Europa League - Last 32 Qualification Permutations?

BillyBoys

Apologies if this has already been covered since Thursday - what are the various permutations for us to qualify for the Last 32?

Oh, its been covered - and everybody's head is frazzled.

We could get a draw in Rotterdam and be qualified with a game to spare. We could win in Rotterdam and still be at risk of being turfed out. All dependant upon the result in the other game. Crazy.

No point getting too in-depth beforehand. I'm simply clinging to the fact that if BOTH games in our group on 28 Nov end in draws (or even a Porto loss and a Rangers draw would do) - then we have qualified. Either way we do not want a Porto win. Then get a result ourselves.

Basically if we don't lose to Feyenoord that takes them out of the equation. Then if we at least match Porto's result in either of the next 2 games, we're through. I think.

I know i shouldnt, but tin hat, kevlar jacket, even my shin pads are on :)) .......

Gers lose matchday 5, Young Boys win at home to Porto...

Gers lose matchday 6, Porto win at home to Feyenoord...

Gers STILL qualify for knockout stages :)).....
Not the best way to progress... I'll let that one sink in

I know i shouldnt, but tin hat, kevlar jacket, even my shin pads are on :)) .......

Gers lose matchday 5, Young Boys win at home to Porto...

Gers lose matchday 6, Porto win at home to Feyenoord...

Gers STILL qualify for knockout stages :)).....
Not the best way to progress... I'll let that one sink in

Only...

That would leave Young Boys on 13 points. Porto, Rangers and Feyenoord on 7 points. We could still lose out to Feyenoord on head to head. It would depend on how many we lost to them by, how many goals each had scored etc etc.

We could get a draw in Rotterdam and be qualified with a game to spare. We could win in Rotterdam and still be at risk of being turfed out. All dependant upon the result in the other game. Crazy.

No point getting too in-depth beforehand. I'm simply clinging to the fact that if BOTH games in our group on 28 Nov end in draws (or even a Porto loss and a Rangers draw would do) - then we have qualified. Either way we do not want a Porto win. Then get a result ourselves.

If we win in Rotterdam we're 100% through, Porto can't finish above us since we beat them on h2h results.

If we win in Rotterdam we're 100% through, Porto can't finish above us since we beat them on h2h results.
That’s what I thought too, but there’s still a possibility that Porto will win there two remaining games.

If we were to beat Feyenoord but lose to YB in the final game and Porto win their two remaining games - Rangers, YB and Porto all finish on 10 points.

Porto beat YB on head to head.
YB beat Rangers on head to head.
But Rangers beat Porto on head to head.

So basically head to head is cancelled out as everyone beats only one of the other teams.

Then it would go to a table on points won, this would exclude Feyenoord.

The table then looks like this:

Porto - 7
YB - 6
Rangers - 4

Therefore we would get knocked out.

Last edited:
Strangely enough I’m less confident about Rotterdam than any of the group games ,for whatever reason I think we are going to get beat

Young Boys can lose to Porto and still finish on 10 points if they win at Ibrox. That would see us lose out to Young Boys on head to head. Winning in Rotterdam DOES NOT guarantee us qualification unless Porto fail to beat Young Boys.

We are guaranteed qualification in Rotterdam provided we win at least a point AND Porto fail to beat Young Boys. Nothing else fits.

That’s what I thought too, but there’s still a possibility that Porto will win there two remaining games.

If we were to beat Feyenoord but lose to YB in the final game and Porto win their two remaining games - Rangers, YB and Porto all finish on 10 points.

So basically head to head is cancelled out as everyone beats only one of the other teams.

YB - 6
Porto - 6
Rangers - 4

I'll try and keep this in mind as i'm watching the games:eek:

Only...

That would leave Young Boys on 13 points. Porto, Rangers and Feyenoord on 7 points. We could still lose out to Feyenoord on head to head. It would depend on how many we lost to them by, how many goals each had scored etc etc.

Not according to UEFA....

