Has John Fleck Eventually Fulfilled His Potential?

Has John Fleck eventually fulfilled his potential?

• Yes

Votes: 311 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 74 15.7%
  • Can’t Say

Votes: 85 18.1%

• Total voters
I'm pretty sure at 16/17 he was voted top of FIFA's top wonderkids to look out for or something like that. Folk were genuinely saying he could end up like another Wayne Rooney.

I played against him a few times in the youth setup and although he was good, he never wowed me at all.

Fair play to him though, looked as though he was going to piss it all away at one point. He used to be in nightclubs up town at 16/17 getting blootered.

I'm pretty sure at 16/17 he was voted top of FIFA's top wonderkids to look out for or something like that. Folk were genuinely saying he could end up like another Wayne Rooney.

I played against him a few times in the youth setup and although he was good, he never wowed me at all.

Fair play to him though, looked as though he was going to piss it all away at one point. He used to be in nightclubs up town at 16/17 getting blootered.

I played against him a few times also, the Rooney stuff was pretty ridiculous to be honest.

Similar to Barrie McKay.....

Some quarters of FF will have you believe he was supposed to be playing “top end EPL” very shortly after leaving rangers.

How’s each player getting on now? How many tv apps? How many apps in Europe? How many caps? How’s their longevity at the top end of the EPL? How many clubs knocking on the door? How many of their home fans are “buzzing” to be in their shoes right now?

He was supposed to be Scotland's Wayne Rooney. He's breaking through at the age Rooney was when he was winding down his career. He can't get a game for Scotland.
Look at where Billy Gilmour is. That was supposed to be the level Fleck was at.
He's done well to salvage a career but the follies of youth put paid to what he should have been.

Slightly off topic but sheffields sponsor, the double union jack thing would look great on our strip!

I think he is doing brilliant for Sheffield Utd, a top top lad.

He kept bad company as a youngster at Rangers and the powers above were not happy at all - at once stage they didn’t want his girlfriend or her family behind the scenes at games.

His girlfriend is now his wife and they are now much older and far more mature.

Flecks in-laws are cousins with Andy Halliday’s Mrs Jilly Cross.

Her side from Southside and Flecks in-laws Saracen St

The biggest problem fleck had was that Murray deliberately caused the hype in the media comparing him to Rooney to take the pressure off himself at the time. He was a talented player that has gone on to prove that but we were all expecting another Laudrup or Gascoigne based on the hype he was getting which was totally unfair on him

Thought it’s an interesting question. Floats under the radar and had a great game for Sheff Utd vs the European Champions today (arguably their best player I would say).
He was excellent against Liverpool. It is an interesting question as I always thought he would be a ball-playing midfielder. What struck me yesterday was how hard he worked

Fleck has been playing consistently well for 4 or 5 seasons now as a deep lying playmaker.

Works his arse off and gets battered into tackles, but more importantly he can play. Got a great left foot and can beat a man when required.

He should already be a regular in the Scotland squad.

Fleck has been playing consistently well for 4 or 5 seasons now as a deep lying playmaker.

Works his arse off and gets battered into tackles, but more importantly he can play. Got a great left foot and can beat a man when required.

Should be, won't be. The Scottish national side is basically a current and former Celtc side. I despise them.

How he doesn’t get picked is pretty bizarre.

I can’t believe some of the grudging comments. He’s a high-class player and has been for a few years now. Certain players need the right system and the right manager to flourish. He was never going to make it to the top as a left winger or in a team playing 442.

Everybody seems to value thrusting players like McGinn (and admittedly he has attributes) who can’t pass their water. I think Scotland could do with promoting a few players like JF who can actually keep the ball. John is the wrong background to be given caps under this regime though.

I think he was over hyped because he had such a mature physique at such an early age. That's essentially what made him stand out at that age. Playing with men he wasn't half so impressive. Obviously a talented player, though, and great to see him coming through to play at such a good level, having effectively started at the bottom in England.

I've got to watch him (and Sheffield United) a fair bit over the last 18 months.

