Will we qualify for the Round of 32 in Europe?

That "Three way tie " scenario someone here pointed out scares me. If we , YB and Porto are tied on 10 we could go out. We might need 4 more points to go through

Last edited:
I think we will:

Lose narrowly in Rotterdam (new manager effect)

Win at home to Young Boys (they looked an average side)

Hopefully that will be enough.

I hope so, we're in a cracking position to do so.

After the Young Boys game, I was of the opinion we wouldn't, I couldn't see us taking 4 points off Porto and actually being gutted we didn't take 6.

My thoughts too. I thought we'd be lucky to pick up 2 points at home and none away. We've already banked 4 and I'll be seriously disapointed if we dont get through.

If the next round matches end in draws we've made it.

YB'S to Beat Porto and we'll get at least a point in Rotterdam.

Hate all these predicting threads but have a feeling the Group will be done n dusted after Matchday 5. Then it's a game for 1st & 2nd place on Matchday 6.

Hopefully Young Boys will beat Porto and we can take something in Rotterdam but I still think we will need 4 points to qualify.

How could we go out when we have a better head to head v Porto ?

Would only happen if we lost to YB's but Beat Feyenoord and Porto won their last 2 to take them and Us and YB's to 10 points.

Some people are saying we would have lost a Head to Head with YB'S but would win the Porto Head to Head but on the basis them having a better Head to Head with YB's they'd trump us.

I argued with them saying frankly that's pish. How could a team we've taken 4 points from put us out cause they've a better Head to Head versus the 3rd team ie YB's.

I think we will. The group is so tight but we have nothing to fear. 1 good performance from our final 2 games should be enough to get us over the line. Ok it means more games but also more cash and a bit more prestige as well.

Would only happen if we lost to YB's but Beat Feyenoord and Porto won their last 2 to take them and Us and YB's to 10 points.

Some people are saying we would have lost a Head to Head with YB'S but would win the Porto Head to Head but on the basis them having a better Head to Head with YB's they'd trump us.

I argued with them saying frankly that's pish. How could a team we've taken 4 points from put us out cause they've a better Head to Head versus the 3rd team ie YB's.
Wouldn't it come down to goal difference in that case. Basically we'd have to beat young boys by one goal for this scenario to happen, and they would have to score at least one at Ibrox. Odds are slim, but not impossible. I might be making a lot of that up to be fair.

If this scenario happens, the results against Feyenoord are discounted, so it effectively becomes a three-team group to determine qualification.

We'd have one win and one draw - four points
Porto would have 7 points - two wins v YB and one draw vs us
YB would have six points - two wins vs us

That's why we'd go out in that scenario. But it's still very unlikely.

I think so, unless we completely collapse. Which is something I just can't imagine under Gerrard, he knows what is needed.

Wouldn't it come down to goal difference in that case. Basically we'd have to beat young boys by one goal for this scenario to happen, and they would have to score at least one at Ibrox. Odds are slim, but not impossible. I might be making a lot of that up to be fair.

It goes to a mini group apparently. So scores against the two others we'd have 4 points ie against Porto. They'd have 7 points from YB'S and Us. YB's would have 6 so both their points trumps ours.

Or so that's how I understood it.

Utter shambles we could take 4/6 points against the Top Seed in the group but get pumped out for them beating the possibly the Weakest team and us losing twice to them as well.

If this scenario happens, the results against Feyenoord are discounted, so it effectively becomes a three-team group to determine qualification.

We'd have one win and one draw - four points
Porto would have 7 points - two wins v YB and one draw vs us
YB would have six points - two wins vs us

That's why we'd go out in that scenario. But it's still very unlikely.

That's how I understood it. Frankly that's scandalous if that happens.

We get 4/6 points against the Top Seeds but on the basis of them beating the Weakest team twice they go through at our Expense. Utter nonsense.

That's how I understood it. Frankly that's scandalous if that happens.

We get 4/6 points against the Top Seeds but on the basis of them beating the Weakest team twice they go through at our Expense. Utter nonsense.
It's been used in European football for decades. Most famously, for determining the second place teams eligible for World Cup qualification.

Like I said, I think there's a very small chance of this event actually occuring (<5%)

It's been used in European football for decades. Most famously, for determining the second place teams eligible for World Cup qualification.

Like I said, I think there's a very small chance of this event actually occuring (<5%)

Still think it's a scandal.

Suppose it's to avoid instances like Scotland going out of the 1974 on GD after Yugoslavia annihilated Zaire in the last game to knock us out.

Still think it's a scandal.

Suppose it's to avoid instances like Scotland going out of the 1974 on GD after Yugoslavia annihilated Zaire in the last game to knock us out.
It's a much better system than goal difference IMO, precisely because of the example you have there.

And I'm very confident that we'll do the business against Young Boys at Ibrox. Folk have forgotten just how bad they were in Bern.

It goes to a mini group apparently. So scores against the two others we'd have 4 points ie against Porto. They'd have 7 points from YB'S and Us. YB's would have 6 so both their points trumps ours.

Or so that's how I understood it.

Utter shambles we could take 4/6 points against the Top Seed in the group but get pumped out for them beating the possibly the Weakest team and us losing twice to them as well.
If we lose twice to the weakest team we probably don't deserve to go through.

I'd be gutted if we don't get through now and the extra revenue & prize money will clearly be huge for the club.

I came into this group with low expectations but we're proven we're good enough and I'd like to see us progress and test ourselves against some even bigger and better teams.

Back