How confident are you for the final?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought i would say this but i would go with Stewart for the right hand side against them, i appreciate he isn't very quick and that does worry me defensively but he has good skill and can cause real problems in and around their box.

Jones isn't going to be match fit so he wont play

I never thought i would say this but i would go with Stewart for the right hand side against them, i appreciate he isn't very quick and that does worry me defensively but he has good skill and can cause real problems in and around their box.

Jones isn't going to be match fit so he wont play
I've been coming around to this view too. Arfield and Aribo are wasted out there and Ojo isn't in the best form. Stewart's trickery and creativity could cause problems but I'm certain it will be Arfield.

I've been coming around to this view too. Arfield and Aribo are wasted out there and Ojo isn't in the best form. Stewart's trickery and creativity could cause problems but I'm certain it will be Arfield.
I would be more comfortable with Arfield in centre mid however Arfield has shown he can perform in these games before so i think you may be right.

Very cliche but the midfield is where this game will be won and lost. We can't afford to have any passengers and for that reason Aribo and Ojo worry me.

Both are obviously capable of playing superbly and winning the game with an individual piece of brilliance but they're equally capable of letting the game pass them by.

There's no margin for error for the gaffer here; this is the acid test to our title-winning credentials. Can this crop of players do the business when it comes to the crunch of winning trophies?

We need every man on top of their game, we need to close them down and force them to play the early ball, they don’t like that.

I've been nervous since the semi. We need big performances from every single player and supporter. We need to will them on to victory.

Really ? pretty sure we have smashed quite a lot of teams this season in the spl, you said apart from today as if every other game has been a struggle ?

Away from Ibrox at Hamilton and Livi recently were dire even though we got there in the end.

I'm 50/50 still.

I think there will be goals for both teams I'm just hoping we score one more than them!

Do I think we can do it? 100%

Am I still stupidly nervous? Absolutely

It'd be naive of us to underestimate how well they're playing just now, but we also can't show them too much respect and need to take the game to them.

With the current form of both teams anything is possible in this game. I'm buzzing for it but will be watching the whole game shitting bricks.

I think Kent is going to have a major say in this game.

Big open pitch against a team who won't sit back.

If Kent plays well I can see us getting at least a couple of goals, do i see them scoring 3 back?.....No

A midfield 3 of Jack, Davis and Kamara will control the game for us.

The biggest disparity between the teams though is the full back positions.

We have the best 2 in the league, while they'll be fielding a 4th choice left back and a 2nd choice right back against us.

Barisic, Tav and Kent will have an absolute field day.

We will win this cup down the flanks.

We have the best 2 in the league, while they'll be fielding a 4th choice left back and a 2nd choice right back against us.

They have a bigger problem than us in this game.....

If they sit back we will control 60% of the possession with our midfield 3.....if they take the game to us we have players both wide and at centre forward who will have a field day with the space they leave.

I am more than confident our 2 centre backs can deal with whoever plays up top for them.

I've a lot of confidence in this team but it will be who turns up and performs on the day. To date, when we turn up and perform, we blow them away. Let's Go.

True, but having watched them a few times in recent weeks their right back Frimpong is a tricky wee customer who we'll need to be wary of, like Tav he's rather useful going forward for them.

We need to have our wide players attack their full back's from the word go, put them on the back foot and create some uncertainty for them going forward.

If we start this one like we started the last OF and let them dictate the tempo and control the play, we'll be in trouble.

Tav will have to be on his A game defensively. Also Hellander cant be caught trying to match the pace of Christie or Forrest. I have full confidence in both that they will be able to handle the tasks.

Its very evenly balanced. Fully agree with you about the midfield 3.

Make no mistake they have players who can hurt us.

I think we shade it - purely on the fact all the pressure is on Celtic. Make no mistake they will be hurting so much more if we win, than the level we would be hurting if they win.

Come on the Teddys!

True, but having watched them a few times in recent weeks their right back Frimpong is a tricky wee customer who we'll need to be wary of, like Tav he's rather useful going forward for them.

We need to have our wide players attack their full back's from the word go, put them on the back foot and create some uncertainty for them going forward.

If we start this one like we started the last OF and let them dictate the tempo and control the play, we'll be in trouble.

Even against a poor Ross County, Frimpong was caught out defensively a couple of times and Barisic and Kent could open him up.

