Tom Hunter - Rangers

Crouchy

He’s on the BBC tonight, hence the thread.

He was mates with Murray. Been to see us etc.

Rumours are he tried to takeover the club twice, but Murray rejected.

Any truth in that? How close was he either as an investor or owner?

I don’t remember him in 2012, but was he linked?

I remember hearing rumours that there was bad blood between him and Murray and that was the main reason he didn't invest.
Could be a load of bull though.

He was suppose to be behind the Walter Smith consortium but I think he later let them down. Not that it would’ve made much difference in the carve up.

I remember hearing rumours that there was bad blood between him and Murray and that was the main reason he didn't invest.
Could be a load of bull though.

i remember exactly this, I’m sure at some stage there were stories in the press (Herald maybe?!) that Murray had approached Hunter for either funds or to take control and TH told him to GTF

Yes supporting crank...
Couldnt give a flying fcuk if hees a billionaire.. a snp lacky

I think he wanted a say in the retail operation.
Not even considering our situation with SD, would that have been a bad thing?
An experienced sports goods retailer, a man with the know how to maximise that part of the business.

Tom Hunter has previously been reported as saying that he was keen to take a financial interest in Rangers, perhaps even buying Murray out way back, but he had been warned by people he trusted that the media intrusion, particularly by the tabloid press, that would go with it would have such an intrusive effect on his and his family’s lives that he decided against investing.

If memory serves he was interested until he got a look at the books, and said no thanks, could be shite but that was the rumour.

I got to know a friend of his reasonably well. Hunter did want to invest, but he wanted his investment secured against Auchenhowie.

Murray told him to bolt.

Not even considering our situation with SD, would that have been a bad thing?
An experienced sports goods retailer, a man with the know how to maximise that part of the business.
He would have been arevelation in charge of the retail.Murrays ego wouldn't allow it though

He never showed up when we were trouble, that I know. In King I trust.

Tom Hunter has previously been reported as saying that he was keen to take a financial interest in Rangers, perhaps even buying Murray out way back, but he had been warned by people he trusted that the media intrusion, particularly by the tabloid press, that would go with it would have such an intrusive effect on his and his family’s lives that he decided against investing.

So, a shitebag?

Thank feck some real Rangers men stepped up.

My best mates dad was a business partner of his for a long time.

TH was interested in investing but wanted control over what his money was used for and where. Murray wanted a Joe Lewis/Dave King investment where he simply took their funds and did what he liked with it.

Tom told him to bolt.

Get that. Who'd want the mhedia digging into ones life?

So, a shitebag?

Thank feck some real Rangers men stepped up.
I think you’re being more than a bit harsh there. Tom Hunter was interested , from memory, about 15 years ago, way before our financial problems. Being in the media eye yourself is one thing but if it could affect your children and other members of your family that’s something else altogether.

As a sort of parallel I remember Guillam Balague saying that before Real Madrid signed David Beckham their board swithered for a consideable period on whether they (Real Madrid) could handle the English tabloid press interest/intrusion if they signed Beckham and the initial English tabloid circus was such that some board members would have voted against signing him if they had realised just how bad it was.
Factor in that the Scottish press even 15 or so years ago were even then largely scum with typewriters and you can understand his reticence to get involved.

My best mates dad was a business partner of his for a long time.

TH was interested in investing but wanted control over what his money was used for and where. Murray wanted a Joe Lewis/Dave King investment where he simply took their funds and did what he liked with it.

Tom told him to bolt.
So basically the charlatan Murray struck again.
Any remaining portraits of that man on the walls of Ibrox should be consigned to the nearest bin.

Yup that much of a philanthropist when he put his business into prepack admin he stiffed HBOS of £300m and is now seen as a great guy as he’s giving “his” money away?

It sticks in my craw when I hear people fawning over Hunter. I worked for Sports Division when he sold up to Dave Whelan and JJB and threw hundreds of workers onto the dole. This was soon after he stood on the shop floor and promised that if anybody was buying anybody out it would be Sports Division doing the buying.
Apart from that, for a Rangers man, I don’t recall him being spotted at Ibrox once over the years. If he was interested in getting involved at Rangers, it would have been with the intent of getting into the retail side of things and making money from it.

Tom hasn't the slightest interest in football. It is true Murray courted him, but for Tom that simply served to stroke his considerable ego.

It sticks in my craw when I hear people fawning over Hunter. I worked for Sports Division when he sold up to Dave Whelan and JJB and threw hundreds of workers onto the dole. This was soon after he stood on the shop floor and promised that if anybody was buying anybody out it would be Sports Division doing the buying.
Apart from that, for a Rangers man, I don’t recall him being spotted at Ibrox once over the years. If he was interested in getting involved at Rangers, it would have been with the intent of getting into the retail side of things and making money from it.
Often the only difference between people like Hunter and people like Ashley is good PR. You don’t get to be that rich without being ruthless

Tom hasn't the slightest interest in football. It is true Murray courted him, but for Tom that simply served to stroke his considerable ego.

Exactly the way I see it.
His family had the local Grocers shop in New Cumnock when we stayed there in the 70's. The bold Tom much preferred Rugby to Football.

Back