Gazza v Gerrard

Pretty sure Gazza was the gaffers idol growing up. Pretty sure I seen a documentary type programme where he is back where he grew up and talks about having his Gazza England jersey on.

Yep says the same in his first autobiography. He played against him when Gazza was at Middlesborough. Gerrard megged him or something like that and Gazza gave him a sore one off the elbow

Lmao. If you think Gerrard didn't inspire Liverpool time after time you're on a different fucking planet to myself.

Have some of you been on the sauce or what?! Fucking ridiculous comments.
The way you're coming across, I'm rather glad of that. Gerrard through sheer hard work and determination pulled Liverpool along and handed them the UCL. Gazza was on a different planet football wise.

I'm sure if you asked Gascoigne who was better out of himself and Gerrard he would say Stevie. It's called being humble. Being modest.

The way you're coming across, I'm rather glad of that. Gerrard through sheer hard work and determination pulled Liverpool along and handed them the UCL. Gazza was on a different planet football wise.

Yeah, it wasn't his quality that won games for Liverpool. Just hard work and a bit of elbow grease...

Name me a game where Gazza virtually won a game by himself for his team as Gerrard did against West Ham in the FA Cup Final?

Theres no doubting Gerrard was a top footballer, likewise Lampard, but for sheer skill and entertainment Gazza was different class.

No one would deny that. But there's much more to football than skill and being entertaining on a football pitch.

Yeah, it wasn't his quality that won games for Liverpool. Just hard work and a bit of elbow grease...

Name me a game where Gazza virtually won a game by himself for his team as Gerrard did against West Ham in the FA Cup Final?

How about his hattrick against the Sheep to clinch the title. Two goals of the absolute highest quality.

Aberdeen at Ibrox to win the league. League cup final v Hearts at the piggery.

Although a huge influence I still don't think it compares to what Gerrard did.

Still waiting for someone to make a convincing case that Gascoigne had a better all round game than Gerrard also. All I keep seeing is skill and entertainment mentioned... But if it was those two things alone then Ronaldinho would be named as the best footballer of all time.

No one would deny that. But there's much more to football than skill and being entertaining on a football pitch.
But the question was, who was the best player, not the most effective. There is a difference.

Controversial probably, and will upset plenty here no doubt as everybody seems to be so touchy. But personally as a whole I'd make a case for Wayne Rooney over Gascoigne. Rooney was unbelievable for a few years when he was younger, he probably peaked a bit too early actually , but what he achieved can't be denied or disrespected. Talent is only half of it at the very highest level. Gascoigne for whatever the reasons wasn't able to be the full package. You look at the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney, Totti and Gerrard... One thing every single one of them had was drive and a steely determination to be the best for as long as physically possible.

Rooney. Lmao. I’m seriously wondering how much of Gascoigne you’ve ever seen.
Gazza’s ballboy by comparison.

Who's England record goalscorer? United's record goalscorer? Yes, Rooney generally played further up the pitch than Gascoigne admittedly. But despite having less talent Rooney will be remembered as a legend for what he achieved over a long period of time, and that's despite having some issues of his own as he was hardly an angel. Gascoigne is more remembered in a sympathetic sort of what for what he could have achieved and not for what he actually did.

If every England player from last 20 years done a poll of the greatest ever English player... Rooney wouldn’t even make top 10. Gazza would at least be top 3.

Fair enough, I'm probably stretching it a wee bit with Rooney. But Gerrard was a more complete player, 100%. He also had a far better career too.

But Gascoigne was a ridiculous talent and could have been up there with Maradona had not had the baggage he did.

Oooft...Tyler maybe too young to be owned with facts. That is just two Rangers games...before you ask Lazio and Spurs fans. Then Newcastle when he was a boy and then England.

I witnessed God and Gazza. I was blessed. Unlike Tyler i would not run one down to big up the other.

Us vs Aberdeen for 8 in a row
Tottenham vs Arsenal FA Cup semi final 1991
England Vs Scotland Euro 96

Thats just off the top of my head.

I'll still go with Gerrard then seeing as he produced for his club for 15 years or more, and not just two or thee seasons.

you really are an ignorant boorish chunt or a top troller...Hmm but what do think?

Who's England record goalscorer? United's record goalscorer? Yes, Rooney generally played further up the pitch than Gascoigne admittedly. But despite having less talent Rooney will be remembered as a legend for what he achieved over a long period of time, and that's despite having some issues of his own as he was hardly an angel. Gascoigne is more remembered in a sympathetic sort of what for what he could have achieved and not for what he actually did.
Total bullshit mate.

you really are an ignorant boorish chunt or a top troller...Hmm but what do think?

Just someone with an opinion on a forum, that's all. The fact that you are obviously so bothered by that has got me thinking that you have some deep mental issues. Seek help asap, for your own sake and everybody around you.

Just someone with an opinion on a forum, that's all. The fact that you are obviously so bothered by that has got me thinking that you have some deep mental issues. Seek help asap, for your own sake and everybody around you.

If you don't think Gazza is a legend and that he is somehow felt sorry for go and have a look at what those who played with him had to say about him. You think that Gerrards a better player and that's fair enough but why your trying to run down a Rangers legend on a Rangers forum is baffling mate.

Ha. Got it now. You are both.
You aren't even funny or clever...just a tadger. I don't think i am alone in my conclusion.

