Bear banned for last minute winner celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t agree with anyone running on the pitch but to ban him indefinitely is a disgraceful decision.

I think folk are taking the definition of ‘indefinite’ wrongly and assuming the worst. Indefinite isn’t necessarily forever. It is ‘lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time’. Could just as easily be reviewed as soon as the Court case is heard

After the shambles at the start with the turnstiles and the resulting overcrowding of the stand I’d imagine when Goldson scored there was a surge forward from the fans and he had to jump the hoarding because he feared for his safety.

That’s what I’d be saying anyway

Reactions: GR3
I understand the fella should not have entered the field but this is over the top by the club. Wrap his knuckles...maybe a 2/3 month ban with suspended sentence but this is too harsh.

The Club are defiantly playing hard ball showing UEFA that we are dealing with cases extremely harshly.

Poor form Gers.

I think folk are taking the definition of ‘indefinite’ wrongly and assuming the worst. Indefinite isn’t necessarily forever. It is ‘lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time’. Could just as easily be reviewed as soon as the Court case is heard
This is exactly what will happen. It's likely he'll be given a banning order and at this point he'll be given a time scale on his ban.

Doesn’t merit a ban though.

With your view you could blame the players for going right up to the fans and celebrating with them.

Nah that’s bull
I know, I’m not blaming the players here.

Raw passion is part and parcel of the game. The players went up to the fans, the fans returned the favour by celebrating with them.

The players get a booking and the fans get slapped with bans. Without trying to sound like a 5 year old wean, that’s not fair.

Talking pish mate, this piling over the boards is a recent thing, players been celebrating beside the fans for years without going over

I understand the fella should not have entered the field but this is over the top by the club. Wrap his knuckles...maybe a 2/3 month ban with suspended sentence but this is too harsh.

The Club are defiantly playing hard ball showing UEFA that we are dealing with cases extremely harshly.

Poor form Gers.
This has nothing to do with UEFA.

H
Well I have to say I’m unsurprised by the ridiculous , over zealous , judgmental decision he has made .

Cancelling his season ticket without refund for celebrating ? Ban indefinite from all games ?? Before trial ???

This is outrageous and unacceptable heavy handed nonsense if indeed all the chap did was celebrate with the players .

If he defeats the charge , and I could see it being dismissed as a waste of court time , he’s due a refund , apology and compensation from Martin .

But we may have lost a fan for life - I wouldn’t blame the guy for chucking it for good anyway .
He could have been banned for being on the pitch alone.

For all of you saying that the decision is ridiculous, what would you like to happen if opposition fans or fan encroached the pitch at Ibrox if their team were to score a winner in the final minute, just saying.

As I said to the guy,
Did he enter the field of play? If the answer is yes, then he done so knowing the possible ramifications of his actions. It’s against both the rules on the match ticket & also the law to do so.
He has been arrested. He has been banned.
As the club have advised, this may be revisited once the outcome has been reached.
I’m not sure what else the club are expected to do?

What a ridiculous little country this has become, banned and criminal record for celebrating a goal, did the thousands of hibs fans end up arrested? And it’s disgraceful from the club, pick on their own as they have no balls to challenge other team’s support

Hes an adult ffs. Take some responsibility for your actions, if you cant control yourself maybe seek some professional help.

Embarrassing enough we were celebrating like we had just beat Real Madrid.

My mate was up in court for the cup final v Hibs.
David Martin promised him he would get his season ticket back if he never received a banning order.
He never received one but David Martin reneged on his promise.
Pathetic but not unsurprising.

Bear who ended up on the pitch after the last minute winner vs Killie has been banned indefinitely by the club. Criminal court case still to be heard by the looks of it.

Is this appropriate action by the Club?

Why go on the pitch? It's in the terms and conditions of the ticket purchase (or it used to be anyway) that if you breach the pitch environs, you would be given a ban.

It's heavy handed, but it's never been different.

Ffs, the guy got a little bit excited because we won the game in the last minute, our club should have shown some common sense on the matter.

This is in our ground regulations, probably the same for others. Harsh in the extreme but no doubt wanting to make an example of someone.

Unauthorised persons are not permitted to ENTER UPON THE FIELD OF PLAY, trackside or any place which is not a spectator area. Such incursions will be treated with utmost seriousness and will be liable to arrest and criminal proceedings as well as to disciplinary sanctions by the Club/Event Organiser which may lead to long term exclusion from the Ground.
If that wording appears on the back of the Kilmarnock ticket then those persons will be liable to "disciplinary sanctions by the Club/Event Organiser" i.e. Kilmarnock FC so why would he be banned indefinitely from Ibrox and all the other grounds in the world where Rangers are playing ? Does that mean he can't buy a ticket for the home end at Livingston tomorrow ? What authority does David Martin have over those decisions ?

This is in our ground regulations, probably the same for others. Harsh in the extreme but no doubt wanting to make an example of someone.

Unauthorised persons are not permitted to ENTER UPON THE FIELD OF PLAY, trackside or any place which is not a spectator area. Such incursions will be treated with utmost seriousness and will be liable to arrest and criminal proceedings as well as to disciplinary sanctions by the Club/Event Organiser which may lead to long term exclusion from the Ground.

That's the one.

