HRMC Tweet

That might be a legit HMRC account but there is no way that is an authorised tweet sent at 11.13pm.

The usual mantra is "we do not talk about individual cases"

Some mentally challenged has hacked this (or operates their social media).
Think your right. Although HMRC have behaved disgracefully towards us, this really stinks of utter unprofessionalism. We really need to go after them and find out what tims are involved inhouse in that organisation

That's a very strange tweet and not worded in a way that would make it past a properly vetted public comms manager IMHO.

There's no substance, no definition around anything. It simply reads like an angry and paper-thin denial in the form of "Fck off, naw we didnae!"

IF they were to publicly contest the reports, I would doubt very much a tweet like that would be the way they'd do it. So something isn't right there.

With such a high profile case you would have thought that they would have at least checked their figures a few times to make sure they got them right.

Unless..

4mWhxKl.png

There is definitely something odd about the time that tweet was sent. I'm not on twitter anymore, so I can't check when they're usually active on there. Tweets made from official business accounts tend to be made via third party social media management platforms, it's very unlikely someone has native access from their phone etc. And I doubt they work nightshift in the press office. Weird that it's still there too.

I think some tarried employee got carried away. That tax expert QC that ripped Tom English a new one about his lack of understanding of tax legislation has commented.

I’ve not got twitter but can someone reply to that reptile baggins tweet with would be nice if same concern was shown for child abuse as tax avoidance. I’d last 2 mins on that before being banned

I used to work for HMRC many a year ago. But when I worked everything elsewhere was online - emails, social media, websites, but not HMRC they were very old skool and was all forms and phone calls.

I know it is a few years on now but I really cant see this being from official HMRC.

I know now there is a lot more options of online updating for HMRC - tax credits, CB, tax etc but tweeting re a business tax case - no chance.

Just shows you what we are dealing with. Breaking their own procedures all the way, right down to their social media policy, just cause it's Rangers.

Reactions: afr
I used to work for HMRC many a year ago. But when I worked everything elsewhere was online - emails, social media, websites, but not HMRC they were very old skool and was all forms and phone calls.

I know it is a few years on now but I really cant see this being from official HMRC.

I know now there is a lot more options of online updating for HMRC - tax credits, CB, tax etc but tweeting re a business tax case - no chance.

It's a Twitter verified account mate.

You need to verify your address and phone number, etc. to get that blue tick. That's legit HMRC.

Good. Now HMRC are out in the open it means the debate can become public. A policy of not discussing individual cases made that near impossible. Let the public debate begin...... bring it on!

And, of course, the Times will no doubt respond with more information they have.

With such a high profile case you would have thought that they would have at least checked their figures a few times to make sure they got them right.

Unless..

Oh they checked what they were doing...

Probably borrowed Wee Nippy's shredder just after double checking too.

Surely the Hmrc statement is fake, didn’t they say earlier they don’t comment on individual cases
Yes which just highlights the corruption.

does anybody have a copy or linkto them stating they don’t comment on individual tax affairs?

There is definitely something odd about the time that tweet was sent. I'm not on twitter anymore, so I can't check when they're usually active on there. Tweets made from official business accounts tend to be made via third party social media management platforms, it's very unlikely someone has native access from their phone etc. And I doubt they work nightshift in the press office. Weird that it's still there too.

It was posted via hoot suite

It is the hypocrisy of HMRC. Earlier advising they do not comment on individual cases. Change of policy means they have opened the door to scrutiny. What did not miscalculate? They may have stretched the truth on the amount of tax owed however penalties and interest are all part of the calculations and this would constitute a miscalculation. It will be interesting to see what unfolds over the next 6 months.

Clearly been hacked, but the more concerning thing is that it was able to be hacked.

For an organisation that stores personal data about everyone in this country, an apparent lack of IT security is a huge concern.
No. Not hacked. But they and others may try and say it was.

not fake but read Keith Jackson on the DR, HMRC twisting the truth.

They never miscalculated the tax owed. But they did miscalculate the aggressive penaltys set as EBTs were legal. Hence why the demands were around £50m over the top.
If not “fake” then, surely legally questionable.
HMRC don’t comment on individual cases?
At 2300?

The post is very odd. The tone of voice, the grammar, is totally out of line with all their other communications when you scroll down their feed.

My guess: A mentally challenged on the social media team that had a rush of blood to the head, maybe after a few wines

If that account had been hacked I can assure you the tweet would've been deleted by 0901 this morning.

It may well have been posted by a mutant sober or otherwise. But the fact that you've got them infiltrating HMRC is as much of a concern as is the fact no one higher up the chain has deemed it should be deleted. They shouldn't be employed in anything relating to Her Majesty.

HMRC dont usually comment on accusations. Not like them to make an exemption here eh!!

Fuckin corrupt bastards.

Fu.ck these bastards, time for the Bears to march on Centre 1.
Nothing to do with Centre1. This would have been dealt with initially in Edinburgh by a Large Business office which handled the accounts for The Murray Group and then probably passed on to one of the Special Investigation offices in liaison with the HMRC Head Office in Whitehall, London. Because of Rangers FC's high profile this will also have been run past Treasury Ministers.

The post is very odd. The tone of voice, the grammar, is totally out of line with all their other communications when you scroll down their feed.

My guess: A mentally challenged on the social media team that had a rush of blood to the head, maybe after a few wines

I personally think its the kingpin who has had to many alcoholic units. It would make sense.

Is that really a hmrc tweet... i was always told you can only contact hmrc by phone as they dont do social media and dont send e-mails...

It's a Twitter verified account mate.

You need to verify your address and phone number, etc. to get that blue tick. That's legit HMRC.
No ones denying it’s a verified account, but the time it was sent, the fact that it was sent at all, and the actual childlike wording, would suggest it’s not come from an official source, but rather fron a bitter bastard working at the department.

Thanks mate. Definitely an official tweet from an HMRC employee in that case, the timing is still a bit weird and the tone is outrageous.
I looked at few of the tweets on their page and generally they post around 0800 but there was one at 3 in morning. I did think timing was a bit suspicious as well. They have shifted the goal posts and with comments like that they are surely open to scrutiny now

No ones denying it’s a verified account, but the time it was sent, the fact that it was sent at all, and the actual childlike wording, would suggest it’s not come from an official source, but rather fron a bitter bastard working at the department.

If that was the case, when the office opened at 9am the first thing that would be done by the marketing team would be deleting it and hauling the poster into a disciplinary

They clearly agree with it

That tweet, assuming it is genuine, is exactly what I’d expect HMRC to say. However, before releasing the story and the likely ramifications, the Times’ editor will have taken legal advice and must feeel he/she is on strong ground. Let it play out and see if HMRC are still keeping the same line once the facts come out.

Latest posts

Back