When radio was king.

Ronnietheranger

The recent thread on David Francey’s 1976 Scottish Cup Final radio commentary brought back to mind the days when radio used to be THE source for us football fans who couldn’t get to a game for one reason or another. Back in the pre-internet, pre-cell phone days when even television coverage was about 20 minutes of highlights, radio was a lifeline to live commentary. Personally I can only go back to the late sixties as far as my memories of listening intently to the ‘radiogram’ (google it!) go, but I’m sure many posters older than me (yes – there are a few) can go back even further. The best of them all would certainly be the aforementioned David Francey, who could make the most boring 0-0 draw sound like it was the best game of the season. Other stalwarts of radio at the time would be Alistair Alexander and George Davidson, who both had broadcasting careers spanning more than 40 years between television & radio.

For me though, David Francey’s was the voice I associated with radio commentary as I was growing up in the sixties and starting to follow Rangers. He just had a tone that was suited to football commentary & a way of painting a picture in your mind that could put you right there at the match. Back then you got the last 5 minutes of the first half & the entire second half of the featured game live, and if you couldn’t get to the game, I was too young in the sixties to be allowed to go on my own, then it was a Saturday afternoon staple. The only disappointment would be the weeks that the Rangers game was not the live game.

One of my earliest recollections of radio commentary was the Ne’erday game on January 2nd 1968 at the piggery. I was 9 at the time & I’m not quite sure who the commentator was that day, but if I had to guess my money would be on Francey. Two of my Dad’s workmates had dropped in for their Ne’erday drink & to listen to the game and I remember jumping around the living room when Kai Johansen’s late equalizer made the final score 2-2 and kept Rangers top of the league. This was Davie White’s first Old Firm match in charge of Rangers and the draw ended a run of 9 straight league wins since he had taken charge of the team.

Other notable games I can remember listening to on the radio back then would be the 1970 LCF when I tuned in seconds after big DJ had sent his header past Williams and into the Celtic net for one of the most famous goals in Rangers history. I can still hear Francey, ‘and the Rangers fans are going absolutely delirious away to my left’. Then Colin Stein hitting the post in the second half only for the ball to roll back along the line into Williams hands & Willie Johnston sitting on the ball outside their penalty area.

The 1972 ECWC final was another match that those who weren’t lucky enough to attend in person had to tune to the radio for coverage. No live TV due to the SFA refusing permission! The last ten minutes of that game on the radio were probably the longest ten minutes I’ve went through in 50 plus years of following Rangers as we held on for victory.

As for the 1976 SCF against Hearts, I was at that game but years later I bought the record of Francey’s commentary and have since listened to it many times. Wonderful stuff!

I moved to Canada for a few years in 1980 & my first purchase was a short wave radio so I could listen to a crackly BBC Word Service and get the scores each week without having to wait for the Canadian papers on the Monday, who would post the ‘Scores from the Old Country’ most weeks. So radio continued to be a lifeline to The Rangers for me until I returned to Scotland & started going to games again.

Fast Forward to 2019 & I’m now in Houston, Texas and up at 6am for the early kick offs on my big screen High Def tv in glorious technicolor every week! It’s like a different world, but thanks to the likes of the late David Francey and others, I have great memories of listening to Rangers games back in the days when radio was king.

Great post mate always loved listening to the games on the radio back in the day as it sounded more exciting than it actually was.

As they both the beeb and Clyde could only broadcast the last 5 mins of the 1st half they would fill the 3.00-3.40 slot with features on other sports.

Old firm games were a nightmare during this time as soon as said feature was over the presenter would build up the tension by stating that a goal has been scored. He would then make it worse by saying is it a goal for us or them before getting confirmation from the commentator.

Always hated having to wait until Gerry McDaid on Clyde had finished giving out the greyhound results before getting an update.

Richard Park and Jimmy "where you at the game caller" Sandison commentating on the Davie Cooper goal v the mentally challengeds in the 3-0 win back in 85.

Last edited:
I moved to Canada for a few years in 1980 & my first purchase was a short wave radio so I could listen to a crackly BBC Word Service and get the scores each week without having to wait for the Canadian papers on the Monday, who would post the ‘Scores from the Old Country’ most weeks. So radio continued to be a lifeline to The Rangers for me until I returned to Scotland & started going to games again.

Fast Forward to 2019 & I’m now in Houston, Texas and up at 6am for the early kick offs on my big screen High Def tv in glorious technicolor every week! It’s like a different world, but thanks to the likes of the late David Francey and others, I have great memories of listening to Rangers games back in the days when radio was king.
Brilliant stuff, mate.

