The Club In Process of Banning Fans For “Offensive Banner”

That's my thinking. They're getting a ban just for having a banner. That can't be right.

Utterly stupid thing to put on a banner. No idea what they were thinking about and they must have known it would bring the wrong sort of attention but I don't see how it's Rangers position to act on it if its not in a stadium.
The banner reflects badly on Rangers and by banning the fans pictured with the banner, it sends the message that the club will act on matters that show us in a bad light, regardless of it being in a stadium or not, and that may make people think twice.

It's also allows the club to show UEFA that they are doing everything they can to eradicate this from the Rangers support.

It further helps put a positive spin on yet another 'Rangers bad' story so gleefully written by the SMS Journo-bloggers.

I'm sure Roma will tell you that's not true.
They were sanctioned for the Liverpool fan being stabbed outside the stadium.
That was outside the ground but literally right behind the Kop.

uefa have admitted before they can’t do anything about things away from the stadium

The banner didn’t offend me one bit and it wasn’t in the stadium so it’s got nowt to with UEFA.

If Rangers go down the route of banning folk for a banner displayed nowhere near the game (stating something we all think anyway) then we’re going down a dangerous path.

As for the European song book - it’s been cleaned up. Anything naughty the other night may have occurred during a song played by the home PA system and at half time when it was played again the UB’s tried to start follow follow Glasgow Rangers - to avoid the possibility of naughty words again. We are trying as a support and getting there imo

I saw another banner that this might have been about. Some of our fans really don't think twice before plastering their faces all over social media.

I genuinely think that if/when we get through the group the club will advise UEFA that we won't be accepting any away tickets for the knockout stage.

The risk of a stadium closure is just too big a risk to take, both financially and reputationally.

Looks like the club are being a bit hard line now. They have asked nicely but some don’t listen. 19th Century Terrorist is not acceptable anymore.

Unfortunately, this hardline approach is a sad inevitability. Expect CCTV reviews and fans being banned/ejected during matches. It won't be pretty and some will not like it.

It's fair to say that the club have done their best to communicate what is and what isn't acceptable.

Further UEFA punishments will cost the club millions in revenue, impact our reputation and potentially cost us players/management who won't want to be associated with this.

We can't say we weren't warned.

Playing complete devils advocate here, they didn’t display it in the stadium, how can the club then ban them? It was displayed in a public space? For the record the banner is idiotic and those that produced it clearly cannot see where the club is trying to go.

Remember the Chelsea fans involved in a racist incident on the Paris Metro? They were banned by the club.

UEFA can't take action for events happening outside the stadium but there's no rules or regulations stopping clubs from taking action against the behaviour of their support no matter where it takes place.

It's the same as hooligan banning orders. This rarely happens within the confines of the stadium however clubs and authorities can ban from attending matches.

Theory goes If we get our house in order and the tims still play up then we'll be able to hammer them and turn the tables with improved press.The moral high ground strategy. Anyone who's got experience of NI and the media over there would understand it's not going to pan out like that.

What will happen as in NI. We'll cut our culture to the bone over the next few years but every time our fans step a tiny bit out of line we'll still get hammered as the problem while the tims will run wild as usual and the media will give them a pass regardless of the facts and how much ground we've given up.

It's road to nowhere strategy..across the water and here. It's very similar in terms of a one sided sectarianism process and where that leads.

Is the correct answer!

You would think that some of the Rangers supporters venting their outrage at the banner had just arrived from another planet.
The narrative has been well and truly set.
You mention/say the word 19th Century Terrorist and you are accused of being sectarian and or racist. It is neither. This isn't Alice in Fucking Wonderland where words mean what you want them to mean.
All of this on the same forum where agitation against voting SNP has it's own thread.
We need to get organised and fight the good fight. We are pussies who are being overwhelmed by a more politically astute enemy.
I've been a Rangers fan a long time and I don't recognise some of vitriol being dished out to Rangers fans who made up a banner.
It's becoming a chore.

The fact that some on here dont see anything wrong with the banner sums what the club is up against

Utterly staggering

Im puzzled as to what’s wrong with it given they tag themselves “unrepentant 19th Century Terrorist b@stards”...,

I can see why the club have acted but the unwashed have a f*cking cheek being offended by it when it’s a term they use as a badge of honour.