I agree he looks decent going forward.

However, with BollingoliI and Taylor definitely out and Hayes doubtful, they've got major issues at left back.

Tav will have to be on his A game defensively. Also Hellander cant be caught trying to match the pace of Christie or Forrest. I have full confidence in both that they will be able to handle the tasks.

Its very evenly balanced. Fully agree with you about the midfield 3.

Make no mistake they have players who can hurt us.

I think we shade it - purely on the fact all the pressure is on Celtic. Make no mistake they will be hurting so much more if we win, than the level we would be hurting if they win.

Come on the Teddys!

I think they've got far greater defensive concerns than us mate.

I agree our players need to be at the top of their game though, no question.

Even against a poor Ross County, Frimpong was caught out defensively a couple of times and Barisic and Kent could open him up.

I agree he looks decent going forward.

However, with BollingoliI and Taylor definitely out and Hayes doubtful, they've got major issues at left back.

Agreed, he likes to play high up the pitch which exposes their defence - we need to take full advantage of that when the chances arise.

I wish two things.. that we weren’t playing the fucking sheep during the week, we could really do without their hammer throwing shit and we could do without the long journey there and back. Also wish this game wasn’t a 3pm kick off. Waiting around nervous as %^*& all day waiting for it.

I am soooo nervous already.

I wish two things.. that we weren’t playing the fucking sheep during the week, we could really do without their hammer throwing shit and we could do without the long journey there and back. Also wish this game wasn’t a 3pm kick off. Waiting around nervous as %^*& all day waiting for it.

I am soooo nervous already.
This is my biggest concern. That little twat Ferguson in particular.

We have played and got results from better teams than them in our euro group. They are a threat going forward but can be got at at the back. With Kent and Morelos red hot I’d expect us to win with something to spare if we can keep it tight at the back

I'm absolutely bricking it being completely honest, the Hibs final has left mental scars that will take a long time to heal.

Make no mistake they are a decent side and know 'how to win'. I've not seen the slump I expected when they appointed Lennon. That said we are also decent and Gerrard just needs to replicate his incredible European record in a domestic final. The game looks so tight on paper even getting one player wrong from the best possible eleven could make the difference, zero room for passengers or anyone even slightly off-form or carrying an injury no matter how small.

Most important of all, I believe, is cutting out goals from unforced errors. I'd much rather see us lose a little footballing flair in return for not turning over possession deep in our half (Jack v Porto, Tav v Young Boys, Goldson in the 0-2 game at Ibrox.)

On the positive side, Morelos is in the form of his life, if we give him a reasonable amount of decent chances (or quality crosses) I fancy him to score against anyone. Tav seems to be slowly getting back to the player we know he can be, Jack has evolved into an absolute monster of a midfielder and is quite capable of running rounds around Broonaldo. Barasic finally looks like the first choice Croatian international we bought and Kent continues to improve each time I see him.

Nervous as hell about it in all honesty.

But if we get our team and tactics right and play to our best we can win it also we can't sit back against them we must take the game to them from the whistle.

Keep it solid at the back, win the midfield battle, play width and pace, and as long as we take our chances we have a good chance I feel.

We must and I stress must target there full backs and there defence this time around.

No but some players have been well out of form and our play has suffered. But you bury your head in the sand and all will be well.
Bury my head oin the sand over what ? we are joint top of the league and close to getting into the last 32 but thats not enough for you because you want us to win every game 5-0

Really cant help but think their attack is far far too quick for our defence, had butterflies for the past week, just hope we can out score them on the day.

Really cant help but think their attack is far far too quick for our defence, had butterflies for the past week, just hope we can out score them on the day.
Porto had very quick attackers

I honestly don't know whats wrong with people on here, of course its going to be tough but you would think it was Man City we are playing, we never had this level of fear against any of our euro opponents and Porto are a better team than the mhanks.

We don't give our team enough credit, i am not overly confident its 50/50 for me but the way they are being bigged up compared to us is quite sad.

We can do it :)

Last edited:
A defeat is out of the question,in reality we have played better quality opposition in Europe and we have matched them in tanking the rest of the SPFL,Taking aside our poor performance against them at Ibrox,(Self Inflicted,team selection and poor performance)we should run out easy winners,3-0 with a Morelos double and a Tavernier penalty.Just turn up and play .