How much easier it is for the young yins to Follow Follow compared to the likes of you and I. A couple of things:

1. I moved to London for Yooni in 1981. In the winter on clear nights you could pick up BBC Scotland MW broadcasts for European games, crackly and intermittent though it may be.

2. Teletext came to our rescue for scores/results - but you never got the immediacy of David Francey's voice.

3. My auld dear fulfilled the same sort of function as @mdingwall does. She'd tear out the back pages of Sunday's Mail and Monday's Herald and post them to me as regular as clockwork. Unlike Mr Dingwall she'd include a couple of caramel wafers or macaroon bars. Now and then she'd include a fiver - easily enough for a couple of pints.

Makes me nostalgic thinking about it.

Brilliant stuff, mate.

How much easier it is for the young yins to Follow Follow compared to the likes of you and I. A couple of things:

1. I moved to London for Yooni in 1981. In the winter on clear nights you could pick up BBC Scotland MW broadcasts for European games, crackly and intermittent though it may be.

2. Teletext came to our rescue for scores/results - but you never got the immediacy of David Francey's voice.

3. My auld dear fulfilled the same sort of function as @mdingwall does. She'd tear out the back pages of Sunday's Mail and Monday's Herald and post them to me as regular as clockwork. Unlike Mr Dingwall she'd include a couple of caramel wafers or macaroon bars. Now and then she'd include a fiver - easily enough for a couple of pints.

Makes me nostalgic thinking about it.
Funny but in Canada the better the weather the poorer the reception on the WS, I used to pray for clouds so I'd get better reception and could actually hear most of it. Seems like the dark ages now.
I used to get the Sunday Post Sunday Mail & the Rangers News posted out to me every week, it was like Christmas opening the package.

The recent thread on David Francey’s 1976 Scottish Cup Final radio commentary brought back to mind the days when radio used to be THE source for us football fans who couldn’t get to a game for one reason or another. Back in the pre-internet, pre-cell phone days when even television coverage was about 20 minutes of highlights, radio was a lifeline to live commentary. Personally I can only go back to the late sixties as far as my memories of listening intently to the ‘radiogram’ (google it!) go, but I’m sure many posters older than me (yes – there are a few) can go back even further. The best of them all would certainly be the aforementioned David Francey, who could make the most boring 0-0 draw sound like it was the best game of the season. Other stalwarts of radio at the time would be Alistair Alexander and George Davidson, who both had broadcasting careers spanning more than 40 years between television & radio.

For me though, David Francey’s was the voice I associated with radio commentary as I was growing up in the sixties and starting to follow Rangers. He just had a tone that was suited to football commentary & a way of painting a picture in your mind that could put you right there at the match. Back then you got the last 5 minutes of the first half & the entire second half of the featured game live, and if you couldn’t get to the game, I was too young in the sixties to be allowed to go on my own, then it was a Saturday afternoon staple. The only disappointment would be the weeks that the Rangers game was not the live game.

One of my earliest recollections of radio commentary was the Ne’erday game on January 2nd 1968 at the piggery. I was 9 at the time & I’m not quite sure who the commentator was that day, but if I had to guess my money would be on Francey. Two of my Dad’s workmates had dropped in for their Ne’erday drink & to listen to the game and I remember jumping around the living room when Kai Johansen’s late equalizer made the final score 2-2 and kept Rangers top of the league. This was Davie White’s first Old Firm match in charge of Rangers and the draw ended a run of 9 straight league wins since he had taken charge of the team.

Other notable games I can remember listening to on the radio back then would be the 1970 LCF when I tuned in seconds after big DJ had sent his header past Williams and into the Celtic net for one of the most famous goals in Rangers history. I can still hear Francey, ‘and the Rangers fans are going absolutely delirious away to my left’. Then Colin Stein hitting the post in the second half only for the ball to roll back along the line into Williams hands & Willie Johnston sitting on the ball outside their penalty area.

The 1972 ECWC final was another match that those who weren’t lucky enough to attend in person had to tune to the radio for coverage. No live TV due to the SFA refusing permission! The last ten minutes of that game on the radio were probably the longest ten minutes I’ve went through in 50 plus years of following Rangers as we held on for victory.

As for the 1976 SCF against Hearts, I was at that game but years later I bought the record of Francey’s commentary and have since listened to it many times. Wonderful stuff!

What a fantastic post. It breaks my heart to hear Radio Scotland overtaken by the bheasts.
My greatest commentary memories are all from the radio, not the TV.

