Tax Officials Blamed For Rangers Downfall – HMRC Mistake Wipes Millions From Ibrox Bill (The Times)

Let's hope any suitable court case/enquiry sees Reids former minions sing like canaries as they are offered either a ten stretch or state exactly what they were ordered to do at the behest of their former boss. Get the popcorn in bears.

Only thing that will undo the hell we’ve been through is 55, but heads rolling at HMRC for this will be a nice wee added bonus to the fairytale ending

Now that I’ve managed to control the white hot flashes of fury that have been impairing my vision for the last couple of hours, I’m starting to get pretty excited about what Dave will come up with to take advantage of these revelations. If anyone can do it he can.

It stunk at the time then we had the walzing in of Green from the ether and the money those sharks took, now this. All very murky.

We knew we had been fecked over mate.

The fact we knew it and it looks like it was the case makes the whole charade of the last 7 years even more sickening to have gone through.

Somebody posted earlier, is this the reason that Seperate Entity FC have told their shareholders to kaibosh the Res12 Loonies

Stunned just fuckin stunned, all the shite we endured could have been avoided.
Stitched well and truly up.

Isn't DK a creditor of the OldCo and therefore due recompense in any payout?

DK is no mug , as evidenced by his 20 year battle with the SA tax authorities.
I firmly believe he has the heart to go after HMRC to restore our good name.

I really hope he does, and wipes the floor with Mike Ashley while he’s at it.

So could the new company not transfer its assets to oldco and reinstate the trading licence and then we’d be entitled to some compensation? I’m not exactly educated with this stuff

Without going off on a tangent but if that could or did happen where would we stand re that Fat c*nt Ashley??

Author is clearly one of us given his reminder of the facts

After Rangers were liquidated in 2012 the club was voted into the bottom tier of Scottish football after a meeting of SPFL clubs.

Ten clubs voted against Gers returning to the Scottish Premiership.

Rangers relegation was not an automatic consequence of HMRC and liquidation

Rangers relegation was wilfull destruction of the club by Scottish Football on behalf of Celtic FC and the mhedia narrative created.

Who engineered the HMRC situation ?

Who then engineered the right people in charge of the SFA to see the deed done

What the %^*&?

"Oops, we didn't mean £94.4m ten years ago, we meant something like £20m. Maybe more, maybe less we didn't exactly crunch the numbers."

There needs to be an apology, a full inquiry immediately, heads need to fucking roll (with prison time dished out) and reparations/damages should be given.

This is absolute fucking insanity.

I thought we were stitched up like a kipper but this is worse than I could even envisage.

Possibly ... he has the brass neck to do so.

Murray too who might see this as a nice little earner.

From a purely personal point of view, I would love to see someone go after the SFA and SPFL in court.
I am a shareholder, an idiots guide would help.
Not fishing or anything of the like but can we go after those who destroyed out shareholding?
The RST must have held a fair block.

My over-riding emotion on reading this story is absolute, unfiltered rage.

The sequence of events that was triggered by this "innocent mistake" (what, did they forget to carry the one when working it out on their abacus?) very nearly destroyed our proud and historic club. We survived by the skin of our teeth and are still dealing with the financial repercussions on a daily basis, albeit finally looking to be edging back towards a strong position.

I really am not a conspiracy theorist by nature. But it's as clear as day now to me that the whole ordeal was pre-meditated from day 1 and a conspiracy / collusion between like-minded individuals across several prominent organisations. A scale that is so vast that it's difficult to even comprehend.

Thankfully, we have the perfect man in charge now to consider this revelation and ensure that our next steps are clear and ruthless. In King we trust.

However, I fear that the real culprits and puppet masters will never be truly brought to justice, especially not in today's current political climate where there is no appetite to review what really happened and to even express a shred of respect towards Rangers is tantamount to career suicide. I hope I'm wrong as nothing would make me happier than a full independent review and exposure of the criminality involved, with nothing short of jail terms acceptable as a result. Where the guilty parties can contemplate (between their daily buggerings) and cry over how they ended up there and didn't even succeed in completing their objective in the first place.

How the fook can anyone at HMRC " miscalculate " a tax bill by £ 50 million ? The more I read of this, the worse it gets. We were nearly destroyed for an easily manageable £ 20 million tax bill ? :(

I like many have cried real tears of frustration, anger and disbelief over their handling of this and that shocking verdict from the supreme court! I pray there is some kind of justice to be found but fear no kind will suit as to the roll on affect of this deliberate act by whoever in hmrc has had on our club!

The sequence of events that was triggered by this "innocent mistake" (what, did they forget to carry the one when working it out on their abacus?) very nearly destroyed our proud and historic club. We survived by the skin of our teeth and are still dealing with the financial repercussions on a daily basis, albeit finally looking to be edging back towards a strong position.

I really am not a conspiracy theorist by nature. But it's as clear as day now to me that the whole ordeal was pre-meditated from day 1 and a conspiracy / collusion between like-minded individuals across several prominent organisations. A scale that is so vast that it's difficult to even comprehend.

Thankfully, we have the perfect man in charge now to consider this revelation and ensure that our next steps are clear and ruthless. In King we trust.

However, I fear that the real culprits and puppet masters will never be truly brought to justice, especially not in today's current political climate where there is no appetite to review what really happened and to even express a shred of respect towards Rangers is tantamount to career suicide. I hope I'm wrong as nothing would make me happier than a full independent review and exposure of the criminality involved, with nothing short of jail terms acceptable as a result. Where the guilty parties can contemplate (between their daily buggerings) and cry over how they ended up there and didn't even succeed in completing their objective in the first place.

named, shamed then brought to justice. The least we deserve along with the massive payouts to creditors.

