Tax Officials Blamed For Rangers Downfall – HMRC Mistake Wipes Millions From Ibrox Bill (The Times)

On the other thread, started by @mdingwall I made that very point as the first response to his post. HMRC conceding on the penalties on the BTC amounted to £26m. This was, indeed, known back in June and it adds circa £1m to the Creditors pot.

I too found myself asking what has now prompted the story. What has changed? I’ve read the front page of The Times posted on here but have no access to the rest of the story on the other pages. Maybe it’s the fact that there are hints of legal action? Further concessions from HMRC?

There’s no word on the further elements BDO are disputing, though their next report should be out in early December.
The times editor says their source was credible - the wording of that would suggest this isnt just an old news story re-hashed

poets are loving it.
lady's front bottom at my work last night thinks it funnier because it didn’t need to to happen.
That's what they will say but the reality is that this will show us in more positive light as its clear we've been shafted and as for their recent titles - TAINTED. They love nothing more than to paint us as the bad guy and them the victim so cant see them being happy at this.

If only we had a fighting fund say, to take HMRC to court if this story is true. All those shareholders, bond holders etc would be due monies. Lost revenue for the club as clearly we have been wrongly been cited for debt we potentially didn't owe. Sue HMRC and let's see what happens. Nothing ventured and all that.
Fighting fund went to a youth stand, disagrees with at the time and yet when we might need it, nope

Absolutely Ridiculous Fraudulent bent f#*ks
Claw back every penny possible Rangers this is disgusting people lost jobs ,debentures.
The harm to the Rangers brand must run into tens of millions alone ...

Fighting fund went to a youth stand, disagrees with at the time and yet when we might need it, nope

It would be in Dave King's best interests to fund a legal challenge on behalf of oldco as he apparently lost 20m , he could recoup his loss and i'm sure he said in the past that oldco could be reinstated, hopefully this is the chickens coming home to roost

What a very odd thread.
On a story that HMRC may have overcharged Rangers in 2012 for tax.
The first few pages dismiss the story without considering it at all.
This tax case relates to the previous board and not to Dave King’s Rangers at all.
I say move on and let the old board claim back any over charged tax for our previous creditors

Move on? Are you having a f*cking laugh? We were kicked out of football because of this and lost hundreds of millions in revenue and assets due to it.

Every Rangers fan should be absolutely f*cking seething this morning and demanding answers.

Move on? Are you having a f*cking laugh? We were kicked out of football because of this and lost hundreds of millions in revenue and assets due to it.

Every Rangers fan should be absolutely f*cking seething this morning and demanding answers.

And we are continuing to lose revenue - thanks to Ashley, who would otherwise never have darkened our door.

Said it from the start, we had a reducing debt of £18m. That is fck all in football terms, it was manageable.

The ONLY thing that tipped us well over the edge in terms of solvency was the enormous tax bill claimed by HMRC, leaked and blogged by illegal actions of HMRC and others, and whipped onto a frenzy by a baying mob of mentally challengeds, Rangers haters and gleefully reported as widely as possible by an array of mhedia PAPErs and scum, all encouraged and emboldened by John Reid and his cronies in high places.

We were never insolvent, never over spent beyond our ability to manage our debts, never cheated and were guilty, at worst, of taking some mildly poor tax advice, which we offered to settle.

All of it motivated by hatred and vengeance. Heads must absolutely roll over this and don’t let any politicians who stuck in the boot forget us when we all vote shortly.

Last edited:
An absolute shambles. People were calling this out from way back then. It's a disgrace how HMRC have been allowed to do this

There is no doubt in my mind that this was a concerted effort to destroy us between HMRC and the Bank of Scotland. The way HMRC pursued Rangers compared with the dozens of other football clubs who operated similar schemes needs to be investigated. Murray left us open to this through structuring the Company through the rest of his group which allowed the bank to hold a gun to his head.

People forget that it was Whyte who drove us under, not EBTs it was just that the EBTs stood in the way of any credible buyer coming to the table when the banks forced Murray to sell.

We needs some real investigative journalism now so that people understand that we were the victims of this campaign. The titles won along the road to their "8 in a row" have been uncontested until now.

They tried to destroy us and they've mopped up domestic success since forcing us down, but they didn't count for the loyalty of our fanbase and winning mentality that is part of the DNA of our club. We're back competing and when we achieve success again it will taste even better than we're accustomed to.

