This myth about Rangers in the 90s

Chapman billie

Fed up hearing about how Sunday was a role reversal of Rangers v Celtic games in the 90s. Celtic fans and plenty of our own saying that Celtic used to pummel us only for Goram to save us and us to steal a victory. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't remember us ever in the 90s going 90 minutes without a legitimate shot on target. These Rangers sides were always dangerous - with players like McCoist Huistra, Walters Laudrup and Hately they couldn't be anything else. Sure they could defend and yes sometimes Goram was the difference but nothing like Sunday. Only game that comes close was the 92 Scottish Cup semi - and we played with 10 men for 85 minutes that night.

Don't get me wrong there were times when they played far better than us and we had to rely on Goram as much as they did Foster, but it was never that one sided.

We had plenty of chances in these games though and they weren't anywhere near as one sided as Sunday.

I said yesterday, in my 30 odd year watching Rangers I genuinely can't remember such a one sided game against them when the team on top didn't go on to win by a good few goals.

The game for me that most resembled Sunday was the one at the piggery with Laudrups looping goal....... and it was Andy Dibble in goal that day not Goram

For me it was the game in March 2000 at their midden. Similar conditions, they pummelled us and Klos had an absolute blinder that night. Albertz missed a penalty with about 7 minutes left before Rod Wallace scored with about 2 or 3 minutes to go.

I have to admit, straight after the game on Sunday I thought it was like watching a role reversal of the 90s but since then none of the games that I can recall did they have us under the pressure we put them under on Sunday.

Been going to see Rangers for just over 37 years and honestly cannot remember Rangers winners no cups solely due to match officials.

Can certainly remember match officials costing us the opportunity to win trophies though.

Have we ever benefited fron eroneous officiating? Yip

I’ve never seen Rangers benefit from game-changing decisions from each of the 3 officials - ever

I asked one of them to name these games from the 90s where they dominated us for 95+ minutes and we had no shots on target apart from a winning goal which shouldn't have stood.

The belter of a reply I got was "most of them when Tommy Burns was our manager" :))

They are genuinely diseased in the mind.

Don't get me wrong there were times when they played far better than us and we had to rely on Goram as much as they did Foster, but it was never that one sided.

We had plenty of chances in these games though and they weren't anywhere near as one sided as Sunday.

I said yesterday, in my 30 odd year watching Rangers I genuinely can't remember such a one sided game against them when the team on top didn't go on to win by a good few goals.
Totally agree I have been going to games v them since 1982 and I can’t ever remember such a one sided game as we witnessed on Sunday.the myth about walter’s teams going to parkhead and getting outplayed and scoring the winner with one effort is a complete myth.we certainly sit in but we would create chances on the break

Big lurch did well for Ryan Jack's effort but all the other chances you would expect any half decent keeper to save. I think he played well but the chances we carved out were not clear cut. The penalty was poorly taken. In the 90s we pummeled them several times
Their keeper also carried a fair bit of luck as well, the one that he parried down through his legs which then bounced hit him on the ass and bounced out the way, could have gone anywhere.
I have no fears about playing them on the 29th.

I enjoyed that era but at times we were a pretty dross football team to watch, I don't think that is a rewrite or myth in all honesty.

We played effective winning and football and typically took our chances when Celtic made mistakes and they oft did with a comedy defense

By the time Burns was there they oft played what was the more ascetically pleasing football albeit were a flawed football team

For much of that era we were a chore to watch

A lot of Sunday did remind me of that era

Last edited:
I agree with Trevor_Steven and Dublin Bluenose's take on this. There were some occasions at Parkhead when we played on the break and soaked up a lot of pressure but we usually made good chances and took them.

Which was nice. :)

Same. I would like to know what specific matches people are on about when they say this.
Just to have a look at line-ups and stats etc.

Burns was in charge of the tims for 94/95, 95/96 and 96/97.

Season 94/95:
The mentally challengeds finished 4th in the league.
We won the league by 15 points.
They beat us 2-0 at Ibrox
We beat them 3-1 away (at Hampden)
1-1 Draw at Ibrox
They beat us 3-0 away (at Hampden)

Season 95/96:
mentally challengeds finished second.
We won the league by 4 points. 27 wins, 6 draws, 3 losses.
1-0 to us away in the League Cup
2-0 to us away in the league
3-3 at Ibrox in the league
0-0 at Parkhead in the league
1-1 at Ibrox in the league
2-1 to us at Hampden in Scottish Cup

Season 96/97:
We win the league by 5 points. 25 wins, 5 draws, 6 losses.
2-0 to us at Ibrox
1-0 to us at Parkhead
3-1 to us at Ibrox
They beat us 2-0 in the Scottish Cup at Parkhead
1-0 to us at Parkhead

Honestly, I don't see too many matches there that could really be comparable to Sunday.

