Gerrard confirmed Morelos was penalty taker

He wouldn’t have collected the ball if that was the case

Saving face for his captain? Why did Alfie not grab the ball himself if he was the pen taker?

Absolutely sounds like it.

If Tav did bottle it then fair enough he said and handed it over, not great but better than going through with it knowing you are likely to miss.

I just can't see morelos being the penalty taker. His main weakness is when he has to much time to think about things in front of goal.

It’s just one of those things unfortunately, we’ve missed a few penalties this season and it has grown into an issue. The pressure on the taker is increased as a result.

Absolutely sounds like it.

If Tav did bottle it then fair enough he said and handed it over, not great but better than going through with it knowing you are likely to miss.

I just can't see morelos being the penalty taker. His main weakness is when he has to much time to think about things in front of goal.

Morelos was named as second-choice penalty taker by Gerrard some time ago.

The want to pin absolutely everything on the captain is an actual embarrassment.

"He's a bottle merchant and needs taken off penalties" - gives penalties to best player and top scorer... "ah he's a bottle merchant he should haves stood up and taken it" - well the manager confirmed that he wasn't meant to taken them "ah well it's just the manager covering his arse"

The guy just can't do right for doing wrong with some.

Morelos was standing on the spot waiting for the ball. Do folk have that much of a downer on Tav now that they are calling out our Manager as a liar so they can have a go at Tav?
Quite simply, yes they do.

It was a public display of support from the captain to the best striker in the league who is having 'but he huzny scored against eh sellik' held agaibst him, despite scoring against better teams in higher level games.

If Alfie had scored, you'd still have the same people complaining that Tav gave him the ball and shat it, because that's what they want to see.

And its always the same names.

No hes doing what all good managers do and hes taken the flack for our captain who didnt fancy it.

Why did Tav walk up and grab the ball??
Public handing over of the reigns.

Get the crowd behind Alfie even more.

A 'it's your time, wee man' sort of moment.

Replays don't show it but at the game Tav was first in the penalty box shouting for the ball. That's why he's the one who hands it to Morelos. Not sure why that would be the case if Morelos was on them.

Think Gerrard may be protecting Tav here.

Replays don't show it but at the game Tav was first in the penalty box shouting for the ball. That's why he's the one who hands it to Morelos. Not sure why that would be the case if Morelos was on them.

Think Gerrard may be protecting Tav here.
I’ll tell you what.
If I’d seen Tavernier walk away from the spot leaving it for another player, I’d be thinking he’d decided, only at that point, not to be involved.

Of all the games to change penalty taker we choose this one. Why? Honestly just why? If we wanted Tav off them it should've happened ages ago. Morelos was under far more pressure to score it than Tav would've.

Of all the games to change penalty taker we choose this one. Why? Honestly just why? If we wanted Tav off them it should've happened ages ago. Morelos was under far more pressure to score it than Tav would've.
Be honest, like the rest of us, you were over the moon Morelos was hitting that penalty(before he hits it!!) I know I was and if we could go back in time, I'd pick him again!!

Your right, not a hibs reject but a decent player. But how many goals has he scored and how many has Greg Stewart scored.
Stewart may even have been a better shout than Defoe who only had one shot at goal.
It is what it is. The gaffer calls it how he sees it. Maybe Barker shows more in training. I dont know.
What i do know is we have to forget it amd focus on rest of this month and win every game then the players can have a rest

Back