I’m not in a position to judge the club’s policies on this, just my personal opinion. Think the point is that if this lad is getting a shot to make a case in his defence in court then a ‘temporary suspension’ would be understandable (until he gets verdict)?

did you miss the last sentence from the letter which says we can revisit it after legal proceedings are done?

That is fucking shocking. Makes fans look so disposable. They could have went with a warning. Ask yourself this, did Celtic ban the 10 people arrested for the hanging effigies? (Happy to be proved wrong if they were).
You’re actually comparing us to the filth? We hold ourselves to a higher standard. Surely you must know that.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with the ban. I’ll refrain from passing judgement until I know more about what he allegedly did.

To be fair if the offence is running on the pitch then the tweet is confirming that he did actually do that. So not sure innocent until proven guilty applies.

The ban seems very extreme but can't say I am surprised, had a feeling the club were going to go down zero tolerance route for a while. Flares will be next.

What is the criminal charge though for going on the pitch? (I presume that's what the arrest was for)

Despite the fact that you are not allowed on the park, they lads that were on it were celebrating rather than being aggressive to anyone. Unless they plead guilty to this, this will be not guiltys all the way.

My mate was up in court for the cup final v Hibs.
David Martin promised him he would get his season ticket back if he never received a banning order.
He never received one but David Martin reneged on his promise.
Pathetic but not unsurprising.
If someone from our club has promised something, then it should be delivered on.

Unless a court imposes a ban on attending matches club bans are useless and very easy to get around.i got lifted in 1987 at tannadice and done for botp got a letter from Dundee utd stating I was banned for life from entering tannadice.i didn’t miss a single rangers game at tannadice from then till I moved over here in 1999.

I’ve followed Rangers for 25 years, seen us win leagues and cups, score last minute winners against Celtic and humble European giants.
In all that, it has never occurred to me to run on the pitch. Really cannot imagine the mentality of someone who thinks otherwise.

An indefinite ban is fucking rediculous, however this new thing of running on the pitch at every away game needs stopped. The killie game had some idiot with his phone out trying to get a selfie ffs.

This & the just standing wherever you like at an away game and %^*& whoever’s seat your on

I’ve followed Rangers for 25 years, seen us win leagues and cups, score last minute winners against Celtic and humble European giants.
In all that, it has never occurred to me to run on the pitch. Really cannot imagine the mentality of someone who thinks otherwise.
Try telling that to the thousands of us who did it at pittodrie in 1987 or the thousands of bears who poured onto the pitch in Barcelona in 72.

If that wording appears on the back of the Kilmarnock ticket then those persons will be liable to "disciplinary sanctions by the Club/Event Organiser" i.e. Kilmarnock FC so why would he be banned indefinitely from Ibrox and all the other grounds in the world where Rangers are playing ? Does that mean he can't buy a ticket for the home end at Livingston tomorrow ? What authority does David Martin have over those decisions ?

I’d imagine that by purchasing a Rangers Season Ticket you are agreeing to the club rules & regulations.

The club have been notified of his arrest for being on the pitch and acted accordingly, it’s got nothing to do with innocent until proven guilty as they have been notified of a fact.

He’ll get back in and it will be even sooner if he’s found not guilty.

As I said to the guy,
Did he enter the field of play? If the answer is yes, then he done so knowing the possible ramifications of his actions. It’s against both the rules on the match ticket & also the law to do so.
He has been arrested. He has been banned.
As the club have advised, this may be revisited once the outcome has been reached.
I’m not sure what else the club are expected to do?
I am totally against anyone being on the track or pitch at anytime. I don’t have a problem with the club banning anyone for it.
What I do have a problem with is the club automatically assuming the guy is guilty simply because he has been arrested.
If the guy goes to court and his guilt isnt proven then the club are going to look pretty foolish. They are taking the word of who exactly that he is guilty ??

No nice to see a fellow bear barred but suppose rules are rules at the end of the day

I was on the pitch at Aberdeen when we won the league along with thousands of others.

What a fu.ckin day.

Wish you were there.

It’s harsh but hopefully send out a message to the rest that are determined to go on to the pitch after a late winner

Been going to games for near 30 years and never once ran on the park after a last minute winner.

Seems it’s the new craze and almost decided by those doing it in advance should we score a late winner

I am totally against anyone being on the track or pitch at anytime. I don’t have a problem with the club banning anyone for it.
What I do have a problem with is the club automatically assuming the guy is guilty simply because he has been arrested.
If the guy goes to court and his guilt isnt proven then the club are going to look pretty foolish. They are taking the word of who exactly that he is guilty ??
To be fair the tweet is basically admitting it and the letter says ban will be reviewed if found not guilty.

If he isn’t guilty it will be reviewed.

To be fair if the offence is running on the pitch then the tweet is confirming that he did actually do that. So not sure innocent until proven guilty applies.

The ban seems very extreme but can't say I am surprised, had a feeling the club were going to go down zero tolerance route for a while. Flares will be next.

What is the criminal charge though for going on the pitch? (I presume that's what the arrest was for)

The charge is a BOTP

This has been happening more and more frequently. The problem is that something which starts out as once in a while soon becomes the norm. More and more people do it, more and more often.

The club has to do something about it, and if this looks heavy handed it is maybe just sending out a message, people have to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back