The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

I get your over-riding point about where do we draw the line in terms of what we can reasonably expect the club to get involved with.

However, there's quite a wide difference between standing grinning like a fanny with a big massive banner you've gone out and had made to "get it up" someone.... and someone recording a private conversation on a phone or something like that in a pub mate.

Bottom line is - as others have pointed out - it's entirely up to Rangers who they let into the stadium or don't. Bringing the club's name into disrepute via a deliberate action at a time when we're fighting on a range of fronts is arrogant, reckless, stupid and the club is entitled to deal with them as they see fit. If the punters facing a ban don't like it or think it's harsh, get lawyered up and see how far that gets them...
Knowing how ineffective Rangers seems to be in certain areas I'd imagine Rangers would probably lose.

I get your point also, it's the where and when that if it went legal would potentially scupper Rangers. How much do Rangers want to control the people who travel unofficially. Near the stadium? in the same city? A different city? Anywhere in that country or on the way there? Not comparing to the scum and they can do what the %^*& they like. I've seen some vile stuff from them at away trips, however if not actually at the game or with rhe official travel group, what realistically are the powers that say were banning you. If the banner was in scotland Id expect a police response but I'm just not comfortable of action being taken due to stupid individual actions in a random place in a foreign country.

Yes, seriously.

I'm simply trying to establish if we're boxing clever or if we're now saying that these things that we all did in the past are now morally wrong, because there is a world of difference.

I've already stated that the young lads were stupid. I'm not a member of the "I'll sing what I want brigade", I'm trying to establish the exact rules in this new reality.
It just seems like needlessly muddying the waters mate. There is a clear world of difference between the club releasing an orange kit and endorsing a banner with that phrase on it. They have been very clear on the behaviour that they won't be tolerating. UEFA have never punished us for links to Unionism or Protestantism. The issue is with fcuking the Pope and being up to the knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood. Whether we like it or not, surely we all know this now?

It's not right that the club cower in fear to the republican propaganda machine. If the tim board banned a few tims for an airport "%^*& the H.." banner.We'd think they were all under the thumb well and truly.They wouldn't do that even though they've had fines aswell.

If the board want to slowly criminalise any display of Protestantism and unionism within Ibrox. They are going to have issues. Maybe if you get snapped at an orange walk playing BB.You'll get a ban aswell. Banning fans for airport behaviour is beyond belief. Dividing the club from it's core support base( working class prods) isn't going to work out well in the long run.
Putting 19th Century Terrorist bastards on a flag is not a display of unionism or protestantism. Its a display of utter stupidity.

I agree 100% with u on using it within our songs. It can't be sung in this day and age. But my point was, these boys getting banned for a banner that they were not even in the stadium with, is all about weird considering the word 19th Century Terrorist is a legitimate term for describing their fans. For example, up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood for me is a bit outrageous in this day in age, but the blue flag... will be mastered by no 19th Century Terrorist bastard, is totally legitimate for me. It's not about religion or a terrorist group/political group. It's a term used to describe their fans literally.
again i think most people will agree with you on that one but rangers have to be seen to distance themselves entirely from anything deemed to be sectarian (rightly or wrongly). unfortunately, as frustrating as it is, that's just the world we live in these days.

Just a thought.
Do ANY of the folk on here claiming that letting off pyro and singing about 19th Century Terrorists and f*cking the pope have any real concerns when the possibility of having a whole stadium closure for the Young Boys game was considered to be a genuine possibility?
If they didn't then they're idiots!
If they did then they're even bigger idiots!

Nothing wrong with it if it's not in the stadium. Surely the club can't ban them for posing outwith a match situation? The boys were actually on my bus from Rotterdam to Feyenoord and were brand new. The abuse is a bit harsh

Bizarre approach to take on it.

The club cannot take any risks with this, if these morons are happy to have their photos taken with the flag - in, even more embarrassingly, a fucking airport - for social media then there’s nothing that makes me think they wouldn’t pull it out during a game.

The club’s totally correct in what it’s doing and if you think otherwise you simply cannot have the best interests of Rangers at heart.

There might be a bigger picture at play here too.

The club are in the business of making the business of Rangers a more attractive proposition too, not just winning games and trophies.We will always need investors in the club, not just the ones that buy shares. The corporate sponsors, the folks that associate their company with Rangers and pay to do so, fans, in fact anybody that spends money on Rangers or who could potentially spend money with Rangers. Some would say deeper than that, to those that can show the brand in a good or bad light. That’s a whole separate discussion so I’ll not go there.

Maybe they are turning a corner here with brand protection and not just because UEFA are breathing down our necks but also because it is a way to attract more sponsors as well. How do you grow your brand when it’s getting plastered over the internet, tv, newspapers with bad publicity ? You take action to stop it. I don’t know about the legal rights and wrongs, freedom of speech versus brand defamation, etc, etc. We do know that UEFA have jurisdiction in, and apparently around stadiums for their ties. Where does Rangers control over their brand extend too ?

