Why did Tav get the pen away?

Maybe but Morelos has been desperate to take penalties and is on form.
He has to put it away, end of.

there’s an art to penalty taking. You also need to do homework for them too.

if Morelos was given the chance to take such an important penalty at the last minute, he won’t have had a chance to think about where to put it.

I could’ve told you he was smashing it low left. He doesn’t have it in him to side foot it to the right. Couldn’t have been easier for the goalie to decide.

dont think I’ll get over that today

Gerrard has critisised the players before this season, so you'd imagine he would've done the same tonight.

Tavernier is the convenient scapegoat, imo. But it'll be all "aye, wee alfie" etc. when it was he who actually missed the spotkick.

Tonight he'd have gone on record as saying that the captain of the club had ignored his request that he hit spot kicks and that he was thus partly/mostly responsible for us losing the game.

Not a chance he says that to anyone, least of all the captain, least of all a player who lots of fans already have it in for.

After the chances Morelos missed before the penalty, I didn't think he should have been hitting the penalty. I was with 6 other guys and none of us were confident he'd score it.

What happens when the guy who has been told he's on penalties has missed 3 or 4 good chances? Does the captain say take the penalty or does he take responsibility?

We've not had a penalty since he last talked about it and has came out today post-match to say Morelos was the designated taker.

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about the situation.

The fact that Gerrard hadn't confirmed we had a new penalty kick taker and the perceived confusion at the penalty (which hopefully a replay will clear up as it wasn't clear unless you were at the game).

After the chances Morelos missed before the penalty, I didn't think he should have been hitting the penalty. I was with 6 other guys and none of us were confident he'd score it.

What happens when the guy who has been told he's on penalties has missed 3 or 4 good chances? Does the captain say take the penalty or does he take responsibility?

He snatched at every shot today tried too hard at times was the wrong choice for the penalty.

Some embarrassing shit getting posted,I've been there bed time fur yous

We've not had a penalty since he last talked about it and has came out today post-match to say Morelos was the designated taker.

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about the situation.
He's not interested in the evidence that is out there pointing to there being a change in penalty taker,he prefers the ' Gerrard is a liar ' stance...........strange eh?

The fact that Gerrard hadn't confirmed we had a new penalty kick taker and the perceived confusion at the penalty (which hopefully a replay will clear up as it wasn't clear unless you were at the game).
He's not been asked since and is hardly going to say pre-game that Tav is off penalties.

I was at the game and saw Tav give Morelos encouragement before he took it. There was no confusion at the game from anyone around me.

He's not been asked since and is hardly going to say pre-game that Tav is off penalties.

I was at the game and saw Tav give Morelos encouragement before he took it. There was no confusion at the game from anyone around me.

That there hasn't been a chance for him to clarify who is on penalties doesn't mean there still wasn't confusion.

Plenty of people on these threads tonight saying there was confusion at the incident. I immediately thought Tav was taking it as Morelos was nowhere to be seen, but I admit I'd have to watch it again.

That there hasn't been a chance for him to clarify who is on penalties doesn't mean there still wasn't confusion.

Plenty of people on these threads tonight saying there was confusion at the incident. I immediately thought Tav was taking it as Morelos was nowhere to be seen, but I admit I'd have to watch it again.
Tav went over to Morelos to give him some encouragement.

I genuinely have no idea why you're believing the manger is a liar.

there’s an art to penalty taking. You also need to do homework for them too.

if Morelos was given the chance to take such an important penalty at the last minute, he won’t have had a chance to think about where to put it.

I could’ve told you he was smashing it low left. He doesn’t have it in him to side foot it to the right. Couldn’t have been easier for the goalie to decide.

dont think I’ll get over that today
Do your homework?
Hard, low with pace. Put it away, simple.

You're just lying now.
'Morelos was nowhere to be seen'
'There was confusion'
Stop digging!

Tav went over to Morelos to give him some encouragement.

I genuinely have no idea why you're believing the manger is a liar.

No, Morelos came up to Tav to receive the ball. Tav was in the box waiting for the ball and Morelos was nowhere to be seen.

Nice aggressive posturing. I'm suggesting that Gerrard says what he does tonight if Tav has fkced up.

