Should whelan have been sent off yesterday

Thommo2006

Now before people say we poor it doesn't matter etc

I watched the highlights again and when morelos was away running at the last defender with ojo to his left effectively 2 on 1 whelan took out morelos and was given a yellow. I've seen it before where no attempt to play the ball has resorted in a red. So was whelan lucky to get a yellow or do you think it was tge right call?

Referee got it right but I do think the laws should be changed so that no attempt to play the ball should lead to a straight red. The one I always think of was Ian Black on Jelavic many moons ago and he actually injured him in the process.

Something that we do not have in our locker. Professional foul taking one for the sake of the team.

On saying that our player would probably see red.

Except versus Feyenoord Davis, Kamara and Barisic all had absolutely cynical professional fouls.

Cynical as in last man half way line.

Just checked, Davis and Barisic were not booked in Feyenoord game. Could not have been that cynical.

Last edited:
Correct decision re Whelan, but Clare should have been off with a second booking, 3 mins after his first

I'm convinced Clancy thought the guy White who hauled Morelos back after that was Whelan at first, and wasn't going to show a yellow card. Seemed to take an age to book him.
100%. Clancy put his hand toward his pocket when the foul happened then pulled it away (thinking it was Whelan) before going back for the card after the player turned as he got up and Clancy saw his number.

Shitebag.

It was cynical but from the professional point of view Whelan did exactly what an experienced player should do in that situation. He was not the last defender, it was 40 yards from goal and even although Ojo had a clear run at goal had Morelos passed to him before impact it is still only a yellow card. Our players need to take note. Celtic players did this four times v Hibs recently as Hibs were breaking clear onto the Celtic back four. Christie, Brown, McGregor and Ntcham took it in turns so as to avoid double yellows. Had Ejarria done this to Rogic last year we would not have lost 1-0.

Referee got it right but I do think the laws should be changed so that no attempt to play the ball should lead to a straight red. The one I always think of was Ian Black on Jelavic many moons ago and he actually injured him in the process.

Disagree. You'd then be sending players off for clipping someone's heels.

Laws exist for challenges like the one you mention (serious foul play) and they are already red card offences. Just so happens the ref decided not to apply them.

To answer OP the ref got this one right.

Last edited:
Think it was a booking and a correct decision. It's exactly what everyone was shouting for Ejaria to do last season in the 1-0 game against the tramps.

Although another 25 yards closer to the goals you could make a genuine case for a red imo.

Although Clancy had one of his, ahem, better games involving us, I'd like to know what the difference was between Berra's cynical challenge on Alfie and the one that got Katic booked.

I'm convinced Clancy thought the guy White who hauled Morelos back after that was Whelan at first, and wasn't going to show a yellow card. Seemed to take an age to book him.

I thought this too and once he realised it was the guy white he brought out the yellow card.

Although Clancy had one of his, ahem, better games involving us, I'd like to know what the difference was between Berra's cynical challenge on Alfie and the one that got Katic booked.
Was going to say , if that’s one of his better games....etc etc
But then I remembered it was Clancy so you’re probably right.

Overall, Clancy was very lucky. He didn't have many match changing decisions to make although Rangers should have had one penalty, at least. But I can see why he didn't give either as they were not of the stonewall variety. No other major decisions had to be made, lucky for him.
But the pattern of yellow cards (or non-cards) left a lot to be desired. The bookings of Morelos and, more so, McGregor, were farcical. Contrast to the cynicism of several Hearts players, and the big centre forward who committed so many fouls I lost count (must have been close to double figures) not including the ones he got away with. I actually thought he was booked when Clancy went to him and pointed to several areas of the pitch. He fouled again after that.Both teams ended up with four cards each. those figures show what a poor referee he is. Several of their players made cynical fouls after being booked with no further action taken. Hearts were given free rein to boot Rangers all over the park, and fair play to them, they were good at it.

Overall, Clancy was very lucky. He didn't have many match changing decisions to make although Rangers should have had one penalty, at least. But I can see why he didn't give either as they were not of the stonewall variety. No other major decisions had to be made, lucky for him.
But the pattern of yellow cards (or non-cards) left a lot to be desired. The bookings of Morelos and, more so, McGregor, were farcical. Contrast to the cynicism of several Hearts players, and the big centre forward who committed so many fouls I lost count (must have been close to double figures) not including the ones he got away with. I actually thought he was booked when Clancy went to him and pointed to several areas of the pitch. He fouled again after that.Both teams ended up with four cards each. those figures show what a poor referee he is. Several of their players made cynical fouls after being booked with no further action taken. Hearts were given free rein to boot Rangers all over the park, and fair play to them, they were good at it.
So overall a good performance by Clancy’s standards then.

