The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

If nothing else, it’s a warning for idiots out there not to put offensive slogans besides the words Rangers or beside our clubs logo. Maybe they should put their own names on the banner if they must make them.

And that's where we nearly agree. As it wasnt in the stadium or anywhere where Rangers officially were connected tournament wise, I wouldnt ban. I would however do the education part, with a statement of intent.

Come on mate, how many times have Rangers tried to tell people and it’s completely ignored? Every time you buy a ticket, it comes with a reminder of what is expected of you as a fan, we constantly air messages at the stadium telling people that offensive behaviour won’t be tolerated. We have just recently launched the everyone anyone campaign.
Yet still some people refuse to listen, at some point you have to take responsibility for your own actions, you can’t expect to always be taken by the hand through life.

A lot of reference to 'the club', as a matter of interest who within 'the club' makes the decision to deal with matters like this?
Maybe the lawyers ? The banner is associating the club with a derogatory statement. The club have every right not to have their name, trademarks, etc not used in that manner.

A term they use themselves in songs and have even had a banner with it on it.

If you don’t believe it is sectarian, why not sing it at our next game at Ibrox or when walking past pc plod. You’ve nothing to worry about if you don’t believe it’s sectarian..

You are moving into a different argument there.

While I agree that the sectarian industry is one sided against us, the way to fight it isn't by Shouting about 19th Century Terrorists or the Pope at Rangers games. That's just playing into our enemies hands.

As for Northern Ireland, just listen to the songs that the GAWA sing. They don't sing about the Pope and 19th Century Terrorists and they are a better support for it. In fact I would say that they are the best international support in Europe and I would bet the majority of them are bears.

If they can give up the uber prod stuff at the football then why can't us Scottish folk do it?
regarding your perfectly valid question about the northern ireland support, ( and i suppose also linfield ) if they can on the whole give up on the songs and chants without seemingly any dilution of their passion and enthusiasm, we have to wonder just why we cannot follow suit,

It's not seen as a kick in the arse of it....

People don't see the word "19th Century Terrorist" as a term used for a plastic paddy etc, that as an argument does not hold up, use the N word and attempt to LOLZ it off or talk people into what you interpret the word to meAN "aucht it's no racist its just a term for term x. y or z" .... good luck with that.

I doubt it is a word many would use kicking about in meetings at their work....

It's a word folks are really being encouraged not to use, no one is having their human rights stripped away by not saying it etc and so on...

It's fucken weird how folks still even now try and make a case for saying what is a fucken word....there is a really simple way for they lads not to have been banned, by not carrying a sign fans know they shouldn't be fucken carrying...

You seem to be really offended by a banner with a word on it you do not care for, I get why the board are doing it trying to be proactive but I dont get why it offends you so much is this the first time have seen a banner or flag with this on it or other offensive terms.

We do hate them and they are 19th Century Terrorist bastards but to display a banner knowing it’s going to damage our club was a bit idiotic

You seem to be really offended by a banner with a word on it you do not care for, I get why the board are doing it trying to be proactive but I dont get why it offends you so much is this the first banner you have seen a banner or flag with this on it or other offensive terms.

I'm not offended by it, I am fucken tired of tits doing things that can %^*& things up for the football team I support.

I don't disagree, but the line can be a little blurred. And the club have really only started to engage on this issue this season. Is there not a little tolerance required as we strive to get it right?

I’ve no problems with that, after all most of us want the same thing. But do you think that tolerance would be rewarded by acceptance that we have to move away from some of the negative elements of our behaviour?

I attended my first Rangers match when I was 9 and was a regular until I left Scotland when I was 30. I’m now 72. 63 years ago it was FTP this and f*nian b*stard that. That is a problem in 2 ways. Firstly it has been accepted for many years unchallenged. But it also means that some attitudes haven’t moved on in the meantime. For some, I fear they never will.

Here's the thing: flag is in poor taste but usually we'd all say nothing.

However club is trying, clumsily, but trying to imagine who might be thick enough to shout FTP at games while being filmed by FARE.

So, they're aiming at the types who already seem not to be able to grasp the situation. They have to start somewhere and I'm sure not being a fucking clown will help everyone stay safe and able to get tickets.

