FC Porto next then, what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got caught out badly by Krasnodar in CL qualifier.

Ze Luis up front has scored 6 in the 7 league games he's played, he's big and physical and would expect him to start and rest Aboubakar or Marega (Recoba says he's declared fit though) who are first choice.

Luis Diaz is a new signing who Morelos may know from international duty, not the quickest for a wide player but very clever with his passing.

Point would be a terrific result.

Main focus should be Motherwell on Sunday. No point getting a result on Thursday and dropping points on Sunday.

Until the next international break we need to win every game in the league and make the final of the league cup. The 2 Porto games are a bonus.

Completely agree.

And I'd go as far as personnel changes for Thursday, resting for Sunday.

It's a free hit...as long as we don't make ludicrous individual mistakes and get NO injuries then we should go and enjoy it.

I’d bite your hand off for a draw. I expect a defeat though, they’re a good side and we’ve got one or two players in the side just now who are passengers.

3rd in their league doesn’t really tell the whole story.

They’re level on points with 2nd and 1 point behind first. 6 wins, 1 loss so far and have won their last 5 league matches (best form in the league).

A point would be excellent.

FF will be a laugh if we lose.
We could lose to Liverpool next week mate and this place would be incredible

I think we’ll draw 1-1.

They’re no great shakes. Can’t see their attack troubling us too much.

The pressure is off and that’s when we perform our best. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even pulled off a 2-1 win.
And this is the exact reason this place turns into meltdown when we don’t win games

It's going to be a similar game to the Young Boys game but I expect them to be much better when they have the ball.

Our defence is going to have to be extremely disciplined, with no stupid individual errors because they will hurt us.

I actually think because they will come out at us it will suit us, just like it did against Young Boys for large spells of the game, however we need to be clinical when the chances come our way.

We absolutely need Ryan Jack for this one.

1-2 win for us.
Wouldn't have Jack playing this one.Much more crucial that he is available and fresh for the weekend.His presence won't make any difference to the result in Portugal ,we are taking nothing from that game.Keeping our main players fresh for the league games is essential imo

Wouldn't have Jack playing this one.Much more crucial that he is available and fresh for the weekend.His presence won't make any difference to the result in Portugal ,we are taking nothing from that game.Keeping our main players fresh for the league games is essential imo

Not sure where to begin with this.

I think we’ll draw 1-1.

They’re no great shakes. Can’t see their attack troubling us too much.

The pressure is off and that’s when we perform our best. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even pulled off a 2-1 win.

Based on what?

Soares if he plays has 35 goals in 67 games (inc 2 against young boys)
Marega has 33 goals in 67
Ze Luis has 6 goals in 7 games

And our defence at the minute is very very low on confidence.

This is the perfect game for Jack. Porto are technically good, but they're soft, they don't like a scrap and if we get in their faces from the off and let them know its going to be a battle, then we'll take at least a point.

If we sit back and try to catch them on the break then we'll most likely lose.

This is the perfect game for Jack. Porto are technically good, but they're soft, they don't like a scrap and if we get in their faces from the off and let them know its going to be a battle, then we'll take at least a point.

If we sit back and try to catch them on the break then we'll most likely lose.

We also need to be clever with the ball when we have it, which is Ryan Jack down to a tee.

Not expecting much, Porto are a good side and when the group was announced this game would be the one you write off. Would be a incredible result to get anything from it

We seem to play better in Europe, than in the league, but I can't see anything other than a defeat for us. If we can't raise our game to beat Hearts, we don't have a hope of winning against a team like Porto.

They lost 2-0 to feyenoord so they are not unbeatable. We are more than capable of getting a result here as we should have plenty of space into in the forward areas which suits us.

whilst I agree the league and Sunday’s game are top priority there’s no way Gerrard isn’t playing a “full strength” team in this game with Tav, Goldson etc all playing. If Jack is fit he will play.

It's a free hit really. If we look competitive against them and could take a draw it would be brilliant.

Can’t play tht normal formation we play. Got to play with natural wingers if tht means dropping arfield then so be it.

Old Walter formation tomorrow 4-5-1 bore the tits off them get a point.

Be delighted if that was the out come

1-0 or 2-0 porto

Anything other than a loss would be amazing for us but I can't see it imo. This is the only game that I see in in europe group as a definite loss. Porto are just too good and even getting a point at home would be a difficult task nevermind away.

horrible game to try bounce back from

It isn't really.

We're in No lose situation.

Everyone expects Porto too beat us. But they are NOWHERE near the team we played with McLeish in charge. They aren't world beaters either.

This game suits us. Ie a team actually playing football and opening up against us.

Think we might be pleasantly surprised if we cut out the daft errors.

It isn't really.

We're in No lose situation.

Everyone expects Porto too beat us. But they are NOWHERE near the team we played with McLeish in charge. They aren't world beaters either.

This game suits us. Ie a team actually playing football and opening up against us.

Think we might be pleasantly surprised if we cut out the daft errors.

Lets be honest mate if it doesn't go well on Thursday there will be people in hysteria on here

Lets be honest mate if it doesn't go well on Thursday there will be people in hysteria on here

Hardly as the bookies odds tell us all we need to know. Anything is a bonus.

These games suit us way better than Domestic games away like yesterday do.

Porto were a Far better team in 2005 I think it was and we went there and got a point and we weren't really hanging on for it either.

Hardly as the bookies odds tell us all we need to know. Anything is a bonus.

These games suit us way better than Domestic games away like yesterday do.

Porto were a Far better team in 2005 I think it was and we went there and got a point and we weren't really hanging on for it either.
I agree mate but trust me if they give us the runaround there will be an overreaction from some lol

Closer it gets to matchday the more I expect and fear this lineup:
McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Helander Barisic
Davis Kamara
Aribo
Ojo Morelos Arfield

Porto I think were quarter finalist last year in the champions league and if you look at our and the unwashed group then Porto are by far the best team of the 8 teams.

a draw would be an amazing result but I think most would bite your hand off for 3 points out of 6 vs Porto leaving everything hinging on out last 2 games

Have Porto had their BIG injury crisis yet? 5 players out, turmoil with the manager etc etc

I think most would expect a defeat. I hate defeat as much as the next bear but when you come up a better side and they beat you then you just have to accept it and move on. I think that will be the case on Thursday.
You are not new on here. A defeat on Thursday will bring out the usual snidey brigade who'll be calling everyone's bottle into question.

If we lose, then hopeful just 1 nil, last thing we want is anything to affect hth or goal difference

A point would be a great result. Despite losing to Feyenoord they battered them (bad result for us that Feyenoord got lucky). They are comfortably the best side in the group.

It needs a Walter-esque game plan with zero room for any defensive feck-ups.
I fear any wobbles from Tav and the pitchforks would be out.

In reality, they should be a level above and no disgrace in losing to them.
But to us, we should give anyone a game and we could have a punchers chance as long as we are not giving anything away.

I fully expect us to lose on Thursday. Probably by a couple of goals. If that's to be the case then. hopefully, we will still give a good account of ourselves and won't throw our chances away with unnecessary individual errors. I simply think that, at the present time, they have more good players than we do and that, ultimately, that will tell. Its possible to come away from a defeat with your head held high. We will have a better chance in the home tie.

Sunday is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back