Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Sam English had a sad life after the death of John Thomson in 1931, not least as a result the outrageous comments of scum manager Maley at the inquest. Not one player on the field thought the coming together was anything other than accidental but Maley's comment "I hope it was an accident" scarred English for the rest of his life and he died at the early age of 58 in 1967. Here he is in another Rangers v Celtic match, this time at Hampden:

Re32BzH.jpg
P.K Blinder in goal?

Reactions: ao2
Rangers 1-1 Celtic, 2nd January 1971. The saddest day in the club's history. I hope no one is offended by images being posted from that awful day. :

xw4Ptah.jpg

tJvplXK.jpg

zr5tt1e.jpg

npYBnIv.jpg

VQC5d1Q.jpg

6fEZDbB.jpg

Obviously an occasion that now means something far different from a game of football, but as far as a Rangers picture thread is concerned its still a game that is part of the team's amazing history.
Impossible to look at these, however, without thinking of the horrific aftermath.

Obviously an occasion that now means something far different from a game of football, but as far as a Rangers picture thread is concerned its still a game that is part of the team's amazing history.
Impossible to look at these, however, without thinking of the horrific aftermath.

I'm never comfortable posting images from that day mate as it's still raw, even nearly 49 years later. But like you say, it's part of the club's history and we will never forget those who didn't come home that day.

Rangers 2-0 Aberdeen, 11th May 1991. Aberdeen needed just a point to do it but Mark Hateley scores twice and Rangers are champions. Ibrox goes nuts!:

t5WhpvH.jpg

UE4kHXH.jpg
Spent that whole season in the EE and never got to see the works above until this game and the celebrations afterwards in Tv

Rangers 1965/66:

yHr0aoD.jpg

I lived across the road in Rhynie Drive at this time and went to the school outside Ibrox. I was probably lucky to see Rangers more than most kids my age. If the Gers were away I would be at the reserve games and guys like Denis Settrington and Billy Semple were as familiar to me as first team players. To this day these are my two favourite strips plus the floodlight strip that resembled the British athletics vest. Happy days. Thanks for posting.

Many of those players didn't make it, of course. Oddly, I remember Sutherland from reserve matches at Ibrox.

Rangers 1-1 Celtic, 2nd January 1971. The saddest day in the club's history. I hope no one is offended by images being posted from that awful day. :

xw4Ptah.jpg

tJvplXK.jpg

zr5tt1e.jpg

npYBnIv.jpg

VQC5d1Q.jpg

6fEZDbB.jpg

Sensitively posted ao2. Will always make for dificult viewing and still brings the tears. Up to 2 years ago I couldnt even have looked at these pictures. Writing a poem about the disaster was cathartic for me but the real turning point was therapy after 45 years for the related ptsd. God bless the 66. They will never ever be forgotten.

Sensitively posted ao2. Will always make for dificult viewing and still brings the tears. Up to 2 years ago I couldnt even have looked at these pictures. Writing a poem about the disaster was cathartic for me but the real turning point was therapy after 45 years for the related ptsd. God bless the 66. They will never ever be forgotten.

I'm sorry to hear you were caught up in it mate.

My Dad was injured in the 1961 tragedy and was actually on top of one of the guys who died, and I know it never left him. He was never happy using Stairway 13 after that and though he entered Ibrox for the 1971 game via 13 he made sure he left through the Edmiston Drive steps, something he always did for games v them (other than those games he always stood at the Broomloan Road End). He didn't even know about the disaster that day until he got back down to Greenock, as he went to the game with a pal and a guy from England, whose car they were all in - it had no radio. When they got to his pal's house his wife told him to get up the road sharp as my Mother would be going crazy wondering where he was (we didn't have a phone at the time). I was only a lad then (I'd turned 6 in the September) but even at that age I could sense the worry my Mum was going through, and my sisters were just the same. It was a relief when he came through the door. To think that was replicated in thousands of homes all over the country, and for some the relief never came.

I'm glad the therapy you got has helped mate, and the poem too. I guess it was a release of sorts?

We will never forget the 66.

