A quite incredible stat

Another amazing and quite improbable thing I heard today was that Simply The Best is actually called The Best, and it's a cover - Bonnie Tyler did it first.

Well, I never..:eek:

The average amount of fouls/yellow card ratio for a team in the Scottish league this year is 9 - so 9 fouls usually equate to one yellow card.

Currently Celtics foul/yellow card ratio is 25 - quite incredible they have the cheek to moan about refereeing.

We have less yellow cards than them now from more fouls. Being involved in competitive games will produce more yellow cards - don't think there's anything more to it than that.

They were involved in a 1-1 draw with Hibs and picked up 5 yellows. We tanked Aberdeen 5-0 and picked up none. Why does everything have to automatically be a conspiracy?

We are picking up 1 yellow for every 12 fouls and they are picking up 1 yellow for every 9.25 fouls.

We have less yellow cards than them now from more fouls. Being involved in competitive games will produce more yellow cards - don't think there's anything more to it than that.

They were involved in a 1-1 draw with Hibs and picked up 5 yellows. We tanked Aberdeen 5-0 and picked up none. Why does everything have to automatically be a conspiracy?

We are picking up 1 yellow for every 12 fouls and they are picking up 1 yellow for every 9.25 fouls.
One game has skewed that number though.
25 fouls per booking is simply unheard of.

One game has skewed that number though.
25 fouls per booking is simply unheard of.

It was taken 6 games into the season though - hence why 1 game has seemingly "skewed it". If it was after 30 games it would have been unheard of, but they were barely challenged domestically in those first 6 games, they were never getting through the entire season like that.

I'm willing to bet whichever team wins their games the most comfortably will also pick up the fewest yellow cards. Don't think there's anything more to it than that.

It was taken 6 games into the season though - hence why 1 game has seemingly "skewed it". If it was after 30 games it would have been unheard of, but they were barely challenged domestically in those first 6 games, they were never getting through the entire season like that.

I'm willing to bet whichever team wins their games the most comfortably will also pick up the fewest yellow cards. Don't think there's anything more to it than that.
If you're actually willing to bet, I'll stick £50 to the charity of your choosing at seasons end in your name if you're right.

You can do likewise for me with a donation to Erskine if I'm right?

I could be wrong – but were there not similar crazy numbers for the entirety of last season?

Well done gents, an honourable way to decide a difference of opinions! For what it's worth, I love a good stat and am inclined to side with your interpretation Barker 96, but would also be happy if you won Chief Wahoo cos it gives us a stick to beat the Beggars conspiracy theorists with, and also Erskine gets £50!!!
If @Barker96 wins, he may well choose Erskine.
Either way, it's a good cause and something to keep an eye on over the season.

I could be wrong – but were there not similar crazy numbers for the entirety of last season?

Couldn't tell you mate, but if it was as high as 25 fouls per booking for them I'd be surprised.

Thinking back to last season we were involved in a huge amount of battles with teams like Aberdeen, Hibs & Killie, so it wouldn't surprise me that we picked up more yellows and reds. Haven't looked at the exact numbers, and maybe people are right that Celtic tend to get more leniency, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong but we'll see.

Couldn't tell you mate, but if it was as high as 25 fouls per booking for them I'd be surprised.

Thinking back to last season we were involved in a huge amount of battles with teams like Aberdeen, Hibs & Killie, so it wouldn't surprise me that we picked up more yellows and reds. Haven't looked at the exact numbers, and maybe people are right that Celtic tend to get more leniency, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong but we'll see.

Don’t have the stats to hand. From memory, they were 2-3x fouls to get a booking than us and others domestically but in Europe we had the same booking to foul ratio.

My memory could be wrong though, so hopefully someone can find them!

Must be the fifth time it's been on. Someone posted it on here, it got shared around Twitter, then someone saw it and posted it on here, it got shared around Twitter, then someone saw it and posted it on here...
giphy.webp

Whatever happens, no matter who wins or if either side was to run away with the title.... without a doubt Rangers will finish with more cards/bookings points than Celtic. Be nice if the bookies were taking bets on it but doubt they would be daft enough to make it even split or even 10/11

Its a bit like asking which club will get the more positive press or attacked for any naughty songs.

Even at the weekend you seen some serious rule bending with the cards, Aberdeen were lucky not to see a red, so were Celtic once again... but yeah we should be delighted Bobby gave 2 obvious penalties that even the media and the Aberdeen manager couldnt moan about, or send any Gers players off.

The numbers will regress to the mean.

Those stats can't be true. Ntcham only hit the Hibs player 3 times before he was booked. Unless Kevin didn't learn to count at the 'school' he went to.

Those stats actually depend on a foul being awarded in the first place

You’d be as well dipping into your pocket now pal, if you watched the games a Celtic played in December there would be no debate as to whether they get an easy ride, it’s about as blatant as you’ll see

from this time last year....

Rangers penalised for 260 fouls, Celtic only 196.
Rangers got a yellow card every 7.2 fouls, Celtic get an extra three fouls per yellow: 10.2.
Rangers get a red card every 52 fouls, Celtic get one every 194 fouls.

no even sure why this is in debate to be honest

Last edited:
You’d be as well dipping into your pocket now pal, if you watched the games a Celtic played in December there would be no debate as to whether they get an easy ride, it’s about as blatant as you’ll see

from this time last year....

Rangers penalised for 260 fouls, Celtic only 196.
Rangers got a yellow card every 7.2 fouls, Celtic get an extra three fouls per yellow: 10.2.
Rangers get a red card every 52 fouls, Celtic get one every 194 fouls.

no even sure why this is in debate to be honest

Rangers sitting at one yellow per 9.04 fouls this season. Celtic sitting at one yellow per 8.81 fouls.

The stats don't back up what you're saying - and yes Clancy was corrupt.

If anything it's Morelos that's being refereed to a different standard.

Barker96 appears to have been bang on in what he was saying about each club's foul count though.

Another amazing and quite improbable thing I heard today was that Simply The Best is actually called The Best, and it's a cover - Bonnie Tyler did it first.

Well, I never..:eek:
I did not know this

However, 'the best' version is still the Pop Idol gang on the football pitch in Germany.

Tremendous.

The average amount of fouls/yellow card ratio for a team in the Scottish league this year is 9 - so 9 fouls usually equate to one yellow card.

Currently Celtics foul/yellow card ratio is 25 - quite incredible they have the cheek to moan about refereeing.

They know what they’re doing. It’s all theatrics. Anything to get 100% of 50/50 decisions, and put refs off just enough for them to get away with fouls etc. that might just get them a win when it should be a draw.

The stats don't back up what you're saying - and yes Clancy was corrupt.
How’s that then? The stats I post clearly back up what I’m saying. Celtic get 3 extra fouls on average before they get a yellow card. Takes them four times as long to get a red card. Rangers get 25% more fouls than Celtic. I’m not sure if you’ve been watching but we aren’t a dirty team.

I’ve given a link to my stats. Somehow you can’t seem to understand what they show. Now do you fancy showing me where you’re getting your stats from?

I called Radio Clyde about this years ago. Celtic were committing twice as many fouls as EVERY other team in the league before their players were booked. Keevins and Delahunt couldnt explain this rather odd phenomenon.

Seems its still happening.

Our red cards to fouls seem outside normal deviation.

I would say that definitely a couple of referees are trying to influence the games with red cards.

Alfredo's had 7 red cards in a season and a half. If this was a Celtic player the refs would be getting hounded for bias.

I cant understand why Rangers arent asking serious questions about Alfredo being targeted both on and off the field. His record before he joined us was impeccable.

Back