Offensive to who? Do you find it offensive?.

I don't personally but plenty of people do. I can't believe that we are still have this debate in 2019. NI fans put a stop to this years ago. I know Linfield fans who wouldn't dream of using the term anymore. Just don't get why we need to use it.

Never thought i would say this, but perhaps this is the first time we can thank the media for running a story about the banner, I reckon had they not ran the story then there was a good possibilty that banner would have been taken into the stadium and the outcome could have been totally different, so in effect the media running the story has backfired on them and perhaps saved us a stadium closure.

Because the term is derogatory, for starters. Do you want to go down the sectarian route?

Yes please.

The word in itself is not derogatory. It was recently used in a scholarly fashion by an eminent English historian describing Brexit. He described it a "19th Century Terrorist revenge" and nobody batted an eyelid.

I'm not offended by it, I am fucken tired of tits doing things that can %^*& things up for the football team I support.
I dont see how a banner in a airport can %^*& up a football team fair enough if it was inside the stadium if it was that easy we could just say oh maybe they were Hammardy fans.

I dont see how a banner in a airport can %^*& up a football team fair enough if it was inside the stadium if it was that easy we could just say oh maybe they were Hammardy fans.

The banner isn't the issue though, the banner didn't make it's self

A group of fans took the decision to make the banner and represent themselves as Rangers fans - and representatives of the club.....

So they are either

A: Tims or Hammarby fans so %^*& them and what does it matter if they are banned

or they are

B: most likely Rangers fans who are doing a thing that makes the club look like a lady's front bottom, so %^*& them.

The banning of them is a win for the club either way.

Yes please.

The word in itself is not derogatory. It was recently used in a scholarly fashion by an eminent English historian describing Brexit. He described it a "19th Century Terrorist revenge" and nobody batted an eyelid.

Maybe Rangers could send you along to UEFA headquarters the next time we get into any bother for people singing it. Alternatively, people could just wise the fûck up, stop dragging the clubs name through the mud and ultimately jeopardising our very participation in European competition.

Previous experience shows you can be made responsible for your travelling fans in Europe - whether to not they have tickets, whether or not they have travelled officially with the club, whether or not they are inside the ground.

Think the above post has been missed by many, if the club can be held responsible, this explains their actions without any doubts.

I would hazard a guess that the lads pictured with the flag in an airport (and in this modern era, absolutely doing it for likes and giggles on social media) were not aware of this.

whether you agree or not whether you like it or not using any language that is deemed derogatory to a protected characteristic (religion, race etc...) which 19th Century Terrorist is now deemed to be (in this context) and has been for some time can be seen as a hate crime and thus will bring the clubs' reputation into disrepute regardless of where it's said or done, with this in mind im fully behind the clubs decision to take a tougher stance on things like this

Edit: Also who gives a flying f*ck what others do, hold ourselves higher then everyone - a class above, yet sh*t like this keeps popping up

Last edited:
The banner isn't the issue though, the banner didn't make it's self

A group of fans took the decision to make the banner and represent themselves as Rangers fans - and representatives of the club.....

So they are either

A: Tims or Hammarby fans so %^*& them and what does it matter if they are banned

or they are

B: most likely Rangers fans who are doing a thing that makes the club look like a lady's front bottom, so %^*& them.

The banning of them is a win for the club either way.

So where does the board stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.
Why is the club not more active against our enemies are they still getting a free pass while our supporters are not?

Not

Remarkable reply.

That’s Timmy logic mate.

Sectarian banner, made by and taken to the game by a few inbred morons.

“Bloody mhedia!!! Boooooooooo!”

sectarian banner?

we hate Celtic 19th Century Terrorist bastards

They have a banner saying they hate Celtic- That's not sectarian
19th Century Terrorist bastards- many Celtic fans do describe themselves as Unrepentant 19th Century Terrorists

The stupidity was being pictured with it..

So where does the club stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.
Why is the club not more active against our enemies are they still getting a free pass while our supporters are not?

Who the %^*& cares, honestly, - who gives a %^*&....

