Aribo, what is he giving us?

I was banned for a fortnight for previous comments on Aribo (and Ojo).

Let's just say I don't thinks he's either good enough or committed enough for our team.

Everyone likes a moan, but how does the personal negativity help the player, the team and the overall support? If its not Joe this week its someone else, we need to be focusing on the positives. Players are going to contribute in different ways throughout the season. Joe's strengths are his forward runs at the moment he is sacrificing that to allow Borna to bomb forward. I had given up on Borna, but he has proved me wrong due to his desire to be better, just perhaps we are equally at fault of premature judgements.

We need to learn to give players time to settle down. Wasn't long ago Borna was being pilloried on here on a near daily basis and to a disgusting degree as well. The player with the 'heart of a mouse' sure is making some posters (or should I say roasters) on here eat crow.

He's not been bad by any stretch. Struggles to impact matches and is possibly guilty of playing it overly safe at times. His international and European form suggests to me he's adapting to how our league opposition chooses to play it's football. I've not once thought he looked out of place or woeful in the side. Not playing with that swagger he had it Charlton yet, but I'm willing to give him and our coaching staff the time to do the job.

Just needs time to settle. Once he is bedded in, I hope we will see him start to dominate games. I think he could be a top player for us.

Borna, Glen, Shey, Scott now Joe.

Some fans will only be happy with 100% success from every player in every match.

We're Rangers, that's the target we aim for here.

It's a harsh environment of expectation for any player to come here and succeed as many have found long before Aribo. Personally speaking I think his languid style is being misinterpreted as lack of urgency or effort even and that's understandable. I think that's the crux of people's concerns. What's absolutely certain is the big fella has to come to terms with the demands placed on his shoulders now he is here.
I've confidence Gerrard and his coaching team are working hard to make sure he gets that into his head but it doesn't happen instantly for some players and Aribo looks like one of those players.

Its a shame we're having such a poor season what with all these shit players FF is writing off after every win, I mean its not as though he scored and played well in the game before the break or anything #Gerrardout
Yes, these empty jerseys are doing not to bad.

We're Rangers, that's the target we aim for here.

It's a harsh environment of expectation for any player to come here and succeed as many have found long before Aribo. Personally speaking I think his languid style is being misinterpreted as lack of urgency or effort even and that's understandable. I think that's the crux of people's concerns. What's absolutely certain is the big fella has to come to terms with the demands placed on his shoulders now he is here.
I've confidence Gerrard and his coaching team are working hard to make sure he gets that into his head but it doesn't happen instantly for some players and Aribo looks like one of those players.
Targets are supposed to be realistic and achievable though.
This idea that only 100% is acceptable is more a hinderance than a quality.

He was tactically hindered. We deliberately pushed Barisic very high to stretch Hamilton which resulted in Aribo being sacrificed via having to drop deep to cover. This was needed particularly as they played 2 up top.

Vs County & Livingston he was further forward & didn't need to do this.

Despite this, there is no excuse for him not driving with the ball from deep & injecting a bit of urgency into his game. Takes the easy option more often than not & isn't always available for a pass.

Been a big letdown for me so far but there is certainly a player there. I think management need to figure out how to get the best from him
Lack of space in front of him maybe?

It's this constant, narrow-minded pish we read on here time and time again about our players.

One misplaced pass, a poor cross, missed a header etc. and all of a sudden that player is pish, needs dropped, never a captain etc.

These folk tend to forget what these players have given us over a longer period of time or have shown in previous performances.

Plus, Aribo has been here 4 months FFS.

Don’t be ridiculous.
Even Mr Struth’s famous quote references periods of not winning.

Don't start referencing Struth to me.

Rangers have always strived to be the best never second best it's what sets us apart and will never change. The modern translation of that is "100%" I suppose but no matter who you say it Rangers and her fan base have always demanded more from players. That should never be described as a hindrance as you put it.

Rangers have always strived to be the best never second best it's what sets us apart and will never change. The modern translation of that is "100%" I suppose but no matter who you say it Rangers and her fan base have always demanded more from players. That should never be described as a hindrance as you put it.
I have never said, hinted, implied or even thought we shouldn’t be striving to be the best.
When I mention “hindrance” I am thinking of the pressures we apply to our players which can be an obstruction.

I have never said, hinted, implied or even thought we shouldn’t be striving to be the best.
When I mention “hindrance” I am thinking of the pressures we apply to our players which can be an obstruction.

What can I tell you? In Aribo's case we have a young talented and at the time of his transfer a highly sought after player. He's chosen to come here with the added attraction of working under Gerrard I suspect but has (at times) appeared to give less than his all. He's at Rangers and will have to adjust to the demands. Now that's that I'm afraid!
I personally have never slated the boy because I'm confident it will come but I can understand the frustrations of those who do. We are a massive club with high expectations with fans who are used to demanding the best. We have a history of players who've overcome initial flack who've then gone on to become outstanding players for us. Many of these guys have openly admitted the determination to win over our support actually helped them make the grade. That's the one quality that will ensure you succeed at Rangers.

I don't need to remind you we've also been starved of success for far too long which in itself brings added pressure. A bit unfair I know but In Aribo's case I think that's not fully sunk in yet, I'm hopeful Gerrard and his coaches can change that sooner rather than later.

Lack of space in front of him maybe?