Article 16 Equality of points – group stage
16.01 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;

My understanding is that UEFA will look at results excluding Young Boys, a mini group if you like where points won in matches between Gers, Porto & Feyn... Gers 7, Feyn 6, Porto 4... Last 32...

Clearly hoping it will be a lot easier than this ;)

Only...

No that is not the case. If it finishes as above we qualify. Remember the first head to head tiebreaker is points in ALL games between the tied teams. We win that with 7, 4 v Porto and 3 v Feyenoord. Porto have 4 (1 and 3) and Feyenoord 6 (3 aand 3). Goals do not matter in this case.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...league-last-32-potential-opponents-draw-date/

I know I mentioned about how we progress in another thread and there was confusion about it, this article confirms a win for us no matter what the other results are, is enough to see us through
That’s not right, there’s still the off chance if we beat Feyenoord that we might not qualify.

Also the sun told us that we would start in the 2nd qualifying round this year and they were wrong. Take what they say with a pinch of salt.

The SUN is wrong! Surprise surprise!
There is a scenario where we win in Rotterdam and fail to qualify with 10 points. (Porto win their last two games and we lose to YB).

That’s not right, there’s still the off chance if we beat Feyenoord that we might not qualify.

Also the sun told us that we would start in the 2nd qualifying round this year and they were wrong. Take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Its all confusing but after the game on thursday the guys on BT said the same as what the sun are saying that all we need is a win in Rotterdam, awk well we will see what happens, don't see us slipping up this time tbh

Its all confusing but after the game on thursday the guys on BT said the same as what the sun are saying that all we need is a win in Rotterdam, awk well we will see what happens, don't see us slipping up this time tbh
See post 17 above from c0c01872. That is from the UEFA rule book. It does not matter what BT or the Sun think, those are the rules!

I dont think Porto are going to beat Young boys away, and i also dont think we are going to lose either of our remaining games. We're more likely to win both than lose both imo.

The SUN is wrong! Surprise surprise!
There is a scenario where we win in Rotterdam and fail to qualify with 10 points. (Porto win their last two games and we lose to YB).
If we win in Holland we go onto 10 points, Porto can only match this by winning their last two games but surely we would go through on the head to head against them.

Not according to UEFA....

Article 16 Equality of points – group stage
16.01 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;

My understanding is that UEFA will look at results excluding Young Boys, a mini group if you like where points won in matches between Gers, Porto & Feyn... Gers 7, Feyn 6, Porto 4... Last 32...

Clearly hoping it will be a lot easier than this ;)

I think you’re right actually. So many f*cking permutations.

Let’s keep it simple. Win both games.

If we win in Holland we go onto 10 points, Porto can only match this by winning their last two games but surely we would go through on the head to head against them.
Look up the thread.

It does look unlikely that it could happen, but is a possibility nonetheless.

We can draw in Feyenoord and go through and we can win in Feyenoord and ultimately go out. Just thought I’d throw that in. :))

YB - 6
Porto - 6 ( 7 - 4pts from draw with RFC & win v YBB at home, 3pts from away win at YBB )
Rangers - 4

Essentially right Uddy, tho the table on points won in games between the three tied teams is the first "decider" to sort out the qualifiers... now this would be rite kick in the b@lls if we went out having got 10 points !!!... #believe :))

I don’t think Porto will win Away to Young Boys...and if they don’t and we get a draw in Feyenoord we are officially qualified due to having a better head to head V Porto and Feyenoord

As long as we win the final match v Young Boys at Ibrox we are 95% likely to get through

Incorrect. We could not win in Feyenoord and go out in Matchday 6. We qualify officially if we win in Feyenoord.

There is annoyingly an unlikely scenario where we could go out even if we beat Young Boys at Ibrox.

This is that scenario;

Feyenoord beat us by more than 1 goal.

Young Boys beat Porto

We beat Young Boys with a scoreline of 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 and Feyenoord win away to Porto

In the above scenario the group finishes

Young Boys 10
Feyenoord 10
Rangers 10
Porto 4

Young Boys finishing ahead of us on GD and Feyenoord ahead of us on head to head

Apologies lads, i knew you could go out on 9 points, the rheptiles did, but I thought 10 points guaranteed qualification, clearly not. This would be a disaster so we've just got to aim for 4 points or better from the two games.