Can someone point out if I’m missing something here. Murray sold up to Craig Whyte due to pretty much being forced by the banks due to the liabilities of the Murray Group and as such Murray would have a claim against HMRC due to the initial assessment. However in saying that at time of administration Craig Whyte owned the company so doesn’t this mean that Whyte will have a claim here too and thus could open up a completely different can of worms as surely he’ll believe he still has claim on the club which was an asset of the old company.

Waste of time. He'll want to draw a line under the whole thing and be everyone's pal.

Ally hasnt gone for them there

But was perfectly coherent and accurate and angry.

It is valuable he is now on sports radio every morning if this gathers pace and the Times work is proved to be 100% accurate.

what was the big tax bill in full that they sought? There’s suggestions the savings could be up to £50M so what figure are we talking overall and if that potential £50M was realised.

remember this list of creditors if they got a pay day now includes ticketus, HMRC for tax and non payment of NI plus penalty interest
Ticketus would never have been sold out season ticket money as Craig whyte would have been knowhere near Ibrox in the first place.
U are not getting this

HMRC wanted and quoted 134 million when it should have been 20

Personally, the only way a shitstorm happens is if our support create it and sadly I don’t see many having the appetite for it.
I think we all owe it to the likes of Sandy Jardine, who stood by the club and galvanised the support through all this. We are too quick to forgive and forget. This was the biggest witch-hunt and scandal to ever happen to a sporting institution. People must be held accountable for their actions

People forget that it was Whyte who drove us under, not EBTs it was just that the EBTs stood in the way of any credible buyer coming to the table when the banks forced Murray to sell.

Exactly.
It ALL points back to Whyte being handed the reins.
Of course, the "EBT thing" was mainly the reason that Whyte was in the picture.

The entire EBT thing was to poison the well and deter any of several likely suitors coming in and bailing us out.

As for how HMRC are now seemingly able to interpret and then reinterpret legislation, and what's not even legislation -- it's quite breathtaking.
A great example of how a well-organised group (of Rangers haters) planned and executed probably the most successful media "black ops" scheme, along with using a Government agency for their own ends, in modern British history.

I think we all owe it to the likes of Sandy Jardine, who stood by the club and galvanised the support through all this. We are too quick to forgive and forget. This was the biggest witch-hunt and scandal to ever happen to a sporting institution. People must be held accountable for their actions

we owe it to every rangers fan player past and present mate.

this must be challenged and all wrongs righted

Ally hasnt gone for them there

But was perfectly coherent and accurate and angry.

It is valuable he is now on sports radio every morning if this gathers pace and the Times work is proved to be 100% accurate.
Can you go back and listen to this?

Exactly.
It ALL points back to Whyte being handed the reins.

The entire EBT thing was to poison the well and deter any of several likely suitors coming in and bailing us out.

As for how HMRC are now seemingly able to interpret and then reinterpret legislation, and what's not even legislation -- it's quite breathtaking.
A great example of how a well-organised group (of Rangers haters) planned and executed probably the most successful media "black ops" scheme, along with using a Government agency for their own ends, in modern British history.

HMRC BLOCKED A CVA FFS

Some amount of tin hats in this thread.

The only thing we know for sure right now is that HMRC got it wrong. It's a long leap from there to a conspiracy.

Stranger things have happened of course but let's not get ahead of ourselves and deal with the news as it comes.

Ticketus would never have been sold out season ticket money as Craig whyte would have been knowhere near Ibrox in the first place.
U are not getting this

HMRC wanted and quoted 134 million when it should have been 20
Which Cosgrove and the other p rick from channel 4 shouted about on every media platform they could including the BBC

At the time there was very strong thoughts that it was a mentally challenged in a very senior HMRC position who was behind it. So it would be interesting to find out the name/s of the decision makers and their background.

HMRC BLOCKED A CVA FFS

I always thought that the old Administrators should have gone along the lines of the ones at Pompey , and completely deny the HMRC any of the EBT claim.

However, because of Whyte's deliberate running-up of the NI bill, I think HMRC still had the % to deny the CVA.

Of course, if the EBT assessment had been correct in the first place, that whole process would not have been reached.
There were a few respectable parties interested in Rangers, but not with that EBT bill hanging over our heads.

Some amount of tin hats in this thread.

The only thing we know for sure right now is that HMRC got it wrong. It's a long leap from there to a conspiracy.

Stranger things have happened of course but let's not get ahead of ourselves and deal with the news as it comes.

Except there isn't.

We are all trying to get a better understanding of this shite and questions being asked by the bucket load.

1 iffy poster does not count as some amount of tin hats.

Back