Man U 70s Scottish players

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
The most famous were Macari, Morgan, and McCalliog.

The latter went down south as kids. Any bears there? I think I can dismiss Macari!! Law was a bear but left in 71.

Pat Crerand. John Fitzpatrick, Francis Burns, don't think they were Bears though.

Ted McDougal, Jim Holton, George Graham, and Stewart Houston

The latter went down south as kids. Any bears there? I think I can dismiss Macari!! Law was a bear but left in 71.

Denis Law was still playing for Man Utd in 1973.

Apart from a Goalkeeper, they had Scots in every position in the 1970's.

Fitzpatrick.....McQueen......Buchan............Albiston

Morgan...........Crerand........G.Graham........Macari

............................Jordan............Law

Subs. Houston, Holton, Ure, Forsyth, Burns, McCalliog, McDougal

This basically explains why the Scotland team are crap.

Before they started filling their teams with foreign players, they had Scots playing at a high level regularly.

Now there's hardly a Scot in the Premier League.

Before they started filling their teams with foreign players, they had Scots playing at a high level regularly.

And only, astonishingly, 1 scot managing in the top 2 divisions.

Joe Jordan, Jim Holton?

Edit.... A bit late to the party I see.

And only, astonishingly, 1 scot managing in the top 2 divisions.

Think of all the international Scots in the Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham Forest teams as well as Man U.

There were also some at Chelsea, Aston Villa, Spurs or Everton.

Now where do we get them? WBA, Hull and the like.

While teams like Man U now scout on a global rather than British & Irish basis, the inescapable fact is that Scotland produced players of a much higher quality in those days.

While teams like Man U now scout on a global rather than British & Irish basis, the inescapable fact is that Scotland produced players of a much higher quality in those days.
Pele himself said that Scotland during his playing days were only second to Brazil in producing naturally skilled players.

I grew up watching football down here with teams full of Scottish players.
Much of the top teams had two or three in their sides...Utd in the 2nd division even.

Liverpool in the 60's , 70's & 80's without their Scottish contingent?

Pele himself said that Scotland during his playing days were only second to Brazil in producing naturally skilled players.

So, why did it stop?

Busier streets, green spaces and pitches getting built on, parents not allowing children to go out and play (If they wanted to), the demise of BB and school football, even parents being too busy to play with their children...

I grew up in an era when every spare minute was spent playing football. At playtime, at lunchtime, in the evenings and at week-ends. We even got double games at school. The ground where I played is now houses, a college and a hospital.

Think of all the international Scots in the Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham Forest teams as well as Man U.

There were also some at Chelsea, Aston Villa, Spurs or Everton.

Now where do we get them? WBA, Hull and the like.
This argument is majorly skewed by the fact the current EPL draws its players from every corner of the world. Some of the names mentioned on this thread were indeed wonderful players, however many would not have had the chance if player recruitment had been as widespread as it is now.

This argument is majorly skewed by the fact the current EPL draws its players from every corner of the world. Some of the names mentioned on this thread were indeed wonderful players, however many would not have had the chance if player recruitment had been as widespread as it is now.

Aye, and if the likes of Bill Brown, Dave McKay, John White, Charlie Cooke, Eddie McCreadie, Pat Crerand, Denis Law, Willie Morgan, Ron Yeats, Ian St John, Alan Gilzean, Frank McLintock, Billy Bremner, Eddie Gray, Peter Lorimer, Gordon McQueen, Martin Buchan, Joe Jordan, Archie Gemmill, John Robertson, Kenny Burns, Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness, and Kenny Dalglish,
to name a couple of dozen,
never had the chance South of the border, and remained in Scotland,
then Scottish clubs might well have dominated Europe from the mid 60's to the early 80's.

Aye, and if the likes of Bill Brown, Dave McKay, John White, Charlie Cooke, Eddie McCreadie, Pat Crerand, Denis Law, Willie Morgan, Ron Yeats, Ian St John, Alan Gilzean, Frank McLintock, Billy Bremner, Eddie Gray, Peter Lorimer, Gordon McQueen, Martin Buchan, Joe Jordan, Archie Gemmill, John Robertson, Kenny Burns, Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness, and Kenny Dalglish,
to name a couple of dozen,
never had the chance South of the border, and remained in Scotland,
then Scottish clubs might well have dominated Europe from the mid 60's to the early 80's.
Dominated? I doubt it, however you do have a point it would certainly have increased our chances. I can play the list game as well though, Riverra, Di Stefano, Puskas, Altofini, Muller, Hoeness, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Rep, Van Hanegem, Mazzola the list is endless. The notion that players of that calibre plying their trade in England not diluting the amount of Scottish players is fanciful.

So, why did it stop?

Busier streets, green spaces and pitches getting built on, parents not allowing children to go out and play (If they wanted to), the demise of BB and school football, even parents being too busy to play with their children...

I grew up in an era when every spare minute was spent playing football. At playtime, at lunchtime, in the evenings and at week-ends. We even got double games at school. The ground where I played is now houses, a college and a hospital.
By double games, I assume you mean multiple games on same pitch? It was this at my school that enabled me to read the game as well as I did and then find the space on the field.

Slightly off topic but Man U always got great players from Northern Ireland who,if we word it this way would be Rangers minded.
Why did we miss out on guys like Whiteside,Nicholl, Gillespie and more modern players like McNair?
Was it a scouting issue or down to the George Best connection and young guys just wanting to follow in his footsteps?

Joe Jordan
[/QUOTE
Dominated? I doubt it, however you do have a point it would certainly have increased our chances. I can play the list game as well though, Riverra, Di Stefano, Puskas, Altofini, Muller, Hoeness, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Rep, Van Hanegem, Mazzola the list is endless. The notion that players of that calibre plying their trade in England not diluting the amount of Scottish players is fanciful.
Six different country’s there bud.The above were all Scottish,and about half
were world class at the time.

As others have said, while there has undoubtedly been a decline in Scottish talent, the EPL is a world all-stars league. The old English First Division was a British closed shop. The English Championship is more like its successor. Plenty of international players play there too, of course, and at that level and lower/mid EPL we don't do to badly, compared to other nations of our size. We lack the true superstars of course (except Andy Robertson?). But to be honest there are plenty in the Man U list above that wouldn't enhance even this Scotland squad much and they certainly wouldn't thrive in the modern EPL.

Apart from the poor quality of native Scottish players there’s also a drop in the quality of the English guys who use Scotland to get capped.
Used to be genuinely good players like Goram and McCall, now we have McBurnie and Palmer.

I remember a period in the 70s when Man U used to play an average of 8 Scots in their team. Not surprised that during that period they were nicknamed Mac United.

John Fitzpatrick
Jimmy Ryan
Ian Donald
Willie Watson
Alex Forsyth
Stewart Houston
George Buchan
Steve Paterson

I remember Jimmy Ryan born in Stirling, at United for about 6/7 years in the sixties. He never played that many times (George Best).

On the Coaching staff for about 20 years.

Back