Aribo, what is he giving us?

He is still a very good skilful player and like Barisic he needs a bit of time to get used to our hectic football. Looks better in the European game.

Last edited:
He's a talented creative player with a great touch who's been asked to play further back, in order to shoehorn in a terrible Scott Arfield.

Aribo wouldn’t be suited to Arfields role, at all, he’s a central midfielder.

He has looked good at times but just now he isnt showing why SG should pick him.

Hes reminding me of Ejaria at the moment and we know he is a few levels above him.

The European games is where he will shine his most I think.

And he was praised for that performance.

For every good performance though, there’s been numerous average/poor ones though

It’s a fans forum you do realise that, yes? Players will be praised and equally criticised when merited.

The team is performing well overall but that doesn’t mean every single player is contributing positively on a regular basis hence why they’ll come in for criticism.

You’re more sensitive than a woman when it comes to anyone daring to criticise a player

Stop it, everything is rosie.

9/10 for every player at the moment.

We need to ensure that we have a team who are all pitching in not hiding and we are allowed to criticise it's what we do best.

He's not playing great just now but we need to give him time to settle as there's clearly a player in there.
Also I get he criticism of Arfield as he's been poor this season but i'm putting it down to he's out of position as he's not a right winger.

Stop it, everything is rosie.

9/10 for every player at the moment.

We need to ensure that we have a team who are all pitching in not hiding and we are allowed to criticise it's what we do best.
Just how much more did you expect up until this point ?

Joint top of the league

In a cup final

2 games left with a great chance of qualifying in europe

9 points better off in the league

Is there any need for sarcastic digs ?

I honestly think some people on here expect to win every single game 4 or 5 - 0

We had the same chat on here after the 1 - 0 win v Livi then we went on a great run playing great football

He has looked good at times but just now he isnt showing why SG should pick him.

Hes reminding me of Ejaria at the moment and we know he is a few levels above him.

The European games is where he will shine his most I think.

How do you define "just now" exactly?

He scored a cracking goal and played well in our last game against livi. Hate this place at times, some "fans" would rather be right and see a Rangers player fail than be wrong and see them do well.

I would like to see him in the Arfield role

Scott needs some time on the bench

He played there in the mentally challengeds game at Ibrox albeit on the left hand side and it didn't work out. Without doubt his best position is the one he is currently in and we don't play with a recognized number 10 so I can't see any formation change to accommodate a change of role for Aribo.

How do you define "just now" exactly?

He scored a cracking goal and played well in our last game against livi. Hate this place at times, some "fans" would rather be right and see a Rangers player fail than be wrong and see them do well.

That's exactly what it is we want every player to fail.

He's really hit or miss in league games if the tempo quick and physical he really struggles which is strange as he has ability but just cant impose himself in those games.

Half out support clearly haven't learned from Barasic which was only a matter of weeks ago!

barisic was rightly getting criticism as his performances last season were very poor, wouldnt you agree?

i wouldnt be playing aribo v the mentally challengeds, not involved enough at times but id play him in european games and against spl dross.

That's exactly what it is we want every player to fail.

Seems like it when you ignore the good things he's contributed, much like you're ignoring the main point of my post.

Like I said he scored a screame and played well one game ago - that's why Gerrard picks him.

Last edited:
A lot of the criticism of Aribo seems to stem from the belief that he was a multi million pound talent that everyone and their dog was after and that he’s resultantly on a mega bucks deal with us.

I don’t think either are true and if we step back a little we see that he’s actually just a youngish guy who has gone from playing League 1 football in front of 10,000 people at a small club like Charlton to playing for a genuinely massive British footballing institution like Rangers where 50,000 turn up expecting you to win every game.

For me he always looked like one for the future.

I said at the time I wasn’t sure that’s what we needed, but anyone expecting him to be the finished article is being 1) unfair, and 2) deluded.

Seems like it when you ignore the good things he's contributed, much like you're ignoring the main point of my post.

