Nathan Patterson - The Athletic

MSF

Great article on probably our best youth product right now.

[/URL]

This bit is very good to hear:
“Sort through the positions in the Rangers squad and you will now be able to name a strong regular starter and an able deputy at each spot. The one player who has been without a recognisable challenger is James Tavernier. It is understood that Patterson is being primed as his direct competitor for the start of next season.”

[/URL]

“Sort through the positions in the Rangers squad and you will now be able to name a strong regular starter and an able deputy at each spot. The one player who has been without a recognisable challenger is James Tavernier. It is understood that Patterson is being primed as his direct competitor for the start of next season.”

The good thing is that if The Athletic are saying it, it's true.

Club are giving them great access and it's certainly better than seeing the S*n and the likes getting the "exclusive"

The good thing is that if The Athletic are saying it, it's true.

Club are giving them great access and it's certainly better than seeing the S*n and the likes getting the "exclusive"
Yep, the club are clearly comfortable giving them bits of info. Hope that relationship grows stronger.

He was outstanding on Saturday before having to come off injured. He actually reminded me of Tav the way he drove the attacks.

[/URL]

Your information is absolutely spot on mate.

Have PMd you.

None of this will matter if Patterson doesn't sign a new deal, unfortunately.

Also, if he is being primed as Tav's backup, then it means the end of Flanagan and Polster.
For me, this is preferable. We have to see these lads coming through soon.
What's happening with Jordan Houston? Is he a full back as well?

For me, this is preferable. We have to see these lads coming through soon.
What's happening with Jordan Houston? Is he a full back as well?
Preferable for me too, we haven't seen anything from those guys to indicate that they're anything other than pathway blockers.

Houston is on loan out at Ayr. He'll be 20 in January. If an 18 year old is above him in the pecking order then the writing is on the wall.

Preferable for me too, we haven't seen anything from those guys to indicate that they're anything other than pathway blockers.

Houston is on loan out at Ayr. He'll be 20 in January. If an 18 year old is above him in the pecking order then the writing is on the wall.
Possibly, or it might spur him on? I noticed Murty is quoted as saying " we need to build Pattersons body". What's your thoughts on Nathan physically?

Also, if he is being primed as Tav's backup, then it means the end of Flanagan and Polster.
What's the situation with his contract? Are other clubs sniffing about?

Possibly, or it might spur him on? I noticed Murty is quoted as saying " we need to build Pattersons body". What's your thoughts on Nathan physically?
I haven't seen enough of the kid to make a judgement on his build mate, others will be best placed to answer that.

I would be interested to know what kind of frame he has though. Players with bigger frames put mass on much easier and carry it better than players with smaller frames. Your frame will limit just how much you can expand.

We would need a third choice, but I'm not sure Flanagan would stick around to be third choice.

Hopefully Nathan signs a new deal, however he might look at how well Billy Gilmour is doing and go down that route if it's an option.

It's good to see us making this move to using the youth players instead of paying a higher wage to the likes of Flanagan to be nothing more than back up.

We could lose 5 guys from the 1st team squad and not really notice them gone when we could put the likes of Mayo, Barjonas and Patterson in to the matchday squad even if they're not going to feature in the 18.

Halliday, Polster, Flanagan, Andy King and Docherty really aren't required at this stage. Even if they're on £4k a week each, that's 20k that could be used from a serious first team starter and all their positions can be taken up by three or four youth products.

We would need a third choice, but I'm not sure Flanagan would stick around to be third choice.

Hopefully Nathan signs a new deal, however he might look at how well Billy Gilmour is doing and go down that route if it's an option.
We don't really need a third choice right back IMO. Tavernier is one of the most reliable players we have in terms of injuries, and if we were in a major pinch Ryan Jack can cover there for a half-hour or so.

Ideally, our RB depth in the summer looks like:
1. Tavernier
2. Patterson
3. Jack

Take the money saved on Flanagan and Polsters wages and spend it elsewhere. That's what bringing through good youth prospects allows you to do.

I haven't seen enough of the kid to make a judgement on his build mate, others will be best placed to answer that.

I would be interested to know what kind of frame he has though. Players with bigger frames put mass on much easier and carry it better than players with smaller frames. Your frame will limit just how much you can expand.
Cheers, Murtys comments suggest they see him as being capable of building Nathan up. Exciting times for our youngsters.

We don't really need a third choice right back IMO. Tavernier is one of the most reliable players we have in terms of injuries, and if we were in a major pinch Ryan Jack can cover there for a half-hour or so.

1. Tavernier
2. Patterson
3. Jack

Take the money saved on Flanagan and Polsters wages and spend it elsewhere. That's what bringing through good youth prospects allows you to do.
I would be tempted to give Flanagan another year as he is good cover for both full back positions. Polster appears to be well down the pecking order.

1. Tavernier
2. Patterson
3. Jack

See your point and three may be a bit much. Ryan Jack will likely be our first pick midfielder so I would be surprised if they consider him back up for RB even though he can cover there.

I suppose it's not a problem position so if we are looking to save money we will be happy to go with two natural RB in the squad.

If he's from an Armed Forces background as some folk on here have said, you'd be inclined to think he'll have the genes to be capable of becoming a big strong laddie.
Cheers for your information. I look forward to seeing this lads progressing to the first team.