Well that's what I call a challenge! No holds barred in a match at the piggery c.1970. I'm not sure who the Rangers player taking on Gemmell is but I think it's Willie Henderson?:

cEkK77l.jpg
Could be the Wee Barra or Andy Penman,hard to tell.

Yip.
Every time we have a similar day weather wise it takes me back to that awful day.
First I've seen some of those images,I've seen the one just after the goal but not the others.

I'm sorry to hear you were caught up in it mate.

My Dad was injured in the 1961 tragedy and was actually on top of one of the guys who died, and I know it never left him. He was never happy using Stairway 13 after that and though he entered Ibrox for the 1971 game via 13 he made sure he left through the Edmiston Drive steps, something he always did for games v them (other than those games he always stood at the Broomloan Road End). He didn't even know about the disaster that day until he got back down to Greenock, as he went to the game with a pal and a guy from England, whose car they were all in - it had no radio. When they got to his pal's house his wife told him to get up the road sharp as my Mother would be going crazy wondering where he was (we didn't have a phone at the time). I was only a lad then (I'd turned 6 in the September) but even at that age I could sense the worry my Mum was going through, and my sisters were just the same. It was a relief when he came through the door. To think that was replicated in thousands of homes all over the country, and for some the relief never came.

I'm glad the therapy you got has helped mate, and the poem too. I guess it was a release of sorts?

We will never forget the 66.

That was awful for your Dad . Sorry to hear that. People just didnt get any help back in those days. I remember being told to 'snap myself out of it' and 'pull yourself together' in the following months afterwards by well meaning people, one even being a doctor The stiff upper lip was required and you just had to 'get on with it'.

To anyone still affected i would say its never too late to get the help. It may never completely erase the memories but can bring a closure of sorts and addresses issues such as survivor syndrome and gives coping strategies.

I was fortunate in that I have received great support from my wife who was also with me that day and I will be eternally grateful to a fellow poster on this forum who supported me throughout the seven months of intensive therapy that I underwent and afterwards.

A true gem who encouraged me to eventually publish a book of Rangers poems this time last year which included the one on the Ibrox Disaster.

Anyhow thank you for kind words and posting the photos, also thank you for personally sharing on such a delicate and tragic subject.

God bless the Sixty-Six.

League game, the cup game was played in a mudbath.

The 69-70 new year game or the 70-71 first game against them?
Sorry to be pedantic, these games are just before I really remember any details so fascinated how you can tell what game it is.

The 69-70 new year game or the 70-71 first game against them?
Sorry to be pedantic, these games are just before I really remember any details so fascinated how you can tell what game it is.
September 1970 game Penman was sub.

Both players played in the 1970 January game, (0-0).
Someone will have to ask wee Willie.
My money is still on Andy Penman.
Game is definitely Jan 1970 , found various pictures of the game with that one included.

Last edited:
That was awful for your Dad . Sorry to hear that. People just didnt get any help back in those days. I remember being told to 'snap myself out of it' and 'pull yourself together' in the following months afterwards by well meaning people, one even being a doctor The stiff upper lip was required and you just had to 'get on with it'.

To anyone still affected i would say its never too late to get the help. It may never completely erase the memories but can bring a closure of sorts and addresses issues such as survivor syndrome and gives coping strategies.

I was fortunate in that I have received great support from my wife who was also with me that day and I will be eternally grateful to a fellow poster on this forum who supported me throughout the seven months of intensive therapy that I underwent and afterwards.

A true gem who encouraged me to eventually publish a book of Rangers poems this time last year which included the one on the Ibrox Disaster.

Anyhow thank you for kind words and posting the photos, also thank you for personally sharing on such a delicate and tragic subject.

God bless the Sixty-Six.

Yes, people just didn't open up in those days, especially men. My Dad only ever spoke to me about the 1961 match when he was injured the once in any detail. I knew he'd been at the game but one day he just told me he'd been hurt and was lying on top of one of the guys who was killed. Something like that is never going to leave you. That's great your wife and pal have been such a big help to you mate and good to hear it's helped in a big way.

Back