Lazio...……………………….. 37.00
Rennes...…...……………….. 11.00
CFR Cluj...…………………… 3.50
AIK Stockholm...……….…. 5.50
CFR Cluj...…...…...………….. 3.50
Kalju…...….........……………... 3.50
FK Sarajevo...………...…….. 4.25

Opponent Average...……. 9.75

thanks for posting, We dont get the credit we deserve. Its always a glowing reference for them no matter with our biased jurnos.

Not sure it’s a fair comparison considering our recent history.

If we compare wage budgets, we’re probably second or third on the list.

Club / Co-Efficient at start of season

Rangers...……………………. 5.25
Porto...………………………..93.00
Young Boys...………...…...27.50
Feyenoord...……………….22.00
Legia Warsaw...…………..24.50
Midtjylland...………………14.00
Progres Niedercorn……. 2.75
St Joseph's...............…...…. 0.75

Opponent Average ….. 26.36

For comparison, if any Tims tell you that they had a harder Group/Qualifiers:

Celtc………………………….. 31.00
CFR Cluj...…………………… 3.50

Damn facts.
I suppose you must have spent weeks researching this type of information, trawling through magazines and newspapers never mind all the matches you must have watched.
You cannot blame Scottish hacks for not knowing such detailed analysis.
That is why such complex information will never see the light of day in a Scottish rhag, they simply don't have the time.

What, ... you got it where? ... Off an internet site and it only took you minutes? :oops:

It's not about us though, it's the opposition points totals stacked up.

Yeah but it’s a comparison to say look how much we’re punching. We are, but in reality we’re not on a level with Luxembourg plumbers like the coefficient points infers.

Not wanting to get carried away but if we picked up a draw and a win in the last 2 group games, we'd be in the top 100 clubs.

Even more ambitious 2 wins and then at least one win in the last 32 draw, we could be up in the 80s...with only 3 European seasons to cover it.

On current trend we'll be in the top 50 at least within the next 3 years.

Below is the minimum co-efficient for the seeded side of the draw for last years Champions Route Champions League qualifiers and the group pots. Right now we are on 10.4 for next season but have the chance to make more as our euro run goes on.

Q1 5.5
Q2 16.75
Q3 25.5
Q4 29.5

Pot4 11.7
Pot3 29.5
Pot2 68
Pot1 72

Yeah but it’s a comparison to say look how much we’re punching. We are, but in reality we’re not on a level with Luxembourg plumbers like the coefficient points infers.
It's a comparison to show the level of European opposition we've been playing against septics surely, based on coefficient points.

It's a comparison to show the level of European opposition we've been playing against septics surely, based on coefficient points.

I see. But I sort of thought that much was obvious, just by looking at the names of their opponents!

It makes sense though, given they’ve been seeded for every round and second seeds for the group. They’re going to have more lesser ranked opposition teams.

Club / Co-Efficient at start of season

Rangers...……………………. 5.25
Porto...………………………..93.00
Young Boys...………...…...27.50
Feyenoord...……………….22.00
Legia Warsaw...…………..24.50
Midtjylland...………………14.00
Progres Niedercorn……. 2.75
St Joseph's...............…...…. 0.75

Opponent Average ….. 26.36

For comparison, if any Tims tell you that they had a harder Group/Qualifiers:

Celtc………………………….. 31.00
CFR Cluj...…………………… 3.50

whatvi don’t know is the impact of being out for so long so are we in a ‘false’ position

eg should we be around 25 anyway?

I see. But I sort of thought that much was obvious, just by looking at the names of their opponents!

It makes sense though, given they’ve been seeded for every round and second seeds for the group. They’re going to have more lesser ranked opposition teams.

which is the whole point! Daily Record running with stories that Lenny is.. and I quote "ultimate euro achiever". What a ridiculous tag to give someone who got chucked out the champions league by a club with a club co-efficient of 3.5 two months ago.

SG euro achievements have been outstanding, but as usual, it is not in our mhedia remit to highlight. Well done OP for showing what we all know.

which is the whole point! Daily Record running with stories that Lenny is.. and I quote "ultimate euro achiever". What a ridiculous tag to give someone who got chucked out the champions league by a club with a club co-efficient of 3.5 two months ago.

SG euro achievements have been outstanding, but as usual, it is not in our mhedia remit to highlight. Well done OP for showing what we all know.

My goodness. What a stretch that is. Celtic have done well, as have we. We’re 3 points less than them, but our group is harder (as we are 4th seeds, not 2nd) and we didn’t get knocked out of qualifying whilst being the seeds.

Insane to suggest their ties are harder whilst being seeded much higher. Surely that’s common sense. Apologies if misread the intent.

whatvi don’t know is the impact of being out for so long so are we in a ‘false’ position

The impact is we'd be playing more teams with coefficient points hovering about the 10 mark instead of 20+. It's much harder now than it should be in reality. You're right though. 25 is about where we should be looking to be at when we have 5 years of points stacked up, maybe sooner with some luck.

The Co-Efficient is worked out over 5 years.

We didn't compete in 15/16 or 16/17, then got 0.25 for Pedro's calamity against Progres and 5.0 last year. we have also got another 5.0 so far this year, which will hopefully increase our current total of 10.25.