Like I said he scored a screamer he scorer a screamer and played well one game ago - that's why Gerrard picks him.

He will have 1 good game in 3/4.

We need players to turn up every game, if he wants to play every week.

He wont oust Davis or Jack. So basically he has one position to fight over and I would pick Kamara over him on current form.

The problem I have with him is I don't have a clue what type of player he is.Is he a holding midfielder? Is he a BoxTo box midfielder,Is he a playmaker,is he a "number10" I simply couldn't tell you ,and I'm beginning to wonder if the coaching staff know either.He said in an interview when he signed he modelled his game on Yaya Toure.Hmmmmm

We're doing quite well playing with 9 men. And then you have Tav not being a captain, cowardly and non defending and Goldsons being rubbish, Defoe offering nothing if he doesn't score.
Not to mention Ojo! :eek::eek::eek:
Its a wonder we're in the top six.

I don't know if this place is worse after a defeat or a win when we haven't been great.
FF is never happy, yesterday there were posts criticising Tav, Goldson, Helander, Aribo and Arfield, that’s almost half the team that people thought were crap, Lord knows how we managed to win. :oops:

We have had loads of Aribo's over the years, technically gifted with pace but either strength or consistency or both let them down. Aribo has the strength but has yet to show he can turn up every game. Ojo is the same. On their day they can change games but they are at an age (23 and 22 respectively) where they need to step up to the plate more than they do. There is no hiding place at Rangers. Hopefully SG can improve both this season.

Very few of our players deserve pass marks for the 2nd half yesterday, big Joe was nowhere near our worst player but seems to have “blame hound” status amongst some of our support.

FWIW, I think we have a very good player in Joe Arizona, and he will prove it given time.

Beside the fact we are playing him out of position i think he will take time to adjust. He played as the 10 just behind the striker for charlton and ive been ranting on here for weeks he should be playing there for us not Arfield!

He is going to be a great player for us. Happy to give him time. I notice though that he seems to have lost that thing he had at the start of the season where no one could get the ball off him. Seems to lose possession quite a bit.

We have had loads of Aribo's over the years, technically gifted with pace but either strength or consistency or both let them down. Aribo has the strength but has yet to show he can turn up every game. Ojo is the same. On their day they can change games but they are at an age (23 and 22 respectively) where they need to step up to the plate more than they do. There is no hiding place at Rangers. Hopefully SG can improve both this season.

Players don't tend to find a consistent level until they hit that 26 to 28 age range though.

A lot of this sort of criticism was aimed at players like Naismith, Thomson, Whittaker, Edu - even Barry Ferguson and Neil McCann during the Advocaat years. There are obviously exceptions, but it's pretty natural for someone in Aribo's position to be inconsistent given his age, experience and time at the club.

I think we're a bit unfair overall when it comes to what we demand from this group of players.

At times creativity and goals.

At others, not much.

Need to be better but it will come.
I don't think he made a misplaced pass yesterday or lost the ball, however, he is playing within himself and perhaps frightened to make an error.
He does need to be braver on the ball and he does need to turn forward in possession rather than backwards.
This will no doubt come and it is clear that he is concerned more with playing an error-free game in possession rather than his normal more adventurous one.
To say he had a poor game yesterday in a team performance that was below par seems to be rather unfair.

The problem I have with him is I don't have a clue what type of player he is.Is he a holding midfielder? Is he a BoxTo box midfielder,Is he a playmaker,is he a "number10" I simply couldn't tell you ,and I'm beginning to wonder if the coaching staff know either.He said in an interview when he signed he modelled his game on Yaya Toure.Hmmmmm

He's a box to box midfielder and usually makes runs into the box that what he was doing for Charlton and he wasn't afraid of doing the dirty work either.

He does seem to be holding back at the moment in terms of driving into the box or making late runs.

I honestly think the 100mph physical style up here at the moment isn't suited to his style of play. It may take more time for him to adjust that's why Kamara has started ahead of him even in European games.