Last edited:
Absolutely embarrassing and not what we need. The club is doing a lot of great things to drag the club in to the 21st Century and then we have utter morons dragging our name through the mud again. Anybody defending this is any way shape or form is quite frankly a tit and a knuckle dragger. People need to get with the times or get left behind.

Theory goes If we get our house in order and the tims still play up then we'll be able to hammer them and turn the tables with improved press.The moral high ground strategy. Anyone who's got experience of NI and the media over there would understand it's not going to pan out like that.

What will happen as in NI. We'll cut our culture to the bone over the next few years but every time our fans step a tiny bit out of line we'll still get hammered as the problem while the tims will run wild as usual and the media will give them a pass regardless of the facts and how much ground we've given up.

It's road to nowhere strategy..across the water and here. It's very similar in terms of a one sided sectarianism process and where that leads.

It was a crazy banner to get made up and they were asking for trouble by doing so. I would much rather spend my hard earned on a Rangers banner with no mention of the other mob.

In saying that I can't help thinking back to the hanging effigies and "know your place hun scum" banner that the groin brigade displayed a while back. Can anybody tell me how many were banned by the mentally challengeds for that wee escapade, genuine question.

I agree totally with your point op. They will whittle us away to sitting on our hands at the game while they carry on unabated. Anybody thinking we'll gain the moral high ground and be able to point the finger at them must also believe in fairies.

Not going to lie, i didn't really see much wrong with the banner. Seen alot worse. The mhedia in this country have done their job again.
The Club and the governing authorities have a different view,whether you like it or not banners like this and songs with add one need to stop or the Club and fans will suffer for it.

Sadly Dave King did not CHALLENGE the term and so it now stands (as far as the football governing body is concerned) as being racist even though it is nothing of the sort.

Not going to lie, i didn't really see much wrong with the banner. Seen alot worse. The mhedia in this country have done their job again.

It's gone past the point you get to decide your view on that word though....

This will piss and irk folks but there is most likely some in deep south America who still don't see the issue in some words either, it doesn't mean they get to say them anymore...

Folks really need to let this one go and move on from it.

Why put Celtic on a Rangers flag something I for one would never do bit like getting a F#ck Celtic tattoo maybe those young lads have got some wouldn’t surprise me

I think it’s harsh if they are going to ban people for the pyro ,

This isn’t just Rangers but all over the country club will ban people for pyro and flares etc until the club win and then they use these images as promotion , either the clubs are completed against it or they can try and promote the safe use of pyro ( likely never happen I know )
Seriously?
Does your mother know you have internet access?

Playing complete devils advocate here, they didn’t display it in the stadium, how can the club then ban them? It was displayed in a public space? For the record the banner is idiotic and those that produced it clearly cannot see where the club is trying to go.
Club can ban anyone for anything they choose theoretically.

Theory goes If we get our house in order and the tims still play up then we'll be able to hammer them and turn the tables with improved press.The moral high ground strategy. Anyone who's got experience of NI and the media over there would understand it's not going to pan out like that.

What will happen as in NI. We'll cut our culture to the bone over the next few years but every time our fans step a tiny bit out of line we'll still get hammered as the problem while the tims will run wild as usual and the media will give them a pass regardless of the facts and how much ground we've given up.

It's road to nowhere strategy..across the water and here. It's very similar in terms of a one sided sectarianism process and where that leads.

You are moving into a different argument there.

While I agree that the sectarian industry is one sided against us, the way to fight it isn't by Shouting about 19th Century Terrorists or the Pope at Rangers games. That's just playing into our enemies hands.

As for Northern Ireland, just listen to the songs that the GAWA sing. They don't sing about the Pope and 19th Century Terrorists and they are a better support for it. In fact I would say that they are the best international support in Europe and I would bet the majority of them are bears.

If they can give up the uber prod stuff at the football then why can't us Scottish folk do it?

Grade A Fucking knobends? As much as I wouldn't get that type of banner made up to take to the fitba the vast majority of The Rangers support agree with the sentiment. %^*& them. They are fenain bastards. We do hate them. The banner was nowhere near the game, take a day off of being self righteous. Thank %^*& you weren't on the bus sooking the fun out of it.

It’s not about being self-righteous though. It’s about the inability of some elements in the support that cannot get by this fucking nonsense and the reputation all damage it does to everyone.

Have a laugh on the bus aye. In public all over social media I mean FFS - have a day off as you say.