No, Morelos came up to Tav to receive the ball. Tav was in the box waiting for the ball and Morelos was nowhere to be seen.

Nice aggressive posturing. I'm suggesting that Gerrard says what he does tonight if Tav has fkced up.
That's utter pish about Morelos being nowhere to be seen.

I'm not posturing. I just don't think our manager is a liar.

That's utter pish about Morelos being nowhere to be seen.

I'm not posturing. I just don't think our manager is a liar.

In that case I'll ask of you the same question as previously:

Imagine Tav fcked up and gave Morelos the penalty when he shouldn't have had, would you expect Gerrard to come out and publicly criticise the captain of Rangers when he'd already asked for the support to be more patient and tolerant of him?

Yes or no?

Pretty much every lady's front bottom a know wanted tav off penalties cause he missed some recently. Morelos makes a fucking arse of it by hitting one of the worst pens I’ve seen, and tav still gets the blame. Canny write it.
You could write it.

Because he gave it away in the most defining moment over the last 9 years.

In that case I'll ask of you the same question as previously:

Imagine Tav fcked up and gave Morelos the penalty when he shouldn't have had, would you expect Gerrard to come out and publicly criticise the captain of Rangers when he'd already asked for the support to be more patient and tolerant of him?

Yes or no?
Why imagine something that never happened?

Morelos was the penalty taker today. No amount of your whataboutery will change that.

Why imagine something that never happened?

Morelos was the penalty taker today. No amount of your whataboutery will change that.

Okay, so you're not going to answer.

I'll watch the incident again and make up my mind. In the meantime I'll know that you failed to provide an answer outlining an situation where our manager could (GASP!) tell a wee porkie.

I was behind the goal, tav picked the ball up and Alfie wanted it, defoe was at the post warming up and shouted to tav and was pointing at Alfie, tav then handed the ball over, I think Gerrard was covering by saying it was pre determined tbh. I can see why he handed it over after missing a few and having the crowd on his back, he has gave it to the man on form to break his hoodoo. It is just one of those things. If Alfie scores no one bat's an eye at tav giving it over, he may even have been praised for doing so, if tav takes it and misses then he is slated again, not one person would say "at least he stepped up like a leader"

We need to decide who is the pen taker and who is the backup moving forward
The man on form who has not scored against them in how many games :(

Not a go at you OP ,it still makes me angry :(

Okay, so you're not going to answer.

I'll watch the incident again and make up my mind. In the meantime I'll know that you failed to provide an answer outlining an situation where our manager could (GASP!) tell a wee porkie.
I'm not going to answer a hypothetical question to suit your agenda.

I believe our manager to be telling the truth and you think he's a liar.

We will leave it there.

Because idiots who know absolute nothing about football through moronic social media put pressure on him to give it up.
So tav made that decision based on social media options???
He’s our captain who’s been under performing on occasions this season & had a superb opportunity to lead from the front(what captains do),penalty v Celtic at the rangers end in a cup final and he passed the buck in my opinion!
He should’ve drilled that clean into the net & lapped it up then went on to pump those %^*& pigs who were a man down.
He has to be off penalty’s from now on,if it was pre arranged then he wouldnt have had the ball in his hands,I think he bricked it I’m afraid

I'm not going to answer a hypothetical question to suit your agenda.

I believe our manager to be telling the truth and you think he's a liar.

We will leave it there.

Go with the word liar if you want, then, and hold onto your lofty ideals that a Rangers manager might not be above protecting his players in public to avoid a vociferous backlash against a much maligned boo boy.

So every Rangers captain needs to take penalties ? He grafted today, put a lot into the game. Sick of hearing the same losers slag of a bloke that is knocking his pan in. But nothing like a scapegoat eh?
Not every rangers captain takes penalties no. But he was the designated penalty taker for a long long time and chose the biggest moment in our recent history to pass the buck. I'm sick of people trying to sugarcoat this.

Tonight he'd have gone on record as saying that the captain of the club had ignored his request that he hit spot kicks and that he was thus partly/mostly responsible for us losing the game.

Not a chance he says that to anyone, least of all the captain, least of all a player who lots of fans already have it in for.

