Why is Gilmour not in the Scotland squad?

WinkieWATP

Not the biggest Scotland fan in the world however i've a question regards the national side.

Keep reading and hearing the press this young lad is getting and how good he is and is going to be. He is now 18 years old so why is he not in the squad now to build the team around him going forward?

Personally wouldn’t throw the laddie into that pile of shite.
Would ruin him

Not saying throw him in. I was talking to an uncle whos nephew is playing with England tonight during the week and he told me Gilmour id the best boy he has ever seen.

So even have him in training etc so that when his time comes he is ready?

Not the biggest Scotland fan in the world however i've a question regards the national side.

Keep reading and hearing the press this young lad is getting and how good he is and is going to be. He is now 18 years old so why is he not in the squad now to build the team around him going forward?

hes only started getting first team minutes,he needs to gain experience before building a team around him.

Not saying throw him in. I was talking to an uncle whos nephew is playing with England tonight during the week and he told me Gilmour id the best boy he has ever seen.

So even have him in training etc so that when his time comes he is ready?
I’d imagine the lad your talking about still has plenty first team experience. Something Gilmore hasn’t a lot of as yet .
I reckon in due course he could well be a Scotland mainstay but the national squad is a car crash at the moment and I’d shelter him from that

I'd definitely take him and build a team around him

Why drag ourselves through constant mediocre shite in the midfield (let's face it they are despite it being our strongest position) for another few years.

McGinn and gilmour should be the fulcrum of that side, find out what works best around that

Did he impress in the U21 game during the week?? Only seen about 40 minutes and tbh nobody stood out for me.

If he isn't bossing games at that level then he shouldn't be anywhere near the full squad.

Did he impress in the U21 game during the week?? Only seen about 40 minutes and tbh nobody stood out for me.

If he isn't bossing games at that level then he shouldn't be anywhere near the full squad.
I saw the second half and he didn't impress me to be honest, Glenn Middleton was probably the best Scotland player, I also thought the CB who played alongside Porteous did well, sorry I forget his name

I saw the second half and he didn't impress me to be honest, Glenn Middleton was probably the best Scotland player, I also thought the CB who played alongside Porteous did well, sorry I forget his name

Middleton is still one of the country's top prospects, IMO. He's fantastic for his age and could easily turn out better than someone like Forrest who is touted as a 15 million pound player.

There are zero benefits to be gained from putting Gilmour into the current Scotland side.

He can't play because our football culture is all wrong. We're scared to blood youngsters in case they are slaughtered, because we prefer to crucify every mistake ahead of creative play. We'd rather subject our talented young players to a useless dinosaur of a coach in Scott Gemmill, just to get them on message

Probably because we are experiencing one of the single worst managers an International team has ever seen. However, one that ticks so many SFA boxes it's unreal. The SFA's sole project is to see Scottish football fail. Why pick and play our best players with that agenda?

Scotland as a national side are a fucking laughing stock. Clarke can change whatever he wants but it's a fucking shit show. That's the facts.

Nowhere near it yet let him develop first

To be fair to Billy Gilmour he was the youngest boy on the pitch, it was u21 and I think Billy is still only 18 so plenty of time for him, he is an exceptional talent and Scott Gemmill"style of football is pretty poor, I have been watching his Scotland teams for several years and he only has one tac!tic, lump the ball up to the big striker, whoever that striker is, Fraser Hornby, Connor McLennan, Oliver Burke.

Possibly exploring options to play for England?

Born, grew up and developed in Scotland but that doesn’t mean he’ll automatically play for them if he has other options.

He can't play because our football culture is all wrong. We're scared to blood youngsters in case they are slaughtered, because we prefer to crucify every mistake ahead of creative play. We'd rather subject our talented young players to a useless dinosaur of a coach in Scott Gemmill, just to get them on message

This QF is gone unless they somehow make it through the NL playoffs.

the last young Scottish player I can remember this kind of fuss about made his debut last night:oops:

I'm not saying he's bad, I'm saying if he can't seize a game by the scruff of the neck at that level, then playing him in Russia might not be a great idea.
You've based it entirely on one game though.
Playing him in Russia may not be ideal but there's no reason he couldn't be in the squad with a view to seeing some game time on sunday at home to San Marino.

The fact Charlie Mulgrew will start that game says it all about the Scotland set up.

You've based it entirely on one game though.
Playing him in Russia may not be ideal but there's no reason he couldn't be in the squad with a view to seeing some game time on sunday at home to San Marino.

The fact Charlie Mulgrew will start that game says it all about the Scotland set up.
Or he could stay in the u21 squad, where we have a chance of qualifying and play at a more appropriate level, get 90 mins, and learn all the wee tricks that foreign players have. If there's an u21 centre half we can call in to replace mulgrew, I'll take him though.

Two Rangers blooded young, Derek Johnstone and Derek Parlane.
How old were they when they were first capped?

Or he could stay in the u21 squad, where we have a chance of qualifying and play at a more appropriate level, get 90 mins, and learn all the wee tricks that foreign players have. If there's an u21 centre half we can call in to replace mulgrew, I'll take him though.
I'm more of the belief that players should play, regardless of their age.
He's not going to pick up any more playing against Lithuania U21s than he would day to day at Chelsea where he'd be surrounded by players from all over the planet.
In saying that, I'll be happy for Scotland to continue on the road of missing major tournaments.

It’s important to give players who are developing the time and space to make the mistakes they’ll inevitably make.

Pitching an 18yo into a Scotland squad this is falling off a cliff is much more likely to be detrimental rather than positive for his development.

Hopefully, like me, he has English blood and ultimately chooses the right country.
A wonderful talent of that there is no doubt.

If he has any sense he'd be digging out the family birth certificates and looking for an Irish grandparent

He played at the U21 Toulon tournament last summer (whilst only 16) and won the award for “Revelation of the tournament”
And he played last night and wasn't even the revelation of the first half. He's not ready for international football and we have players in that position who are actually playing in the premiership at a relatively young age - mctominay and mcginn. And you just need to look at the pelters mctominay gets on here for not being Pele to see the pressure gilmour would be put under. There was the same hype around fleck then as gilmour now and it's taken fleck to age 31 to get his first cap. If Gilmour emerges as a Chelsea player this year or more likely a loan star next year, then he comes into consideration. Where's Josh mceachran these days, Chelsea's last great midfield youth talent?

I watched the game the other night.
I thought young Gilmour was outstanding.
However, I saw that he was playing a game of football in small areas that his own teammates weren't good enough to reciprocate.
Overall, Scotland had a fine first half, followed by a more mediocre second half against a team who set themselves up like an SPL side playing Rangers.

Gilmour was the best player on the park by a country mile.
Although I was pleased to see the young Gers also do well.

Anyone who failed to see why Gilmour was the best player on the park needs to watch more football.

Back