Are people opinions on here being plastered across the press and social media alongside the clubs badge? No they aren’t.
Do you know these people or something? You seem very keen to defend the indefensible. It defies belief that after all the hassle the club have had and after a personal plea from our manger, that anybody could be so stupid as to get that flag that flag made, then stand like idiots posing for photos with it.
Im not defending anything i just find some of the comments against their own out of order

Tend to agree with him tbh, I might be wrong but the picture wasn’t at the game it was at the airport. Was it daft or course it was but let’s be honest here if it was put up in a bar in Amsterdam no one would have said anything about it.
It wasn't. it was in full public view and invited whoever to see it and spread the photos far and wide.
To give the haters of our club & community another chance to castigate us all. FFS

It's a very crude banner but of course it's a symbol of unionism and Protestantism in terms of intent and meaning even though most people over 25 in the PUL community would see it as a bit of a riddy. But the slow criminalization of Unionism at Ibrox isn't so much referring to the banner but the current feeling from the board to anything of that bent. It's the wider context.

It's clear where this is all headed even if it's 3 or 4 years down the line. The direction of travel. Any symbolism of unionism and Protestantism is just to embarrassing to middle class liberals in our support. They don't like any of it. They aren't being honest with the support though that they want to do away with everything. Instead they are using Uefa fines are a trojan horse and trying to do it bit by bit.
You are missing the point here.
The rules are there in black and white - if some of our "fans" (I use that term loosely and not "supporters" in this case) continue to behave in the way they are then we will be playing in an empty stadium.
I would say 99% of our fans at sometime in the past have sung songs THAT ARE NOW BANNED. Times have changed and we must move on.
Its nothing to do with Rangers FC and anti-Protestantism or anti-unionism. Its nothing to do with the media, its nothing to do with C**t*c.
It is up to Rangers to stamp it out. It is up to the real supporters to stop it and point it out.
You will not like what I have to say but as a fan base we need to look in the mirror and take responsibility. Forget the whataboutery and get our own house in order.
We must make sure OUR CLUB that we have fought to save are not punished any further.
To claim ignorance and continue with what is going on is madness with a predictable outcome.

Knowing how ineffective Rangers seems to be in certain areas I'd imagine Rangers would probably lose.

I get your point also, it's the where and when that if it went legal would potentially scupper Rangers. How much do Rangers want to control the people who travel unofficially. Near the stadium? in the same city? A different city? Anywhere in that country or on the way there? Not comparing to the scum and they can do what the %^*& they like. I've seen some vile stuff from them at away trips, however if not actually at the game or with rhe official travel group, what realistically are the powers that say were banning you. If the banner was in scotland Id expect a police response but I'm just not comfortable of action being taken due to stupid individual actions in a random place in a foreign country.

I think we're actually on the same page mate - but I think ultimately it comes down to the club not needing any powers as such. It's their stadium. They're not obliged to let anyone in they don't want in.

If they deem - rightly or wrongly - that someone is bringing their name into disrepute then it's Ranger's right to refuse them entry. When they get it wrong - and they may well do - then I think that's a different debate and where the fans groups, supporters buses and SLO etc all need to get around the table with them.

But... I think in this case most progressively-minded supporters who want the club to thrive and be able to concentrate solely on football matters won't lose any sleep over these dafties copping a ban.

(FWIW - I think there's an opportunity for the club to maybe do a bit more here... for example, make it a ban for the remainder of this season and all of next. Invite the lads to come and get involved with some of the community initiatives the club runs. Have a chat with club representatives to discuss how we can't have shite like this continually dragging us down. And only then - if the guys engage - reverse their ban for the 21/22 season. Leave the door open to allow people to learn their lesson. Just a thought...)

How can they ban them if it’s not in the stadium?

Not sure I agree with this regardless of how stupid the idiots were for making it.

Because it’s their name, their reputation and their club. Of course they have the right. And so they should. The majority of contributors on here agree.

The self-same custodians who approved the release of an orange 3rd kit which is clearly a nod to our historical links to the Protestant, Unionist and Loyalist communities?

Then celebrate our Protestant heritage rather than rubbishing someone else’s. The first makes us great Rangers fans. The second makes us expensive morons.

The worst thing is that the banner just makes them look as obsessed with the mentally challengeds as their fans are with us.

Really, really sad.

This is the bit that really annoys me. We've an amazing repertoire of songs, lots of brilliant banners and top fans. All of that takes a hit every time something like this happens.

Good

5 of them in the photo though

Sure the ban will be worth it all for the likes on social media from bams
Hopefully the threat of a lifetime ban will see them screw the nut

I am sick of these neds who get pissed and drugged up out their face and think they can do whatever the they want l, there seems to be a few on this thread who can't accept it

Reactions: Dom
Sadly Dave King did not CHALLENGE the term and so it now stands (as far as the football governing body is concerned) as being racist even though it is nothing of the sort.
It isn't upto Dave King to challenge it ffs. Why you think the chairman of our club would come out and challenge the "19th Century Terrorist b------" word is totally bizarre.

