Stephen Hughes

Empire

@Empire1872 - Twitter
Staff member
I know he got into a bother around 2015 and had some issues with alcohol but I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to him and what he’s up to now? Still only 36 and stopped playing in 2015 (he was only 32) as he couldn’t get a club.

Growing up he was a player I seen a lot of. Obviously his physique wasn’t the best for Scottish Football but he still played in some big games and scored a few goals. One I remember fondly was the late winner at Easter Road. He must have had a good number of appearances for us in 2001/2002 as I can remember him loads from that season.

Find it a wee bit strange he’s fallen off the radar totally when others from that era who came through under Advocaat like Maurice Ross and Bob Malcolm pop up now and again. I remember he played against us at some point when we were down in lower leagues - think it was East Fife.

Genuinely hope the guy is ok and is doing well for himself but worried it might not be the case. Anyone shed any light on this?

A broken marriage screwed him.

Debut at Ibrox in a Saturday night against Hibs which ended up in a draw under DA.

Scored against hearts away also.

To play in that midfield when there was so much talent goes to show he was actually decent for us.

Never developed at the Rate we expected, ended up in England with Leiciester and Nowich before playing for Motherwell and Aberdeen.

Heard he was at a call centre too.

I had the full white kit and Hughes 27 on the back in my teens because I thought I could spot a player.

Safe to say I have nothing to do with football professionally
I had exactly the same kit for exactly the same reasons and I also have absolutely nothing to do with football professionally.

when he was young he looked a player but never really grew into himself.

Spoke to him after the Legends match the other week. Seemed to have really enjoyed the match but doesn't attend as much as he'd like due helping out and watching his kids team.

That's good to hear.

The club should get him back for a halftime draw or something and give him a day out. There has been poorer players than Hughes that’s done it over the years.

I worked with his ex missus at a call centre in Motherwell
Lovely girl and spoke well of him despite his ‘issues’

Prior to auchenhowie he be used to be in the living well gym across from the Hilton trying to bulk up.

He had a similar build to myself so knew it was never going to happen for him.

I was at a signing in the Rangers shop at Ibrox by Arthur Numan and Stephen Hughes,this lovely old lady was in the queue just in front of me got her book signed by AN and turned to Stephen Hughes and said to him "and what is your name son and what are you doing here?" Arthur Numan just creased up with laughter as SH replied "im Stephen Hughes and i play for Rangers"

Worked with his ex father in law. Absolute nonsense about the booze problems. It was gambling that screwed him up

One of his early games was against Celtic at (I think) Ibrox - maybe around 2001?

Played really well, covered a lot of ground.

As thin as a beanpole, though. Didn't go onto better and bigger things, sadly.

He had a very decent spell at Motherwell and broke into the Scotland team. It was when they had Ross McCormack as well around about 2008.

“Rangers class” doesn’t exist.
It’s a myth flung around as a lazy way to belittle a player. Ross & Malcolm both won trophies with our club, playing at times when we had internationalists from all over the world in the team.
They never played that much, malcolm averaged 10 games a season .
Ok, call it what you want, Rangers level then.
But there is a level.
Thank god we had internationals from all over the world, as Ross, Malcolm and Hughes level would not win a league.

My one and only time in hospitality he was MOTM against Aberdeen! I’m sure he scored that day

Came into Club Europe after and posed for photos etc

I worked with his ex missus at a call centre in Motherwell
Lovely girl and spoke well of him despite his ‘issues’

That call centre is a client of ours.

I know his ex as well and same story, she speaks very well of him.

Seems a popular guy despite his problems.

I know he got into a bother around 2015 and had some issues with alcohol but I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to him and what he’s up to now? Still only 36 and stopped playing in 2015 (he was only 32) as he couldn’t get a club.

Growing up he was a player I seen a lot of. Obviously his physique wasn’t the best for Scottish Football but he still played in some big games and scored a few goals. One I remember fondly was the late winner at Easter Road. He must have had a good number of appearances for us in 2001/2002 as I can remember him loads from that season.

Find it a wee bit strange he’s fallen off the radar totally when others from that era who came through under Advocaat like Maurice Ross and Bob Malcolm pop up now and again. I remember he played against us at some point when we were down in lower leagues - think it was East Fife.

Genuinely hope the guy is ok and is doing well for himself but worried it might not be the case. Anyone shed any light on this?

I remember reading a story that he came with another player who was trialling for us and impressed the coaching staff at the time and got signed dont know how true this is as my memory is rubbish.
Thought he was a very gifted player.

I always thought that Hughes looked a decent player - never anything outstanding by any stretch of the imagination but he was a decent player.

A decent player, nothing special. We've had FAR worse in the jersey in the past 10 years than Stephen Hughes.

“Rangers class” doesn’t exist.
It’s a myth flung around as a lazy way to belittle a player. Ross & Malcolm both won trophies with our club, playing at times when we had internationalists from all over the world in the team.

Was going to like this, however that word internationalist fuckin gets my goat.

Back