You are moving into a different argument there.

While I agree that the sectarian industry is one sided against us, the way to fight it isn't by Shouting about 19th Century Terrorists or the Pope at Rangers games. That's just playing into our enemies hands.

As for Northern Ireland, just listen to the songs that the GAWA sing. They don't sing about the Pope and 19th Century Terrorists and they are a better support for it. In fact I would say that they are the best international support in Europe and I would bet the majority of them are bears.

If they can give up the uber prod stuff at the football then why can't us Scottish folk do it?
Your absolutely correct in your observation on the GAWA mate and the vast majority would agree with the sentiments on the flag in question.
But the bigger picture on winning hearts and minds on the international/European stage is vital for the progress in getting our great club back where it belongs and that's competing and winning at the top level.
Your personal beliefs on the vermin and the vile cult they follow should be said and shown at the right times and places and not on flags or at games.
That's the reality in the modern world, the club have no option but ban the bears in question and I'm in complete agreement.
A harsh lesson for the lads but they've only themselves to blame.

I genuinely think that if/when we get through the group the club will advise UEFA that we won't be accepting any away tickets for the knockout stage.

The risk of a stadium closure is just too big a risk to take, both financially and reputationally.
I think you are spot on. By some accounts we have dodged a bullet here. The risk ratio increases both financially and reputationally in the next stage of the tournament. It’s absurd that we are even discussing this.

A full stadium closure has got to be in the one million pounds range. Think about that for a second.

I'm sure Roma will tell you that's not true.
They were sanctioned for the Liverpool fan being stabbed outside the stadium.
Yet the Lazio fans can get tooled up to the hilt and wander Glasgow with no action from Police or UEFA, it’s a mess.

If you display that banner then you are no fan of Rangers. A 5 year old kid would know that could lead to a ban and stadium closure. Same with the add ons/songs. How many fines/closures do you want before we get the message. It’s is mentally challenged behaviour at its worst. Likewise for the Final this Sunday. No offensive/sectarian banners or songs to detract from us winning our first trophy in 8 years. You know the usual suspect are already penning their “sectarian bile” reports in case their team loses. Give them nothing - zero ammunition so we can all laugh at them having to actually report about the game and The Famous Glasgow Rangers

A happy medium could be found. Maybe people like me could accept not singing those songs in Europe much easier but if there was less of an attempt to stamp it out domestically so it doesn't feel like a total assault on a certain way of thinking.

We won't get punished for singing the F word in domestic football or billy boys. Infact i can't remember us ever being punished in domestic football for it. Any domestic punishment would directly benefit the bheasts so it's politically harder compared to Europe plus if you did us for songs in SPL then the bheasts who are far worse would be open aswell.

:D

Are you that attached to singing three or four words? :)

You really think Rangers would allow it to be belted out week in, week out, then ask people to remember to be quiet come a European night?

You’re at it.

Yet the Lazio fans can get tooled up to the hilt and wander Glasgow with no action from Police or UEFA, it’s a mess.

UEFA can and will act on anything that happens within the stadium footprint, that’s why Roma were sanctioned and Lazio weren’t. I’m not sure why people struggle to grasp that.

The banner didn’t offend me one bit and it wasn’t in the stadium so it’s got nowt to with UEFA.

If Rangers go down the route of banning folk for a banner displayed nowhere near the game (stating something we all think anyway) then we’re going down a dangerous path.

As for the European song book - it’s been cleaned up. Anything naughty the other night may have occurred during a song played by the home PA system and at half time when it was played again the UB’s tried to start follow follow Glasgow Rangers - to avoid the possibility of naughty words again. We are trying as a support and getting there imo

If fans continue to make banners like that and plaster it all over the internet we’re going down a dangerous path. It’s doesnt reflect well on the club at all especially in this day and age. It’s awful PR, we want to be attractive to investors and we’ve got the right men on the board and a superstar name in the dug which can help us greatly, but nonsense like this is completely counter productive. And of course it’s just not fair on the vast majority of our fans who can behave and represent Rangers well, they ultimately get tarred with the same brush as these diddies and that hardly seems fair.

