Laudrup v Cooper

Who was better Laudrup or Cooper?

• Total voters

DamBuster72

A distraction from the boredom of International week and Takeover Panel nonsense.

Wee bit of fun for older bears who had the pleasure of seeing both...

Who was better and why?

Poll attached

Laudrup was perhaps the most complete player we’ve ever had.

However, Davie Cooper is an absolute club legend. The service he gave us is astonishing. And that left peg. A
Magician.

However, I voted for Laudrup as despite Cooper’s magical left boot, I just think that Laudrup was the more complete player.

I’m just so honoured that I got to watch all of both their Rangers careers. Both will be spoken of with reverence for as long as people who saw them are still breathing.

Very hard one for me to decide, Cooper was my first favourite player but I voted for Laudrup as he probably influenced games on a more consistent level than Cooper

Had the pleasure of seeing both.
Both world class on their day.
Both legends.
Laudrup wins this hands down.

I hate the question was Davie Cooper better Than whoever. Davie Cooper was a beautiful footballer and he shone like a light in many great rangers teams. A great man , great ranger , genius footballer. and played for the team he loved. I am blessed to have watched Davie Cooper play Football.

I hate the question was Davie Cooper better Than whoever. Davie Cooper was a beautiful footballer and he shone like a light in many great rangers teams. A great man , great ranger , genius footballer. and played for the team he loved. I am blessed to have watched Davie Cooper play Football.

Just a wee bit of fun. We're all pals here.

Never saw Cooper, but of the people I know who saw both, I don't know anyone who thinks Cooper was better.

I also don't know anyone who thought Cooper was better than Henderson either, if they'd seen both play at their peak.

No slight on Davie though, as he was an incredible player, with an absolute wand of a left foot.

It's just that the other 2 were absolutely top drawer.

I've seen both,laudrup was the better player and it's not even remotely close.

That is not being disrespectful to the memory of the great that is Davie Cooper but for me laudrup is the best player I have seen in a rangers shirt.

Cooper is a greater Ranger for the length of service as well as what he did on the park but laudrup was better.

Cooper will always be my favourite player, carried a bang average Rangers side for years until Souness arrived, before that he was a diamond in a hill of coal , he was a joy to watch and a true Ranger in every sense.

I’d have said all of that then added, “but Laudrup was better.”

Because he was. It’s not really up for debate if we’re being perfectly honest.

A distraction from the boredom of International week and Takeover Panel nonsense.

Who was better and why?

Poll attached
I saw more of Cooper and due to not being able to make it to games during the Laudrup years, I have to say David
Just will never forget the cup final replay on a Wednesday night against Dundee United, must have been 1980 or 81, what I do know is that we won 4-1 and I have never seen a one man demolition of a team like Davie did that night, he was just imperious, totally sublime and will never forget walking home after the game and the whole sky lighting up with electric blue lightning, god was celebrating I am certain.
Probably Laudrup was better but to have witnessed Cooper in the flesh I can't not vote for him.
The man was a football god.
And he ran away from reporters, and that was before they were all typwriting Tim's.
David Cooper, thank you and rest in peace
KB

I saw more of Cooper and due to not being able to make it to games during the Laudrup years, I have to say David
Just will never forget the cup final replay on a Wednesday night against Dundee United, must have been 1980 or 81, what I do know is that we won 4-1 and I have never seen a one man demolition of a team like Davie did that night, he was just imperious, totally sublime and will never forget walking home after the game and the whole sky lighting up with electric blue lightning, god was celebrating I am certain.
Probably Laudrup was better but to have witnessed Cooper in the flesh I can't not vote for him.
The man was a football god.
And he ran away from reporters, and that was before they were all typwriting Tim's.
David Cooper, thank you and rest in peace
KB

Cracking post mate

Different eras, different training techniques, different outlook on nutrition etc so for me its impossible to compare them.
Cooper on his game was unplayable and maybe didnt have the players around him to take pressure off in games or help him play.
Laudrup was a more all round player, can't think of Cooper with a headed goal, and Laudrup played in a vastly better squad.
At their time at Rangers id say they were the best players in Scotland.
Different times but the same class and genius

Cooper will always be my favourite player, carried a bang average Rangers side for years until Souness arrived, before that he was a diamond in a hill of coal , he was a joy to watch and a true Ranger in every sense.
Voted Laudrup but appreciate your sentiments. I watched numerous poor teams carried by Cooper. But jeez he could be frustrating too.

One of us though and loving teasing timothy

Laudrup had everything in his locker from mazy runs to goals out of nothing so by right he should win hands down mainly due to his consistency.

