Steven Gerrard admits Rangers face significant Glen Kamara transfer interest as he acclaims Neil McCann's development process

BlueMeanie

The Finnish international has become a key players ince his bargain £50,000 move from Dundee in January.

Steven Gerrard has revealed Glen Kamara is already attracting attention from other clubs and admits he still can’t believe Rangers landed him for just £50,000.
The Finnish international produced one of his best performances in Thursday’s 2-0 Europa League win over Porto at Ibrox.
Kamara – recently linked with Brighton and Crystal Palace – is just nine months into a four-and-a-half-year deal he signed after joining from Dundee in January.
Gerrard has praised the 24-year-old for rebuilding his career after being released by Arsenal as a kid and also
credited former Rangers winger Neil McCann for nurturing him at Dens Park.
The Ibrox boss believes Kamara, who has been keeping summer signing Joe Aribo out of the side in recent games, can go on to play at any level.
But the midfielder isn’t in line for an improved deal just yet with Gerrard joking they haven’t opened up a “contract shop” after Ryan Jack and Niko Katic recently signed extensions, with Allan McGregor, Jermain Defoe and Steven Davis set to follow.

“How do I know? Because I get a list of teams who are coming to our directors’ box.
“There is a mix of clubs and Glen can play at any level, with the right players and style. But the style we play is perfect for him.
“He is in a good place at a magnificent club. He has gone from Arsenal to get playing and is now back at a fantastic club.
“Sometimes if you don’t see a pathway or don’t feel you’re in the right place for your progression you have to take a step back or find a place where you can get regular games for your development.
“If he keeps posting displays like that a lot more people are going to sit up and take notice. As far as a new contract goes, I don’t think there are any left!

“Listen, we are keen to reward all our players who are doing well and are consistent but Glen was rewarded with a healthy long-term contract when he came in.
“He just needs to keep focusing on his football. If that continues over a period of time it is
something we will look at.
“But we can’t open a new contract shop and have it open to everyone in the squad.
“Glen is someone who is always available. He will never hide, he will always give you an angle and take the ball.

“The midfield three (Kamara, Jack and Davis) of late have been outstanding and they complement each other well.
“That is the strongest part of our squad at the moment.
“We have people who probably don’t deserve to be outside of that three. We also have people outside the 18 who are fighting to get in.
“Glen has settled in really well. He has been schooled really well, on and off the pitch.
“He is a good-mannered boy who wants to learn and work. He is in a fantastic place and doing well for Finland as well.

“You still sometimes have to pinch yourself to realise what we got him for and where he was at, with all due respect.
“He was outside of Dundee’s XI, wasn’t playing and was running down his contract. It’s rare to take someone of his quality for what we got him for.
“The first time we played Dundee we analysed them and one thing stood out a lot – him.
“It was his technical ability, how he received the ball, the way he manipulated it. It was different to the rest of Dundee’s team, with all due respect.
“We kept an eye on him and watched him in a lot of other games. We basically found out who was representing him and went from there.

“Dundee coached him really well. Glen really bought into Neil McCann’s possession style and he is fantastic coach who did a good job with him.
“Neil has played his part in getting Glen to where he is now. It just made total sense for us to do it when we did. Rangers and Glen Kamara is a good match.
“A lot of kids schooled the Arsenal way are going to be comfortable in a style like ours. He ticked a lot of boxes.”
Kamara played a key role against Porto with an industrious midfield display and it was a glory night for Scottish football with Celtic also beating Lazio in Rome.

The rivals are combining to boost the coefficient and Scotland are now just one spot away from bagging two Champions League slots.
But Gerrard wants help from other clubs to boost our game.
He said: “You have to focus on your club and do everything you can to work towards improving the co-efficient and improving Scottish football.
“But collectively whoever gets the opportunity to fight in Europe has to do everything to improve it because it helps everyone in the bigger picture.”

All due respect Mr Gerrard but FF’s finest stated that Glen Kamara and Ryan Kent were rubbish on Thursday night.

I know who I’ll listen to :)) :))

I thought both were decent. Davis and Jack are a level up on Kamara but he had a decent game still and Kent was one of the only ones in the first half that got pass marks for me going forward.

Sure is, but given he was the Dundee manager for about 5 months, I'd question how much influence he actually had over Kamara's career.
Seems to me like Gerrard is just being courteous here.
McCann was Kamara's coach for 18 months and was the one who signed him in the first place. He had played 13 games of senior football before McCann brought him in and made him a regular for Dundee. He deserves a lot of credit for giving him the platform and system in which he could flourish as a player

How much is Kamara realistically now worth? 4 to 6 million at best? Not sure we would get a better midfielder for that.

