'Racism spotters to be planted in crowds at football matches'

baystatebear

I came upon a recent article in the Daily Mail's sports section, stating that 'Racism spotters' were to be planted in the crowds at the upcoming England fixtures with the Czech Republic and Bulgaria

It seems that representatives from 'The Fare' network (previously known as Football Against Racism in Europe), will be placed in the stands in order to quickly detect any acts of racism. These 'Spotters' will be provided with a hotline to a main observer who will be in direct contact with the formal UEFA delegate, who presumably, will recommend appropriate sanctions on the 'guilty' party(s).

Whilst I oppose the racist barracking of black players, I find there is something creepy about inserting anonymous individuals whose task it is to reporting to other anonymous individuals about behaviour they deem to be offensive. Why are so-called 'spotters' needed? If, for e.g., a black player who hasn't been involved in any on-field controversy during the course of a game, is suddenly, without provocation, subjected to widespread, orchestrated abuse, then it can logically be inferred that the abuse directed at him is 'racist' in intent, we surely don't need teams of 'spotters' to tell that this is the case.

How long can it be before demands are made to insert 'Spotters' in Ibrox, each of whom will be armed and ready to dial in to the SFA's appointed delegate, reporting on widespread incidents of 'vicious anti- Irish Catholic' racism, all manner of bigotry, real or imagined, directed by Rangers supporters at opposing players and fans - with of course, sanctions to follow.

The idiotic idea described in the DM article, is I fear, the thin end of a large wedge that will eventually change the entire experience of going to a football match - and not for the better.

It's already being done in terms of reporting racist chanting, etc by people out with the stadium or on TV, this just sounds like a gimmick or an attempt to increase FAREs influence.

Putting it on personal spotters increases the risk of the process skewing due to their personal prejudices.

Also seems a pretty risky process that no Police Match Commander would sign off on for fear of the public disorder it may cause.

But it is great to read so much unquestioning acceptance from the spineless element in our society in this thread.

Folk saying this is absolutely excellent. Just wait till it happens here and the dictation of offensive behaviour is used.

Not for a minute am I saying that racism shouldn't be tackled, however if this is the start of their plans. Our club and others up n down the country will be in bother every week.

I have no issue with racism being tackled. It may manifest itself at football matches but it is prevalent in all facets of society.

I have an issue with unaccountable representatives documenting annonymous incidents not handled by the proper authority.

FARE receive funding I suspect to monitor racism. It is obviously in their own interests to find it.

I think this article is a tad moot. They already fire supporters in after the game. St Joseph's game for us as an example. Anyway, has tried to get a phonesignal inside a stadium. :)):))

The only people who will be affected by this are racists, so unless you are one of them what's the problem?
That attitude is exactly why the dystopian ideas in Orwells 1984 are becoming a very real threat. No doubt you'd love the social credit system Chinas implementing so you could see how trustworthy anyone was. How do you like the idea of the SNP shutting down where you travel to or what hotels you stay in because you've belted out Derrys Walls? It'll never happens says you.

I wonder when they’ll pick up on the Anti British racism that is very audible at the theatre of shame most weeks including European games

“ Get the Brits out now “ drumbeat and chant is aired by Separate Entity fans frequently but ignored by our media

Just imagine it was a “ Get the Irish out now “ chant by the Rangers support and the headlines it would generate

There would be questions raised in parliament about it

The only people who will be affected by this are racists, so unless you are one of them what's the problem?

The problem is it's only going to take one idiot in a crowd of 50,000 at Ibrox calling Scott Brown a 19th Century Terrorist bastard for a two footed tackle on Alfie for us to be hammered for racism / sectarianism.

Meanwhile over at the Beggarbowl, tumbleweed.

If an individual is being racist, they should be dealt with by the police.

The idea that a club or football association can be held liable for the behaviour of one or two supporters is complete and utter bullshit. It’s nothing more than virtue signalling from UEFA, trying to make it look like they’re tackling an issue that is pretty much non-existent in the UK on a comparison of scale.

I came upon a recent article in the Daily Mail's sports section, stating that 'Racism spotters' were to be planted in the crowds at the upcoming England fixtures with the Czech Republic and Bulgaria

It seems that representatives from 'The Fare' network (previously known as Football Against Racism in Europe), will be placed in the stands in order to quickly detect any acts of racism. These 'Spotters' will be provided with a hotline to a main observer who will be in direct contact with the formal UEFA delegate, who presumably, will recommend appropriate sanctions on the 'guilty' party(s).

Whilst I oppose the racist barracking of black players, I find there is something creepy about inserting anonymous individuals whose task it is to reporting to other anonymous individuals about behaviour they deem to be offensive. Why are so-called 'spotters' needed? If, for e.g., a black player who hasn't been involved in any on-field controversy during the course of a game, is suddenly, without provocation, subjected to widespread, orchestrated abuse, then it can logically be inferred that the abuse directed at him is 'racist' in intent, we surely don't need teams of 'spotters' to tell that this is the case.

How long can it be before demands are made to insert 'Spotters' in Ibrox, each of whom will be armed and ready to dial in to the SFA's appointed delegate, reporting on widespread incidents of 'vicious anti- Irish Catholic' racism, all manner of bigotry, real or imagined, directed by Rangers supporters at opposing players and fans - with of course, sanctions to follow.