In Scotland football demands that you know how to go to war. It seems to me Aribo and Ojo have still to understand this. They don’t go mad to retrieve the ball after losing it or bust a gut to get back. You really have to care enough to refuse to accept any form of defeat to cut it at Rangers. Talent isn’t enough. Ryan Kent is a perfect example of a winger with the talent but also the heart.

I can’t get my head around these constant threads being critical of individuals in the team. If a player is not an 8 out of 10 every week they are copping it. We’ve had a brilliant start to the season, we are still competing in every competition we’ve entered and are generally a good team to watch too.

I’m not sure where people’s expectations are but they are at best unrealistic and at work completely ludicrous. I wonder if Liverpool fans are on every week saying Henderson offers us nothing, Salah isn’t cutting it and needs dropped or Alexander Arnold might offer a lot going forward but he can’t defend. A good manager doesn’t bomb players for a few 6/10 performances when they trust them. It’s laughable to think some were being critical and demanding Kai Kennedy gets a chance. This same individuals would want him out the team after his first average performance.

It has been a big step up from being under no pressure at Charlton to playing for Rangers, competing in Europe and making his start in international football. Give him time as you do not become a top class footballer overnight.

Neither Aribo or Arfield are offering enough of late. That's why, if everyone is fit, I'd have Kent, Morelos and Jones in attack and a midfield three of Davis, Jack and Kamara.
Don't fancy either Aribo or Ojo in the cup final,Arfield as well you don't know if he's going to turn up. We can't afford any passengers.

Further to my post where I suggested he lacked fighting qualities, I should have said I’m pretty confident he’ll acquire a little more of this as time goes on and make a real contribution as a Gers player. He already has the ability.

He has the talent but passes responsibility to others with an easy pass. Needs to stop passing the buck.

He seems to me like a confidence player, which is understandable given his age and the fact he has just up and moves to a new home.

The talent is undeniable. If he starts a game well then you normally see him pushing on from there, but if his first few minutes don't go to plan it seems to maybe knock him off his game a little bit. He will come good and he deserves everyone's time. He isn't exactly playing awful in these games.

I also think the system he is sometimes playing is doesn't help him, I prefer him starting further forward but Gerrard obviously won't want to upset a working system to accommodate one player.

This time last year Barasic was getting this treatment. Sometimes guys just take time to settle especially at a club like ours.
Barasic was getting absolute dogs abuse at rugby park at the start of the season.
Fans really are an embarrassment at times

Just keep in mind that Barasic took time to adjust to Scottish football too.

You could also keep in mind how many have failed to settle or adjust.

Just because some people take time to settle or adjust, doesn't mean that's always the reason.

When he first signed it looked like we were getting someone very comfortable on the ball and happy to make a tackle, the contrast from his first month to now is quite sizeable.

My biggest take away so far this season was the old firm game where he was bullied almost everytime he got the ball. Throwing him into a cup final or away game at parkhead would have me fairly concerned.

Who knows, he may kick on and have a stormer against them next time around. There's certainly question marks around him at present though.

Another player bashing thread!!! See the threads from last season regarding Barisic. He is young and will come good. You can see from glimpses that he has it.

Joint top of the league,in final of League Cup and on the brink of qualifying for last 32 of EL and yet these threads keep appearing.
Aye it's hard to see what (insert random name) brings...

Lets give him some time to settle before the pitch forks come out.

Also its not realistic to expect all 11 players every week to be playing amazing, i agree though he needs to offer more but he does have the ability so i am confident it will come if we just get off the kids back.

Arfield certainly needs dropped and hopefully Jones can take that position even though i know he prefers the left side.

I agree, give him time. He's had a fair crack at getting time playing so far hence people asking what he's offering as it's been a inconsistent offering from him.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember you saying Coulibaly and Aribo were different class.

Whilst they could turn out to be, I think the same token of giving it time to let him settle could be used to see if they can do it over a period of time rather than watch them in two or three games and be impressed then jump to conclusions.

Latest posts

Back