Crazy argument with a Leeds fan last night.....

Coza

Simple question of “some results for Rangers and Celtic in Europe this week?” from me - this person has regularly stated they think both of us are top end division one teams in England at best. So yes I was baiting them.

Got the usual ‘didn’t watch it’, ‘diddy competition against crap clubs no one has heard of’. Usually back and forwards about Porto in CL last year etc. But there really was no debating with this clown. ‘Leeds would romp that Europa group’. The highlights of this throbber were the following;

- Morelos is a donkey and a madman.

- Not one rangers player would get in the Leeds team.

- championship is the 5th best league in Europe.

- Gerrard will jump from rangers as soon as a championship club shows any kind of interest.

And the absolute fucking astonishgly brilliant (to quote another madman) cherry on the cake was...........

Rangers went bust anyway, Leeds didn’t.

I actually had to explain to a Leeds fan and season ticket holder they went through the exact same insolvency event as we did. They denied this and said “it can’t be true as you had to start at the bottom league again and we didn’t”. Absolute frightening naivety from a dyed in the wool fan who is a doctor and obviously not thick yet was spouting this pish.

I don’t know how bears on here live down in England. I really couldn’t handle such utter morons continually comparing us to absolute dross down there they claim are big clubs.

There are idiots on this forum who think the Championship is the 5th best league in Europe. Rangers would absolutely pump Leeds, and anyone else in that division, in a 2 legged tie

English football fans are the most delusional on planet earth. Leeds aren't far off being the worst of the lot. "Huge club" etc etc. My arse.

Simple question of “some results for Rangers and Celtic in Europe this week?” from me - this person has regularly stated they think both of us are top end division one teams in England at best. So yes I was baiting them.

Got the usual ‘didn’t watch it’, ‘diddy competition against crap clubs no one has heard of’. Usually back and forwards about Porto in CL last year etc. But there really was no debating with this clown. ‘Leeds would romp that Europa group’. The highlights of this throbber were the following;

- Gerrard will jump from rangers as soon as a championship club shows any kind of interest.

And the absolute fucking astonishgly brilliant (to quote another madman) cherry on the cake was...........

I actually had to explain to a Leeds fan and season ticket holder they went through the exact same insolvency event as we did. They denied this and said “it can’t be true as you had to start at the bottom league again and we didn’t”. Absolute frightening naivety from a dyed in the wool fan who is a doctor and obviously not thick yet was spouting this pish.

I don’t know how bears on here live down in England. I really couldn’t handle such utter morons continually comparing us to absolute dross down there they claim are big clubs.

I live in England (Plymouth) and also forms s fair bit of time in the Midlands with work.
I have never come across that level of ignorance. In fact I have found the opposite. Lots of Wolves fans in my work thinking if we drew them in the EL that it would be a cracking draw and think it could go either way.

Send him this, from his local paper. They went bust in 2007 and the liquidation was completed THIS YEAR.

Also, the Championship isn’t the ‘5th best league in Europe’ in terms of ability. It may well be the 5th richest in terms of finances, but that’s a completely different measure,

EDIT: From a Rangers perspective, interesting to note that despite the lengthy process Leeds liquidation only resulted in fees of £1m for the Liquidators. Ours cost are astronomical in comparison.

Talking out of their rear end but what's new.
May I suggest you are being trolled.
No one with half a brain cell could come to this conclusion.

Send him this. They went bust in 2007 and the liquidation was completed THIS YEAR.

Also, the Championship isn’t the ‘5th best league in Europe’ in terms of ability. It may well be the 5th richest in terms of finances, but that’s a completely different measure,
The general standard of the championship is garbage. It is certainly competitive and gruelling due to its size and schedule but the overall quality isn't anywhere near what they think it is.

What would a Leeds fan know about European football in fairness

They were runners up in the 70s and wom the intertoto cup twice in the 60s and 70s.

They also got to the semis of the CL in 2001 odd I think.

But anyone under 45 wouldn't remember them in europe apart from that season nearly 20 years ago.

Leeds are not exactly setting the heather on fire since they were relegated made insolvent and came back up. They seem to have stalled at their level.

We would take Leeds apart with this current team, and that's without the finances that are on offer down in England.

When you see some of the shite in the English Premier League, it really is hard to believe how they big up their game so much.

Sheffield Utd and Brighton are top half ffs.

Burnley, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Southampton, Watford, Norwich, Palace. Don't tell me they'd finish above us given level finances.

Cool story bro

To be fair it depends what mood the Rangers team is in when we turn up or don't turn up, In Europe we look fantastic at times and we'd beat most if not all championship teams and a good chunk of premiership teams, but if the lazy withdrawn can't be arsed Rangers turn up then we could get a lucky draw at Barnsley.

The ignorance of the average English football supporter is astonishing. They seem to equate quality with revenues. There is no way that Leeds could compete with Porto/Feyenoord or Lazio. How many of the Leeds team are internationals? How many have won a major trophy? They have a very modest average crowd, haven't won anything for years and play in the 2nd tier.

