Memories of Dynamo Kiev 1987.

TNT

Official Ticketer
Back in 1987, having won the league for the first time in 9 years, we were drawn against Dynamo Kiev in the first round of the Champions Cup.

They were the Champions of the Soviet Union. The USSR World Cup team of 1986 was basically that team (apart from Dassaev in goals).

The away leg was beamed back to Ibrox. I wasn't there - but I think there was trouble seeing it due to the sunshine. Bears were joining the communist party to make the away leg.

We lost the away leg 1-0 due to a penalty converted by Alexei Mikhailichenko.

Return leg at Ibrox. I had a season ticket for the Govan Rear. Even going into the ground, you could spot something right away..............the touchlines had been brought in!

Dynamo had trained on the wider pitch on the Tuesday - before Souness changed the dimensions.

44,500 fans. No away fans - as it was the time of communism. It could even have been the first time Dynamo had shirt sponsors!

Looking at the teams again, I was quite surprised that the Rangers team included John McGregor and Avi Cohen. Trevor Francis on the right.

Dynamo players were household names at that time after the 1986 world cup. Bessanov, Baltacha, Kuznetsov, Rats (who had scored a cracker in Mexico) Yakovenko, Yaremchuk, Mikhailichenko. Numbers 10 and 11 were Igor Belanov - who was European player of the year at the time - and former holder of the title, Oleg Blokhin. Coach was the legendary Valery Lobanovsky.

The first goal, which later featured in QoS What happened Next was a fluke. Chanov threw against the back of the defenders leg. McCoist picked it up and squared to Falco.

Second goal in the 2nd half was a free-kick headed back across goal by Butcher. McCoist totally miss-hits the header.........and the keeper is wrong footed. 2-0. Game over.

Ever since then I have always had a wee thing for that club. I was looking at their website last night and was surprised to see Mikhailichenko is back as coach again.

It was a totally different time back then. Soviets weren't allowed to go abroad. One of the first to do so was Sergei Baltacha who went to Ipswich - and then St Johnstone. Then we signed Kuznetsov. Mikhailichenko came to us from Sampdoria.

I went into their legends section. And their legend team includes Miko and Olly.

That would be an interesting legends game don't you think?

I have emailed Dynamo - and messaged big Marv re. a possible "legends game". Think it would be a goer?

Quite possibly the best atmosphere at a game ever,it was truly special.I was in the yellow section,Govan Front.Almost broke both my kneecaps when the second goal went in.Standing cheering the team over the line in the closing minutes was incredible.I can’t believe it was over thirty years ago,now.
It will always be in my top five games ever.

Was at the beamback missed school that afternoon 4pm UK time kick-off yes the screen the put in front of the Govan and you hardly see anything due to the sunshine and time of day

Always remember one fan running on and sitting next to the centre circle spot

I think some may have joined the Communist Party but others went on organised sports trips I think around 100 travelled

Home leg some atmosphere

Yes,we went to Ibrox to watch the Away game on the beamback.
The majority of their crowd looked like military personnel.
Yes,was at that myself in the east enclosure. Ibrox game was something else. After coisty scored I think it was just 5 mins into the second half,after that it was the longest 40 mins of my life. Couldn't even get a pint down after the game as my stomach was in knots

One of my first European games (maybe my second after Ilves Tampere?) The loudest I've ever heard Ibrox.

It sticks in my mind for another reason altogether though. The following day, my school had a bomb scare (for real) and we got moved out to the pitch and, obviously, it was those Russians that had planted the bomb according to the buzz around the school! We got sent home. That was the best bit.

Came out the ground shaking with adrenaline, the atmosphere was incredible. Kiev were one of the top teams in Europe at that time, its like us putting out Liverpool or Barcelona these days, and we were worthy winners at that.

Souness narrowing the pitch to stifle Rats.

I was in Copland Front and swear McCoist was smiling as he scored the header.

The noise was amazing and watching that video I can see myself in the Broomloan front.

Reactions: TNT
Back in 1987, having won the league for the first time in 9 years, we were drawn against Dynamo Kiev in the first round of the Champions Cup.

They were the Champions of the Soviet Union. The USSR World Cup team of 1986 was basically that team (apart from Dassaev in goals).

The away leg was beamed back to Ibrox. I wasn't there - but I think there was trouble seeing it due to the sunshine. Bears were joining the communist party to make the away leg.

Return leg at Ibrox. I had a season ticket for the Govan Rear. Even going into the ground, you could spot something right away..............the touchlines had been brought in!

Dynamo had trained on the wider pitch on the Tuesday - before Souness changed the dimensions.

44,500 fans. No away fans - as it was the time of communism. It could even have been the first time Dynamo had shirt sponsors!

Looking at the teams again, I was quite surprised that the Rangers team included John McGregor and Avi Cohen. Trevor Francis on the right.

Dynamo players were household names at that time after the 1986 world cup. Bessanov, Baltacha, Kuznetsov, Rats (who had scored a cracker in Mexico) Yakovenko, Yaremchuk, Mikhailichenko. Numbers 10 and 11 were Igor Belanov - who was European player of the year at the time - and former holder of the title, Oleg Blokhin. Coach was the legendary Valery Lobanovsky.

The first goal, which later featured in QoS What happened Next was a fluke. Chanov threw against the back of the defenders leg. McCoist picked it up and squared to Falco.

Second goal in the 2nd half was a free-kick headed back across goal by Butcher. McCoist totally miss-hits the header.........and the keeper is wrong footed. 2-0. Game over.

Ever since then I have always had a wee thing for that club. I was looking at their website last night and was surprised to see Mikhailichenko is back as coach again.