?

You’re not suggesting these 5 individuals took a few days off work, had a flag made, travelled to the airport, through security and unfurled it for a photo, but are indeed, mentally challengeds, are you?

He probably is. We had an absolute nutter on a thread the other night claiming that anyone who didn’t defend the indefensible was a “media plant”. It was quite the meltdown.

Not

Remarkable reply.

That’s Timmy logic mate.

Sectarian banner, made by and taken to the game by a few inbred morons.

“Bloody mhedia!!! Boooooooooo!”

I think I there's a bit of confusion about what banner we are talking about here.
I was referring to the Nightmare in Rotterdam banner with the red flares behind it, NOT the we hate Celtic banner, which is just crazy to post online, but the banner was never taken into the ground

Last edited:
19th Century Terrorist bastard is racist in UEFAs eyes

What are you not getting here?
You are just as thick as them, trying to defend a
So Rangers are now banning people for a flag that was displayed outside the stadium

Worrying turn of events for everyone I think.

Very dangerous path to go down
Banning brainless tossers seems like progress to me, I wouldn't want the idiots in my house.

the word 19th Century Terrorist is one thing, but when you combine it with bas****d then it's another. if they had a banner with black instead of 19th Century Terrorist they would be in jail by now. its the same thing and people need to realise it's not the 1980s anymore

Im puzzled as to what’s wrong with it given they tag themselves “unrepentant 19th Century Terrorist b@stards”...,

I can see why the club have acted but the unwashed have a f*cking cheek being offended by it when it’s a term they use as a badge of honour.
You know how they work and how manipulative that they are. They are and have made out that they are like the blacks in the USA. Refused access to work, discriminated against and called offensive names.

Much like how the black community use the N word when talking amongst themselves, they are claiming that they use the F word when describing themselves as an act of defiance.

The simple solution is just to ignore them. Our love for Rangers is not defined by hatred of Celtic.

I see others on here saying they hate Celtic. I don't. Hate is such an energy sapping emotion and will dominate your life and ultimately cast a massive shadow over your thoughts and decisions.

Love Rangers - Celtic... meh.

UEFA can’t punish any club for incidents of any kind outside the grounds.
Yes, however it would be naive to think that they do not cognisance of such stupidity as this, so that when we do breach their stadium rules they make sure that we are punished. It's ridiculous to try and defend these idiots.

Playing complete devils advocate here, they didn’t display it in the stadium, how can the club then ban them? It was displayed in a public space? For the record the banner is idiotic and those that produced it clearly cannot see where the club is trying to go.

Possibly the same way your employer can sack you for sectarian bile spouted on social media.
We are always on here screaming for employers to take action against their staff when we see anti Rangers sectarian posts, so lets not go down the road of trying to protect our "Fans" who do the same sort of thing.

Reactions: GF7
the word 19th Century Terrorist is one thing, but when you combine it with bas****d then it's another. if they had a banner with black instead of 19th Century Terrorist they would be in jail by now. its the same thing and people need to realise it's not the 1980s anymore

That’s a ridiculous assertion.

It doesn't make it right but you can kind of understand people having one too many and coming out with some of the add ons to certain songs but these idiots with the flag would have been sober arranging it getting made, sober packing it to take to the airport and still too stupid not to think its a bad idea.

If that's their decision making sober, imagine these morons with a few drinks in them. It may not have been at a football ground but the club are right to ban them. We cannot have that flag appearing inside Ibrox.

I personally think Freedom of speech should permit any such banner.

If someone wants to put a racially abusive message on a flag, then let them. Also allow for the justified backlash they will suffer.

Too many people get offended in today's world and it is pathetic. I dont cry when a mentally challenged calls me an orange bastard. I'm not and they are wrong.

The club, however, needs to get a grip on these flares from a uefa point of view. Great to see but dangerous and most fans dont want them.

I don't disagree mate, but we know exactly where we stand regarding 19th Century Terrorists.
We can't worry about what anyone else is doing.