He never hit the spot kick. Morelos did.

Not every rangers captain takes penalties no. But he was the designated penalty taker for a long long time and chose the biggest moment in our recent history to pass the buck. I'm sick of people trying to sugarcoat this.
Are you also in the 'Gerrard's a liar' camp?

Are you also in the 'Gerrard's a liar' camp?
Gerrard protecting his players is a white lie in the course of scum charlatans who have darkened our recent history. Should Tav take another pen? Nope? I want a Rangers Captain to be man enough to strike a penalty (particularly as nominated Penalty taker ) and miss...we need leaders. Gough was privileged enough to be surrounded by wonderful attacking players. But Richard Gough, score or miss as OUR Captain strikes that penalty, as does Butcher before him Greig and DJ, Laudrup and Ferguson after them

He is a coward and never a Rangers captain.... That was final straw today.

Imagine likes of Gough doing that? Sutton called him out and he did nothing to prove him wrong

The wrong game to change it. Morelos had no luck all day and there was far too much pressure on him to be the hero

I think we’re overreacting here.
The story is a simple one.
A. Tav had missed a few
B. The management had previously decided to switch the penalty taker to Alfie
C. When penalty was awarded it was the first one since the switch, it was only right for Tav to hand the ball to Alfie.
I personally thought it was the right decision at the time.
I suspect Alfie will now be practising penalties like a madman for the next few months

I quite believe Alfie was on penalties.

The issue is why was Tav up in the box with the ball handing it to Alfie, that alone looks like he was handing the responsibility

Stupid moment from an actual cluster phuck of a situation all round

I quite believe Alfie was on penalties.

The issue is why was Tav up in the box with the ball handing it to Alfie, that alone looks like he was handing the responsibility

Stupid moment from an actual cluster phuck of a situation all round
Maybe he was asking Morelos if he was up for it and if not he'd take it?

It's absolutely incredible the amount of posters on here who only show up when we have a bad result... Nowhere to be seen when we win.

A few of the usual suspects out in force in this thread.

That’s exactly what I thought afterwards.

Same. By the time the penalty came to be Alfie had been unlucky with quite a few chances already. Seemed Tav was making sure Morelos was okay to take the pen.

Tav could have overruled Gerrard's decision and missed. We'd be having the exact same debate on here only the semantics would be different. Why did Tav take another penalty would have been the jist of it. Seems the figure of hate weirdly remains the same in either situation.

This was never the game to switch penalty kick takers and should never have been Morelos. Alfie simply doesn’t have the composure in a one on one situation and he had been trying too hard too score throughout the game. Composure out the window, hit the ball as hard as he could.

Knew as soon as he stepped up he was going to miss.

Some amount of absolute roasters on here made to look stupid after Gerrard confirmed Morelos is the penalty taker.

Tav grabbed the ball, gave it to Morelos and presumably gave him words of encouragement yet the Rangers da's on here are calling him a coward for doing so.

Also funny how it's went from Tav shiting it to Gerrard covering for him. What's next? Fucking bunch of body language experts in the thread as well. Laughable.

Last edited:
So tav made that decision based on social media options???
He’s our captain who’s been under performing on occasions this season & had a superb opportunity to lead from the front(what captains do),penalty v Celtic at the rangers end in a cup final and he passed the buck in my opinion!
He should’ve drilled that clean into the net & lapped it up then went on to pump those %^*& pigs who were a man down.
He has to be off penalty’s from now on,if it was pre arranged then he wouldnt have had the ball in his hands,I think he bricked it I’m afraid
Like a lot on here it would appear you can't make up your mind whether you want him to take them or not. You're giving him a hard time for not performing like a captain and taking the penalty but now you don't want him to take penalties.

Which is it?

It would have been Gerrard's and Taverniers decision
Social media has a great influence on the media and as soon as he missed the last penalty and had a couple of poor games, the media were right on top of him based on social media and questions were being asked.

My opinion it was the wrong decision to take him off penalties.

Why did he hand the ball to Morelos? Morelos was having a bad game, he was probably asking him if he was up for it and if not he would have stepped up like a Captain and taken it. That's what a Captain does.

Back