The first Rangers player to score a league hat trick v Celtic in the 20th Century

dh1963

Born 100 years ago today in Glasgow was Jimmy Duncanson.
Maybe not one of our most famous names, but his record in the blue jersey deserves remembering.

An inside forward, he scored twice in his debut, a 4-0 win over Queens Park in the wartime Southern League.
Scored in the famous 8-1 win over Celtic in January 1943.
Is the 3rd highest scorer in history for Rangers against Celtic if you include all competitions with 22 goals. Only legends RC Hamilton and Ally McCoist scored more.
The first Rangers player of the 20th Century to score a league hat trick against Celtic, in a 4-0 home win on New Years Day 1949 in front of 95000 supporters.
Overall, he scored 149 goals for Rangers in 320 appearances between 1940 and 1950.
As well as numerous wartime and "minor" honours, he won 2 League championships, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 League Cups.
Scored twice in the first ever Scottish League Cup final.

A regular at Ibrox as a fan after his playing career right up until his passing in 1996.
And he went to the same school as my old dad, John Street Secondary in Bridgeton!

A century since his birth, but his achievements are timeless.

Jimmy Duncanson was a pleasure to watch, strutting his stuff. 100% Ranger who always gave 100%.

The only reason his name isn't mentioned more often is simply because he was surrounded by Rangers Legends.

An iconic team that tripped off the tongue.

Brown, Young Shaw
McColl, Woodburn and Cox
Waddell, Gillick, Thornton, Duncanson and Caskie.

Only it didn't play together that often.

Brown, Young Shaw
McColl, Woodburn and Cox

True in many respects, but those players were the first picks when they were fit and available.

My late father was at the 8-1 game against that lot. He regaled me with many tales of our games and players from the past. That is why I have been fascinated by our illustrious history since I was a wee boy brought up in Westmuir Street of all places! My dad spoke of Jimmy Duncanson often.

That was a bit too close for comfort mate. I thought I was bad in Barlanark :D

Brown, Young Shaw
McColl, Woodburn and Cox

Must have been the forward line that prevented it, the goalkeeper and Iron Curtain defence played together a great many times.

That was a bit too close for comfort mate. I thought I was bad in Barlanark :D
Yeah, close shave, made me even more staunch! Moved up to EK on 4th October 1963 when aged 8, smell from the local piggery became unbearable! :) When Anyone asks"Whereabouts" in Glasgow do you come from Marvin? I say Parkhead, followed immediately by " but I am a staunch Rangers man" Reactions are Varied! :))

Yeah, close shave, made me even more staunch! Moved up to EK on 4th October 1963 when aged 8, smell from the local piggery became unbearable! :) When Anyone asks"Whereabouts" in Glasgow do you come from Marvin? I say Parkhead, followed immediately by " but I am a staunch Rangers man" Reactions are Varied! :))

Funny.

My big mate went to the primary just off Westmuir St. Forget the name noo

Hi Grigo, I went to Parkhead primary, which was directly across the road from my luxury villa.:D Then when it shut, probably cos it was bogging, I went to Quarry Brae on Crail Street, then became a snob and moved to EK:rolleyes:

That’s it Marvin. Quarrybrae Primary. My best mate as a boy went there before we both moved to the same secondary.

I never got the chance to be a snob right enough :D:D

Born 100 years ago today in Glasgow was Jimmy Duncanson.
Maybe not one of our most famous names, but his record in the blue jersey deserves remembering.

An inside forward, he scored twice in his debut, a 4-0 win over Queens Park in the wartime Southern League.
Scored in the famous 8-1 win over Celtic in January 1943.
Is the 3rd highest scorer in history for Rangers against Celtic if you include all competitions with 22 goals. Only legends RC Hamilton and Ally McCoist scored more.
The first Rangers player of the 20th Century to score a league hat trick against Celtic, in a 4-0 home win on New Years Day 1949 in front of 95000 supporters.
Overall, he scored 149 goals for Rangers in 320 appearances between 1940 and 1950.
As well as numerous wartime and "minor" honours, he won 2 League championships, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 League Cups.
Scored twice in the first ever Scottish League Cup final.

A regular at Ibrox as a fan after his playing career right up until his passing in 1996.
And he went to the same school as my old dad, John Street Secondary in Bridgeton!

A century since his birth, but his achievements are timeless.
My dad who is still going to the games with me at 76 went to the same school, I’ll ask him again but I’m sure he said that a couple of the Aberdeen players of the 80’s went there also, maybe McLeish and Miller.

My dad who is still going to the games with me at 76 went to the same school, I’ll ask him again but I’m sure he said that a couple of the Aberdeen players of the 80’s went there also, maybe McLeish and Miller.

I think Willie Miller did, I remember my dad telling folk that.

Back