Great OP btw. Funny enough I was out with a fellow bear tonight and we were talking about commentaters from the bygone days of yore. David Francey had the most unique voice. I found it nerve racking listening to games on the radio. I was in hospital for a month last December and had to listen to our game against the tramps last December. The last few minutes were torture til the final whistle went. I was very ill tbh. but when we scored and the final whistle eventually went I jumped out my bed, and told them not to take my temperature! Great memories of Radio, most times!

For some reason I have strong childhood memories of listening to the games on the radio as boy in Sainsbury’s car park while my mum done the weekly shop. I’d just sit in the car and enjoy listening to the live commentary, the scoring updates etc. Can’t remember the commentators name but he did a good job.

I remember the ECWC final commentary like it was yesterday. 10 years old and the crowd noise was so loud that I couldn’t hear what was happening. All I knew was it was 3-2 and anything could be going on. What a night.

I can’t ever remember radio Scotland being on in our house - only Clyde. But I suppose we must have listened to RS when Rangers were on.

From 5iar to 10iar I had a radio with me at the games to listen to the commentary from the other games. Only thing that stands out was Dundee United beating Celtic with a last minute goal in 96 or 97. I got the main stand section M going wild letting them know that had happened.

last time I took a radio to the game was helicopter Sunday 2003. I remember everyone celebrating our 4th putting us top again, but I was desperately trying hear what had happened at Rugby park as Celtic had hit the post.

Last edited:
Used to love Radio Scotland on a Saturday. After the football there was always a Scottish music show with fiddles and accordions. If Rangers won you were dancing and tapping your feet to the music. If we lost it was " turn that shite aff!" :))

Good old Robbie Shepherd and his take the floor show. On radio Scotland back in the 80's there was some teuchter who gave a report on a highland league game along with other scores of the day. I think he got into trouble a few times by dropping innuendos into his match reports.

Great OP btw. Funny enough I was out with a fellow bear tonight and we were talking about commentaters from the bygone days of yore. David Francey had the most unique voice. I found it nerve racking listening to games on the radio. I was in hospital for a month last December and had to listen to our game against the tramps last December. The last few minutes were torture til the final whistle went. I was very ill tbh. but when we scored and the final whistle eventually went I jumped out my bed, and told them not to take my temperature! Great memories of Radio, most times!

Trust you enjoyed his company, rumour has it he is a great guy ;)

I used to love listening to the game on my radio alarm clock in my room when I was a kid. I loved the noise of the speakers struggling to cope with the noise when we scored.

Great post mate. You’ve captured the radio experience perfectly. Well done.

For some reason I have strong childhood memories of listening to the games on the radio as boy in Sainsbury’s car park while my mum done the weekly shop. I’d just sit in the car and enjoy listening to the live commentary, the scoring updates etc. Can’t remember the commentators name but he did a good job.
Always remember the '76 cup final doing this in my auld Da''s car at some big asda or something in the town, we got back home at the end of first half and I rushed into the kitchen to listen to the rest of the match on the radio, after it finished the old yin asked why I never watched it on the telly :rolleyes: I was only 9 and never thought...

The good old days when the background of the staff at the BBC was in direct proportion to the country’s population in general. I’m sure I read in a book by Archie McPherson that big Ba’Face thought the BBC at that time was full of Celtic-hating Protestants. He’d be delighted at how it is now.

I used to listen to the radio in the early to mid 80s.
The phone in after the match with Sanderson asking “were you at the game?” and I always remember thinking, they must have ran home straight from the last whistle, or jumped in a phone box.

I had some amazing memories listening to the radio growing up, it was always Clyde which was on in our house, it was incredibly nerve wracking but really captivating.

The day we won the league at Pittodrie in 87 will forever be etched in my memory, I was 11 years old and it was so bloody dramatic, Clyde actually broke away from a news bulletin to go back to Pittodrie when Souness was sent off, listening to the 2nd half with all the family it was torture, I remember the Bears in great voice as the game drew to a close, the final whistle was incredible, what a party we had that night, amazing celebrations.

I'd always make sure of standing next to Bear with one of these. :)

images

As someone who followed Rangers from down south when I was younger in the 1980’s listening to Radio Scotland on a Saturday afternoon or during midweek was the highlight of my week. I use to record the match commentary and probably still have some tapes somewhere of those recordings.

Happy memories

Always remember the '76 cup final doing this in my auld Da''s car at some big asda or something in the town, we got back home at the end of first half and I rushed into the kitchen to listen to the rest of the match on the radio, after it finished the old yin asked why I never watched it on the telly :rolleyes: I was only 9 and never thought...
Because they never started to televise Cup Finals until 1977. The non penalty 77 0-1 v Them was the first.
Anyway, back to Radio, David Francey and Richard 'Ibrox' Park were decent commentators but I always felt you didn't always get a real feel of the game at times. They always tried to make things sound more exciting than they were at times when nothing much was happening and it often seemed like a goal was scored out of the blue because they were a bit behind in commentary. You learned this if you took a radio to the match, so you could hear the other scores.

