Tavernier - post match observation

He's not as good as last season because teams are double and sometimes triple marking him. Their entire defensive gameplan is built around keeping him quiet.

It's part of the reason Barisic has had such success on the other flank.

This fact often goes unnoticed on here.

Incidentally, I don't accept the premise that Tav had another poor game yesterday.

I don't think our team had any failures, except McGregor who spent the whole day sitting in the stands watching LOL

We need a candeias type winger in front of him to get the best out of tav. He can't drive on and attack all the time cause whoever plays in front him doesn't track back and cover him like Daniel did. I still wish we had him with us as I don't see ojo contributing much this season but I'm optimistic he can improveim not the type to write someone off in their first season as some will have noticed I backed barisic all last season cause its hard for some players to adapt to a new club country etc. I've always wanted to see how tav gets on at rb but his best attribute is overlapping the winger and whipping in excellent crosses so I don't think he'd be as good further forward

Quite ironic the 2 players that took the flak in the week combined for one of the best moves we will see this season in the lead up to Goldsons goal.

This fact often goes unnoticed on here.

Incidentally, I don't accept the premise that Tav had another poor game yesterday.

I don't think our team had any failures, except McGregor who spent the whole day sitting in the stands watching LOL
If you have a player who's drawing two or three opposition players to mark him, it's going to open up opportunities for the rest of the team.

Tavernier continues to be key for us, even if it's not reflected in statistical output or even in performance.

No team is scared of Jon Flanagan or Matt Polster. But they're terrified of Tavernier.

Not quite reached the heights of last season yet, but he has still been decent enough (apart from Thursday) and gives 100%, 100% of the time and never shirks responsibility.

There's no doubt in my mind he'll start firing on all cylinders again very soon.

(PS: It's easy to forget, but I think he's already at 3 goals and 7 assists? According to stats online at least)
Not against better teams he won't Tavernier is a decent player against less talented teams but unfortunately he seems to fail when a more quality team plays us

He's not as good as last season because teams are double and sometimes triple marking him. Their entire defensive gameplan is built around keeping him quiet.

It's part of the reason Barisic has had such success on the other flank.

Excellent observation. I was as angry as the next Bear during the YB game and it took a couple of days for me to calm down.

But on Sunday I said exactly the same thing you have posted to my mate who was a bit overly critical of Tav and gushing of praise for Borna.

It's good I get reassurance others recognise the overall game impact of our Captain. A bit like Stevie Davis and Ryan Kent, you don't immediately recognise their impact until you analyse passages of play and the skills they display in transitions.

Turning defence swiftly in to attack is something we have really improved on this season and I looooooooove it.

NS.

He looks shot of confidence and could be mentally tired as he has played pretty much every game for the last 4 years.

In two minds wether he should be rested or not as we have a tough run of fixtures coming up but Flannigan hasn't let us down whenever he's come in.

He looks shot of confidence and could be mentally tired as he has played pretty much every game for the last 4 years.

In two minds wether he should be rested or not as we have a tough run of fixtures coming up but Flannigan hasn't let us down whenever he's come in.

Flanagan is recovering from a hernia op mate, plus Tav is already sitting on 8 assists and a good few goals for the season, so he's doing just fine.

It's a total myth he's struggling this season.

He's not involved in any international squads either, so he's currently getting a couple of weeks break from playing.

Of the dozen or so boys that sit around me in MRB we all struggle to be fans of him, against SPFL fodder he plays his part, in the big games though he has let us down with individual errors.

Go onto any opposition teams forum before a game and the discussion is usually around stopping Tav. Fans of other teams know his qualities and yet some of our own don’t and I can only think it’s due to a sort of complacency now where we just expect him to be getting assists etc in every game.

Go onto any opposition teams forum before a game and the discussion is usually around stopping Tav. Fans of other teams know his qualities and yet some of our own don’t and I can only think it’s due to a sort of complacency now where we just expect him to be getting assists etc in every game.

Aye but he made a mistake against Hibs and let Stokes score 3 years ago...

Aye but he made a mistake against Hibs and let Stokes score 3 years ago...
Guy behind me on Sunday was screaming ‘you’re a full back Tav not a striker get fucking back’. Honestly wonder about the IQ of some folk.

He was good yesterday. Some cracking backpost deliveries that we should have had folk in attacking.
We’ve not had anyone coming in at the back post for Tav’s crosses since Kenny Miller left. Does my head in.
At times, if we have anyone beyond the penalty spot, it would be unusual.

He gets left too isolated on the right hand side for me, we often have 5/6 players out on the left then only Tav and maybe Stewart/Arfield on the right. It would explain why he crosses from so deep a lot.

Because he is heavily marked. If he is isolated with 2-3 opposition players, it allows the rest of our attacking players room to play.

I think Tav and Arfield in particular haven't quite hit the crazy heights and consistency they did last season,having set the bar ridiculously high-leading to some 'fans' to go way,way over the top in their criticism of both.

I'll always be willing to criticise in what is hopefully a constructive manner,as I think that's reasonable-

But some of the shite spouted is just bang out of order.

If he couldn’t keep his head up and bounce back against Hamilton at home I’d seriously concerned with him having the armband.

He's the single most important player in our team. His influence in driving the side forward is essential to our style of play. It's amazing that some want to drop him for Flanagan. Our attacking play would shrivel up and die if the right back wasn't capable of bombing forward, beating men, and putting in good crosses.

We’ll need to disagree then, but I have to add, even is he was the best full back in the league, it doesn’t mean he’s good enough for Rangers.

OK but I think you need a bit of a reality check tbh.

We can't go out and sign Kyle Walker or Dani Alves you know.

Tav has been quiet and had a few off days.

If that's him at his worst, he will be vital when at his best.

Back