Met Jim Goodwin

Do you wear gloves to dispense fuel?

• Yes, I’m like Jim Goodwin

Votes: 77 21.4%
  • No, I’m not a peanut vendor

Votes: 283 78.6%

• Total voters
I'll usually take a couple of the staunch blue paper towels to hold the pump with.

There's a garage on the way out of Dundee heading up to Aberdeen I just completely avoid as their pumps are a disgrace. Just absolutely covered in diesel and very rarely stocked with gloves or paper towels.

If you want a luxury petrol station experience, the newly refurbished BP in Ladybank is simply exquisite. The pumps are absolutely immaculate, you almost feel like putting on a glove so that you don't get them dirty.

Once inside the range of food and drink is absolutely marvelous. It's the sort of place someone like Jim Goodwin would give a plastic gloved thumbs up to.

Having some knowledge, I wouldn't be letting petrol/diesel touch my skin if it could be helped. Very nasty stuff that can be ingested by the body through the skin, best case you get dermatitis.
I'm in the glove club.

I'll usually take a couple of the staunch blue paper towels to hold the pump with.

There's a garage on the way out of Dundee heading up to Aberdeen I just completely avoid as their pumps are a disgrace. Just absolutely covered in diesel and very rarely stocked with gloves or paper towels.

If you want a luxury petrol station experience, the newly refurbished BP in Ladybank is simply exquisite. The pumps are absolutely immaculate, you almost feel like putting on a glove so that you don't get them dirty.

Once inside the range of food and drink is absolutely marvelous. It's the sort of place someone like Jim Goodwin would give a plastic gloved thumbs up to.
Partridge would f.ucking love the Ladybank one! Alan would be a regular.

Partridge would f.ucking love the Ladybank one! Alan would be a regular.

He would indeed although he might be a bit miffed that it doesn't have a Wild Bean Cafe which he describes in his book as "quite literally SHIT HOT"

Last edited:
You learn something new everyday.
45 years I've been filling up cars and this is the first time I've heard of anyone using a glove to fill up.
Were you in San Francisco at the shell garage in the Castro district by any chance?

Noticed when I changed from petrol to a diesel car the diesel pump and handle was always really greasy.

Wore the gloves a few times but felt like a complete dick :oops: :D

The diesel pumps where I go feel nothing like dicks... I think someone is winding you up mate. Do they tell you to 'pump' the handle as well?

Less than two hours ago. ASDA petrol station, Robroyston.

Said to Accie Junior as we pulled up “that’s the St Mirren manager”. The lad’s easily impressed, so he was straight out the car saying hello and asking him questions. Jim took it in good humour, to be fair. When my lad said he trained with Clyde, Jim said so did his son.

But here’s the weird thing. He was wearing one of those disposable see-through plastic gloves to dispense his fuel. Who does that? I suppose the kind of guy who keeps his beard as neat as he does...

I use them to fill the wife’s car with diesel, but not for unleaded in my own car.

What the %^*& is going on in this thread? :)) Gloves to fill up your car? I’ve filled up my car for years now, and never noticed anyone wearing gloves to do so. Where do you get these gloves from? Are they just kicking about somewhere at the petrol station?

Not sure how you manage to get petrol or diesel on your hands anyway!

Going by the results so far, can I ask how many of the "glove brigade" use marigolds when they're doing the dishes, or whenever else takes their fancy?
Next it'll be "aye, I use a glove when I'm using the TV remote. You don't know where that's been" :D

Keep a packet of disposable gloves in the door pocket in case there are none. A worthwhile investment of a £1

Are you mad mate...just grab a handfull from the garage dispenser (usually the bin) and stick a pile in your rear door card for when they've run out. A worthwhile investment for free.

This post was brought to you in the style of Alan Partridge

I read somewhere their are more germs on the handles of your average fuel pump than their is most toilets. So yip I’m with Jim I use the gloves. Think about the number of folk who are handling these things on a daily basis the germs on it must be horrendous.
Diesel would kill germs off surely

The two petrol stations near me the staff fill your car, so I don’t need to worry about gloves.

If I had to do it though, I still wouldn’t wear gloves.

Less than two hours ago. ASDA petrol station, Robroyston.

Said to Accie Junior as we pulled up “that’s the St Mirren manager”. The lad’s easily impressed, so he was straight out the car saying hello and asking him questions. Jim took it in good humour, to be fair. When my lad said he trained with Clyde, Jim said so did his son.

But here’s the weird thing. He was wearing one of those disposable see-through plastic gloves to dispense his fuel. Who does that? I suppose the kind of guy who keeps his beard as neat as he does...

Wear the gloves and your hand/hands will be free from dermatitis and finger hacks. Don't wear them you'll be plagued with skin problems.

Your choice.

Having some knowledge, I wouldn't be letting petrol/diesel touch my skin if it could be helped. Very nasty stuff that can be ingested by the body through the skin, best case you get dermatitis.
I'm in the glove club.

That’s all well and good but how the fu.ck are folk managing to spray diesel on themselves in the first place.

I’ve had a diesel nearly ten years and haven’t spilt one drop on myself. Lift the nozzle, put in wee hole, fill up, shake off, gently lift out and put back in holder. No problem.

It’s your wives I really feel sorry for.

Fast forward to Rotterdam "hawd on Mr Feyenoord hooligan, don't hit me until I put on my petrol station glove. I don't want any germs" :D

That’s all well and good but how the fu.ck are folk managing to spray diesel on themselves in the first place.

I’ve had a diesel nearly ten years and haven’t spilt one drop on myself. Lift the nozzle, put in wee hole, fill up, shake off, gently lift out and put back in holder. No problem.

It’s your wives I really feel sorry for.
This!

Lad on our RSC bus has a pair of gloves for when going to the bus lavvy ...........

He was at my cousin's wedding. I'm still not sure how they actually know each other and this has just reminded me that ive never asked.

Back