There is annoyingly an unlikely scenario where we could go out even if we beat Young Boys at Ibrox.

This is that scenario;

Feyenoord beat us by more than 1 goal.

Young Boys beat Porto

We beat Young Boys with a scoreline of 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 and Feyenoord win away to Porto

In the above scenario the group finishes

Young Boys 10
Feyenoord 10
Rangers 10
Porto 4

Young Boys finishing ahead of us on GD and Feyenoord ahead of us on head to head

They don’t work it like that. If we all finish on 10 as you describe they look at it like a mini-league between the tied teams, ie discount the results against Porto.

That would see Young Boys with 7 head to head points (3 against us plus 4 against Feyenoord). Feyenoord would have 4 head to head points (3 against us plus 1 against Young Boys). We would have 6 head to head points (3 against Feyenoord and 3 against Young Boys). We’d go through.

A result in Feyenoord would be a bonus - always a tough place to go, particularly with them having a new manager.

Saw nothing in Switzerland to suggest we wont beat Young Boys. Fancy us very strongly in that one.

How big an advantage is finishing 1st in the group?

Is it only me that thinks young boys are the poorest team in the group even though they sit top?

At the time we played each of them I thought Feyenoord were the poorer of the two. Young Boys appear to have got better since then - and I suspect, under Advocaat, Feyenoord will be better as well. We have two very tough games ahead.

They don’t work it like that. If we all finish on 10 as you describe they look at it like a mini-league between the tied teams, ie discount the results against Porto.

That would see Young Boys with 7 head to head points (3 against us plus 4 against Feyenoord). Feyenoord would have 4 head to head points (3 against us plus 1 against Young Boys). We would have 6 head to head points (3 against Feyenoord and 3 against Young Boys). We’d go through.

Hands up it appears you are correct;

“If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question”

@Valley Bluenose So overall to summarise mate lol

Win v Feyenoord and we are through

Draw V Feyenoord and we are likely through (as Porto unlikely to win away to Young Boys

Lose in Feyenoord but beat Young Boys at Ibrox and we are through.

Think we got there in the end haha. We should be getting through from this position.

Draw V Feyenoord and we are likely through (as Porto unlikely to win away to Young Boys

Think we got there in the end haha. We should be getting through from this position.

Nope.:)

We are NOT guaranteed to go through with a win in Rotterdam unless Porto fail to beat Young Boys. We could still miss out in a tie with Young Boys and Porto.

A draw in Rotterdam does see us go through on the night PROVIDED Porto fail to beat Young Boys.

A defeat in Rotterdam and everything is up in the air depending on the results in the other matches.

If we win v Feyenoord, we’re only through if YB beat or draw against Porto. If Porto beat YB it goes down to the final game.

There are many other situations that could happen, I can’t even be arsed thinking about what happens if Feyenoord win both of their remaining games. It’s too much to think about.

We should be aiming for at least a point away to Feyenoord and to beat YB at home. Therefore we wouldn’t be worrying about this.

Nope.:)

We are NOT guaranteed to go through with a win in Rotterdam unless Porto fail to beat Young Boys. We could still miss out in a tie with Young Boys and Porto.

A draw in Rotterdam does see us go through on the night PROVIDED Porto fail to beat Young Boys.

A defeat in Rotterdam and everything is up in the air depending on the results in the other matches.

Jesus your right again based on the rule book

My heads fried

Don’t worry mate, I’ve been wrong as often as I’ve been right. It’s a head-f*ck.

What I’m hoping for is two drawn games on 28 November. It’s then done and dusted bar who tops the group.

Aye! The way we are playing atm and Gerrard record in Europe we should very much believe we can avoid defeat in Rotterdam. And I’d like to think Young Boys especially on the Astro in Bern will avoid defeat V a stuttering Porto.

Back