League Cup Final wins over Celtic part 4. 2003

dh1963

The 2 teams were miles clear of the rest in the league, and both going for the treble.
Celtic were also on a winning run in the UEFA Cup.

Rangers had won both cups the previous season under new manager Alex McLeish, and seemed to have found the way to beat Martin O Neill's previously dominant Celtic.

This one was a real game of 2 halves, with a heart stopping finish and an explosion of Rangers joy at the end.

The first leg of our last treble was won.

A great day.

Remember the offside goal and penalty miss as if they were yesterday .was in the west stand that day first cup final v them .

Was at this with my dad as a 12 year old - first Old Firm game.... What a feeling remember it like yesterday.

My old mans mate swears to this day fat boy missed that penalty on purpose :)) backed rangers he says hes a mad old bastard Tbf

Last edited:
Fantastic first half that day, first Old Firm cup final.

Second half we were awful however and that with hindsight was when O'Neill knew he had outsmarted McLeish as we wouldn't beat them again till November 2004 in the League Cup.

Though with extra man advantage still hard to see us lose that day in extra time even if they scored penalty.

What a day. Bus left early and went to the Calvay Club pre-match. Left for the game and somehow ended up entering from the Aitkenhead Road end. Was interesting to say the least, ended up with the front upstairs window of the double decker in the road. :)

A truly magical day.

Their 3-5-2 was tough until we starting using Lovenkrands and Caniggia's pace against it.

Fantastic first half that day, first Old Firm cup final.

Second half we were awful however and that with hindsight was when O'Neill knew he had outsmarted McLeish as we wouldn't beat them again till November 2004 in the League Cup.

Though with extra man advantage still hard to see us lose that day in extra time even if they scored penalty.

They beat us time and again the following season not because O'Neill did something clever, his tactics never changed.
We started losing regularly because we lost half a team to save money and replaced them with inferior players.

Vanoli for Numan
Berg for Amoruso
Emerson for Ferguson
Capucho for McCann

No wonder we lost every game.

Was in the North Stand near the segregation. Had a feeling Hartson was going to miss at the end.

The thug that was Balde should have been red carded in the first half, long, long, long before he dived to get that penalty.
There is a clip showing an incident involving Balde and, I think it’s Mols on this occasion.
We’re 2-0 up and Balde clashes with Rangers player in the scum penalty box.
Decision should have been a penalty and red card for Balde.
A chance to go three up by half time.
The camera angle of this shows from behind the Rangers left back area.

There is a clip showing an incident involving Balde and, I think it’s Mols on this occasion.
We’re 2-0 up and Balde clashes with Rangers player in the scum penalty box.
Decision should have been a penalty and red card for Balde.
A chance to go three up by half time.
The camera angle of this shows from behind the Rangers left back area.

There was also an off the ball incident on the touchline on our right, that the linesman had to have seen.

The filth spout their guff about 'Masonic refs' as of rote. Just trot out lies long enough and it becomes accepted as truth That's how propaganda works.

Of course when you have a scum press willing, able and all too willing to spread said propaganda, and our club unwilling to counteract, then no wonder we're always on the back foot?

Reality is, in the last fifty years or so, the legitimate grievances we have had in OF encounters is off the scale.

I could go into them, but I'm getting ready to go to my graft. So to list but some of them, from say, James Callaghan refusing to send off John Hughes for assaulting wee bud at the cesspit in August 1969 after already being cautioned previously, would mean I'd miss my bus.

What a day. Bus left early and went to the Calvay Club pre-match. Left for the game and somehow ended up entering from the Aitkenhead Road end. Was interesting to say the least, ended up with the front upstairs window of the double decker in the road. :)

A truly magical day.
I remember that haha it was the whole window too the rubber seal and everything went out the way and bounced on the pavement beside loads of beasts :D

You sometimes briefly forget that the mentally challengeds were unbelievably dirty.

I love hearing this Celtic way patter. The majority of teams I’ve witnessed in my 30 years have been carthorse types.

We played round them that day. Mols links the play beautifully.

Back