The idiotic idea described in the DM article, is I fear, the thin end of a large wedge that will eventually change the entire experience of going to a football match - and not for the better.
Welcome to 1984.What next will you have to grass on your friends and family.The vast majority of normal thinking people are not racist.

The problem with all these think tank tank groups combating racism and sectarianism is that they have already made up their minds who are guilty without trial and will concentrate solely on these guilty parties until they get the flimsiest of evidence to run screaming to the authorities.

I think some need to remind themselves of UEFA (and FIFAs) definition of ‘racism’. Cast your mind back - not too far actually - to any of UEFAs recent charges against our own club. The charges were ‘racist behaviour (sectarian singing)’. Ludicrous that singing about the UVF or 19th Century Terrorists can be deemed ‘racist’ but there you go.

Yes, most of us want to see ‘real’ racist behaviour eliminated from football. Many would also like to see all forms of bigotry eliminated from football, but it is UEFAs conflating of two entirely different offences that represents the problem here. Neither may be desirable but they are not a single offence in the way that UEFA seem to see it.

If an individual is being racist, they should be dealt with by the police.

The idea that a club or football association can be held liable for the behaviour of one or two supporters is complete and utter bullshit. It’s nothing more than virtue signalling from UEFA, trying to make it look like they’re tackling an issue that is pretty much non-existent in the UK on a comparison of scale.

Correct. The club cannot be held accountable for the actions of individuals. It could be some bampot who's trundled up from down south, got pished and decided to spout a barrowload of abuse. How can we honestly be expected to screen everyone that comes to the ground, to be responsible for whatever personal problems they may have that could cause them to act out of character at any given moment?

It's a complete nonsense and we all know that if it's applied by individual FA's, we will be the primary, possibly sole target in Scotland.

I suspect that England is the guinea pig here. If it is FARE behind this, they'll be using them to test the waters to see how all this can be implemented with regards to bringing offenders to justice and sanctions to clubs.
if it is deemed a success without infringing basic civil liberties, then they will be heading due North from Wembley stadium to a parish very near us with only one football club in mind.
I suspect Lawell has his paw prints all over this.

I think you have missed the point here. There is something quite Orwellian about this- why don't we just go the whole hog and have monitors installed in our homes and cars to police offensive speech? Who decides what is offensive though?
I don’t think that’s the point at all. It’s already been decided what is classed as racism by UEFA. It isn’t FARE who decide sanctions.

I have no issue with racism being tackled. It may manifest itself at football matches but it is prevalent in all facets of society.

I have an issue with unaccountable representatives documenting annonymous incidents not handled by the proper authority.

FARE receive funding I suspect to monitor racism. It is obviously in their own interests to find it.

Well said. I can say that I personally have not experienced any racist behaviour at Ibrox in at least 20 years . I have heard language that some may find offensive but the whole idea behind this imo is not about stopping racism per se but rather using this as a Trojan horse to stop people saying anything that might be deemed offensive and by design ultimately silencing people's right to have alternative view points in wider society.

I don’t think that’s the point at all. It’s already been decided what is classed as racism by UEFA. It isn’t FARE who decide sanctions.

Agree to disagree then. I think it's naive to think that these spotters will not jump on any little thing to justify their existence. To me the concept has echoes of Nazi/Soviet regimes of the 20 century and China in the 21st century.

Of course racism has no place in society but since when did a facist pressure group like Fare become an arbitrator of what’s racist and what’s not.When i go to the game i don’t want some goon checking to see if i’ve said something they find offensive especially that mob

Policing at football should be done by the Police or Stewards and not by 'anonymous figures'.

Racism should absolutely be tackled though, but by the proper authorities and with evidence. Clubs being held to account are the obvious divide and conquer tactics.

Racist chanting - minimal punishment - nobody intervenes.

Racist chanting - punishment of closing a stand/area - Passive people up in arms, report to Police etc.

Could be wrong of course, but to me that's the way it is designed it seems.

This is only problematic when things like 'enforcing immigration law' are viewed as racist. Everything bar prostrate worship at feet of colour is racism to some degree to some people. It's the same for sectarianism. The parameters of transgression are too vague (often what is 'socially' contentious rather than an illegal action).

I would have no problem with this but FARE, who are openly racist themselves, are not the correct party to carry this out.

That’s my issue with it, as well.

FARE are bigots themselves. Their blind spot to all things anti British racist and their insistence on microscopically seeking anti Irish racism proves them to be unsuited to the task.

That said, anything that roots out genuine racism is to be supported wholeheartedly.

I believe the only real way to tackle it is to have your name on your ticket and ID as you go through the gate, and have cctv cover all sections of the crowd, then if an incident is reported they can ID the culprit and deal with the individual. The punishment of clubs should only be if they don’t have adequate equipment to pick out individuals, therefore not doing enough to deter bad behaviour.
That said, god help anyone visiting Spurs with a bad lisp!!

That’s my issue with it, as well.

FARE are bigots themselves. Their blind spot to all things anti British racist and their insistence on microscopically seeking anti Irish racism proves them to be unsuited to the task.

That said, anything that roots out genuine racism is to be supported wholeheartedly.

Of course FARE have a blind spot. I mean, the owners wife was spotted on video at a football match shouting “get the Brits out now”. Must be a huge blind spot.

Back