More than that, I definitely don't see where the "Rangers are now Tommy Burn's Celtic" comes from.
We were rotten at Ibrox in September and got beat because we played so poorly.
Sunday was a bit of a shocker but it's WAY too early to contextualize that in the grand scheme.

We are capable of going there on the 29th and winning.
We won't be favorites but we are definitely capable.

It's too early to judge these kinds of things.
We go there on the 29th and win and suddenly all of this changes.

The "Tommy Burn's Celtic" comparison is not only way off but it's too early to make such a comparison anyway.

On top of all that it perpetuates the bullsh!t narrative that our 7, 8 and 9 in a row teams were somehow undeserving or lucky which is complete and utter nonsense.

The 90s have ruined them.

I loved the 90s what a decade to be alive, good team at the time, great football to watch in England and Italy, champions league was for champions, the music was better than this modern day crap, you could get a pint for a quid, you could smoke in a bar, some great concerts.

They missed out on so much due to their hatred of us.

Simon Donnelly was tweeting about how Sunday was payback for Jorge Cadete's offside goal at Ibrox.

23 years on and it still eats away at them. :D
I'm sure the FF fanzine cleared this up in the next issue.

He was offside when he handled it :cool:

League Cup QF in September 1995 and New Year game of 1996 they absolutely pummeled us from start to finish.
Was the 1996 NY game a 0-0 draw?

Remember an obese Goram pulling out the stops there one night and it ended up scoreless.

The only clear similarity between the two eras which are being compared was Foster's performance on Sunday was bordering on the Goram-esque. But we always had the better players back in the day, albeit at times we undersold ourselves (especially at Ibrox) in not matching their energy and ferocity

Fed up hearing about how Sunday was a role reversal of Rangers v Celtic games in the 90s. Celtic fans and plenty of our own saying that Celtic used to pummel us only for Goram to save us and us to steal a victory. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't remember us ever in the 90s going 90 minutes without a legitimate shot on target. These Rangers sides were always dangerous - with players like McCoist Huistra, Walters Laudrup and Hately they couldn't be anything else. Sure they could defend and yes sometimes Goram was the difference but nothing like Sunday. Only game that comes close was the 92 Scottish Cup semi - and we played with 10 men for 85 minutes that night.
Been making the same point. The only game which comes close was the semi final. We always created chances, its just that Goram made world class saves which stick in the memory and that is what has created this myth that they dominated games back then.

Was the 1996 NY game a 0-0 draw?

Remember an obese Goram pulling out the stops there one night and it ended up scoreless.

The only clear similarity between the two eras which are being compared was Foster's performance on Sunday was bordering on the Goram-esque. But we always had the better players back in the day, albeit at times we undersold ourselves (especially at Ibrox) in not matching their energy and ferocity

That's the one mate. Durie ended up playing as some sort of right wing back that night.

That's the game Burns uttered the 'Andy Goram broke my heart' line post match

The only game I remember that resembles anything like Sunday’s was a match at Ibrox when Trevor Stevens scored the only goal of the game. They pummelled us throughout the game but due to a combination of bad finishing by them, good defending and goalkeeping, they left Ibrox with nothing but our celebrations ringing in their ears.

Big lurch did well for Ryan Jack's effort but all the other chances you would expect any half decent keeper to save. I think he played well but the chances we carved out were not clear cut. The penalty was poorly taken. In the 90s we pummeled them several times
Correct all the shots were straight at him

League Cup QF in September 1995 and New Year game of 1996 they absolutely pummeled us from start to finish.

Them 2 and the 1992 Cup semi final are the only games they pummeled us in the 90's. Gazza hit the bar with a free kick in the 1996 game.

For me it was the game in March 2000 at their midden. Similar conditions, they pummelled us and Klos had an absolute blinder that night. Albertz missed a penalty with about 7 minutes left before Rod Wallace scored with about 2 or 3 minutes to go.

I have to admit, straight after the game on Sunday I thought it was like watching a role reversal of the 90s but since then none of the games that I can recall did they have us under the pressure we put them under on Sunday.
i was at this game and remember thinking at the end how the hell did we win that,i dont think its a myth to say we got a few lucky wins at parkhead, ,tommy burns once said he would get andy goram broke my heart on his grave which tells a lot about those games,we just knew how to win back then,Klos was great that night but Goram was incredible in games under walter in the 90s

Simon Donnelly was tweeting about how Sunday was payback for Jorge Cadete's offside goal at Ibrox.