Getting to the Europa League Group Stage is worth around about 5 points upwards, so you are correct and we should be sitting at least around the 25 point mark, hopefully more in 3 years time, when we will have 5 decent totals accumulated.

No doubt highlighted elsewhere, but with us and the other lot doing well this season, Scotland are currently up to 16th place for season 21/22, just 0.125 behind Cyprus. 15th place is the magic position that gives 2 teams entry to the CL Qualifiers., with the site that I use predicting that we will get to 14th place by the end of the current campaign, due to the countries directly above us (Cyprus, Denmark & Czech Republic) only having 1 team each left in current competitions (Apoel, Copenhagen & Slavia Prague).

Last edited:
Group G is always the toughest because of how the draw works, specifically how country clashes are resolved.

In all honesty, this group is probably tougher than the last couple of Champions League Groups we had under Walter.

Young Boys reached the Champions League Group Stages after knocking out Dinamo Zagreb ( who themselves reached the last 16 in last years Europa League) then beat Juventus and were a minute from escaping Old Trafford with a point.

Porto got to the Quarter Finals in last seasons Champions League. Won their Group Stage undefeated with 5 wins and a draw, beat Roma in extra time and came unstuck against eventual winners Liverpool.

Feyenoord. They have Advocaat at the helm which is always going to be tough. Couple of seasons ago they were in the Champions League Group Stage and beat Napoli.

Every team in the Group stage has won their domestic title since we have been back in the Premiership. FC Midtjylland and Legia Warsaw have also done so.

We didn't compete in 15/16 or 16/17, then got 0.25 for Pedro's calamity against Progres and 5.0 last year. we have also got another 5.0 so far this year, which will hopefully increase our current total of 10.25.

Getting to the Europa League Group Stage is worth around about 5 points upwards, so you are correct and we should be sitting at least around the 25 point mark, hopefully more in 3 years time, when we will have 5 decent totals accumulated.

No doubt highlighted elsewhere, but with us and the other lot doing well this season, Scotland are currently up to 16th place for season 21/22, just 0.125 behind Cyprus. 15th place is the magic position that gives 2 teams entry to the CL Qualifiers., with the site that I use predicting that we will get to 14th place by the end of the current campaign, due to the countries directly above us (Cyprus, Denmark & Czech Republic) only having 1 team each left in current competitions (Apoel, Copenhagen & Slavia Prague).
Cheers

Just a slight pedantic moment - we're sitting 14th for the start of the next campaign, not the end of this one.

15th at the end of this one is a real possibility though!

seeded teams must hate to draw us now must piss them off too because we are much better than the rest of the teams in our pot

Absolutely mate. Not one of the higher seeds would want us anywhere near them be that in the qualifiers or in the group's.

Just a slight pedantic moment - we're sitting 14th for the start of the next campaign, not the end of this one.

15th at the end of this one is a real possibility though!
Not sure I understand where you get 14th from. Positions are worked 2 years in advance.

For next season 20/21, Scotland are ranked 21st and that won't change.
For season 21/22, Scotland are currently ranked 16th, which will hopefully improve by the end of the current campaign (with 14th just a prediction).

Interesting stats those. We are punching way above our weight.
Defo mate but if u look at all the games weve played so far weve looked like the best team imo and I reckon rest of group see us as the team to beat now! tremendous from where weve came from not too long ago to beating porto comfortably:)

Not sure I understand where you get 14th from. Positions are worked 2 years in advance.

For next season 20/21, Scotland are ranked 21st and that won't change.
For season 21/22, Scotland are currently ranked 16th, which will hopefully improve by the end of the current campaign (with 14th just a prediction).

I meant as in the position we'll be for the qualifying spots in 22/23.

Just pointing out that the points being taken away don't affect the position until then rather than the season before.

I meant as in the position we'll be for the qualifying spots in 22/23.

Just pointing out that the points being taken away don't affect the position until then rather than the season before.
Sorry, maybe it's me being thick, but I'm still not sure what you mean.

Qualifying spots for 22/23 will be based on co-efficients after next years CL/Europa League (20/21), so there is no way that they can be established at present. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry, maybe it's me being thick, but I'm still not sure what you mean.

Qualifying spots for 22/23 will be based on co-efficients after next years CL/Europa League (20/21), so there is no way that they can be established at present. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Yes, so that's where we start in 14th place as things stand.

My point was only that the points which are dropped happen at the start of a campaign and not the end, which is a vital difference with how it all works.

Not sure it’s a fair comparison considering our recent history.

If we compare wage budgets, we’re probably second or third on the list.

yes but it does take time to gel teams

anyone arguing that lazio are a better side then porto is a nutcase

Can you explain this please?

For associations with two or more teams, teams were paired in order to split them into two sets of six groups (A–F, G–L) for maximum television coverage.

That means if there is one team from an association drawn in the first half, the other team from the association must go in the first available group in the second half of the draw (Group G).

These are typically nations with "decent" teams. England, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Netherlands, Turkey, Russia.

In our case, we wouldn't have even been drawn in Group G, however the poets were drawn in the first half early on. Additionally, we wouldn't have been drawn with either Porto or Feyenoord as they were drawn to be in earlier groups, but other teams from their nation were already in that half of the draw (Sporting and PSV, both in Group D), so they were put in Group G automatically.

Back