Bear banned for last minute winner celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm heads here guys. The lad got a ban for being arrested at the game, going purely by the rules it's the right professional decision.
The safety officer has kept the door open for a return once the case is complete. There's no denying the lads loyalty and passion for the club, if he bites the bullet for a wee while he'll be back at Ibrox soon enough.
9 celtic fans got arrested for the effigies, none of them got banned, OK police Scotland fukd up with the evidence but none were banned waiting to go to court.

I think the court will likely convict him and fine him a few hundred pounds - I think that’s absolutely enough.

He hasn’t done anything particularly bad.
So Clubs should tolerate pitch invasions if the invaders don't do anything 'particularly bad'..?

It would be acceptable to invade the pitch en-masse every time a goal is scored..?

What are we defining as particularly bad..? Obviously any kind of assault, but what about say damaging the Net or breaking a Corner Flag or dancing in the Centre Circle or holding the game up for 10 mins.

What about things which might be regarded as being 'bad' but which happened accidentally, like colliding with a player for instance..?

Cannot open the link to read letter from Rangers. Was this guy one of the eejits who jumped on top of the disabled cover?

Feel for the lad caught up in moment celebrating, a warning from the club on future conduct would have been enough:(

Are we the only club that bans fans for a bit of over exuberance due to a last minute winner... I’d hate to see what would be done by hanging effigies from our stands ... shame on you david martin and rangers ... piss poor

So you can only be banned for breaking the law then?
I’m not in a position to judge the club’s policies on this, just my personal opinion. Think the point is that if this lad is getting a shot to make a case in his defence in court then a ‘temporary suspension’ would be understandable (until he gets verdict)?

This man has been banned for encroaching the pitch, what I’m saying is the players have encroached the fans area. What has he done that’s any worse than the players? The players aren’t meant to leave the pitch.

From an earlier post in the thread:

"Unauthorised persons are not permitted to ENTER UPON THE FIELD OF PLAY, trackside or any place which is not a spectator area. Such incursions will be treated with utmost seriousness and will be liable to arrest and criminal proceedings as well as to disciplinary sanctions by the Club/Event Organiser which may lead to long term exclusion from the Ground".

I think that would be enough to keep me on the terracing (if I ever felt the need to run onto the pitch)

This is, I’m fairly certain, word for word the same letter that went out to our fans after the Cup Final against Hibs.

That’s not to say that the punishment isn’t harsh but merely to point out that if you encroach on the pitch then this is what’s likely to happen. They’re not ‘making an example of him’, this is the ‘routine’ outcome.

Stay in the stands. Job done.

Indefinite, by the way, isn’t necessarily forever. It is ‘lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time’. Could just as easily be reviewed as soon as the Court case is heard.

Indefinite is literal torture, poor guy. Appreciate the club have to be seen to doing something but a temp ban for the season or X amount of games would be suffice. Tragic decision from the club.

We all fucking know that princess, to ban him forever is mental. Back to the Copland rear and knitting doc where your happy tutting away
Another one with the personal insults.
Play the ball, son. Not the man.

A lifetime ban surely won’t actually happen?

I’m sure many will agree, a lifetime ban from attending our games for doing something like that, I’d need serious antidepressant medication to get me through each day if that happened to me.

Surely to %^*& it’s only going to be a set period of time and not actually indefinite.

That is fucking shocking. Makes fans look so disposable. They could have went with a warning. Ask yourself this, did Celtic ban the 10 people arrested for the hanging effigies? (Happy to be proved wrong if they were).

Your not aloud on the park no matter which way you like to dress it up he shouldn't have done it and probably regrets it now. The severity of the ban is a bit excessive and making the decision before the lads court case is wrong. It looks like the club are making an example of the lad in the hope is puts others off doing similar things to this showing people you will be punished of you break the rules

For which they could be Cautioned or even Dismissed for by the Ref..
I know, I’m not blaming the players here.

Raw passion is part and parcel of the game. The players went up to the fans, the fans returned the favour by celebrating with them.

The players get a booking and the fans get slapped with bans. Without trying to sound like a 5 year old wean, that’s not fair.

What if he gets a Not Guilty?
That suggest he did nothing illegal.
Being arrested is not a presumption of guilt.
Read the letter again.

He WAS arrested. That arrest brings the club into disrepute. Once the case has been dealt with, guilty or otherwise, the ban will be assessed by the club.

He is NOT banned for life, the letter to him even states this. He is banned at least until after the case has been heard and a decision will be made at that point as to how long it will stand for.

Harsh on him for something that was spur of the moment, but something the club probably had to do.

As for comparing the club's actions with the filth: The day we base our actions on theirs is the day we turn into them. Fuck that.

If he only "ended up on the pitch" because he was teleported, abducted and dumped on the pitch , or his family was being held hostage by masked gunmen who insisted that he should "end up on the pitch", then he has indeed been treated harshly.

If he willingly invaded the pitch and was arrested and gave the press another opportunity to sully the name of our club, I would not be too sympathetic to his cause.

This is, I’m fairly certain, word for word the same letter that went out to our fans after the Cup Final against Hibs.

That’s not to say that the punishment isn’t harsh but merely to point out that if you encroach on the pitch then this is what’s likely to happen. They’re not ‘making an example of him’, this is the ‘routine’ outcome.

Stay in the stands. Job done.

Indefinite, by the way, isn’t necessarily forever. It is ‘lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time’. Could just as easily be reviewed as soon as the Court case is heard.
Situations are incomparable.

Fans running on for a scrap on the centre of the pitch compared to a 15 year old celebrating a list minute winner with his heroes.

Read the letter again.

He WAS arrested. That arrest brings the club into disrepute. Once the case has been dealt with, guilty or otherwise, the ban will be assessed by the club.

He is NOT banned for life, the letter to him even states this. He is banned at least until after the case has been heard and a decision will be made at that point as to how long it will stand for.

Harsh on him for something that was spur of the moment, but something the club probably had to do.

As for comparing the club's actions with the filth: The day we base our actions on theirs is the day we turn into them. Fuck that.
I’d love us to turn into them on this front, they are so far ahead of managing, defending, promoting fans they are on another level entirely.

I’d love us to turn into them on this front, they are so far ahead of managing, defending, promoting fans they are on another level entirely.
I do not want our club defending the indefensible. If our own do things they should not, we should be at the forefront of dealing with it. Covering things up, hiding things, making them go away, that is the preserve of them.

Bear who ended up on the pitch after the last minute winner vs Killie has been banned indefinitely by the club. Criminal court case still to be heard by the looks of it.

Is this appropriate action by the Club?
I was at rugby park when we wok the league on the final day of the season. Never ran onto park . Have sen us win leagues and cups for thirty years , including trebles against the scum , never ended up on the park . They guy did it , his decision and no I wouldn’t have banned him but this is the rules .
Stay off the park

Situations are incomparable.

Fans running on for a scrap on the centre of the pitch compared to a 15 year old celebrating a list minute winner with his heroes.

I didn’t compare the situations merely pointed out it was, word for word, the same letter.

I've been watching Rangers since the early 60s. I’ve never been on the pitch once (if you discount sneaking on during a Stadium Tour;)). There’s been some memorable, and more important, late winners in that period as well.

It’s not hard to stay on the terraces/in the stands. In fact it is easier than climbing a wall to get onto the pitch.

They banned the fans who were awaiting trial for going over the hoardings at the same ground.

How did the club get his name off the authorities? Pretty sure under the GDPR act private or confidential information cannot be shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back