The level of intelligence of some people on here makes me cringe, no wonder the club struggles to move on.
I am just going back through this thread and clarifying my comment. I was referring to the Nightmare in Rotterdam banner, and not the WE Hate Celtic.

That was outside the ground but literally right behind the Kop.

uefa have admitted before they can’t do anything about things away from the stadium
Now that I think about it, we were done for the Villarreal team bus getting pelted in 2006.
Only last season we were looking at possible sanctions after the two Osijek fans were 'stabbed'.

I think what's pretty clear here is that they took the flag with the intention of taking it to the game, it's more than likely the backlash to their airport picture is what saved us.

UEFA might not be able to act on it, but Rangers are to be applauded for not taking any risks.

The feckwits who paid a bit of money to get the flag printed , who stuffed it into the limited baggage allowance they would have , who preened with it at the airport , did intend to take it to the match and we are kidding ourselves if we don't acknowledge that.
They may have changed their mind after the feedback they got when they posted it on social media.

I personally think Freedom of speech should permit any such banner.

If someone wants to put a racially abusive message on a flag, then let them. Also allow for the justified backlash they will suffer.

Too many people get offended in today's world and it is pathetic. I dont cry when a mentally challenged calls me an orange bastard. I'm not and they are wrong.

Rangers have every right to ask such banners not to be made in their name. It's nothing to do with being "offended".

I think it’s harsh if they are going to ban people for the pyro ,

This isn’t just Rangers but all over the country club will ban people for pyro and flares etc until the club win and then they use these images as promotion , either the clubs are completed against it or they can try and promote the safe use of pyro ( likely never happen I know )

If those responsible pay the fine, they don't get banned. That won't happen so the club have to take action.

Now that I think about it, we were done for the Villarreal team bus getting pelted in 2006.
Only last season we were looking at possible sanctions after the two Osijek fans were 'stabbed'.

I think what's pretty clear here is that they took the flag with the intention of taking it to the game, it's more than likely the backlash to their airport picture is what saved us.

UEFA might not be able to act on it, but Rangers are to be applauded for not taking any risks.
I agree with you about the banner, it’s never gonna be acceptable to unfurl that inside a stadium and in an ideal world people can say what they want without people getting all mock offended.

A ban won’t stop them from attending though itl just make it harder to get tickets

It was a stupid banner and in all fairness they shouldn't be made welcome. It baffles me the stupid attention that some of our fans want to bring about on the club.

As for the suggestion that the club can't ban them? Why not?

Just for the record I never said In my last post there was nothing wrong with the banner. This day and age it shouldn’t be BUT the picture is at a airport. What next a drunk in the street singing bad songs gets done and if hes a season ticket holder he has it taken of him?.
Probably not - that might be a little too far. However, if the person decided to post it all over social media themselves or as part of their own group, bringing unnecessary attention on the club then perhaps they should?

Might not get us a uefa punishment, but it does absolutely nothing for our reputation and gives the media constant ammunition to batter into us. Also shows a complete lack of respect for the club's campaign and creates a culture and environment of letting the bullshit creep back into the stadium.

I don't give a %^*& if they're brand new on a bus, they paid to get a huge Rangers flag made and put Celtic on it, not just that but they then called them 19th Century Terrorists on it, not just that but they then posted it online after taking it abroad to a European away game. That's not the actions of some 'brand new' guys, that's the actions of some grade A fucking knobends
We're now at a stage where we have quite a few r.c. Players playing for us it's long past time we bin them, we're better than that lot, let's prove it.

I agree with you about the banner, it’s never gonna be acceptable to unfurl that inside a stadium and in an ideal world people can say what they want without people getting all mock offended.

A ban won’t stop them from attending though itl just make it harder to get tickets
It'll need someone who isn't Rangers to provide them though.

Who'd be the fan putting these guys before Rangers competing in Europe?

Not sure I agree with the club on this to be honest. As far as I know the photo with the banner wasn't in the stadium. It was a daft post on social media, yes. But where do they draw the line here?
Where do you think the guys with this banner took it after their photo shoot, did the just leave it at the airport or maybe the pub they where in or maybe they actually took it to the stadium?
Serious question btw.

Last edited:
Back