RE it being sung on buses and pubs, whenever it is done to the extent is hurts the clubs profile - %^*& folks off simple.

Rangers matter a shit load more than people getting to have a flag with the word "19th Century Terrorist" on it.

So where does the board stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.

Those taking that banner were quite frankly the enemy within

Day before the game and the club are plastered all over news outlets and the media for the wrong reasons

The fact that some on here dont see anything wrong with the banner sums what the club is up against

Utterly staggering

What's so staggering about not being bothered about the banner?

It's not sectarian to say They hate Celtic?

These are an example of Celtic fans that all describe themselves as 19th Century Terrorists

For me, the stupidity was being filmed with the banner

Who the %^*& cares, honestly, - who gives a %^*&....

RE it being sung on buses and pubs, whenever it is done to the extent is hurts the clubs profile - %^*& folks off simple.

Rangers matter a shit load more than people getting to have a flag with the word "19th Century Terrorist" on it.
Rangers do I agree, so why does this board not stand up against other clubs and supporters damaging or brand?

Maybe Rangers could send you along to UEFA headquarters the next time we get into any bother for people singing it. Alternatively, people could just wise the fûck up, stop dragging the clubs name through the mud and ultimately jeopardising our very participation in European competition.

I'm not condoning songs being sung. It's UEFA's rules and we have to abide by them. I was engaging in a wider debate about the actual meaning of the word and whether we should stop singing it because it gets us into trouble or because it's morally wrong.

Because if it's morally wrong then we shoud not be singing certain songs in the buses, supporters clubs or in main squares of towns across Europe.

So where does the club stop with this what about the buses where songs are sung the pubs and clubs where does this end.

When people stop posting stupid pictures and videos................It's that simple, it's the fans that are providing the ammunition the club can be hammered with, not the club.

For using a term which is unacceptable. The club have been consistent on the matter. Any use of that word is not acceptable.
what term is not acceptable? 19th Century Terrorist? Celtic fans describe themselves as 19th Century Terrorists.

When people stop posting stupid pictures and videos................It's that simple, it's the fans that are providing the ammunition the club can be hammered with, not the club.
This will never stop now its the age when people post whatever they want to garner likes.

These are an example of Celtic fans that all describe themselves as 19th Century Terrorists

Well done on completely missing the point

Slow clap all round for you

This is strawman nonsense.

It's quite simple, if you feel you must (not you personally) refer to them as 19th Century Terrorist bastards don't make a massive flag with it written on it and then pose for fucking pictures with it then post it on social media for the entire world to see. Is that clear enough?

Moronic banner.

I can only assume the ones involved don’t have jobs?

I’d imagine most people would be getting called in to see HR if they were all over the press with a banner like that.

Can't tell if some posters have already forgotten about our UEFA problems this season or if they're just being deliberately difficult.

Almost raises a chuckle if it wasn't so serious.

They paid a lot of money for the banner and then posed with it like a baby proud of their first poo in the big potty.
It would have been more economic to get Dickhead tattooed on their foreheads.

The term 19th Century Terrorist and or 19th Century Terrorist Bastards is deemed racist by UEFA

Fucking racist!

And yet we STILL have folk on here giving it "aye but what about what the celtic fans say"

We will never ever win the battle we have with our own fans when people arent prepared to change

Its absolutely soul destroying

Our own bloody chairman and manager have told the mindless idiots to wrap it on numerous occasions. For %^*& say listen to them

I haven't missed the point at all. I'm telling you, it's not sectarian to say you hate Celtic and the term 19th Century Terrorist is a term Celtic fans use themselves and call themselves and if used in the correct context is not sectarian.

It was being filmed with the banner that was stupid.

19th Century Terrorist bastard is racist in UEFAs eyes

What are you not getting here?

what term is not acceptable? 19th Century Terrorist? Celtic fans describe themselves as 19th Century Terrorists.
What a rubbish argument. Black people call themselves the N word, and Jews call themselves Yids. Just because they use it, does not allow you to in a derogatory manner. It’s pathetic that some people would rather play on the semantics of language rather than accept that the use of certain words has no place in the world of being a Rangers fan anymore.

Latest posts

Back