Cooper like Laudrup had everything in his locker but played in a less successful team but anyone who gets praise from a great such as Ruud Gullit must be doing something right.

I will just give my vote to coop on sentimental grounds alone because he was a bear and for that pass to Durrant and the free kick v the sheep.

Another player you could throw into the mix would be Mark Walters.

when cooper shone he was world class but he didn't do it consistently,i think we get a bit misty eyed concerning cooper but he sure left us with fantastic memories of his unique skills,as soon as mark walters came to Ibrox it was over for coop but him and bobby russell had a fine swan song at motherwell.didnt vote

I'd missed Cooper by the time I was old enough. He was my old man's hero but he says Laudrup edges it.

Laudrup became my absolute idol at the age of 11/12 and probably will be for the rest of my life. About 10 years ago my missus had to prevent me from getting his name and number tattooed full size on my back. I now concur it wouldn't have been a great look.

I first saw Davie play for Clydebank as I grew up in Yoker and if the Gers were away and the Bankies were at home I would go and watch them. He was a standout for Clydebank and I was delighted when the Rangers signed him. He played in a good Rangers team at first, then a poorer one but really shone when Souness arrived. When he was really in the mood he was virtually unplayable.
Brian is without doubt the best player I've seen in a Rangers jersey. I would say he played in a better Rangers team than Coop ever did but it was his consistency that swung it for me. Davie, on his day was as skilful as Laudrup but the great Dane produced the goods on a more regular basis.
Heart says Cooper, head says Laudrup.

Laudrup,, by a good bit.
For many seasons you never knew what Coop would turn up, the one that tore teams apart or the one that was almost invisible. Laudrup was consistently brilliant.

Voted Laudrup just because he was a constant threat. Absolutely nothing against Coop who will always be a legend but he could blow hot and cold sometimes. Just wish we could've signed Laudrup earlier than we did.

That was a hard decision, nice thread OP. Eventually decided on Laudrup as he could pretty much play anywhere up front. Cooper was restricted to the left wing but his left foot was a magic wand and his dribbling I would say better than Laudrups.

I chose Brian Laudrup because he was quite simply outstanding.

Davie Cooper had the misfortune of playing in a relatively weak Rangers team when the game up here was beginning to be ruined by the physical side. He was an old-fashioned sort of player and would undoubtedly have achieved much more back in the 50s or 60s.

I chose Brian Laudrup because he was quite simply outstanding.

Davie Cooper had the misfortune of playing in a relatively weak Rangers team when the game up here was beginning to be ruined by the physical side. He was an old-fashioned sort of player and would undoubtedly have achieved much more back in the 50s or 60s.
3 league titles , 4 Scottish cups , 7 league cups and awarded in the Scottish hall of fame. Not bad for an old fashioned player who would be good in the 50s? Whit?

I had much 'man love' for Coop, being a Hamilton boy myself, playing for Avondale Amateurs, even my bro delivering his family's newspapers and drooling at his skills but he wasn't at the level Brian Laudrup was.

Laudrup was imho the best player we've had apart from Jimmy Baxter in my 60 years on this earth, yes even better than Gazza and a good few other tremendous talents I have had the good fortune to see.

WATP

Who was better and why?

Poll attached

Loved Davie Cooper. One of my earliest memories of supporting the bears is a Cooper performance against Hibs at Ibrox and when we got up the road getting my ball and right out into the garden pretending to be the moody blue and practasing the things i saw him do with a ball at his feet.

However Laudrup is head and shoulders above any other Rangers player i've ever seen in my opinion.

I was too young to see Cooper live unfortunately although I've seen all the tapes. On consistency alone though I would suspect the answer would be Laudrup.

I do always wonder how Alan Morton would hold up in these debates. For understandable reasons he's sometimes ignored when most fans talk about our top tier legends like Baxter, Laudrup, Cooper etc but by all accounts he was supposed to have been that good.

I was too young to see Cooper live unfortunately although I've seen all the tapes. On consistency alone though I would suspect the answer would be Laudrup.

I do always wonder how Alan Morton would hold up in these debates. For understandable reasons he's sometimes ignored when most fans talk about our top tier legends like Baxter, Laudrup, Cooper etc but by all accounts he was supposed to have been that good.
My Grandfather would laugh when I said Laudrup was the best ever Rangers player, usually followed by You never saw Morton so you don't know what you're talking about

Another player you could throw into the mix would be Mark Walters.

Not a crazy thought, by any stretch of the imagination.

Walters was a wonderful player for us. We all knew the wee stepover was coming but defenders just couldn’t seem to cope with it. He also swung over a lovely cross.

He never gets the credit he deserves, I suspect because his career was sandwiched between Cooper and Laudrup.

Back