I'll still go with Gerrard then seeing as he produced for his club for 15 years or more, and not just two or thee seasons.
You're evading the question again, the question was not who was at the top the longest, the most effective or any other slant you want to introduce into the argument. Who was the best footballer.

gerrard literally inspired a bang average liverpool team to win the champions league

They weren’t bang average at all though. Hyperbolic nonsense right up there with Maradona and the 86 World Cup. You can say Gerrard was brilliant and Liverpool’s driving force without making crap up.

The fact he even asked that question given the importance of these performances to us is beyond embarrassing, Rangers fan? Starting to doubt it.

Also the notion Ronaldinho isn’t one of the best players to ever play the game and was just a show pony for entertainments sake suggests this poster shouldn’t be talking about any football prior to about 2008. In fact I’m starting to doubt he’s even old enough to remember Barry Ferguson.

If you don't think Gazza is a legend and that he is somehow felt sorry for go and have a look at what those who played with him had to say about him. You think that Gerrards a better player and that's fair enough but why your trying to run down a Rangers legend on a Rangers forum is baffling mate.

At no point in this thread have I said he wasn't a Rangers legend. I also haven't said that he wasn't a ridiculously gifted player. I simply would chose Gerrard over him for the reasons I've given and don't think Paul was quite the player he could have been under different circumstances. I'm not sure why people are getting so upset over it.

They weren’t bang average at all though. Hyperbolic nonsense right up there with Maradona and the 86 World Cup. You can say Gerrard was brilliant and Liverpool’s driving force without making crap up.

The fact he even asked that question given the importance of these performances to us is beyond embarrassing, Rangers fan? Starting to doubt it.

Also the notion Ronaldinho isn’t one of the best players to ever play the game and was just a show pony for entertainments sake suggests this poster shouldn’t be talking about any football prior to about 2008. In fact I’m starting to doubt he’s even old enough to remember Barry Ferguson.

And who has been giving that notion to you, you weirdo? Because I mentioned Ronaldinho but it certainly wasn't me.

You're evading the question again, the question was not who was at the top the longest, the most effective or any other slant you want to introduce into the argument. Who was the best footballer.

I've already answered that. As I said to begin with, Gascoigne is the more naturally talented of the two. But Gerrard was the more complete player, made more out of his talent and obviously had a much more prolonged career at the very highest level. So for those reasons I would take Stevrn Gerrard over Paul Gascoigne every day of the week.

At no point in this thread have I said he wasn't a Rangers legend. I also haven't said that he wasn't a ridiculously gifted player. I simply would chose Gerrard over him for the reasons I've given and don't think Paul was quite the player he could have been under different circumstances. I'm not sure why people are getting so upset over it.

Pretty certain most England fans will have him down as a legend also.

And who has been giving that notion to you, you weirdo? Because I mentioned Ronaldinho but it certainly wasn't me.

Hmmmmmm

Still waiting for someone to make a convincing case that Gascoigne had a better all round game than Gerrard also. All I keep seeing is skill and entertainment mentioned... But if it was those two things alone then Ronaldinho would be named as the best footballer of all time.

pie-in-face.jpg

Well, lets see...you insulted Gazza, you belittled him, you are totally clueless over what he achieved, you have been disparaging to fellow posters as dumb and ignorant.

But hey, why are folk getting upset at you?

Well, lets see...you insulted Gazza, you belittled him, you are totally clueless over what he achieved, you have been disparaging to fellow posters as dumb and ignorant.

Aren't you the guy that basically said that Gerrard never inspired Liverpool?

Hope you've taken your meds by now.

More than likely. But his goal against Scotland apart I think he would be known more for crying after their defeat to Italy in the World Cup ovet anything else he did for England.

Complete and utter bollocks mate. His performance against Holland in that world Cup was as good as any I have ever seen for a start.

He never became a global superstar on the back of crying against Germany it was his performances at the world cup.

But he didn't. He only has himself to blame for that. Football genius with the ball at his feet but thick as pig shit and mentally weak.

Absolute fcking bellend. You sound like a hateful mentally challenged growler. A bit of respect wouldn't go a miss.

For the record Gazza was a once in a couple of generation type player. The type you can't coach, the type you just give the ball and watch the magic happen. He had more god given talent than most players in world football. If it wasn't for his injuries and his demons we would never have saw him in a Rangers jersey. He was well above our level at his peak.

Gerrard was a fantastic football player but he couldn't lace Gazzas boots. Gerrard was a product of hard work, dedication and the English academy / YTS system. As much as I love Gerrard, he wasn't even the best player in his own England midfield.

Complete and utter bollocks mate. His performance against Holland in that world Cup was as good as any I have ever seen for a start.

He never became a global superstar on the back of crying against Germany it was his performances at the world cup.

So a handful of games? I remember him playing well against Netherlands but so did Sheringham, so did Shearer. He got 6 goals for England I believe. If you think that's enough for a player of his ability then we wouldn't agree on the colour of shite.

He wasn’t conceived until about 10 years after Gazza left Rangers but thinks he can sit and discuss his quality. “Mentally weak”, the guy shine at a World Cup for a nation notorious for being mentally weak as a unit. Sometimes it’s better to admit you’re pig ignorant and just bow out and get back to your homework.

Back