There were plenty of occassions on the turnover of possession where he had the opportunity to stride forward with the ball but he slowed the play down with a slow pass out to Barisic.

Its weird because he is actually good at taking the ball in advanced areas where space is limited & beating a few players

That's not "standards". That's justifying people going in huffs when we don't win.

I am really not convinced by the idea of him being a player who should play higher up the park at all personally.

Kamara and Aribo and their languid style, playing gait and ability to play off either foot is a massive reason for a lot of the space we are finding in games I feel.

I like him taking time on the ball deep personally, it brings players on to him and he has the technical ability to remove players from the game in a second.

I like him personally - & maybe agree he's been a bit eratic - so what exactly does that prove ?
To suggest he's not contributing to our cause is ridiculous - imo

Dont know whats happened to him, too many misplaced passes at times. Theres definitely a player there, i trust Gerrard to get him back to his best though

Surprisingly, I thought Aribo played a lot better today after he dropped a little deeper following the substitutions. He undoubtedly has huge potential and I’d hate to see it ruined by the demands we put on our players. We’ve seen how it’s going with Ojo, another who came with a decent reputation. Both will require some careful management from Gerrard.

We were told by Charlton fans that Aribo is inconsistent. He's had some great games and some poor ones - pretty much the rest of the squad bar a few.

We're doing really well this season overall. The focus on individuals in what is a team game is always a bit strange, but more so when the team is consistently getting results.

We're ruining the most fun season in years for ourselves by demanding perfection. Relax and enjoy the ride.
Sorry mate but 10 in a row is on the horizon so I’m completely sympathetic to folk that can’t just switch off and enjoy. You’re not wrong in what you’re saying but it’s simply going to be like this given the circumstances, more and more will be demanded until the title is back in the cabinet.

Sorry mate but 10 in a row is on the horizon so I’m completely sympathetic to folk that can’t just switch off and enjoy. You’re not wrong in what you’re saying but it’s simply going to be like this given the circumstances, more and more will be demanded until the title is back in the cabinet.
This is it in a nutshell. Unfortunately the mentality of every player is going to be tested until the league trophy is back in our cabinet. If any player thinks it’s tough this season god help them next year should we not win the league this season!!

christ, think of some of the results a couple of years ago.. now we're looking for faults after a 5 0 pumping of hearts.

I'm all for high standards but sometimes you have to reflect on how far the team has come.
I’m more interested in where we are going than where we’ve been. Aribo has to step up to the mark.

He’s giving me a sore throat...the Amount of barking im doing at him....too weak in the challenge and lazy in attitude for me.

We won 5-0 today. Aribo performed the role the manager gave him well.

Sufferin f.uck :(
Aribo had a neat and tidy game today and I am sure he had an assist.
Anyone having a pop at the lad today should think hard about exactly what they expect from a young lad still settling into the team and a different league.
But then I suppose the criticism will be coming from the same quarters as the 'sell Alfie for a couple of million' brigade.

And he was praised for that performance.

For every good performance though, there’s been numerous average/poor ones though

It’s a fans forum you do realise that, yes? Players will be praised and equally criticised when merited.

The team is performing well overall but that doesn’t mean every single player is contributing positively on a regular basis hence why they’ll come in for criticism.

You’re more sensitive than a woman when it comes to anyone daring to criticise a player

Aribo lacks the power i expected of him, he’s our slowest presser of the ball, he has good feet and is better in the air than i thought he’d be. At the moment he’s too happy to move the ball on a yard to Kamara rather than get his head up. Makes some good forward runs though as we saw fir the goal. I thought Arfield was decent enough today. I dont think we’ll see Aribo at Hampden.

This place is honestly insane. How many of you go to games? Cause everyone I seen in and around the stadium was delighted today. Aribo and Arfield were terrific today and Ojo completely reinvigorated our attack when he came on.

I quite often arrive on this forum after a game and end up wondering if I watched the same football match. Some steaming hot takes.

Reminds me of Windass. Flatters to deceive. Needs to do a lot more.
FFS, that is a kick in the haw-maws.
I don’t think Aribo has set the heather on fire so far but the pluses far outweigh the negatives for me.
Comparing him to Windass though?
If you had the choice of either, today, who would you pick?

He didn’t do much today. It was a bit of an experiment to try him in a different position but he didn’t seem to know where he should be moving to get the ball. Too many times he’s just jogging along not going behind or coming short.

he has a lot of ability, obviously, but it’s looking like ita going to hand him a while to grow into being a Rangers player

We are going into the trenches next Sunday and until He installs urgency and aggression into his game he has no right to be anywhere near a game against the scum

FFS, that is a kick in the haw-maws.
I don’t think Aribo has set the heather on fire so far but the pluses far outweigh the negatives for me.
Comparing him to Windass though?
If you had the choice of either, today, who would you pick?
Aribo. Just

Aribo lacks the power i expected of him, he’s our slowest presser of the ball, he has good feet and is better in the air than i thought he’d be. At the moment he’s too happy to move the ball on a yard to Kamara rather than get his head up. Makes some good forward runs though as we saw fir the goal. I thought Arfield was decent enough today. I dont think we’ll see Aribo at Hampden.

We won’t see him at Hampden because he’s not as effective as Jack, Davis or Kamara.

I’m hoping the next few months under Gerrard’s tutelage he’ll understand what is required in our league.

He’s got the tools to be a standout.

Back