He's been brilliant in almost every game I've watched. Can do it all. Would love to see him at Rangers but understand that won't be happening.

How the hell he isn't a mainstay in the national team is an indictment on the current set up

The penny dropped for me, I think - if memory serves me correctly - that he was never going to make it for us when he started out wide at Fir Park and was hooked after offering very little.

Which was little fault of the player's.

He'd be even better if Sheff Utd played him wide left.

images

He’s a very good footballer.

Walter did not do him any favours playing him horrifically out of position.
Its not like Walter eh?, Re Fleck he is having a great season so far and played really well yesterday, it must be great for him playing in the EPL week in week out

He is playing EPL at 28, I’d say that’s his peak years, and is playing in the best league in the UK. His potential is filled imo. If Shef go down, he will be one of those cherrypicked from them.
Keep up the good work John, you have done yourself proud.

Those saying he was never a wide player, that was always where he played in the youth teams whenever I came up against him.

Since Sean Bean is cellik I'm Sheff Wed now.
Always wondered about any actor willing to play the part of a provo scumbag (Patriot games I think), he is quite a watchable actor but there will always be a nasty background stain. Not surprised he likes them if what you say is correct

Voted yes ( for a change ) my cousin is a season ticket holder at United and he tells me he has been class for them. Now after seeing him in the premier league, albeit only highlights, he doesn’t look out of place in the epl.

Similar to Barrie McKay.....

Some quarters of FF will have you believe he was supposed to be playing “top end EPL” very shortly after leaving rangers.

How’s each player getting on now? How many tv apps? How many apps in Europe? How many caps? How’s their longevity at the top end of the EPL? How many clubs knocking on the door? How many of their home fans are “buzzing” to be in their shoes right now?

Talking of McKay, why is he modelling himself after Lloyd Christmas. I think @punksnotdead will be waiting a long time for that big money move in the EPL!

How he doesn’t get picked is pretty bizarre.

Not when you consider the selection policy of the bigotted clownshoe in charge now. How the fuk does the Father of the Year continue to get selected (rhetorical question...)

I've a mate who is a Sheffield Utd fan, and he's been raving about Fleck since he signed. They love him. Would be good to I have a large collection of butt-plugs to replace Davis when he retires in a year or 2, but he could end up at a higher level SPL team.

Talking of McKay, why is he modelling himself after Lloyd Christmas. I think @punksnotdead will be waiting a long time for that big money move in the EPL!

You could be right mate but I'll not lose any sleep over it. I still say McKay was one of the most naturally talented youngsters I've seen in ages. Whether he had the desire or application is another matter. Would love to have seen him playing in the current Rangers team with better players around him and the benefit of Gerrard's coaching though but that ship has sailed.

Still, at least we can agree that Greg Stewart is due a wee run in the team.

You could be right mate but I'll not lose any sleep over it. I still say McKay was one of the most naturally talented youngsters I've seen in ages. Whether he had the desire or application is another matter. Would love to have seen him playing in the current Rangers team with better players around him and the benefit of Gerrard's coaching though but that ship has sailed.

Still, at least we can agree that Greg Stewart is due a wee run in the team.

To be fair mate I’ve never once denied McKay’s ability, it’s the main reason I don’t like him, I find it infuriating when a player has his talents but just doesn’t have the drive to make the most of it. Most players in Scotland would give their left baw for his raw talent.

I said prior to Stewart signing that I thought he’d be more effective against tight defences than Candeias, the thing that made me change that view was that in his few fleeting appearances he looked a bit fearful and tentative as though he might be one of these players who just can’t quite handle the pressure at expectation at a club like ours. But full credit to the guy, he looked the business yesterday and if he can keep doing that I’ll be well and truly eating my words. Was over the moon for him.

I went to watch the youths when the hype was about. He's taken a long time to fulfil his potential (if he has as he was tipped for the top). The next Wayne Rooney comments didn't help him.

His surname isn't McGinn so there's little to no chance of being a regular starter with the National team.
The wee Fella's worked his socks off and deserves every success that comes his way.
No bad from a young lad fae Possil.

Back