Hearts statement on morelos racial abuse

Don’t think theres any point in debating what ‘indefinite’ means. In this context it means permanent. Budge doesn’t shrink from these things.

Personally I’d let it go. Alfie was noising them up something rotten after he scored. Please don’t think I am trying to excuse racism but can’t see the point in getting super heated about somebody mouthing off at a football match.

Em, that's exactly what you seem to be doing though?

Racism should be offensive to you aswell as everyone else.

Don’t think I’ve done very well here. I do find racism offensive. I just can’t get too worked up about some idiot spouting off at a football match. I’m willing to condemn these people for the morons they are but things won’t change via banning orders. We need to educate people or if that don’t work then jail them.

We’re edging close to a situation where teams want to walk off when this happens. That’s not gonna work very well for the thousands of fans who just turn up and behave.

Let’s be honest every club is good at dealing with fans who behave like scum apart from Celtic, who actively encourage them.
In their defence, when your entire support is scum you can't really identify different behaviours.

I can't personally make it out, but that's not to say he didn't.

Truthfully I’m the same.

He says f*#king. I can lip read that. I also think he uses the word c*nt in his rant as well.

The bit I can’t make out is if he said black during his rant.

Like you, I’m not saying he didn’t. Presumably someone picked it up more clearly and he’s been turned in.

Anyway, if he has used racist language he’ll deserve everything that’s coming his way

Edit Quote below seems to clear things up. Apparently picked up on TV mics. Silly auld racist. He’s for the chop.

62:02 Morelos and Berra fall into the crowd and you can hear a guy call Morelos a black bastard twice before the mic is muted.
I expect she’ll be banning him as well?

Trying to get a bit more detail from the BBC and Daily Record websites, the message I’m getting is if anything happened at all it wasn’t very much.

Don’t think I’ve done very well here. I do find racism offensive. I just can’t get too worked up about some idiot spouting off at a football match. I’m willing to condemn these people for the morons they are but things won’t change via banning orders. We need to educate people or if that don’t work then jail them.

We’re edging close to a situation where teams want to walk off when this happens. That’s not gonna work very well for the thousands of fans who just turn up and behave.
If somebody is getting called a prick, arsehole etc then maybe.
As soon as skin colour is mentioned, it's racist abuse.
It shouldn't matter if it's at football or in the street.

You might make a point about people being easily offended, but that will never cover racist abuse.

Jason-Takes-Manhattan-unmasked.jpg

After what's happened this week and even yesterday, if this was Celitc and their French striker the world would know all about it .

The real racism is how Morelos get treated in Scotland every week by the so called pundits.

Only a few weeks ago a host of SNP politicians and publicity hungry pundits where howling at the moon, demanding “strict liability” and seemed to take great delight in highlighting the indiscretions of our support. I’ve every faith in Hearts dealing with this appropriately however the continued demonisation of our club and support means the very same pundits and politicians will ignore this.

There’s a culture of “well, they probably had it coming anyway” in this country when we’re (players, supporters or the club as whole) on the receiving end. I’ve already seen plenty of it online this afternoon. There’s swathes of folk out their on social media convinced Morelos brought the racist abuse upon himself because he was winding up the opposition support. I’m guessing it’s safe to assume the very same ars*holes have no problem when their own teams score at Ibrox and we get the usual cupping of ears, running into the corners at our ends etc etc.

What are the facts thus far?
Do we know if he was reported by fellow fans? Arrested by the police? There have to be witnesses because anyone who says that 8 second clip is conclusive is being disingenuous.

I think it's safe to say that every club in the UK has racist fans. Or maybe '90 minute racists', to adapt an old term.

For me, the words 'fucking' and 'bastard' were 100% conclusive and I feel that I can confidently say that the middle word made it racist. Not clear cut, as you say.

Just wish that in 2019 we weren't having this conversation.

How about hate crimes?

There's a conversation.

Let's try the boot and the sex pestrer

As they should. I honestly can't tell if you're on the wind up or a bit simple.

Truthfully I’m the same.

He says f*#king. I can lip read that. I also think he uses the word c*nt in his rant as well.

The bit I can’t make out is if he said black during his rant.

Like you, I’m not saying he didn’t. Presumably someone picked it up more clearly and he’s been turned in.

Anyway, if he has used racist language he’ll deserve everything that’s coming his way

Edit Quote below seems to clear things up. Apparently picked up on TV mics. Silly auld racist. He’s for the chop.
Silly old prat!

As they should. I honestly can't tell if you're on the wind up or a bit simple.

I am neither. And I accept that there are no saving grace in racism.

Anyways, one person ‘liked’ my post, thanks. To all the others I’ve clearly offended, please accept my apology.

I am neither. And I accept that there are no saving grace in racism.

Anyways, one person ‘liked’ my post, thanks. To all the others I’ve clearly offended, please accept my apology.

Offended :D

Just you keep on the side of a toothless, Jambo racist. The rest of us will stand with a Rangers player who was abused because of the pigmentation of his skin.

What would you do if a person or a group of people turned up at your work and racially abused you? Keep working or think that it's not on and refuse to continue in that environment.

The fact footballers make a lot of money does not mean they should tolerate being racially abused.

Out of interest how do people know he was reported by fellow Hearts fans? Seen a couple of posts saying this?

The mind boggles reading some of the comments on this thread.

So our player was racially abused and two of the posters on here either question the colour of Morelos skin or say because it was at the football we should let it go.

I mean WTF.
Add in the Bulgaria England thread and its been quite the week.

Some Hearts fans are bringing up what about what they (us) were singing about today and asking if anything is happening to them.

Does not excuse racism in anyway though.

Would not be surprised to hear more of this in the days ahead.

Now I was not there so I could not comment but we really have to be smart about this. It will rebound on us someday.

Last edited:
Back