If it needs challenged it would be those who are arrested or convicted using the term who should be challenging it, Is there really a need to use the term at all.

A term they use themselves in songs and have even had a banner with it on it.

There are also black people who refer to themselves by a word I would never think about calling a black person.

Despite what some people in particular on here have led themselves to think the word 19th Century Terrorist means, it isn't seen as the chirpy, loveable term of endearment some think it is...

I think it’s harsh if they are going to ban people for the pyro ,

This isn’t just Rangers but all over the country club will ban people for pyro and flares etc until the club win and then they use these images as promotion , either the clubs are completed against it or they can try and promote the safe use of pyro ( likely never happen I know )

Its not harsh in the slightest. Why should the club pay fines for brain donors who know they are not allowed but just carry on taking them in regardless. Our game against Legia was stopped as a result of their nonsense which was roundly booed so we can’t have it both ways. Someone will have to explain to me why grown men want to take flares to football matches, for the life of me I can’t understand it. If your behaviour gets the club a fine you deserve a ban.

The club has to be seen to be doing this, for ourselves.
We will end up in serious trouble if it doesn't stop. Hopefully the penny will eventually drop.
I agree that the club need to be shown to deal with our own supporters so by the same token the club must come out and challenge press/msps etc who use offensive/sectarian language about our club/support this just cant be a one way street against our club.

Then celebrate our Protestant heritage rather than rubbishing someone else’s. The first makes us great Rangers fans. The second makes us expensive morons.

I don't disagree, but the line can be a little blurred. And the club have really only started to engage on this issue this season. Is there not a little tolerance required as we strive to get it right?

Against a backdrop of closed sections of Ibrox, fines from UEFA and an increased level of scrutiny from the media over anything along these lines you thought the banner with 19th Century Terrorist Bastards written across it wasn’t a problem?

Plenty of groups do that. Black people in the USA who used the 'N' word all of them time. I think we can both agree that non-blacks should not use it.

No, I'm not having that, their is no equivalency between the F word and the N word.

Are you saying we should stop using it because it gets us in trouble or because it's morally wrong?

Going by some of the replies on this thread, we have a long hard road to travel. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at some of the mental stuff people come away with.

I actually thought when we got that section closed that almost everyone was moving in same direction and wanted the nonsense ended, fast forward a few weeks and we now have many who still want to say or do whatever they want

Having banners with 19th Century Terrorist, singing about 19th Century Terrorists or wanting to %^*& the pope etc just cannot and should not be tolerated

Looking at this thread its clear we have miles to go

Pushing it their equating the plastic paddy with the Black person.

It's not seen as a kick in the arse of it....

People don't see the word "19th Century Terrorist" as a term used for a plastic paddy etc, that as an argument does not hold up, use the N word and attempt to LOLZ it off or talk people into what you interpret the word to mean "aucht it's no racist its just a term for term x. y or z" .... good luck with that.

I doubt it is a word many would use kicking about in meetings at their work....

It's a word folks are really being encouraged not to use, no one is having their human rights stripped away by not saying it etc and so on...

It's fucken weird how folks still even now try and make a case for saying what is a fucken word....there is a really simple way for they lads not to have been banned, by not carrying a sign fans know they shouldn't be fucken carrying...

Last edited:
I think we're actually on the same page mate - but I think ultimately it comes down to the club not needing any powers as such. It's their stadium. They're not obliged to let anyone in they don't want in.

If they deem - rightly or wrongly - that someone is bringing their name into disrepute then it's Ranger's right to refuse them entry. When they get it wrong - and they may well do - then I think that's a different debate and where the fans groups, supporters buses and SLO etc all need to get around the table with them.

But... I think in this case most progressively-minded supporters who want the club to thrive and be able to concentrate solely on football matters won't lose any sleep over these dafties copping a ban.

(FWIW - I think there's an opportunity for the club to maybe do a bit more here... for example, make it a ban for the remainder of this season and all of next. Invite the lads to come and get involved with some of the community initiatives the club runs. Have a chat with club representatives to discuss how we can't have shite like this continually dragging us down. And only then - if the guys engage - reverse their ban for the 21/22 season. Leave the door open to allow people to learn their lesson. Just a thought...)
And that's where we nearly agree. As it wasnt in the stadium or anywhere where Rangers officially were connected tournament wise, I wouldnt ban. I would however do the education part, with a statement of intent.

Might not be in the stadium but lays down a marker to say this wont be tolerated. Support the club being pro active on this one.

Because it’s their name, their reputation and their club. Of course they have the right. And so they should. The majority of contributors on here agree.
How far will the club go on this though?

What next, lads in the pub or on the supporters buses before the game, singing TBB, the club going to ban them too?

Back