On another note, it would be really, really great if RangersTV started to show full matches of the youth games so we could get a proper look at these boys. It's tough to evaluate them purely from highlights packages, and there are some of us that can't actually attend the youth team games.

@Greg Marshall I know it was included in the fan survey as a potential option for a membership scheme - is there any word on how the membership scheme is progressing and whether RTV coverage of youth games would be included?

1. Tavernier
2. Patterson
3. Jack

I think Polster hasn't looked too bad when he's had a few minutes here and there.

Tav doesn't really get injured and as captain rarely dropped so its tricky to know how good anyone else is in that spot.

McRorie seems to be doing better as a RB at Portsmouth than CDM also.

Not a position I'm worried about

It's good to see us making this move to using the youth players instead of paying a higher wage to the likes of Flanagan to be nothing more than back up.

We could lose 5 guys from the 1st team squad and not really notice them gone when we could put the likes of Mayo, Barjonas and Patterson in to the matchday squad even if they're not going to feature in the 18.

Halliday, Polster, Flanagan, Andy King and Docherty really aren't required at this stage. Even if they're on £4k a week each, that's 20k that could be used from a serious first team starter and all their positions can be taken up by three or four youth products.

I agree with you right now. Middle and back we've actually been relatively lucky with injuries so far and not relied on the fringe. Come end of the season might be different though. If Borna got injured the week before the cup final would you rather Flanagan or one of the young crop came in?

I would be tempted to give Flanagan another year as he is good cover for both full back positions. Polster appears to be well down the pecking order.
I'm not so sure - I think our backups need to be capable of replicating our style of play. If Flanagan has to come in for Tavernier, we'd have to change the entire way we play because funnelling a high volume of our build up through a guy that isn't very good at progressing the ball through the pitch probably isn't going to be successful.

I think Polster hasn't looked too bad when he's had a few minutes here and there.

Tav doesn't really get injured and as captain rarely dropped so its tricky to know how good anyone else is in that spot.

McRorie seems to be doing better as a RB at Portsmouth than CDM also.

Not a position I'm worried about
That's another good point - McCrorie seems to be a better RB than a centre-mid at the moment. He's probably the third option instead of Ryan Jack if he sticks around. But I'm not convinced that he will.

Oh no, how will we cope?
I will not shed many tears, I can promise you that.

We're still operating at a deficit compared to Celtic when it comes to wages. We have to make our pounds go further than theirs do. The best way of doing that is by bringing young players through, because they're cheap, valuable and you get a high level of performance from them. The money you save on experienced pro's can then be put into other areas of the team and raise the overall standard of the squad.

That's why it's so maddening when folk say that this season is "too important" to use youth players in. Using youth players actually gets you a better overall standard of squad.

I agree with you right now. Middle and back we've actually been relatively lucky with injuries so far and not relied on the fringe. Come end of the season might be different though. If Borna got injured the week before the cup final would you rather Flanagan or one of the young crop came in?

Right now, probably Flanagan as we try to get our first trophy since we came back up the leagues. That has to change though.

The entire mindset has to change and it would help get fees for certain players who, while they maybe don't make it with us to Alan Hutton levels, can show they can perform at a certain level.

There has to come a point where you just accept that you can't have a squad of 22 senior pros with 11 of them waiting in the wings for an injury.

Also, we now appear to have a youth setup actually capable of producing players capable of performing in this role.

I will not shed many tears, I can promise you that.

We're still operating at a deficit compared to Celtic when it comes to wages. We have to make our pounds go further than theirs do. The best way of doing that is by bringing young players through, because they're cheap, valuable and you get a high level of performance from them. The money you save on experienced pro's can then be put into other areas of the team and raise the overall standard of the squad.

That's why it's so maddening when folk say that this season is "too important" to use youth players in. Using youth players actually gets you a better overall standard of squad.
Very true, nothing would give me more joy than seeing some of own coming through the ranks and holding their own in a successful Rangers team. Ultimately we need to run a gold-standard youth programme alongside a "buy low sell high" player acquisition system. We will sell Morelos for tens of millions, but we need to have the next Morelos either scouted or about to break through from the youth ranks.

Shamefully I don't know enough about our own youth players to say who could make it in the short to medium term. If there are players who are both talented enough and have the right mentality to cope with the enormous pressure of a traditional, tight Scottish title race then they should be given a chance, but that is a decision for the manager with the advice of those who know the players like Murty. In the long term, from what I have heard and seen, we are going about things the right way.

As a side note, if and when we start bringing our own lads into the first team, anyone shouting anything but encouragement from the stands should be chucked out and told not to come back.

If Patterson turns out as good as hoped then maybe it's Tav who moves on. The lad has to get a regular game if he is to fulfil his potential. He cannot do that playing only the odd game when Tav is injured. It's the sort of tough decision we pay management good money to make.

Not good. The worry is he ends up another Billy Gilmour. I take it we've offered him a new deal?

The boy and his family bleed red white and blue mate and I mean real fans, not fake ones who'd happily sign for the mentally challengeds, if the money was right.

He's desperate to stay and Gerrard rates him very highly, so that's a good base for negotiators I'd say.

Back