Think the mental impact if we don’t win this is huge, which is why I’m so nervous about the game.

We’re two pretty evenly matched teams all over the park I think, it will come down to factors other than ability.

IMO they'll be looking to exploit Tav and our right side in general. It's definitely our weaker side.
You know for all the talk about us not getting it right v them the last time you could put green specks on and say that Celtic absolutely bossed us and our defence is crap. This game is so close and like others have said could come down to a mistake of ref error

Its a 50/50 game, but Alfredo seems to be having a Roy of the Rovers season so far.
Last minute winners in qualifiers, last minute winner for national side etc.

Mibbie he's not at a McCoist level yet, but a wee Lovenkrands style winner could be in the stars!

The game at the start of the season shook my confidence, but we played them off the park last season so anything can happen. I think it's 50/50. A lot depends on how we start on Sunday. We need to get right into them from the start!

They learned in the last game they had to press rangers, i hope stevie g has learned from that too.

Kent can win in for us. their right back will be worried.

Bury my head oin the sand over what ? we are joint top of the league and close to getting into the last 32 but thats not enough for you because you want us to win every game 5-0

I said i was concerned that we were scraping a win in a few games lately with several players playing nowhere near their best (Arfield, Tav and Aribo). The bheasts don’t appear to have anybody playing nowhere near their best just now. Its not a defeatist attitude, its recognising where the threats lie. But as i said, you keep burying your head in the sand.

IMO they'll be looking to exploit Tav and our right side in general. It's definitely our weaker side.
You know for all the talk about us not getting it right v them the last time you could put green specks on and say that Celtic absolutely bossed us and our defence is crap. This game is so close and like others have said could come down to a mistake of ref error

Apart from one terrible individual blunder at the piggery , Tav consistently saw off whoever the mentally challengeds put up against him last season.

They've got nobody who they can play wide left that will get the better of Tav.

long and the short of it is that it could go any way, as has historically been the case for these matches (albeit disregarding the Warburton / Pedro fiasco years).

We saw how confident we were prior to the league fixture at Ibrox and we were fairly woeful that day. Similarly on another day we could have pumped them had we played to our potential.

Can see it being a close one, doubt there will be a huge number of goals in it but I will take us for a 1-0. Alfredo to do it on 85 mins!

Porto had very quick attackers

I honestly don't know whats wrong with people on here, of course its going to be tough but you would think it was Man City we are playing, we never had this level of fear against any of our euro opponents and Porto are a better team than the mhanks.

We don't give our team enough credit, i am not overly confident its 50/50 for me but the way they are being bigged up compared to us is quite sad.

We can do it :)
Feyenord also had a very quick attacker the other night and he sat both our centre backs on their arse before scoring, i know im overreacting just shiting myself haha.

I said i was concerned that we were scraping a win in a few games lately with several players playing nowhere near their best (Arfield, Tav and Aribo). The bheasts don’t appear to have anybody playing nowhere near their best just now. Its not a defeatist attitude, its recognising where the threats lie. But as i said, you keep burying your head in the sand.
You are talking rubbish i will just leave it at that

They are the favourites. Our form is pretty much identical at the moment but we haven't proved we can win anything yet. This our chance to put that right and set the tone for the season so let's hope that's what happens.

Apart from one terrible individual blunder at the piggery , Tav consistently saw off whoever the mentally challengeds put up against him last season.

What's happened to Sinclair?

Feyenord also had a very quick attacker the other night and he sat both our centre backs on their arse before scoring, i know im overreacting just shiting myself haha.
I dont blame you mate, i am aswell and feel sick thinking about it, they are a big danger but we are bigging them up too much imo, i understand the first old firm of the season has made us more fearful this time around, in a way i kind of like that as were too confident last time around

Who knows what will happen but we should have a little more faith in our team.

At this point I’m 50/50

I suspect they’ll be favorites because of the past but if we have a fully fit squad at the races we’re more than a match

This game is a coin flip. 50-50. As all Old Firms will be unless major business is done by either side in January (either buying new players or selling key ones).

If we win it, fantastic. If we don't, it doesn't mean we aren't good enough.

I think its more worry on my part.
Living in Canada, I genuinely haven't seen them play since they played us. I've seen every minute of us though and think our right is our weakest side so maybe putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back