How long can you see the Gaffer staying?

If he wins the title he’ll be gone in a year or too. And he’s not holding out for a direct move to Liverpool, if a decent Premier League offer him the chance to coach in the big leagues he’ll take it because it’ll only strengthen his chances of eventually landing the Liverpool gig.

Whenever Klopp leaves Liverpool for either Bayern Munich or the German National team :D

Seriously though, Gerrard's here for 4 years minimum IMO. We all know the score here. He gets crucial experience of going for trophies and European football as a manager, we get the highest profile manager in our history and one who will raise the standards on and off the pitch before he departs us for his dream job at Anfield and the Scottish press then give us all a laugh by listing the likes of Derek McInnes and Stephen Robinson as 'potential replacements'

Whenever Klopp leaves Liverpool for either Bayern Munich or the German National team :D

Seriously though, Gerrard's here for 4 years minimum IMO. We all know the score here. He gets crucial experience of going for trophies and European football as a manager, we get the highest profile manager in our history and one who will raise the standards on and off the pitch before he departs us for his dream job at Anfield and the Scottish press then give us all a laugh by listing the likes of Derek McInnes and Stephen Robinson as 'potential replacements'

After appointing one of the most iconic names in world football as manager, God knows who we could go for as his replacement when he leaves.

Mcinnes will be flipping burgers in McDonald's by the time the gaffer gets his calling for the liverpool gig

As long as he not missing his family.I hope his contract and beyond and build next phase with youth.

After appointing one of the most iconic names in world football as manager, God knows who we could go for as his replacement when he leaves.

The bar has been set incredibly high by his appointment. Whoever is lucky enough to follow Gerrard into the job will be walking into a far healthier situation than SG did. I keep saying it but the last game before he took over we lost 5 goals to Hibs at Easter Road. We were an absolute mess of a team.

What he has built inside 18 months and at relative low cost (remember how we were told we needed £70,80, 100 million to compete with Scotland's answer to Brazil 1970 ?) is nothing short of incredible.

I’d be surprised if he took a job in the Premiership before the Liverpool one. Whether he stays with us until Klopp leaves Liverpool who knows but I can’t see him going to a mid table English club before the Liverpool job comes available.

I’d be surprised if he took a job in the Premiership before the Liverpool one. Whether he stays with us until Klopp leaves Liverpool who knows but I can’t see him going to a mid table English club before the Liverpool job comes available.

Same.

He always talks about Rangers as an institution, the same way Liverpool is. I think he thrives in that kind of environment so I'd be surprised if he went to a mid-tier Premiership club.

If we continue to improve and we win the league basically he can stay for as long as he wants.

I'd love to see him here for the 4 years and beyond. I tend to think though that if he doesn't win the league this season then he'll be under incredible pressure and that the next (ie his 3rd) might be the last one, win or lose that season. Such is the bampottery of life at Rangers (or indeed at the scumhut).

I'm also still dubious about the assertion from a lot of people that he'll only leave us for Liverpool. He's an astute guy with time on his side. He could afford - for example - to take a gig in one of the European leagues for a couple of seasons just to learn and develop a bit further in a different environment, sort of rounding off his training a bit. Exceedingly few managers stay at clubs for very long terms these days. Suppose he even eventually has a 6 or 7 year stint at Anfield at some point, he's not even 40 yet just now. No point peaking too early when he could still have another chunk of time to make sure he's even better suited for his ultimate job.

Lampards doing brilliant at Chelsea and if Gerrard wins the league here I see no reason why Liverpool wouldn't give him a direct chance

But he will leave when either Liverpool comes calling, Liverpool job looks impossible from rangers or when he gets sacked. So the absolute earliest he leaves is when klopp does imo

Id be very surprised if Gerrard left for any other EPL team other than Liverpool.

You just never know tho, be raging if he did lol.

I think there is a chance of him extending his contract. Don't know how easy it would be for him to manage a premiership team as he would have to face Liverpool. He loves Liverpool too much.
Extend his contract here, make a big impact in the Champions league, then go down to Liverpool.
This, I hope anyway!

Every second thread on here is about someone leaving, or when we think they’ll leave.

Whether it be Gerrard, Morelos, Goldson, Barisic and so on.

Dreary fuckers.

I'd agree with this to a certain extent.

Most people are now defining how good a player/manager is by the level of praise they're attracting in other quarters. There's a strange sense of wanting validation in there somewhere.

Anyway, Gerrard won't be around for long, if only because he has a young family and in particular a toddler that he won't want to be separated from for much longer.

If he wins the title he’ll be gone in a year or too. And he’s not holding out for a direct move to Liverpool, if a decent Premier League offer him the chance to coach in the big leagues he’ll take it because it’ll only strengthen his chances of eventually landing the Liverpool gig.
I don't agree, Liverpool is the only English team he will manage, a move anywhere else in England is too big a risk to his reputation

He will be here until one of two things happens in my opinion. Either he gets the call from Liverpool - and I still think Klopp will stay beyond his current deal - or we sack him.:eek: Seems inconceivable right now, I know, but no Manager, at either us or the Dhims, is going to get too long without bringing home some silverware.

I expect him to be here for his four year deal at least.
Right now I only see him going to Liverpool in the future.

I think he will leave at the end of next season.
More down to the pressure of being away from his family.

Gerrard needs to build a track record before he moves on.

We all think he's done a fantastic job but we haven't won anything yet. No cups, no league titles, we haven't progressed out of the Europa group stages and we haven't been in the CL.

None of that is a criticism of Gerrard. But if he is to move to a big job then he needs to win titles and cups and he needs to impress in the CL. I think he will want to stay at Rangers until he does because we offer him the best chance of doing that.

Here's a thought though, do you think he'd want to be competing directly against his beloved Liverpool (if he took a job at another English team)?

The bar has been set incredibly high by his appointment. Whoever is lucky enough to follow Gerrard into the job will be walking into a far healthier situation than SG did. I keep saying it but the last game before he took over we lost 5 goals to Hibs at Easter Road. We were an absolute mess of a team.

What he has built inside 18 months and at relative low cost (remember how we were told we needed £70,80, 100 million to compete with Scotland's answer to Brazil 1970 ?) is nothing short of incredible.

:)):)):)):))

I don't know how long he'll be here but I'm loving every minute we do have him. The turn around in such a short space of time is nothing short of incredible. Remember, it's not that long ago we were losing at home to Annan Athletic and a cup final to Raith Rovers (though I remember someone else doing likewise :))). We just need that first piece of silverware in the cabinet and watch us go.

Hopefully Klopp stays for a couple more years and so does Gerrard. I can see Liverpool offering him daft money to stay if they win the league.

His natural progression would be to a team competing in its league and in the champions league

Gerrard seems to be a very purposeful and calculated chap, in other words he won’t take a job for sake of taking a job. And all paths will eventually lead to Merseyside.

He is a young Manager, there is no need for him to rush in to a new job when everything is moving in the right direction with us. If/When Liverpool come knocking then he will go, whenever that is. I hope it is not for a few years yet.

The only things that I think will cut short his time with us are the Liverpool job or him getting completely fed up with idiots who constantly chant stupid things.

Back