If prem league teams are interested I'd sell him, we're bound to get fairly decent money for him and from £50k it's a no brainer

Good player who will only improve but I don't feel like he's someone we desperately miss when he's not playing.

How much is Kamara realistically now worth? 4 to 6 million at best? Not sure we would get a better midfielder for that.
I mean our midfield that beat Porto literally cost us 50,000 combined. There's good players out there. You're probably right about his value though

McCann was Kamara's coach for 18 months and was the one who signed him in the first place. He had played 13 games of senior football before McCann brought him in and made him a regular for Dundee. He deserves a lot of credit for giving him the platform and system in which he could flourish as a player

Haha superb.

I love it when folk go out their way to post negative nonsense on here then get shot down with facts!!

I still don't fully see it with Kamara.

He'd be the one player I'd be happy to cash in for a good fee.
I'm the same, not nearly the same level as our others like Jack davis arfield, although he had his best game for a while on thursday, I would like to see Neil at Ibrox in some coaching role though.

Kamara is good in certain games and situations but can be prone to switching off and wanting ages on the ball and getting caught out, but by and large he is a solid 7 most games without being spectacular.
Not really a goal scoring threat, provides angles in our passing game and decent in the tackle.
If we get offered +5m for him in the future he'd be off.

He is still inexperienced at this level but will improve under SG's coaching and playing football games. We should not be looking to cash in. Not for sale.

Love the guy. Bit of Jeckll and Hyde (or hide) in him but if the staff can keep chipping away at him we could have something of a big money asset on our hands.

Kamara is good in certain games and situations but can be prone to switching off and wanting ages on the ball and getting caught out, but by and large he is a solid 7 most games without being spectacular.
Not really a goal scoring threat, provides angles in our passing game and decent in the tackle.
If we get offered +5m for him in the future he'd be off.

If we can get that kind of money I would try and replace him with someone more creative that can score goals.

Bit of a left field suggestion here but already stated that we need to trim the squad , we may need to balance the books after spending 7m on Kent.
Could it be the club is looking to sacrifice Kamara to avoid selling Morelos.
Tin hat on but only a thought.

I think he struggles for consistency at times, and sometimes I feel the game passes him by a little bit. My biggest gripe is that he seems to get caught on the ball more than any of the rest of our players, but then at the same time we often hear SG talking about players having to be brave on the ball and take a few chances.

I think the longer term replacement for Davis has still to be found, I don't think Kamara can quite fit that role. Equally I think we've got guys like Aribo waiting in the wings who can play a bit further forward. So, taken together I agree that Kamara is someone we can eventually cash in on without it hurting us too much. If we can get a few million for a guy who cost us peanuts then to be blunt I'd agree that's exactly the model we need to be working to these days.

One of the managers first choices in the difficult games and that says it all.A midfielder who can take and make a pass in tight areas is invaluable to a team playing our style of football,allied to his defensive awareness he is the real deal and will go on to make a big name for himself in the game.As for those who say he sometimes loses the ball.that happens with every player,particularly the ones tasked with getting on the ball and making the pllay

Should be a job for McCann at hearts as manager if they want a possession based progressive guy in charge

I bet Dundee regret chopping him now look at the state they are in ffs

Lol I think you will struggle to find one Hearts fan who agrees.

Of course I love McCann but he was absolutely sh*te as a manager at Dundee & signed a heck of a lot of dung.

Tend to agree with this.

In fact, reading that OP, it wouldn't surprise me if we're almost inviting bids to cash in on him

We're pretty well covered in midfield, and still have King sitting waiting for an opportunity.

He shows his qualities on the European stage and is one of the first names on the team sheet for those games he is not necessarily required in all domestic games.

Will no doubt take pelters for this but I’d take McCann when Gerrards times up.
source.gif

Steven Gerrard one of the finest Midfielders of his generation decided Kamara was good enough to play in our Midfield against Porto the other night

So on this occasion I'll side with The Manager :D

Its a good position to find ourselves in these days having a debate on our good are players are

Kamara is an excellent footballer. Always finding space, always looking to take possession of the ball and his distribution is good. A bright future ahead in my opinion. Seems a level headed type also, good pro.

Came onto a game the last few weeks and it’s really helped us.

He started the season miles off where he ended last year though, absolutely no doubt about it. It’s always good when the player sorts that out.

Back