I remember watching a match in lesser hampden - Queen's Park reserves were playing someone.

Rangers were at the piggery and were 1-0 down late in the match.

I was standing next to a guy listening to the match on the radio when Davie Cooper scored a late equaliser.

Almost to a man the 100 or so spectators in lesser hampden were jumping around like mad.

the last 5mins of the first half then the whole of the second, except if I remember correctly,
parkhead.
I recall waiting for our game coming on and the announcer saying that celtic only allow something like 40 mins of live broadcasting.
at that time, games were strict to the times, 3-00 to 3-45, 355 to 4-40.
there was a delay with the announcer telling us that, 'we must wait until the 2nd half is 5mins gone'.
david francey, Alistair alexander, George Davidson, peter sumdy,
leaving Ibrox on a Saturday following a guy with a tranny waiting for 'their' score.
happy days. lol.

Radio Clyde was constantly on in our house when I was growing up. Spent many a Saturday afternoon listening to the games on the wee radio we had in the kitchen or on the old Hi-Fi in the living room. Dick Donnelly would chip in with his wee updates from "a driech Dens or Tannadump" every so often.

One of my not so finer moments was opening game of 94/95 when we played Motherwell at Ibrox. Dad was tiling the floor while we both listened to the game. Wearing my new Rangers shirt, we were 1-0 up and both pretty happy. Then Dougie McDonald (he's a nonce now isn't he?) excitedly tells us that there's a penalty at Ibrox and Motherwell have equalised. Dad mumbled "oh bugger" or something like that and just carried on working. I, however, went fùcking mental. Full tirade, the "stupid cùnt on the radio" was lying, Motherwell are arseholes, the referee was an idiot for giving the penalty and finished it off by booting the radio. Straight red for me - sent my room, told to take my Rangers top off and no more football for the day. Didn't know the final score until I was allowed to watch Scotsport the next day :rolleyes:

When I started working, changing the radio in the stock room from the football on a Saturday was sacrilege. Guys would have their coupons for the day pinned to the wall and I'd be doing my Soccer Saturday bit by writing updating the scores on the whiteboard for them when they come off the shop floor - mobile phones were still quite basic back then. Snake on the Nokia 3310 was quite flash.

Helicopter Sunday 2005 - nearly crashed the car is the long story short.

Helicopter Sunday 2011 - had to work that day and hadn't listened to us on the radio for years but needs must and all that. 4 of us sitting in a wee hut, pissing rain outside and not a lot to do anyway. 7 minutes gone and we're 3 up with the 4 of us all looking at each other in disbelief. At HT, one of the boys jumped out to get a carry-out to start the celebrations. All topped off with Jig interrupting a Chick Young interview with Steven Naismith by screaming "yaaasss, no fùcking surrendaaar!" Much to the disgust of Dick Gordon. Jig was then interviewed a wee minute or two later, starting off with "eh, aye probably should have said that..." :))

Good times follow following via radio. Always the daft wee things that stick in your mind.

I had some amazing memories listening to the radio growing up, it was always Clyde which was on in our house, it was incredibly nerve wracking but really captivating.

The day we won the league at Pittodrie in 87 will forever be etched in my memory, I was 11 years old and it was so bloody dramatic, Clyde actually broke away from a news bulletin to go back to Pittodrie when Souness was sent off, listening to the 2nd half with all the family it was torture, I remember the Bears in great voice as the game drew to a close, the final whistle was incredible, what a party we had that night, amazing celebrations.
That game and the first 5-1 game will live long in the memory.
Another one I won’t forget was the New Years Day game at the piggery when we skelped them 4-2. I had spent the night at hospital with my dad who had suffered a bad fall and I wasn’t sent home by the nurses just in time for kick off. I listened to the game on my dad’s clock radio and the amazing performance aside big DJ raised a smile when it was reported that the scum had turned on their board of directors and had hurled a Mars bar amongst other things at them. The big man was obviously loving what was happening and said he would have caught it in his mouth had he been there.

i moved to the Netherlands in 1980 and the only radio I could pick up was the cracking come and go reception football commentary on my car radio. On European nights I used to go and sit in the car listening to the games. Funny how the reception always gets worse when the play gets exciting. one of my memories was a chance for Rangers and just at the main moment rangers could score the reception disappeared. I started shouting and beating my fist off the dashboard. Then when I looked out window the next door neighbour was walking his dog looking at me as if I was daft. A little while later Rangers scored and I was shouting and pumping the air with my fist and shouting something like " Ya beauty" Again I looked out the window and the neighbour had returned and was looking at me in amazement. He must have thought I was a right nutter.

