 2-1.
Their game got abandoned because hundreds of scum invaded the pitch in conditions that were no worse than ours.

That was the same day we were at Motherwell winning 1-0. Then the fog came down, you couldn’t see a thing and we lost 2-1.
Their game got abandoned because hundreds of scum invaded the pitch in conditions that were no worse than ours.

Yep. We played well but lost. Their pitch invasion meant their game went on later and the fog came down thick and they got out of jail. At least we still won the league in the end!

Back