It was a totally different time back then. Soviets weren't allowed to go abroad. One of the first to do so was Sergei Baltacha who went to Ipswich - and then St Johnstone. Then we signed Kuznetsov. Mikhailichenko came to us from Sampdoria.

I went into their legends section. And their legend team includes Miko and Olly.

Over 50,000 in Ibrox that night!best atmosphere outside of old firm games, Kiev,Matt

Definitely over 50,000 that night! Kiev,Marseille,parma best three atmospheres outside old firm and Aberdeen title decider.

Over 50,000 in Ibrox that night!best atmosphere outside of old firm games, Kiev,Matt

Definitely over 50,000 that night! Kiev,Marseille,parma best three atmospheres outside old firm and Aberdeen title decider.
The attendance was under 45000, Ibrox never held 50000 back then.

The noisiest ive ever heard Ibrox with Parma 99 just behind it.

I was in the West Enclosure and it was fucking nuts,im also sure that there was a kgb guy or something similar just along from us because amongst the mayhem he stood there bolt upright expressionless during the whole game

Got sent home from my yts the following day because i had no voice because of all the singing,i was supposed to be answering phones to customers

Kiev in ‘87 underlines exactly why all these greeting faced so-and-so’s that we have to contend with on FF these days have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

The noisiest ive ever heard Ibrox with Parma 99 just behind it.

I was in the West Enclosure and it was fucking nuts,im also sure that there was a kgb guy or something similar just along from us because amongst the mayhem he stood there bolt upright expressionless during the whole game

Got sent home from my yts the following day because i had no voice because of all the singing,i was supposed to be answering phones to customers

Can you imagine FF in 1987.......

avi Cohen? Wtf.

Same wi John Mcgregor.

Be meltdown wi that team-myself included.

Avi Cohen no longer wi us. Neither is the kiev keeper Viktor Chanov

I was in the East Encosure that night,with my Dad,and my lifelong best mate....we were roughly level with the 18 yard box and when Ally McCoist scored the 2nd goal,the place went mental....THE best atmosphere I've experienced at Ibrox.

Watched the away leg on tv at work- 100k at the national stadium in Kiev,. Lucky to escape with a 1-0 defear although John McGregor should have scored an away goal

Was at the home game in the east enclosue (tickets £3), aged 18 (50 now) and as others have said, the noise was unbelievable. 2-0 up and Kiev's team of Siviet internationals were playing 1-2s around the box looking for the deadly away goal in th last 10 mins - I couldn't watch. What a night. Back to the Woodcutter in Abronhill for a lock-in. Working the next morning after 4 hours sleep

Hsppy days

was at that game atmosphere was electric

Quite possibly the best atmosphere at a game ever,it was truly special.I was in the yellow section,Govan Front.Almost broke both my kneecaps when the second goal went in.Standing cheering the team over the line in the closing minutes was incredible.I can’t believe it was over thirty years ago,now.
It will always be in my top five games ever.
My dad says it was shaking that night 4 years before I was born

I was there the best and loudest. I've ever been to..

I was 10 years old. My da took me and I had no idea what I was walking into. Noise I haven’t heard since

This was my 1st game I went to on my own as a teenager without my dad or a lift. I was in the EE and what a noise man, I still well-up thinking about it. It's great being a Ranger!

Pretty sure the beamback was during the day and my dad let me skip school as mentioned the sunshine was a problem with two screens at the Govan stand as we were in Enclosure.
Walking to the home leg we were offered 100 quid for ticket and I offered my dad to give mine up as we had money issue at the time, after the clip round the ear was told I wont ever forget this game and how right he was (Thanks auld man) as still best atmosphere I remember across many years, was shaking for a long time after final whistle

East Enclosure for the beam back which was weird due to the sunshine on the big screen. Does anyone know what the attendance was for this? Don't recall the EE being packed. West Enclosure for the home game and best atmosphere I've experienced at Ibrox- it seemed like we were singing and roaring on t be team for the full 90 minutes. I have a theory that we had a younger support then with more energy and also more passion than today's youth who seem dulled by social media and other experiences. I don't think we'll ever better it.

Watched the away leg on tv at work- 100k at the national stadium in Kiev,. Lucky to escape with a 1-0 defear although John McGregor should have scored an away goal

Was at the home game in the east enclosue (tickets £3), aged 18 (50 now) and as others have said, the noise was unbelievable. 2-0 up and Kiev's team of Siviet internationals were playing 1-2s around the box looking for the deadly away goal in th last 10 mins - I couldn't watch. What a night. Back to the Woodcutter in Abronhill for a lock-in. Working the next morning after 4 hours sleep

Hsppy days

I missed out on the Woody due to work commitments next day but what a night at Ibrox. A great pub back then Joan and Suzanne were brilliant barmaids( there's a term that would get you jailed now.

One of the things I remember most was the sheer volume of noise. I remember going home on the 34 bus with my pal and my ears still ringing.

Another thing, Kiev only needed one goal to go through and were pressing hard at the end. As OP said, they had class throughout their team so we knew we were up against it. In injury time they were knocking it about probing for an opening and the tension was unbearable. An overhit pass resulted in a miscontrol by Blockin and it went out for a Rangers shy. Ibrox erupted as if Rangers had scored.

My Granda had passed away that week so this was a special game for me. Two of the worst, but most important goals you can get as well.

What a night!

Atmosphere unsurpassed since.
The wall of noise in the last 15minutes simply grew and grew.
That night we were truly the 12th man.

In the Copland Front (blue section) with the old boy, outwith Goughs equaliser against the mhockits the following month (2-2 game) this was the loudest and best atmosphere I’ve experienced.

Back