23 years on and it still eats away at them. :D

I was listening to the first episode of the H&H top 50 Rangers games earlier and that match came on. The thing I noticed when listening to it was that you can hear the refs whistle quite clearly before Cadete hits the shot, so this pish about it being chopped off is just that. Play was stopped before Cadete got his shot away.

Have to admit it’s nice that still riles them 23 years later.

That's the one mate. Durie ended up playing as some sort of right wing back that night.

That's the game Burns uttered the 'Andy Goram broke my heart' line post match
And Gazza rattled the bar with a free kick. Still made more chances than they did on Sunday!

Think memories are playing tricks with people. There were games where they pummeled us and we walked away with the points.
I remember fine well being at games,where 90 mins felt like about 3 hours and Andy goram was especially a stand out then.

Tommy burns it was who said when I die please put on my gravestone that Andy goram broke my heart,that was taken as a compliment and it wasnt far wrong. Best rangers keeper ever.

Agree with earlier poster,we had better players up front who took the chance when it came along. Apart from van vossen

Them 2 and the 1992 Cup semi final are the only games they pummeled us in the 90's. Gazza hit the bar with a free kick in the 1996 game.
Davie Robertson sent off in the first few minutrs, biblical rainfall, backs to the wall performance, Goram unbeatable and Ally pops up with a winner, it totally destroyed them

Think memories are playing tricks with people. There were games where they pummeled us and we walked away with the points.
I remember fine well being at games,where 90 mins felt like about 3 hours and Andy goram was especially a stand out then.

Tommy burns it was who said when I die please put on my gravestone that Andy goram broke my heart,that was taken as a compliment and it wasnt far wrong. Best rangers keeper ever.

Agree with earlier poster,we had better players up front who took the chance when it came along. Apart from van vossen

What games though?
We played them 15 times when Burns was their manager.
We won 8. 4 draws. 3 wins for them.

So far people are citing a 0-0 draw in the 95/96 season.

That's this one:

Difficult to find a match report but from the highlights there we did have a couple of decent opportunities.

Marshall made a cracking save from Gough. Then another from Laudrup. Another from Salenko.
Gazza hit the bar.

Seriously. Anyone reading this go and watch those highlights and tell me how we didn't deserve AT LEAST a draw from that match.

We've basically allowed tims in the media to rewrite our history on this one.

The game it most reminded me of was the League Cup semi final from ‘92, also played in the pouring rain, IIRC, when Robertson was sent off early on and they then battered us for the remainder of the game, yet somehow we sneaked the win thanks to McCoist.

But even that game wasn’t as one sided as Sunday’s.

What games though?
We played them 15 times when Burns was their manager.
We won 8. 4 draws. 3 wins for them.

So far people are citing a 0-0 draw in the 95/96 season.

That's this one:

Difficult to find a match report but from the highlights there we did have a couple of decent opportunities.

Marshall made a cracking save from Gough. Then another from Laudrup. Another from Salenko.
Gazza hit the bar.

Seriously. Anyone reading this go and watch those highlights and tell me how we didn't deserve AT LEAST a draw from that match.

We've basically allowed tims in the media to rewrite our history on this one.
Cant remember them all but I know there were times I was happy to get out their midden with the points.
I'm not undermining rangers,as we had a top class defence with a world class keeper and were lethal with the counter attack.

It's laziness by pundits and our own supporters who probably weren't even there. Worse, however, is our own players spouting this pish. Soft, pussywhipped cucks who're desperate for timmy to love them. Note to them: they still hate your f#cking guts.

I think a lot of this stems from what I remember from those days is that we tended to, what felt like deliberately, let them have a lot of the ball in their own half/1st third of ours. Mostly as soon as they got near to us, we'd take the ball off them and within 3-4 passes be in range to have a shot.

Sometimes I felt it looked like, every so often, our players thought 'sod this for a laugh, time for a goal', string said 3-4 passes together and then the scum goalie would be picking the ball out the net 20-30 seconds later.

It's laziness by pundits and our own supporters who probably weren't even there. Worse, however, is our own players spouting this pish. Soft, pussywhipped cucks who're desperate for timmy to love them. Note to them: they still hate your f#cking guts.
Your wrong. I was at every game in them days and there were games we were under pressure,but we soaked it up to steal the points.

It's what we done and we done it well

The only game I remember that resembles anything like Sunday’s was a match at Ibrox when Trevor Stevens scored the only goal of the game. They pummelled us throughout the game but due to a combination of bad finishing by them, good defending and goalkeeping, they left Ibrox with nothing but our celebrations ringing in their ears.

Agreed - was just about to post that. The semi at Hampden when McCoist scored and we won 1-0 with 10 men. Also reckon we took a bit of a doing in the cup match at the piggery when McCoist headed home Gazza's cross and we won 1-0.

Back