The wife,three kids and myself would go shopping early on an Saturday morning. I would get Four cans of beer and she would get herself a bottle of wine and Two chick videos from Blockbusters.
When we got home,wife would watch her videos and I retired to the kitchen to make a pot of soup for Sunday and then prepare dinner for later. Teaching the kids how to prepare veggies and chop them and generally showing them basic cooking skills..
All the while having a beer and listening to the football from 1 pm till 6pm.
Oh the glory days.:))
The Three kids turned out to be fantastic cooks too.

As a young aspiring footballer games would always be done for about 3:45, it was then a rush back to car to catch the 2nd half on the way home, going absolutely bonkers when Rangers scored, peeping the horn and getting scudded off your auld man for doing so.

Another memory is being forced to listen to them or even the sheep or Utd as it was still the only way to get an update on the Rangers game.

Great post OP!

Also have memories of sneaking a tranny into school to listen to European games and Scotland games in Eastern Europe.

Far simpler times.

The final whistle & celebrations from Radio Clyde 261 are on YouTube from that day.

The wife,three kids and myself would go shopping early on an Saturday morning. I would get Four cans of beer and she would get herself a bottle of wine and Two chick videos from Blockbusters.
When we got home,wife would watch her videos and I retired to the kitchen to make a pot of soup for Sunday and then prepare dinner for later. Teaching the kids how to prepare veggies and chop them and generally showing them basic cooking skills..
All the while having a beer and listening to the football from 1 pm till 6pm.
Oh the glory days.:))
The Three kids turned out to be fantastic cooks too.

It’s amazing how memories make it seem like a far better time, it probably wasn’t but I’ve memories of the Saturday shooting spree being prepared for the men that had been hunting (rabbit, pheasant, partridge or duck if we were lucky) The men all in the lounge having a drink, the women in the kitchen, the scores on the tv and the open line on the radio waiting to hear reports from the Rangers game.

I’d be sitting greeting for a chippy whilst there was all shorts of game on offer :D

Great post OP.

My biggest memory is hearing Mo Jo's last min goal vs the Dhims and us running mental around the shop that used to be next to Lorimers in Bishopton knocking over all kinds of stuff.

Certainly it's one of the lost arts.

Because they never started to televise Cup Finals until 1977. The non penalty 77 0-1 v Them was the first.
Anyway, back to Radio, David Francey and Richard 'Ibrox' Park were decent commentators but I always felt you didn't always get a real feel of the game at times. They always tried to make things sound more exciting than they were at times when nothing much was happening and it often seemed like a goal was scored out of the blue because they were a bit behind in commentary. You learned this if you took a radio to the match, so you could hear the other scores.
Never realised that bud, that explains it then. Might have been following final I was asked if I'm watching on TV, I do remember David Francey though, wonderful commentator, puts to shame the shower we have now. You're right about trying to make it sound more exciting right enough, it would be like "THE SHOT, OOOOHHHH I SAY THAT WAS SO CLOSE TO THE OPENING GOAL"...in reality it went out at the corner flag :))

Last edited:

Saturday grandstand went over to Hampden for the 76 final and the 1st half was still in play and Doddies goal inadvertently was shown live

I remember watching a match in lesser hampden - Queen's Park reserves were playing someone.

Rangers were at the piggery and were 1-0 down late in the match.

I was standing next to a guy listening to the match on the radio when Davie Cooper scored a late equaliser.

Almost to a man the 100 or so spectators in lesser hampden were jumping around like mad.

About 4 mins left on the clock.
I also heard this on the radio.
From 23.50.

It was a lifeline all those years ago, i also remember the bbc teleprinter when all the results would start coming in about 4 45 on a saturday afternoon,i thought at the time that was amazing.

Vaguely remember during the 90s they had up minute to the minute updates for the games during Grandstand. You'd be sitting watching the rugby (5 Nations as it was then) or the racing and up would pop a score from one of the EPL or Premier Division games.

21st century stuff back then.

I loved mid-week games, especially European, doing my school homework in my freezing cold bedroom with the football on the radio. Happy Days!

One thing I don’t miss from those days is there’s always be someone in the crowd spreading fake scores from other games which you’d subsequently find out were total bollocks

In oor hoose it was always deemed back luck to listen to Rangers on the radio. Curiosity would always win though and it would be turned on just to see what was happening. If the Gers were winning the shout would go up, "brilliant, right turn it aff."

Back