It was the right call, if someone has done that in the first game at Parkhead last season we wouldn’t have lost.

I hope we hammer right into that forward of theirs at Xmas , he is a dangerous player , but if he is given the message early he will disappear like snow off a dyke -how we’ve no done this I thd games before them is a mystery to me !

That law is already there, the tackle from behind no intention to play ball was introduced for a World Cup then hardly used since but still on laws.

Now before people say we poor it doesn't matter etc

I watched the highlights again and when morelos was away running at the last defender with ojo to his left effectively 2 on 1 whelan took out morelos and was given a yellow. I've seen it before where no attempt to play the ball has resorted in a red. So was whelan lucky to get a yellow or do you think it was tge right call?

Not sure but did that consistent fouling Ikpeazu even get booked? The amount of foiling he did how did he last on the pitch?

I really must have watched a different game to most of the people on this thread, Clancy was a fecking disgrace.
Here we have a referee who was basically dropped for the temerity of denying the mentally challengeds in their one sided warped minds some major decisions, two weeks latter the same Clancy is given the premier game of the weekend, work that one out of you can.
He then proceeds to book our goalkeeper for a decision neither him or his linesman made clear if it was a foul,or a goal kick.
His best one was when he ran to the fat Hearts striker indicated he had committed 12345 fouls then instead of booking him, gave one last chance, then when he went shoulder to shoulder with Morelos he gave the foul to Hearts then Morelos bounced the ball in frustration and Clancy, like most referees couldn’t wait to book him. Sean Clare booked for a combination of fouling and booting the ball away, 10 minutes later he goes through Barasic, again Clancy ignores a second yellow and allows Hearts yet again to get away with their thuggery which was a theme all game.
Now there’s out an out cowardly cheats refereeing our games but Kevin Clancy basically falls under the category of just plain shyte at his job.

Correct decision was made.

It was cynical but nothing more
You’re right.
However, that said, the punishment for “good fouls” also known as “cheating” (although this is okay as it’s part of the game) needs to be greater.
Look at how diving is viewed.

You’re right.
However, that said, the punishment for “good fouls” also known as “cheating” (although this is okay as it’s part of the game) needs to be greater.
Look at how diving is viewed.

agree. Always remember the game away at Ross county(?) under warburton. Fouled every time we crossed half way line

Prob been said already but it was the same as black on Jelavic at Tynecastle before (ish).

A yellow and a half prob. Not quite a red

It was a yellow, but tbh I've always thought it should be red.
This for me.

I was screaming red. There's no real attempt to play the ball. His first thought was to take him out!

Whelan was never within a yard of the ball!

It was cynical but from the professional point of view Whelan did exactly what an experienced player should do in that situation. He was not the last defender, it was 40 yards from goal and even although Ojo had a clear run at goal had Morelos passed to him before impact it is still only a yellow card. Our players need to take note. Celtic players did this four times v Hibs recently as Hibs were breaking clear onto the Celtic back four. Christie, Brown, McGregor and Ntcham took it in turns so as to avoid double yellows. Had Ejarria done this to Rogic last year we would not have lost 1-0.

We lost 1-0 last September, because the ref refused to take the 4th assistant's advice, spotted a breakaway by the filth and that was it.

We should have had a foul in a dangerous area, which meant Ejirria didn't have to foul anyway.

And yes he should have.

Whelan gave away another foul not long after that incident which could have been a second yellow.

This could have been a second yellow, but the first was the correct decision. If you give reds for that you would have several every game. Some players whole games are based on making professional fouls.

Probably the right call in that decision. I thought he was very lenient throughout but was baffled on the Morelos shoulder to shoulder foul and the big guy up front for Hearts NOT getting booked. The McGregor one was a booking depending on what he actually was bellowing at Clancy.

Smith was lucky as was the tramp with the bloody nose.
A few of them got away with persistent fouling - Clare, Whelan and Ikpeazu.
Don't worry though Craggs and Mutton told us all it was great effort and passion for Hertz.

Yes. These ‘professional’ fouls and ‘taking one for the team’ should be resigned to the bin and red card as a punishment.

All you are likely to do is injure an opponent

Back