I’ve lived and worked in England for a long time now.
Work all over and have only found Leeds to be generally unfriendly and have a false sense of importance.
Leeds would get beat home and away by this Rangers team. Same as the last time and probably by a more convincing margin.

Send him this, from his local paper. They went bust in 2007 and the liquidation was completed THIS YEAR.

EDIT: From a Rangers perspective, interesting to note that despite the lengthy process Leeds liquidation only resulted in fees of £1m for the Liquidators. Ours cost are astronomical in comparison.

I pointed out to said doctor I was an accountant who paid unbelievable attention to the goings on for rangers and as a result had read up on Leeds etc down south. I gave them a step by step summary of why events were near identical including sending them companies house screenshots of 2007. Think once I had utterly destroyed them they just moved onto how Leeds would hammer us. It was laughable.

I checked last night. 6th richest league in Europe. But as I said to them it’s above the Dutch league yet take 10 teams from Holland and 10 championship teams. Form a 20 team league and play it out. Top 4 positions are Dutch clubs and they would dominate the top ten. Money doesn’t mean better. They accepted Ajax would win it ‘just’ but they thought top ten would be English clubs.

An Ally McCoist 3rd division outfit and a clueless Pedro team destroyed Championship Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday in friendlies
Exactly, and we took care of Derby and Wigan easily in the summer

They are not on our level and that includes the teams at the top of the Championship

I pointed out to said doctor I was an accountant who paid unbelievable attention to the goings on for rangers and as a result had read up on Leeds etc down south. I gave them a step by step summary of why events were near identical including sending them companies house screenshots of 2007. Think once I had utterly destroyed them they just moved onto how Leeds would hammer us. It was laughable.

I checked last night. 6th richest league in Europe. But as I said to them it’s above the Dutch league yet take 10 teams from Holland and 10 championship teams. Form a 20 team league and play it out. Top 4 positions are Dutch clubs and they would dominate the top ten. Money doesn’t mean better. They accepted Ajax would win it ‘just’ but they thought top ten would be English clubs.

They are either idiots - though their profession suggests otherwise - or they have to be winding you up. Nobody is that stupid and able to function as a Doctor surely?

Then again...

I've had 37 years of it mate & it doesn't get any better - in fact it's been worse the last few years

However it does get easier to spot those that know what they're talking about & those that only employ wind-up tactics to hide their lack of knnowledge - your quack friend is obviously in the 2nd camp

Rangers, and Celtic for that matter, would finish top two in the Championship easily. They'd both probably set record points. It's a ridiculously poor league overhyped beyond belief.

I'd go as far as to say there's a few SPFL clubs who would comfortably stay in that division too. Filled with dross.

I live just north of Bradford so City, Leeds, Halifax, Huddersfield are the closest teams.

When we drew Leeds in the CL I was actually working just outside Leeds in a firm where there was a lot of Leeds supporters. The patter was manky about how they more or less had a bye into the groups. After the first leg we were coming down to be annihilated.

I managed to get a ticket in with the Leeds fans and I’ve never seen or heard a stadium go so silent or so quickly when Hateley banged his goal in. I had a real hard time trying to keep a low profile.

Goram had another of his heartbreaker nights and then Ally clinched it. After that we toyed with them even tho Cantona got one back.

I had over a ton invested in personal bets on this tie which is a lot of money (esp. back then) for a bloke who bets in fivers and on a rare occurrence stretches to a tenner. But I couldn’t let it go and fortunately doubled my money.

A lot of sorry heids in the office next day.

It’s typical of the mentality of English fans that just because 90% of Scottish Football is rank, then there couldn’t possibly be a half decent team here.

They are either idiots - though their profession suggests otherwise - or they have to be winding you up. Nobody is that stupid and able to function as a Doctor surely?

Then again...

Genuinely serious with their opinions. Bat shit crazy Conversation all round. The poster above nailed it when they said that a lot of English fans think millwall and Charlton are Europa leaguenlevel clubs.

I could handle the ignorance and utter stupidity over rating their over paid junk teams in terms of ability. But when it turned to the “rangers went bust” from a fucking Leeds fan who should know all about going bust I was utterly gob smacked.

Jealousy’s a terrible thing. Son in law’s a Middlesbrough fan and used to come out with this shite. Reality is they would bite your hand off for a crack at the EL.

That arrogance exists down there now where, 'money = ability' which of course is a lot of shite and thankfully isnt the norm in my experience of English football fans.

Ourselves and the beggars would be 1 and 2 in the Championship with our current squads. If we actually played in that league and had the same riches, it would be a canter.

That's not meant to be disrespectful either, clubs like Leeds, West Brom, Wednesday, Forest, Derby etc have fantastic histories and ARE big clubs in their own right. Ourselves and the mutants are on a different level though, anyone arguing different just isnt in touch with reality imo.

Back