I imagine King will go after this big time also hopefully someone has the guts to drag it all out..... David Murray time to redeem yourself a little go after them all the taxman every compliant person and the SFA.

Another reminder of the futility of being a supporter. Just awful, although not unexpected.

At least with King at the Club, we'll know whether there is an angle for recourse.

On a personal level, there has been a lot of heartache - jobs lost, family members departed. There has to be a consequence. A HMRC 'shrug of the shoulders and apology' cannot be sufficient.

I like many have cried real tears of frustration, anger and disbelief over their handling of this and that shocking verdict from the supreme court! I pray there is some kind of justice to be found but fear no kind will suit as to the roll on affect of this deliberate act by whoever in hmrc has had on our club!
I sat on a train home from work and cried like a fùcking child at the prospect of not having Rangers to pass on to my at the time unborn son.
I remember consoling a big lad from NI in that first game after administration who seemed convinced Rangers were dying before his eyes.
We seriously need to see the scum responsible behind bars, lives destroyed to give some form of payback.
Even then, it's not enough.

If this is as it seems at first glance-
This should be appearing on the front and back of every newspaper tomorrow morning.

This is one of, if not the, biggest scandals in sporting history.

Rangers didn’t die, let alone in vain- but the bastards who tried to destroy us will.

The day we retake our place at the pinnacle of our game will be the greatest day of our lives.

Rangers FC will go on, forever and ever.

No way would a £20m tax bill have pushed us into admin. We are talking about a football club who had a squad of international footballers worth a lot of money. That summer Whyte arrived we knocked back several bids for the likes of Whittaker, Naismith and Davis. We were playing regular European football and had reduced our debt greatly in previous years. Though the most important factor is there would have been no chance for the likes of Whyte to get control of the club.

If this is as it seems at first glance-
This should be appearing on the front and back of every newspaper tomorrow morning.

This is one of, if not the, biggest scandals in sporting history.

Rangers didn’t die, let alone in vain- but the bastards who tried to destroy us will.

The day we retake our place at the pinnacle of our game will be the greatest day of our lives.

Rangers FC will go on, forever and ever.

Id say it's up there with the 50 year cover up of you know what elsewhere without wanting derail the topic.

Does this then raise interesting questions about the validity of any deals signed by the spivs?

Could the fat fucker be about to lose all his leverage on us, and have to pay back the exit fees etc?

Edit: just seen this, posted at more or less the same time:

I think it would require the newco company to disband/wind up to make this happen. If so, I think there could be broader implications for the club. I don't see it as being an easy out sadly.

Could whyte potentially sue hmrc as he was the owner at the time?

I may be wrong but don't think Whyte has a leg to stand on - when he took over he did not pay PAYE and VAT - this was what took into us into our failed CVA and subsequent liquidation.

God forbid that this c*nt ever makes a penny from this debacle,

"blunder" :rolleyes:

only one club was going to benefit from us losing our place at the top of Scottish football. We were on a run of 3 in a row, they never looked likely to take it off us so they had to ask for a favour

rest of the story writes itself. Sickening to have to read this for all we've had to go through in the last 7 years for what seems like nothing other than to allow Celtic a free shot at titles and the Champions League because they couldn't get it by themselves

1. Murray was being chased for tax against all his companies, RFC being one of them, which had the biggest tax liability according to HRMC.

2. He sold RFC to Whyte, along with contingent tax liabilities.

3. Whyte failed to pay tax and, if I remember correctly, NI contributions and subsequently applied for a CVA which was rejected.

Whyte was a f*ckin shyster - that is not in dispute.
However, Murray was under pressure from HRMC and wanted out to protect the rest of his empire.
Yes....but the size and scale of the perceived Rangers tax bill was the threat to the Murray empire that HAD to be separated. He was FORCED to sell. When any Rangers debt was serviceable.

Imagine you or I had been to a doctor and told
that we had to amputate both feet or we were going to lose both legs later on. You then find out after several years that you were forced to cut off both feet when in actual fact there had been a mistake.... All you had was an ingrown toe nail on both feet that was easily treatable. We had both feet cut off for feck all. You missed out on feck knows what since then. Somebody pays for that. Somebody pays BIG for a 'mistake' like that !

That's what I was thinking haha.

Cue an incoming HUGE boot in the Niagra Falls for the Fat Man.
This is totally under the assumption this happens though. King has been on record saying that he’d like to bring back the oldco at one point when it became a viable option (which seems like now tbh). Seems logical though if we’re entitled to a good bit of compo that way and it gets rid of Ashley. From what I’ve read, BDO feel as if liquidation is incorrect, and therefore are holding onto the papers that finalise that process as a result of what’s happened. So King could technically do it if it’s all true, or at least that’s how it sounds! Unless there’s something I’m missing entirely (but I fucking hope there isn’t) :D

Nobody makes 50m mistakes without someone noticing.

Make no mistake this was a politically motivated and concerted effort from someone in hmrc to end us.

This is the bit I don’t understand. HMRC should certainly not have made a mistake of this magnitude, but why the hell did no one from Rangers, our accountants, Duff & Phelps or BDO notice it? Does none of these highly-paid professionals have any idea how to calculate tax owed?

Put the decimal point in the wrong place. Dirty bastards.

This is the bit I don’t understand. HMRC should certainly not have made a mistake of this magnitude, but why the hell did no one from Rangers, our accountants, Duff & Phelps or BDO notice it?
It’s very difficult to believe there’s a mistake given how many court cases etc. There’s no way it was only looked at once and that figure carried all those times?

Back